Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Blacklight dev: 'Sony is really in to win this one'

Sony revealed several more indie titles last night during the Game Developers Conference that are set to hit the PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3, and even PlayStation 4. Sony has been showing a lot of support to smaller developers, and even courting PC titles such as Blacklight: Retribution into the fold.

Jared Gerritzen, studio head and creative director at Zombie Studios, told me that Sony has been, "very, very proactive" with the relationship and sees this movement as their grand plan to win the next-generation.

"I think Sony is really in to win this one," Jared tells me. "I'm good friends with a lot of guys at Microsoft, I'm under their NDA flag, and Microsoft definitely has a different outlook than Sony does. Sony, like they say 'Yeah, PlayStation 3 wasn't what we wanted it to be in comparison in the "arms" race.'

"So now they're going hard, man. It's pretty cool, on all points. I think that it will be really interesting to see what Xbox fires back with. It'll be an awesome E3. Sony is just like, 'GO! GO! GO! Let's make this hardcore! Let's get all these devs in and let's make it as good as we can.'"

Furthermore, Sony is going beyond simply approving projects to offer more direct support to independent developers like Zombie. "They could have just been like, 'Yeah, put it on the PlayStation 4. Cool,'" Jared told me. "But they're sending us kits, they're sending us everything, they're pulling us into PR groups, they're setting up these events for us, and it's just awesome."

It's especially significant that Sony is working with Zombie "considering the game's been out, most publishers had been 'yeah we don't understand cause the game's already out so whatever.' But [Sony's] been really awesome. 'Yeah let's get this, here you can talk to these guys, let's introduce you.' It's been really, really cool."

Check out my full interview with Jared where we discuss the fear of self-publishing, and how the studio imagines using the PlayStation 4 controller's touch pad.
    via Destructoid.

I agree. I think we're going to have a very exciting E3 this year.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-27-2013 at 04:44.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    You may want to add this one as well to this thread.
    http://www.destructoid.com/blackligh...4-249645.phtml

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Can't wait to see the actual hardware design of the PS4.

Master Guru
    E3 is going to be beyond amazing this year. Sony will no doubt steal the show like they always do.

Banned

Sony was always in to win with PS3 too. They are just modifying their approach this time under new management.

Interested to know what he meant by different outlook for MS. I'm gonna assume it has to do with Kinect integration. April will tell us.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    He added fuel to the 720 rumored direction.

7. Likes IAmBlutoo, x_terna likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Atleast someone cares about us hardcore gamers.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

9. Likes IAmBlutoo, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony's momentum going into next gen in stellar. MS better pull something badass out its hat, cause if its about kinect, apps and media, as most rumors point to, competition might not be so fierce. MS has to be 100% about games, cause Sony clearly is.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Sony was always in to win with PS3 too. They are just modifying their approach this time under new management.

Interested to know what he meant by different outlook for MS. I'm gonna assume it has to do with Kinect integration. April will tell us.
    Do you feel that this is not a better approach than last time?

Super Elite
    "I think Sony is really in to win this one," Jared tells me. "I'm good friends with a lot of guys at Microsoft, I'm under their NDA flag, and Microsoft definitely has a different outlook than Sony does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    He added fuel to the 720 rumored direction.
    he'll probably get in trouble for that.

13. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony's momentum going into next gen in stellar. MS better pull something badass out its hat, cause if its about kinect, apps and media, as most rumors point to, competition might not be so fierce. MS has to be 100% about games, cause Sony clearly is.
    Just remember all the momentum the PS3 supposedly was gonna have after such and such announcement.... game release.....price drop..... more IPs...free online.... Blu-Ray...... etc etc. It could happen..... but the Xbox brand's obituary has been predicted more times then I care to remember. We all know how that played out. Hell.... did ANYBODY see the Wii sales numbers coming? Nope.

So be careful with the $#@!y predictions..... it's burned many PlayStation fans over the last 7 years. PS3 and 360 are about even in console base numbers the LAST year of this gen. They have CLEARLY lost mindshare.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Do you feel that this is not a better approach than last time?
    Their better approach this time is.... they came out with a console that's easy to program. Something Sony hasn't released since the PS1 back in the 1994! They also seem to have dropped their arrogant statements and attitude. Not to say that arrogant attitude won't come back, but so far so good. This is a much better Sony now.

That doesn't mean they are gonna wipe the floor with anyone. Cuz we know how well predictions of the Sony brand have worked out. Just ask the PS3 and Vita. PS3 is even with the 360 and despite the recent price drop, Vita is still way behind the 3DS in total sales.

15. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Just remember all the momentum the PS3 supposedly was gonna have after such and such announcement.... game release.....price drop..... more IPs...free online.... Blu-Ray...... etc etc. It could happen..... but the Xbox brand's obituary has been predicted more times then I care to remember. We all know how that played out. Hell.... did ANYBODY see the Wii sales numbers coming? Nope.

So be careful with the $#@!y predictions..... it's burned many PlayStation fans over the last 7 years. PS3 and 360 are about even in console base numbers the LAST year of this gen. They have CLEARLY lost mindshare.

Their better approach this time is.... they came out with a console that's easy to program. Something Sony hasn't released since the PS1 back in the 1994! They also seem to have dropped their arrogant statements and attitude. Not to say that arrogant attitude won't come back, but so far so good. This is a much better Sony now.

That doesn't mean they are gonna wipe the floor with anyone. Cuz we know how well predictions of the Sony brand have worked out. Just ask the PS3 and Vita. PS3 is even with the 360 and despite the recent price drop, Vita is still way behind the 3DS in total sales.
    This is a bit different this time around. There was a bunch of talk from fans. This time there is talk from devs praising Sony. Understandably why but there is a strong support from devs from the day it was announced. PS3 did not have this to my knowledge. Mostly just talk from fans.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Master Sage
    Kinect saved the 360 from being passed a few years ago. People love bringing up "Ps3 core titles don't sell as much as 360 titles" "Move isn't a success compared to kinect" "Sony messed this and that up" "360 is cheaper" and with all that said, the ps3 sells more YOY. If MS at their best can only tie a supposedly "$#@!ed up, struggling Sony", then what are they going to do when Sony gets their act together from day 1 and not a few years into the console life?

Sony is clearly headed in the right direction with a full tank of gas. The only thing they need to do next is price the console in what's considered the "affordable" range. Basically at $399.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-27-2013 at 09:08.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Kinect saved the 360 from being passed a few years ago. People love bringing up "Ps3 core titles don't sell as much as 360 titles" "Move isn't a success compared to kinect" "Sony messed this and that up" "360 is cheaper" and with all that said, the ps3 sells more YOY. If MS at their best can only tie a supposedly "$#@!ed up, struggling Sony", then what are they going to do when Sony gets their act together from day 1 and not a few years into the console life?

Sony is clearly head in the right direction with a full tank of gas. The only thing they need to do next is price the console in what's considered the "affordable" range. Basically at $399.
    Yep...

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Tall poppy syndrome all up in this $#@! .

Lessons learned from the past...check
    Developer guided console creation...check
    Powerful next gen console...check
    Sony opening up the console...check
    Developers drooling over tech and Sony's new approach...check
    A dozen current gen exclusives continuing the tradition of unwavering console support in the year of next gen console...check

The writing's on the wall...when developers are happy, gamers will be happy. Keep bringing up the past there Koaster...lol The present must seem a lot less palatable.
    Last edited by Ghost; 03-27-2013 at 09:10.

20. Likes HellsJester , Two4DaMoney , x_terna likes this post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    This is a bit different this time around. There was a bunch of talk from fans. This time there is talk from devs praising Sony. Understandably why but there is a strong support from devs from the day it was announced. PS3 did not have this to my knowledge. Mostly just talk from fans.
    Devs were praising the PS3 too. The only bad things they said about it was how hard it was to program. Beyond that it was all praise.

Sony is clearly head in the right direction with a full tank of gas. The only thing they need to do next is price the console in what's considered the "affordable" range. Basically at $399.
    Kinect saved them? First of all that's an assumption considering we will never know what would have happened had it not released. 2nd... you say that dismissively. Why.... cuz Microsoft was more successful at grabbing the casual crowd then Sony was with their much less expensive Move?

I love these dismissive statements. Kinda reminds me of when Sony would do a price drop and it was praised as a "brilliant move" and when Microsoft did the same with the 360, it was dismissively called an "act of desperation" by the same people who praised Sony for doing the exact same thing. So...Sony=Brilliant and Microsoft=Desperate.

As for this part of what you said ....

If MS at their best can only tie a supposedly "$#@!ed up, struggling Sony", then what are they going to do when Sony gets their act together from day 1 and not a few years into the console life?
    Microsoft at their best? Microsoft had the most AGAINST them...... They had a console that was less powerful.... had only a DVD drive (no Blu-Ray)... had no free online play.... had RROD issues.... less console gaming brand recognition then Sony.... had a previous console that was outsold 5:1 by Sony......had less IPs then Sony....had less first party devs then Sony...... is a company that has a bad reputation in the OS world and sued by the EU..... has 7 years LESS console gaming experience then Sony...... etc etc etc.

Sony was only struggling in comparison to the blockbuster success of the PS1 and PS2. They weren't struggling in comparison to the Xbox 360. Although behind the 360, they stayed in the hunt. They had just about everything going for them on paper over the Xbox 360 and yet 4 out of 5 PS2 owners went to the 360 and other platforms instead. That's a clear loss of mind share. Obviously either they saw no reason to stay or they saw greener grass elsewhere. Either way ...they left.

You act like Microsoft at it's best could only match a severely handicapped Sony like some governing body slapped unfair crippling sanctions on them.

Sony had the goods, the reputation, experience, the brand name, the better tech, free online, Blu-Ray, more IPs, more 1st party devs and ESPECIALLY a 100+ million PS2 owner pool to draw from and a "it only does everything" mantra and still only managed to match Microsoft in the last year of the gen.

You obviously give little credit to Microsoft and put most of the blame on Sony instead of what Microsoft could have gotten right. But in truth.... I don't think it's mostly Sony's fault. I think it had a lot to do with the natural rise and fall that happens to big brands. Apple iPhone was the in thing for years.... now it's the Samsung Galaxy line. It happens.

Plus people WANTED to move over to the Xbox 360. Most people don't plop down hundreds of dollars to buy a console to only carry them until the PS3 comes out. They would just buy PS2 games to hold them over or put the money down or in full on a PS3 console.

So play the victim status card for Sony all you want. Microsoft had all the cards stacked against them as I listed above and yet they prevailed up to this year. That had NOTHING to do with a "$#@!ed up, struggling Sony" and had more to do with PS2 console owners moving on elsewhere. Simple as that.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 03-27-2013 at 09:33.

Master Sage

Lessons learned from the past...check
    Developer guided console creation...check
    Powerful next gen console...check
    Sony opening up the console...check
    Developers drooling over tech and Sony's new approach...check
    A dozen current gen exclusives continuing the tradition of unwavering console support in the year of next gen console...check

The writing's on the wall...when developers are happy, gamers will be happy. Keep bringing up the past there Koaster...lol The present must seem a lot less palatable.
    indeed. i have added another member to my ignore list. i hope he doesnt waste his time responding to me with his usual type of spin. It'd be so pointless now.

23. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Finally You Are Free

Koaster makes very reasonable and strong points. He's stating it's not wise to make sudden and new predictions of success when we've seen implored fanbase promise fail before. Microsoft has clearly encroached and stolen ground from the supposedly rock-solid PlayStation brand. Don't forget all the articles and gamers in 2006-2008 espousing the age of glory the PS3 would eventually bring in -- history has proven to us the potential of fallibility. Please, let's not renew the mentality of shutting down anything that isn't fully glorifying Sony and their products. I say that to the entire forum.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Koaster makes very reasonable and strong points. He's stating it's not wise to make sudden and new predictions of success when we've seen implored fanbase promise fail before. Microsoft has clearly encroached and stolen ground from the supposedly rock-solid PlayStation brand. Don't forget all the articles and gamers in 2006-2008 espousing the age of glory the PS3 would eventually bring in -- history has proven to us the potential of fallibility. Please, let's not renew the mentality of shutting down anything that isn't fully glorifying Sony and their products. I say that to the entire forum.

Optimism = bad
    Last edited by HellsJester; 03-27-2013 at 10:16.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Every genration is a fresh start. Bringing up the past means very little until there is a pattern. Sony $#@!ed up one generation out of the 3 it has been part of, and by $#@!ed up I mean making some bad choices. The result of those bad choices still had PS3 on equal footing with 360 after 2 generation of being console king. All I'm saying is that $#@! is looking good for Sony, and most tend to agree.
    Last edited by Ghost; 03-27-2013 at 10:29.

27. Likes IAmBlutoo, HellsJester likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Optimism = bad
    It's important to actually understand the post to which you're responding to.

Every genration is a fresh start. Bringing up the past means very little until there is a pattern. Sony $#@!ed up one generation out of the 3 it has been part of, and by $#@!ed up I mean making some bad choices. All I'm saying is that $#@! is looking good for Sony, and most tend to agree.
    Don't sidestep my point. Again, Koaster made fair arguments in his responses, and he shouldn't be open for yours or anyone's lambasting for making them. As for your response, I don't find it to be logical or reasonable. Every failure or missed mark suffered to Sony is a result of a new start. Stating that it looks good for them now is not an excuse as it's looked good for them before. History has spoken, and it's shown itself to be entirely relevant to this now.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Hopefully not every game next-gen is a damn F2P title

Did this topic get out of control?

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Always retreating behind business statistics and perceived hubris is hardly what I'd call reasonable and strong points. None of us are shareholders (although frankly I'm starting to wonder) so what the hell do you care about what a money making behemoth MS are? They're an anti-consumer corporation and deserve every bit of negative press they've ever had and more. Clearly one person in this thread finds it painful that his favourite multinational company has a bad reputation. Aww diddums.

And acting as if the PS3 is some kind of dirty mistake? Sod off, the PS3 is currently the best console on the market and has been since '07.

32. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Banned

Every genration is a fresh start. Bringing up the past means very little until there is a pattern. Sony $#@!ed up one generation out of the 3 it has been part of, and by $#@!ed up I mean making some bad choices. The result of those bad choices still had PS3 on equal footing with 360 after 2 generation of being console king. All I'm saying is that $#@! is looking good for Sony, and most tend to agree.
    I think you are being way too hard on Sony. I don't think they $#@!ed up nearly as bad as people say. They made a couple minor missteps, but nothing even coming close to losing 4 out of 5 PS2 users over. Other than being arrogant the first couple years and some weird marketing.... it still doesn't come even close to explaining that level of exodus.

I'd say it's a little bit of Sony's fault, a lot to do with MS upping their game and maybe even that mysterious "fickle" factor that has hit major brands of all kinds. Look at Sears, Kmart, Hostess foods, etc etc... they were big brands for decades and yet faltered.

I agree things are looking good for PS4 and Sony. I don't take issue with that. It's the "PS4 has next gen dominated"-type $#@!iness that was also exhibited with the PS3 announcement that turns me off. People like optimism in people..... nobody likes $#@!iness in people no matter what the subject matter.

People were very $#@!y over the PS3 and look at how that turned out..... a dead heat with Xbox 360 7 years later. Not exactly anything to be $#@!y about now is it?

Thread Information