Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style

Which kung fu/karate style is the most effective to learn?

I figured jeet kun do would be the most effective to learn. I do like the flowery look of bugua zhang though. What do you think?

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Dedicated Member

Does it have to be a traditional martial art?

If you're looking for the most effective fighting style: boxing, muay Thai and BJJ etc would be better - a style that allows you full contact sparring.

If it has to be a traditional martial art - Wing Chun perhaps? As for JKD, it isn't really an art in itself. Many places do offer classes, but Bruce Lee considered it a philosophy of fighting, so there isn't really a standardised version.

A quote attributed to Bruce Lee is: 'someone with a year of boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of over twenty years experience'. I don't know if this is legit (I have not read all of his books), but take that as you will.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Jeet Kune Do is excellent, it is what Bruce Lee created! Brazilian Jujitsu seems pretty good as well, and I have always personally loved Kung Fu, I have a friend that is a black belt in Kenpo which I like as well. Krav Maga is also pretty impressive, but I have yet to see someone fight an actual fight with that style...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    What Valefor said basically. The most effective forms of self defence are generally the simplest and most brutal. I did Thai boxing for a while and that is certainly both of those things.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Give wushu a try. Many movie artists use it.

Krav Maga isn that what Jack used in Tekken?
    Last edited by keefy; 03-28-2013 at 19:00.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Unbound Mercenary
    Krav Maga is what I learned from a friend. It is a very brutal and straight forward fighting style for doing the most amount of damage as fast as possible.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Krav Maga is what I learned from a friend. It is a very brutal and straight forward fighting style for doing the most amount of damage as fast as possible.
    Yep, and the demonstrations I have seen are most impressive!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Dedicated Member

I Shute Yu

I originally learned from Masters Smith and Wesson, but I keep proficient with Samuel Colt.

9. Likes Morganator, Lebowski , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I did wushu for a while. It was tons of fun.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    The art of fighting without fighting haha.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I did Judo for a few years, great for self defense

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I would love to learn Ninjitsu and Kendo once I lose weight.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Jeet Kune Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Extreme Poster
    **** everything and learn Jiu Juitsu. It's better than striking. It's one of the most popular styles in MMA, which means there's evidence there.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Muai Thai for sheer brutality. but really depends on your style: brutally knock someone out with your albow versus get down on the floor with dudes. lol

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Give wushu a try. Many movie artists use it.

Krav Maga isn that what Jack used in Tekken?
    Saying just wushu is still pretty vague. Wushu just means Chinese martial arts. For me, I find that Shaolin kickboxing is great and athletic. As far as the most efficient martial art, Wang Chung is very much up there. Wang Chung dabbles into martial arts in a very mathetical way that works very, very well.

ADMINISTRATOR
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    I've done Muay Thai, boxing, and I'll probably get into Capoeira after I move. As has been stated, BJJ is pretty awesome, from what I've heard.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Apprentice
    no need for spinning high kicks or that type of ****. Just go train in fighting, train for the awareness which normal karate gives you and you will know how to fight. Real fights are not like they are in movies but when you go into karate tournaments they try to make it like that. The training for Karate creates awareness, you don't need other crap that gives off fancy pants kicks. If you want to kick ass you just need awareness but either way you are going to look like you don't know what you are doing when you fight. that is what real fighting is like anyway. it's very uninteresting to watch unless there are rules and it's usually over in 2 minutes if that.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Saying just wushu is still pretty vague. Wushu just means Chinese martial arts. For me, I find that Shaolin kickboxing is great and athletic. As far as the most efficient martial art, Wang Chung is very much up there. Wang Chung dabbles into martial arts in a very mathetical way that works very, very well.
    Wushu is a sport it involves a combination of other arts including weapons. It was created only last century.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    no need for spinning high kicks or that type of ****. Just go train in fighting, train for the awareness which normal karate gives you and you will know how to fight. Real fights are not like they are in movies but when you go into karate tournaments they try to make it like that. The training for Karate creates awareness, you don't need other crap that gives off fancy pants kicks. If you want to kick ass you just need awareness but either way you are going to look like you don't know what you are doing when you fight. that is what real fighting is like anyway. it's very uninteresting to watch unless there are rules and it's usually over in 2 minutes if that.
    Exactly but Jiu Jitsu gives you that real-world combat experience. Those MMA people know what's up.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    **** everything and learn Jiu Juitsu. It's better than striking. It's one of the most popular styles in MMA, which means there's evidence there.
    I love BJJ but wrestling would be a way better way to go. It's much better to learn to wind up on top than on your back. But overall a MMA class since it incorporates the things proved most effective in combat sports. True, it isn't a street fight(people like to bring this up), but I'd rather be a guy that knows some of the various mixed martial arts that can now fight dirty than the guy who relies on fighting dirty.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosb View Post
    I love BJJ but wrestling would be a way better way to go. It's much better to learn to wind up on top than on your back. But overall a MMA class since it incorporates the things proved most effective in combat sports. True, it isn't a street fight(people like to bring this up), but I'd rather be a guy that knows some of the various mixed martial arts that can now fight dirty than the guy who relies on fighting dirty.
    BJJ is pretty much like wrestling...seems to me that wrestling doesn't have as much technique that JJ does...just my opinion, I've seen some people tear **** up by locking people in positions and having the freedom to break their bones at will.

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Which kung fu/karate style is the most effective to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Wushu is a sport it involves a combination of other arts including weapons. It was created only last century.
    Wushu isn't only a sport. There is a traditional side to it which is also what I did. Wushu might have been created just a century ago but it's roots go back thousands of years.

The school I was going to had all kind of styles and things to do. Here's a copy paste from their site.
    "Wushu, North Shaolin Kung Fu, Lohan Chuan, Ba Ji Chuan, Tai Chi Chuan, Chi Kung, Sanshou, Semi Contact"
    And a lot of traditional weapons including Chinese fan. lol

Now that I think of it Wushu might not be the most effective to learn. But it is tons of fun and gives great balance.

On the move with Tapatalk
    Last edited by MjW; 04-16-2013 at 13:44.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Hohjirozame
    If you're talking about most effective in terms of self-defence based on real-life situations - Krav Maga bar none.

I've done BJJ for just over 2 years and recently integrated MMA classes, amazing how different things are when someone's trying to hit you in the face/body/etc...
    Last edited by C-Carcharias; 04-16-2013 at 14:48.

PSN: Hohjirozame

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    Id say it depends on yourself as a person, if your small in size then perhaps go for someone that gives you lots of defensive and counter moves. otherwise if your of a large build then you can afford to go full on assault. also consider what kind of situations your defending yourself from.
    There once was a man named Sidney, he used to collect shells on the beach. everything was going well for him. untill he stopped and took a look, he had a glance and a stare and realised he what he was reading.
    It was a forum signature full of nonsense

Thread Information