Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Sony is envious of the cash-in Microsoft has made from XBL Gold. What company wouldn't be? You have millions and millions of people shelling out 50$ (or more) a year -- that's a lot of money. Nothing egregious about what you quoted. :s
    I very much doubt Sony is sitting there right now saying.....I wish I were microsoft.. kind of stupid if you really think about it.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Dedicated Member
    If your thread title has to start with "one source..." you're probably better off not posting the thread at all.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I doubt it'll be pay to play but this console is getting $#@!tier by the second and if this turns out true I won't be getting one at all.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well while we're not sure if this is even true, regardless....you know Sony looks at Xbox Live and is envious of the money it's bringing in to Microsoft. As a business... you know they'd like that income too. The trick is if they could get away with it without losing too many customers. Microsoft has and I'm betting Sony could pull it off if their exclusives are too good to pass up.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I very much doubt Sony is sitting there right now saying.....I wish I were microsoft.. kind of stupid if you really think about it.
    I doubt that too, because that is stupid and unlikely. What isn't stupid is stating that Sony may be jealous of the profits MS is pulling in due to a business practice.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    I doubt that too, because that is stupid and unlikely. What isn't stupid is stating that Sony may be jealous of the profits MS is pulling in due to a business practice.
    But sony already makes a huge profit using Home and Plus, I really doubt this rumor has any legs to stand on, next gen Home will probably be profitable again.

Thank you itachi

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    But sony already makes a huge profit using Home and Plus, I really doubt this rumor has any legs to stand on, next gen Home will probably be profitable again.
    Neither of those are anywhere as profitable as XBL.

Also, I keep forgetting that Home exists. lol

Dat Guy
    Neither of those are anywhere as profitable as XBL.

Also, I keep forgetting that Home exists. lol
    I dunno about that, wouldn't be suprised if Home wasn't making alot, I knew it was close to the millions at one point, not sure nowadays, I can see a bit of jump with the new harry potter content coming which links to the pottermore site, and the dr who stuff.

Thank you itachi

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Whilst LIVE is clearly extremely profitable for MS, there's something to be said for other models. The more players you have on your system not restricted by a paywall, the more are likely to spend money on DLC map packs and that sort of thing. Microtransations in Home is a fair point, you have masses of people, 1% of them reach for their wallets and you are making money.

I just hope Sony feel that alternative methods are lucrative enough to not go with a flat subscription for online play. PS+ was a brilliant move and is great for the consumer as well as for Sony.

Finally You Are Free
    I dunno about that, wouldn't be suprised if Home wasn't making alot, I knew it was close to the millions at one point, not sure nowadays, I can see a bit of jump with the new harry potter content coming which links to the pottermore site, and the dr who stuff.
    It's impossible. The numbers of people, buyers, and bought content just isn't there. It is profitable to itself, but I doubt it's bringing in serious cash. PS+ is probably a nice income, but it still can't compare to XBL. It's no contest -- not even close.

Dat Guy
    It's impossible. The numbers of people, buyers, and bought content just isn't there. It is profitable to itself, but I doubt it's bringing in serious cash. PS+ is probably a nice income, but it still can't compare to XBL. It's no contest -- not even close.
    it can't compare but it does bring in some serious cash, got to remember the companies pay to put there product in home, then people buy it, and Home still has quite a big following.

Thank you itachi

Apprentice
    same thing pretty much. People should get off of MS high horse, it's getting old now.

Finally You Are Free
    it can't compare but it does bring in some serious cash, got to remember the companies pay to put there product in home, then people buy it, and Home still has quite a big following.
    I think I see Home mentioned once or twice a year, but OK.

Anyways, this isn't about Home or PS+ being profitable. It goes without saying really, as everyone here probably knows they bring in profits. It was about Sony being jealous of the big pie slice MS has.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/02/mic...-subscription/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/xb...-top-30-milli/

That is, if we presume the monetary count to be 50$ for standard reasons, 750 million dollars in that year alone. That's one year. There's no way Home or PS+ is anywhere close to this, which was the whole point here. No doubt Sony considered going this route; the temptation is too high for a business. But I hope and think that they haven't, so good on them if that's the case.

same thing pretty much. People should get off of MS high horse, it's getting old now.
    No. That's not the same thing whatsoever. You can be jealous of a specific thing without wanting to be that person. Less strawman, please.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 03-27-2013 at 23:34.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim

Will be doing this if true! Sony better not betray us again.

Apprentice
    I think I see Home mentioned once or twice a year, but OK.

Anyways, this isn't about Home or PS+ being profitable. It goes without saying really, as everyone here probably knows they bring in profits. It was about Sony being jealous of the big pie slice MS has.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/02/mic...-subscription/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/05/xb...-top-30-milli/

That is, if we presume the monetary count to be 50$ for standard reasons, 750 million dollars in that year alone. That's one year. There's no way Home or PS+ is anywhere close to this, which was the whole point here. No doubt Sony considered going this route; the temptation is too high for a business. But I hope and think that they haven't, so good on them if that's the case.

No. That's not the same thing whatsoever. You can be jealous of a specific thing without wanting to be that person. Less strawman, please.
    it is the same so deal with it. It's stupid to sit there and think that a company is thinking about the money MS has, like they didn't know for the past 20+ years. They didn't just make billions upon billions of dollars because of Xbox. Most of that money they made was from windows. wtf

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Oh noes (if true)!
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I call bull$#@!. There will be subscriptions for sure, but online play will remain free. It's one of those core DNA aspects that just won't be dropped.
    I dont think its bs i came across this story on many sites few days ago.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Finally You Are Free
    it is the same so deal with it.
    No it isn't. There's a factual difference based upon logical axioms. You're wrong. That's all there is to it.

It's stupid to sit there and think that a company is thinking about the money MS has, like they didn't know for the past 20+ years. They didn't just make billions upon billions of dollars because of Xbox. Most of that money they made was from windows. wtf
    You're just being nonsensical and obtuse now. This is overlooking the subject at hand.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    More BS and if true, then i will pass
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Yeah Fudzilla.com sounds like one of the most reliable sources on the net that everyone should trust 100%.
    And women like men who dress like potato.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    I dont think its bs i came across this story on many sites few days ago.
    As far as I am aware none of the other sites mention anything about pay-to-play(which I believe is what he was talking about as bs). The other sites are posting about the interview with Shuhei Yoshida (I posted the link on the first page of this thread). The interview is nearly identical to what fudzilla posted minus the pay-to-play; which I believe is just fudzilla or the "source" giving their own twist.

In the interview Shuhei Yoshida talks about using tier services for more content such as streaming services like Gaikai. He mentions nothing about pay-to-play.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    The difference between MS and Sony is MS has been doing it since day one. Sony does this they are putting themselves in for a world of hurt. I for one wont pay for it if it's true.
    I just don't see pay to play happening.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Forum Overseer
    This is a strong point for Sony amongst many gamers. We've been seeing the 'many options' service tipped in rumors and articles, and for me this is an inclination that at some level online play will remain free. Sony can work it in and still have a nice profit from the subscriptions.

Though, it's not much of a concern for me as I don't play online much anyways.

p.s. At the very least Sony could just undercut Microsoft in this area to still pull core gamers. If this were to happen I don't see it damning them whatsoever in the long run if they plan it intelligently.
    Sony is envious of the cash-in Microsoft has made from XBL Gold. What company wouldn't be? You have millions and millions of people shelling out 50$ (or more) a year -- that's a lot of money. Nothing egregious about what you quoted. :s
    You can't find me a single reason to justify paying for online play.

I don't know why everyone's freaking out when they already confirmed online + x-game chat to be free. Not to mention, it's already free on Vita, why would they deviate?

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You can't find me a single reason to justify paying for online play.
    Same. I paid for a year of XBL, and by the end of the year when the re-subscription was looming I realized it really wasn't worth it. By then I had my PS3 and gaming PC (before my current one). To be fair, I can understand the idea of paying to support an online platform you enjoy. These companies do spend their money to provide these services. I could at least be adamant if the prices were just cheaper (like 5-10$ a year). That's not necessarily terrible.

But 50$ for a year, to me, is a massive rip-off. Others (Sony, Valve, even EA!) provide the same damn thing for cheaper or no cost.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    If this turns out to be true I won't mind as long as the price is reasonable. Can't blame sony for doing it because they see the huge profits MS is getting from theirs. I guess in the end sony loves the big bucks too.

Thread Information