Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GDC PS4 info!

Superior Member

It looks all good to me but I did find some things to chuckle about.......

Targeted to be the “central device in the living room” - PS4 build around them, salable to the outsiders
    Microsoft got shit of for making such statements about being the center of the living room. Sony did say they are concentrating on the core gamer too. People assume since MS hasn't made such a statement that they are ignoring the core gamer. What-eva!

- PS4 Dev Environment – Windows 7-bit, tools are fully integrated into Visual Studio 2010 and 2012
    - “Debug your PS4 code as you would your PC code”
    Oh the irony of using Microsoft's OS and software tools to develop games for the PS4. Kinda like when Microsoft bought PowerPC Macs as Xbox 360 Alpha dev kits.

- PS4 controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3
    Yet another irony..... I remember PlayStation fans raking Microsoft over the coals for dropping the analog buttons for the 360 that the Xbox had and the PS2/PS3 consoles had also. I guess MS was ahead of the curve in the end.

- PS4 controller: 1920900 resolution on the analog touchpad
    So...is this really gonna have some realistic use or is this gonna be next generation's Six-Axis that barely got used by devs in their games?

- PS4 controller light bar can be used for muzzle flashes, health bars, etc
    Muzzle flashes sounds as annoying as a strobe light.

- PS4 Mock-up: Heavy Rain choice with the number of your friends that chose each option.
    WTF is this supposed to mean?!?!?!? Anybody got a clue!?!?

Anyways... looks like a much better improvement over the PS3. Fun times ahead!
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 03-28-2013 at 06:51.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    It looks all good to me but I did find some things to chuckle about.......

Microsoft got shit of for making such statements about being the center of the living room. Sony did say they are concentrating on the core gamer too. People assume since MS hasn't made such a statement that they are ignoring the core gamer. What-eva!
    Thank goodness for 3rd party! Imagine, if it didn't exist, 360 gamers would be playing 1 retail game this year, and PS3 gamers 12. One a year vs one a month.

Oh the irony of using Microsoft's OS and software tools to develop games for the PS4. Kinda like when Microsoft bought PowerPC Macs as Xbox 360 Alpha dev kits.
    As ironical as it will be if MS uses Blu-ray in the 720 haha. Or having a Sony artist come and dance during your E3 presser.

Yet another irony..... I remember PlayStation fans raking Microsoft over the coals for dropping the analog buttons for the 360 that the Xbox had and the PS2/PS3 consoles had also. I guess MS was ahead of the curve in the end.
    Your spin kung fu is deadly.

So...is this really gonna have some realistic use or is this gonna be next generation's Six-Axis that barely got used by devs in their games?
    Probably the latter, but options are always nice.

Muzzle flashes sounds as annoying as a strobe light.
    Yeah not for me either, I don't like any light distracting me from the screen.

WTF is this supposed to mean?!?!?!? Anybody got a clue!?!?
    I think by this point, Greg was pretty much pissed.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

3. Likes snooper71 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Controllers on #PS4 can be attached to a user, not just the system.
    This is pretty damn cool.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    This is pretty damn cool.
    Yeah and they turn the color of the face buttons on the light bar.
    Player 1 is Blue like X
    Player 2 is Red like O
    Player 3 is Green like Triangle
    Player 4 is Pink like Square

RIP Oculus Rift

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Edit: not even worth it, somebody is going to my ignore list when I get home in the morning

...Give it a rest

At sufi: Are the sticks also analogs? I remember Socom on the ps2 didn't have a run dedicated button, you used the sticks to determine how fast or slow your character goes

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 03-28-2013 at 07:55.

7. Likes snooper71 wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Thank goodness for 3rd party! Imagine, if it didn't exist, 360 gamers would be playing 1 retail game this year, and PS3 gamers 12. One a year vs one a month.

Not THAT bad... but pretty close. True dat true dat!

As ironical as it will be if MS uses Blu-ray in the 720 haha. Or having a Sony artist come and dance during your E3 presser.

Well Sony was one of many on the Blu-Ray consortium so you get a fraction of a point on that one. Remember....Microsoft's CODEC is part of the Blu-Ray spec too. So it's kind of a wash actually.

As for the artists.... is Usher or Duffy a Sony artist? They were at MS's E3 events.

Your spin kung fu is deadly.

Well thank you. Actually though it is true. Microsoft did drop it on the 360 while the Xbox had it. And Microsoft got crap for dropping it while the PS3 kept it.

You may also remember PlayStation fans could care less when the PS3 released with no rumble in the controller due to the case with the patent holder. Then gushed about it once it came back. Frankly... rumble is more important then the Six-Axis control IMO.

Probably the latter, but options are always nice.

Agreed....I smell Six-Axis part 2.

Yeah not for me either, I don't like any light distracting me from the screen.

More like inducing seizures!

I think by this point, Greg was pretty much pissed.
    Well the line make no sense. Maybe someone else can figure it out.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Might mean that you can see the stats of choices made. Like in Walking Dead at the end of the chapter you could see percentage-wise what other players chose.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Might mean that you can see the stats of choices made. Like in Walking Dead at the end of the chapter you could see percentage-wise what other players chose.
    Maybe like the short lived fad of interactive movie theaters where the audience with keypads decides the direction of the plot and actions made by those in the movie.....determined by majority rule? That makes a little more sense.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Right now, this thing has basically made me start programming again:

In other words, the setup I have running now.

Sorry Two but I need to steal that gif...

Hmm, are you guys planning on pitching a ps4 title?

Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Player 1 is Blue like X
    Player 2 is Red like O

It's added features such as ^ that makes everything that much sweeter. For me, these are like bonuses due to that I consider gaming first.
    This message is hidden because Sub-stance1 is on your ignore list.

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    It seems they are going with a 64bit processor after all.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Hmm, are you guys planning on pitching a ps4 title?

It's added features such as ^ that makes everything that much sweeter. For me, these are like bonuses due to that I consider gaming first.
    I wasn't going to touch DX11, my engine is based on DX9, but I'm genuinely excited by the prospect of being able to pitch indie titles base don C++ and not C#, which is what indies had to use for Xbox.
    I was never ever a fan of managed code, and you cannot get raw performance from C#.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Power Member
    Items User name style
    dble post. Love these forums, I thought we had got rid of this stupid bug.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Ultimate Veteran
    Only thing that concerns me a bit is being the PS4 is essentially a PC - with Moore's law in mind, in a few years the CPU will essentially be the equivalent of gaming on a P4 today. But perhaps the PS4 will have a shorter lifespan than the PS3 and it won't be an issue.
    Other opinions are available.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Only thing that concerns me a bit is being the PS4 is essentially a PC - with Moore's law in mind, in a few years the CPU will essentially be the equivalent of gaming on a P4 today. But perhaps the PS4 will have a shorter lifespan than the PS3 and it won't be an issue.
    Closed box systems get a boost, they can perform better than their PC equivlant, simply because you only have one profile to aim at. PC enigines have to aim at multiple levels/profiles.

Trust me quite a large amount of code is dedicated in any engine into figuring out what feature you can actually enable in a PC game.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    I'm thinking next gen will be shorter indeed. For SONY anyway. Not using exotic hardware might bring profitability back faster this time around and if that's the case, they will not hesitate to upgrade more often to remain competitive.

I'm wondering if SONY left out other features to be shown at E3, and if they did, will they be significant like some of the features mentioned at GDC?

i love the fact that most of those features are hardware based and not left to devs to decide whether to implement them or not. Based on past experiences, devs did not seem to embrace much of software features available. There is no software limitation this time around for the features announced.

The only thing that scares me is the "not all features will be available at launch" If it's all hardware based, how can they upgrade it? Will it be there but locked? Why lock them? Many questions come to mind with a comment like that. They had LOTS of partnership and features announced for the PS2 that never came to be. Maybe some on PS3 as well (can't think of any). SONY as had a reputation to over promise and under deliver so "not available at launch" scares me a little. But this time it seems like the HW will be easier to work with so they may actually deliver on their promises and that would be a very nice change of pace.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If next gen is pretty enough and sales are good Sony will ride that sucker for as long as they can, we are at the stage where incremental achievements are less significant.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Player 1 is Blue like X
    Player 2 is Red like O
    This is a really small but likeable thing. I enjoy little details like this.

Flaw3d Genius
    Not looking forward to the nights of PES/Fifa tournies in the house and i end up with a pink pad!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Not looking forward to the nights of PES/Fifa tournies in the house and i end up with a pink pad!
    We have a pink 360 controller, my brother in law always calls dibs on it lol.

Flaw3d Genius
    We have a pink 360 controller, my brother in law always calls dibs on it lol.
    Haha i'd watch out for your sister, She turns her back for one minute he'l be off down the bufter clubs!

ps I hope that pad is your wee girls/wifes lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Haha i'd watch out for your sister, She turns her back for one minute he'l be off down the bufter clubs!

ps I hope that pad is your wee girls/wifes lol
    LOL, yes one of my daughters, the other had a blue one till she broke it. Now she has a black one with Tinkerbell stickers all over it....

Flaw3d Genius
    LOL, yes one of my daughters, the other had a blue one till she broke it. Now she has a black one with Tinkerbell stickers all over it....
    I've got those days coming......god help me!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I know the PS2 was analog, I never noticed it on PS3.
    Almost all multiplats on the PS3 carried over some form or another of the 360 control interface which had digital face buttons.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    ive never line up for midnight release for anything. ps4 might be the first i try that...

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Yeah the Move integration seems like Sixaxis 2.0 to me, but doesn't really bother me. As long as they don't try to force it in there, it's good to have the option if a developer thinks of a cool way to use it.

Thread Information