Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Master Guru
    I think it will remain free, but I think they should start charging for it, will improve the service.

PSN ID
    MrniteDaydreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well while we're not sure if this is even true, regardless....you know Sony looks at Xbox Live and is envious of the money it's bringing in to Microsoft. As a business... you know they'd like that income too. The trick is if they could get away with it without losing too many customers. Microsoft has and I'm betting Sony could pull it off if their exclusives are too good to pass up.
    I agree with you because what you stated was true and my fear that if i disagree your picture will haunt my dreams.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    ONE source? Who? MS?

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

4. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    It's not even close to the same thing. He clearly said Sony is probably envious of the money Microsoft pulls in from Live...he never once said Sony was envious of Microsoft as a whole. He was specifically talking about the money Microsoft rakes in from their Xbox Live service...nothing else. Let's say that there's 20 million Gold subscribers(there's probably more, but I know there's at least 20 million, so I'll go with that)...that means Microsoft makes $1,200,000,000 purely off of subscriptions. You really believe Sony isn't envious of a service that rakes in $1.2 billion per year?

Personally, I hope Sony charges for it. I've been a Live member since the beginning and if Sony offers comparable features to Live(like it sounds like they will), then I'm all for paying a subscription. That $50 or whatever a year helps make the product better. For the record, I don't believe they'll actually charge to play online. I think they should, but I don't think they will...but rather opt for a service similar to Plus. Either way, I'm buying. It's going to take a lot more than a subscription to turn me off to a console.

I wont listen to you anymore just for the fact that you want Sony to charge just for the sake of charging.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    "Our sources say that while there will be at least some free level of experience, it is likely to mirror Xbox Live at the Silver level with no online play included, which will be a first for Sony. It is unknown if Sony plans to host gaming servers and move the online experience to be closer to that of Xbox Live, but we believe that this is likely from the whispers we are hearing and also necessary if they are going to charge for it."

Yay so I finally read the article. Ok...so this sort of seems like a lame rumor. 1) It's coming from one source. 2) They said "LIKELY" to happen.

So it's pretty much a 50-50? Kind of like Patcher?

I have no doubt they'll have a tier system but I find it hard to believe that they will not keep online free when they know it's a huge deal. I also don't think they will keep x-game chat as a paid feature because that absolutely makes no sense.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-31-2013 at 22:48.

7. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Apprentice
    It's probably people that want Sony to charge because xbox charged for their service. They can't stand that sony could have online play for free so they are coming up with guesses and crossing their fingers for Sony to charge for their online play service. This makes no sense why people want sony to charge for it. I really think they want sony to charge for it because right now with the PS4 there is nothing bad about it and they want something to $#@! about.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Master Guru
    Wouldn't it improve the service charging for it?

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    I am positive online play will remain free. Sony has shown more than enough added features/services for the PS4 that they can use to make a premium service more than tempting without the need of making it required for online play. More so than any previous premium service.

If Sony was going to go the route of requiring a premium service for online play I believe they would have done so with the PS Vita.

Elite Member
    Either way ill be getting ps4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Now the hype has settled, I can't get excited for the PS4 with the prospect of a paywall hanging over our heads.

Hope it's confirmed one way or another at E3

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    I highly doubt Sony will start charging for online for PS4 when they will have two other systems on the market where it's free.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    "Our sources say that while there will be at least some free level of experience, it is likely to mirror Xbox Live at the Silver level with no online play included, which will be a first for Sony. It is unknown if Sony plans to host gaming servers and move the online experience to be closer to that of Xbox Live, but we believe that this is likely from the whispers we are hearing and also necessary if they are going to charge for it."

Yay so I finally read the article. Ok...so this sort of seems like a lame rumor. 1) It's coming from one source. 2) They said "LIKELY" to happen.

So it's pretty much a 50-50? Kind of like Patcher?

I have no doubt they'll have a tier system but I find it hard to believe that they will not keep online free when they know it's a huge deal. I also don't think they will keep x-game chat as a paid feature because that absolutely makes no sense.
    Yep. Pretty much my feelings exactly.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdfan View Post
    Wouldn't it improve the service charging for it?
    Alright, let's start here. In what way would it improve? I don't have connection problems.

The only thing Live had over Xbox was its features, not the connection. Other than the OS features, there's literally no difference.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I wont listen to you anymore just for the fact that you want Sony to charge just for the sake of charging.
    ...uh, what? I'm pretty sure I said that I hope they charge for online features so the money "can help make the product better." Since when did "making the product better" = "just for the sake of charging."

I must say, with your response to me and several others in this thread, I have to question whether you're reading entire posts or just reading a sentence or two and then making a post based off that. Some of your responses have been...way out there.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It's probably people that want Sony to charge because xbox charged for their service. They can't stand that sony could have online play for free so they are coming up with guesses and crossing their fingers for Sony to charge for their online play service. This makes no sense why people want sony to charge for it. I really think they want sony to charge for it because right now with the PS4 there is nothing bad about it and they want something to $#@! about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0IXiFP7mIg

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Alright, let's start here. In what way would it improve? I don't have connection problems.

The only thing Live had over Xbox was its features, not the connection. Other than the OS features, there's literally no difference.
    I disagree. I felt there was more lag for me playing on PS3 over 360. Not enough to warrant a charge, but for me personally I absolutely felt a difference. But in the end let's all hope Sony doesn't charge and just builds off PS+.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedimindtrix View Post
    I agree with you because what you stated was true and my fear that if i disagree your picture will haunt my dreams.
    Being haunted by a picture of Gary Gnu? Then I'll go one step further.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAwVIZDAUF0

Charge for the sake of Sony. If you haven't heard... they've been laying off workers, their empire is but a mere shadow of it's former self and they could really use the money.

Like the negative SPECULATION of Microsoft and the Xbox 720 in the weeks since the PS4 debuted? I'd say there are more fingers crossed against MS then Sony here.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    I disagree. I felt there was more lag for me playing on PS3 over 360. Not enough to warrant a charge, but for me personally I absolutely felt a difference. But in the end let's all hope Sony doesn't charge and just builds off PS+.
    I have never felt lag unless it's the game's servers. If you've felt lag, it's likely not Sony's servers, it's probably the game's server.

If you get disconnected from your PSN a lot, it can either be your router or Sony's servers...most likely your router. All in all, it's not hard to give a stable connection for a company.

21. Likes Sleepy likes this post

Thread Information