Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Same. I paid for a year of XBL, and by the end of the year when the re-subscription was looming I realized it really wasn't worth it. By then I had my PS3 and gaming PC (before my current one). To be fair, I can understand the idea of paying to support an online platform you enjoy. These companies do spend their money to provide these services. I could at least be adamant if the prices were just cheaper (like 5-10$ a year). That's not necessarily terrible.

But 50$ for a year, to me, is a massive rip-off. Others (Sony, Valve, even EA!) provide the same damn thing for cheaper or no cost.
    Yeah the price doesn't justify the worth to me.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Same. I paid for a year of XBL, and by the end of the year when the re-subscription was looming I realized it really wasn't worth it. By then I had my PS3 and gaming PC (before my current one). To be fair, I can understand the idea of paying to support an online platform you enjoy. These companies do spend their money to provide these services. I could at least be adamant if the prices were just cheaper (like 5-10$ a year). That's not necessarily terrible.

But 50$ for a year, to me, is a massive rip-off. Others (Sony, Valve, even EA!) provide the same damn thing for cheaper or no cost.
    I agree, now do understand that I worded that cleverly, I think the pay-to-play was still worth it up until now but moving forward from here on, I don't think it is at all.

Because before there was no way to get all the features Live had on any other console or handheld, but now it will be. The PC argument can always come in but just talking about consoles, it was definitely only available on 360.

So even if it was a little high, and that's why a lot of people here said they look for deals, it was still worth it at some point depending on how much you need the features and how much you use them. If you're playing with your friends all the time, what is a mere $50 for ease of use and something that actually works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    If this turns out to be true I won't mind as long as the price is reasonable. Can't blame sony for doing it because they see the huge profits MS is getting from theirs. I guess in the end sony loves the big bucks too.
    You'd pay for online moving forward?

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You'd pay for online moving forward?
    As long as I can still pay monthly I would. I wouldn't pay if they didn't offer that.

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't really care, if it is true. I rarely play online.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I don't use Home anymore but it does make a $#@!load of money for Sony.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    Hey, if it's pay to play on PSN on the PS4 oh well. Times have changed. Nothing lasts forever.

Sony took a major loss with the PS3 by not charging for online play. I'm not going to expect them to keep it free forever.

Plus i already pay for PS+. So add in online play as part of that package and i say no harm no foul.

Veteran
    This thought doesn't even cross my mind, this whole rumor is STUPID and RIDICULOUS.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    I dunno about that, wouldn't be suprised if Home wasn't making alot, I knew it was close to the millions at one point, not sure nowadays, I can see a bit of jump with the new harry potter content coming which links to the pottermore site, and the dr who stuff.
    Didn't Wonderbook bomb? I clearly remember a Sony rep from Europe or the UK saying they were very disappointed in it's sales there. Not sure about anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    it is the same so deal with it. It's stupid to sit there and think that a company is thinking about the money MS has, like they didn't know for the past 20+ years. They didn't just make billions upon billions of dollars because of Xbox. Most of that money they made was from windows. wtf
    Sony doesn't think about the money Microsoft has any more then Samsung cares about the money Apple has. What they DO care about is how much money they are making in the fields or products in which they compete. Once Samsung saw the money Apple was making with the iPhone, they started making phones that looked and whose user interface mimicked the iPhone's touch display based OS. Then Samsung saw the success of the iPad and started doing that too.

BTW....fun fact... Steve Jobs said the iPad was developed before the iPhone .....but was put on the back burner cuz they thought the iPhone would be a better test of if consumers would want such a device.

Anyways....Sony saw the success Nintendo was having with it's motion controlled Wii and made the Move to cash in too. Microsoft had a gamercard with a gamerscore and Sony produced the whole trophy thing and score to compete. So if Sony sees another company making money in a field they share, you know Sony is thinking about it even if they don't ultimately copy the idea.

Wikipedia says Microsoft announced 40 million Xbox Live users. If the subscription rate is still 50% and for the sake of keeping it simple...we say those users are all paying the full $60 price..... that's a whopping $1.2 BILLION dollars! Even if we take into those few people that get deals on the subs, most pay the full price. So we're likely talking $1 BILLION dollars at least. You don't think Sony isn't going...daaaaaamyum.... $1 Billion a year pretty much guaranteed would certainly help with the financials of our company.

So you can say Sony doesn't care.... but they do if they like money. It all depends if they have the guts to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    The difference between MS and Sony is MS has been doing it since day one. Sony does this they are putting themselves in for a world of hurt. I for one wont pay for it if it's true.
    I just don't see pay to play happening.
    Truly unlimited data plans started coming to an end at Verizon and AT&T once one of them tried it first and the other saw they didn't pay a heavy price in customers. They tried weening off programs to persuade to move to other plans like slowing their data rates to a snails pace after so much bandwidth used.

So just cuz you did something before doesn't mean it will always be. It's the risk Vs. reward factor. If they can take in more money then they'd potentially lose in customers and the loss of income from them..... most businesses will do it.

Ultimate Veteran
    I believe that the pay-to-play online model does more harm than good as a long-term strategy

1. First and foremost, from a consumers rights standpoint, charging $60 for a game that you may or may not be able to play in full form is dishonest and abusive. Many games are architected around the idea that they are a multiplayer-first type of experience (Battlefield 3 comes to mind, but there are certainly many more.) The idea that a company would willingly take someone's $60 for a "tacked on campaign mode" if you're not paying some extortion money each year is preposterous. No ifs ands or buts.

2. The psychological effect of paying for something better has been obliterated and steamrolled out of existence in an open market. When Microsoft introduced Live to the PC, it belly flopped so hard the imagination boggled. I'm not mentioning this to merely pee in anyone's cheerios or get into any argument. The fact is fact and it is a matter of record. When given a choice, people WILL turn away from the paid online model. This is likely why there will never be an XBox console that breaks the 100 million mark. The paid online model may net some nice bells and whistles, but it alienates the product from the majority of consumers as well.

3. Eventually, if all game consoles used a subscription method wall to keep gamers offline, publishers would wise up.. The reason being? Game sales will drop. Consumers that would otherwise make a game purchase will opt for games that are strictly offline. Ironic? Oh, very much so. While you are paying for "a better online experience" you will have fewer people to enjoy that experience with. It won't happen in the space of a generation, but in two or so? People will naturally migrate to PC gaming or mobile gaming to take the place of consoles. Consoles won't even be seen as fun anymore, but rather just another bill that could be knocked off the old paycheck stub.

Consoles were always supposed to be simple and convenient way to enjoy gaming. Once you start making people subscribe to features, you are ruining the formula that made gaming such a success up to this generation. I don't even want to argue my points, because imho, they are non-negotiable. If I could rub a crystal ball and see the future of an alternate universe, I would imagine that if both MS and Sony make pay-walls to their online service that the WiiU will come out of nowhere and manhandle the generation. One thing is for sure, very few people will have both a PS4 and a 720, because paying $100 or more a year just to plug an ethernet jack in your consoles is $#@!ing ridiculous.

10. Likes snooper71, VayMasters86, Omar, Arn3lis likes this post
    Elite Member
    Dont stand a chance of being Pay 2 Play online!!!

why would Sony do such a thing when there are layout options for gamers/users

2 options are either

1) PS+ with a certain cost a year or for another cost for first 3/6 months as a tryout, then other option is
    2) a non-PS+ member where users just log in an play online.

put it anyway you want because fact no matter which way it goes ppl will still buy map packs, PSN games, avaters, movies, music ect ect with or without PS+ iv never been a PS+ memeber but i know all about it! as a stand point i still bought things from via PSstore like games an map packs! but if gamers want the additional things then thats there choice. because 'Choice' for me is a good thing so SONY give gamers a choice dont start this pay 2 play garbage with no choice you will lose fan base where users luv free online play.
    Last edited by nextgen3; 03-28-2013 at 19:08.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post

Per Year.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post

2 options are either

1) PS+ with a certain cost a year or for another cost for first 3/6 months as a tryout, then other option is
    2) a non-PS+ member where users just log in an play online.

put it anyway you want because fact no matter which way it goes ppl will still buy map packs, PSN games, avaters, movies, music ect ect with or without PS+ iv never been a PS+ memeber but i know all about it! as a stand point i still bought things from via PSstore like games an map packs! but if gamers want the additional things then thats there choice. because 'Choice' for me is a good thing so SONY give gamers a choice dont start this pay 2 play garbage with no choice you will lose fan base where users luv free online play.
    Sony is going to continue with the packages I'll bet anything on it. They will have different packages but no one will be forced to pay an online fee through the PS4 unless it's a MMORPG subscription based game. Sony is going to push more MMO games with the PS4 than anything else.

I wouldn't worry about it man, don't believe said "source" until it comes from Sony in the Pay to play online department.

Master Guru
    I reckon online play will remain free, but they'll make ps+ more attractive with new features.

Ultimate Veteran
    If they charge for some of the fancy bells and whistles they showed off, that is their prerogative and I might even be willing to pay for some of that stuff at a reasonable pricepoint. It's just that, the notion that people I game with might be in Sony or Microsoft's "time out corner" for not paying an extortion fee when a new game comes out just boils my blood. I can't explain it any other way. It's just such an un-fun and $#@!ty concept that it literally makes the difference between PS4 being a day 1 purchase or buying one broken or used and then hacking it to Jupiter and back to play pirated games intentionally so that Sony doesn't ever see a single penny of my money everty ever ever.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I believe that the pay-to-play online model does more harm than good as a long-term strategy

1. First and foremost, from a consumers rights standpoint, charging $60 for a game that you may or may not be able to play in full form is dishonest and abusive. Many games are architected around the idea that they are a multiplayer-first type of experience (Battlefield 3 comes to mind, but there are certainly many more.) The idea that a company would willingly take someone's $60 for a "tacked on campaign mode" if you're not paying some extortion money each year is preposterous. No ifs ands or buts.

2. The psychological effect of paying for something better has been obliterated and steamrolled out of existence in an open market. When Microsoft introduced Live to the PC, it belly flopped so hard the imagination boggled. I'm not mentioning this to merely pee in anyone's cheerios or get into any argument. The fact is fact and it is a matter of record. When given a choice, people WILL turn away from the paid online model. This is likely why there will never be an XBox console that breaks the 100 million mark. The paid online model may net some nice bells and whistles, but it alienates the product from the majority of consumers as well.

3. Eventually, if all game consoles used a subscription method wall to keep gamers offline, publishers would wise up.. The reason being? Game sales will drop. Consumers that would otherwise make a game purchase will opt for games that are strictly offline. Ironic? Oh, very much so. While you are paying for "a better online experience" you will have fewer people to enjoy that experience with. It won't happen in the space of a generation, but in two or so? People will naturally migrate to PC gaming or mobile gaming to take the place of consoles. Consoles won't even be seen as fun anymore, but rather just another bill that could be knocked off the old paycheck stub.

Consoles were always supposed to be simple and convenient way to enjoy gaming. Once you start making people subscribe to features, you are ruining the formula that made gaming such a success up to this generation. I don't even want to argue my points, because imho, they are non-negotiable. If I could rub a crystal ball and see the future of an alternate universe, I would imagine that if both MS and Sony make pay-walls to their online service that the WiiU will come out of nowhere and manhandle the generation. One thing is for sure, very few people will have both a PS4 and a 720, because paying $100 or more a year just to plug an ethernet jack in your consoles is $#@!ing ridiculous.

I'm willing to bet the average consumer doesn't give a damn about the costs of online gameplay.

Just going by how much money people waste on cell phone subscriptions in the US, should give you an indication of how much people "care" about their money when they are being provided a service or product the satisfies them.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    it is the same so deal with it. It's stupid to sit there and think that a company is thinking about the money MS has, like they didn't know for the past 20+ years. They didn't just make billions upon billions of dollars because of Xbox. Most of that money they made was from windows. wtf
    It's not even close to the same thing. He clearly said Sony is probably envious of the money Microsoft pulls in from Live...he never once said Sony was envious of Microsoft as a whole. He was specifically talking about the money Microsoft rakes in from their Xbox Live service...nothing else. Let's say that there's 20 million Gold subscribers(there's probably more, but I know there's at least 20 million, so I'll go with that)...that means Microsoft makes $1,200,000,000 purely off of subscriptions. You really believe Sony isn't envious of a service that rakes in $1.2 billion per year?

Personally, I hope Sony charges for it. I've been a Live member since the beginning and if Sony offers comparable features to Live(like it sounds like they will), then I'm all for paying a subscription. That $50 or whatever a year helps make the product better. For the record, I don't believe they'll actually charge to play online. I think they should, but I don't think they will...but rather opt for a service similar to Plus. Either way, I'm buying. It's going to take a lot more than a subscription to turn me off to a console.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    It's not even close to the same thing. He clearly said Sony is probably envious of the money Microsoft pulls in from Live...he never once said Sony was envious of Microsoft as a whole. He was specifically talking about the money Microsoft rakes in from their Xbox Live service...nothing else. Let's say that there's 20 million Gold subscribers(there's probably more, but I know there's at least 20 million, so I'll go with that)...that means Microsoft makes $1,200,000,000 purely off of subscriptions. You really believe Sony isn't envious of a service that rakes in $1.2 billion per year?

Personally, I hope Sony charges for it. I've been a Live member since the beginning and if Sony offers comparable features to Live(like it sounds like they will), then I'm all for paying a subscription. That $50 or whatever a year helps make the product better. For the record, I don't believe they'll actually charge to play online. I think they should, but I don't think they will...but rather opt for a service similar to Plus. Either way, I'm buying. It's going to take a lot more than a subscription to turn me off to a console.
    So what should Sony do to be comparable to Live?

2) Did you know that they already confirmed online to be free?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So what should Sony do to be comparable to Live?

2) Did you know that they already confirmed online to be free?
    Cross game chat, cross game invites, smoother interface, better download speeds, more in depth user profiles, etc...If they gave me the first 3 in that list that's more than enough to get my $50 a year. If they keep Plus, I'd even be willing to pay for both.

2. I was commenting on the rumor. I have no idea what's been confirmed or not.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Cross game chat, cross game invites, smoother interface, better download speeds, more in depth user profiles, etc...If they gave me the first 3 in that list that's more than enough to get my $50 a year. If they keep Plus, I'd even be willing to pay for both.

2. I was commenting on the rumor. I have no idea what's been confirmed or not.
    I see. Well you're in luck because they have all that for free.

Ultimate Veteran
    if they have better serviers i would pay to play

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post

This better be bull$#@!.
    I agree with your picture.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Forum Elder
    i'm sure they will charge for online, but it will be behind a higher priced PS+. say 50 or 60 a year.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i'm sure they will charge for online, but it will be behind a higher priced PS+. say 50 or 60 a year.
    I think they will keep the online free but have a 3-4 tier system that adds features. Mostly just absolute basic will be free.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I'll be getting a new laptop later this year for college, and intend on ensuring it has decent specifications for gaming purposes, so it's unlikely I would be willing to pay for an online service for the PS4. As others have iterated and reiterated, though, it's quite unlikely. When comparing PlayStation Network (ern... Sony Entertainment Network) and Xbox Live, much of the argument in favor of PSN is simply that it's free. If the "free" portion of the argument were removed, especially in its earlier days, there would have been no competition whatsoever.

I would certainly take it under consideration if it turns out to be true, but find it unlikely and a completely blind decision for Sony to make.

Edit: The most important thing for the next generation PSN is this: free online play. If I can boot up any game and play for free as I can today, I'll be satisfied, even if other silly things earn a price tag.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Member
    You got to think about it though!!

as for me i like free online on the PS3 if i want something from the store i will buy it!! im not a PSN+ subscriber but having to pay for online including getting things mostly like myself i dont want!! :/ Sony tend to give away alot of free games to PSN+ users among other things but really i dont need it! id rather a disk than a download, but thats just me i like having the disks. dont mind avatars, wallpapers, an maps being free or as a cut price for PSN+ users but giving games is a whole diffrent matter for me cause i will only pay for what i want in the PSstore, i dont want online to be charged an pay 40/60 a year an being thrown a ton of stuff at me for free or a cut price that i will barley download or use.
    having a option as it is on the PS3 should be carried over to the PS4, its doing fine as it is, ppl have a choice to sign up to PSN+ or not. but having to charge online is wrong imo i already pay for a internet connection!! online play should be free.

Thread Information