Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

'Nobody knows final hardware specs,' DICE exec suggests

Speaking to CVG about the upcoming hardware transition during a wide-ranging Battlefield 4 interview conducted at GDC this week, the series' executive producer Patrick Bach said:

"I don't know if anyone has the next-gen hardware to be honest - really. There are versions of it, but does anyone have the final hardware? Do we really know what the final hardware will be?

"There are specs and alpha hardware, but nobody knows exactly what it will be. The only thing I can say about what we're building is that we've set the bar with what we can do and we can scale it down to 360 and PS3."

It is believed that development kits for both the PS4 and Next Xbox are being distributed across the games development sector, though Bach did not confirm this. The media has been gripped by a frenzy of speculation regarding the final specs of Sony's PS4 and Microsoft's rival platform, though the numbers are constantly shifting as each new report comes through.

On the subject of the first Battlefield 4 gameplay video, which was released earlier this week, Bach explained: "What you saw is pre-alpha - it's not the final game or anything. We are lacking a lot of optimisation. Without going into detail about what it could look like on a lower spec machine or a higher spec machine, we will have the scalability to bring the most out of any piece of hardware.

"The demo is the visual target of what we want the game to look like, and when I say visual target I don't want people to confuse that with rendering pictures that you could never create in the actual game - when we create our visual targets a big part of that is to make it realistic, as in you will be able to run it on a machine that you can buy.

"We've seen visual targets that are pre-rendered or running on machines that are designed for showing off technology - this is the game. [Single-player producer] Tobias was playing the game in the Frostbite engine with the content that we're using to build the game."

Sony revealed PS4 last month and confirmed a PS4 release date of "holiday 2013" in at least one of Japan, Europe and the US.

Meanwhile, it has become a growing expectation in the industry that Microsoft will announce its next-generation Xbox platform at a special event in late April.
    via CVG.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'm guessing he's saying this because final dev kits haven't been shipped out.

Ultimate Veteran

Or maybe it has something to do with this... and we still do not know the clock speeds in the PS4.

At this point, it's basically official:
    Last edited by Lefein; 03-29-2013 at 00:18.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

4. Likes PS3!!!!! likes this post
    Veteran
    Eurogamer: Some Wii U owners are disappointed to see Battlefield 4 is not coming to the console. What, exactly, is the reason for that?

Patrick Bach: The biggest problem we have right now is we don't want to back down from what we see as our low spec machines. We right now don't have support for the Wii U in the Frostbite engine. The reason for that is it takes development time. What should we focus on to create the best possible Battlefield experience? We are now focused on PC and the current-gen platforms, and then there might be other platforms in the future that we can't talk about...

Eurogamer: One of them you can.

Patrick Bach: Yes, in theory, but we won't. But it's important to understand it's about focus and setting the bar. Where do you start? What's the minimum? What's the maximum? What's the scale in-between.
    Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...hnology-behind

MS has EA's hands tied on this. They can't talk about the PS4 version until the next box is revealed.
    Last edited by Kauldron; 03-29-2013 at 00:38.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...hnology-behind

MS has EA's hands tied on this. They can't talk about the PS4 version until the next box is revealed.
    and MS can't talk about or reveal their machine because they are respecing.. and Sony can't reveal the final performance target or send out final devkits because they haven't benched final components.

God this is funny!
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    and MS can't talk about or reveal their machine because they are respecing.. and Sony can't reveal the final performance target or send out final devkits because they haven't benched final components.

God this is funny!
    Yep, circle of life.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    Yep, circle of life.
    The way I see it, MS is at a real crappy fork in the road. If they are respecing like all evidence suggests, then that means we will not see the PS4 Behemoth lovefest versus KinextBoxU curb stomping we were all preparing for. However, this also means that we are tooling up for a mirror rematch of PS2 Vs Xbox1. The only problem is, we've already seen how good looking PS4 games look and waging a spec war will not only be costly for MS but also potentially delay their launch.. Or even open them up for another RRoD fiasco out of the gate.

Not a good position to be in.. Not after you've sold off Bungie, anyway. They've been so far in Kinectville that it will be almost comical seeing them beg for the core gamer to come back. The real kicker to all this being that Sony still has a bit of wiggle room to squeeze a little bit of juice out of the PS4 before minting final development kits at this stage in the game.
    Last edited by Lefein; 03-29-2013 at 00:53.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    The way I see it, MS is at a real crappy fork in the road. If they are respecing like all evidence suggests, then that means we will not see the PS4 Behemoth lovefest versus KinextBoxU curb stomping we were all preparing for. However, this also means that we are tooling up for a mirror rematch of PS2 Vs Xbox1. The only problem is, we've already seen how good looking PS4 games look and waging a spec war will not only be costly for MS but also potentially delay their launch.. Or even open them up for another RRoD fiasco out of the gate.

Not a good position to be in.. Not after you've sold off Bungie, anyway. They've been so far in Kinectville that it will be almost comical seeing them beg for the core gamer to come back. The real kicker to all this being that Sony still has a bit of wiggle room to squeeze a little bit of juice out of the PS4 before minting final development kits at this stage in the game.
    If Microsoft respecs their console, won't it be delayed to next year?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    delaying the 720 would be a horrible decision

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If Microsoft respecs their console, won't it be delayed to next year?
    One would think that, but it's technically easier to up-spec than to down spec. By that, I mean, you're not going back to every publisher and developer and telling them that all their code needs to be scrapped to run on something weaker. I don't think anyone (on this board) knows enough about Microsoft's original roadmap for their nextbox to comment on that. If I was a betting man, upgrading to GDDR5 using SODIMM would be a good start and if the CPU was standalone, then it was likely in an AM3+ socket.

Another theory batted my way is that they could possibly absorb the cost of up-specing by standing down on putting Kinect2 bundled with every system. If that were the case, they would definitely need at least an extra month to plan for that kind of change in presentation for the thing.

Extreme Poster
    So respecing wouldn't be that easy? I don't know how console production works.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Microsoft cannot 'respec' their box. Not at this point. There isn't a whole hell of a lot they can do, unless they had multiple "versions" in development just waiting to see what the competition would do and then selecting a model to go with. I find that more than just a little unlikely.

The engineering considerations would be... Substantial.

Extreme Poster
    So what do you guys think they're doing that pushed this back?

PSU Technical Advisor
    -shrugs- could be alot of things. Maybe some software they wanted to demo ran into a snag or they're having an issue with slotting together the right interviews and developers to come along and talk about the system.

Yes, MS could adjust clock speeds- but without knowing what kind of thermals and power draw we're talking about its kind of pointless to speculate how much they could tweak those. It also isn't out of the realm of possibility that Sony couldn't do the same thing in response regardless.

I really don't think specs have to do with the delay.

16. Likes Sufi likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Microsoft cannot 'respec' their box. Not at this point. There isn't a whole hell of a lot they can do, unless they had multiple "versions" in development just waiting to see what the competition would do and then selecting a model to go with. I find that more than just a little unlikely.

The engineering considerations would be... Substantial.
    So Sony was able to change theirs at the last minute but somehow MS cant? lol We all know your seething hatred for all things MS and Xbox but youre trying way too hard now.

Extreme Poster
    What would they want to change though, do you have any idea? It made sense for Sony to up the RAM as it was sort of like what MS had but just different...now upgraded it's definitely superior than all the rumors so would MS be able to change the GDDR3 to 5 since they already have 8GB?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    What would they want to change though, do you have any idea? It made sense for Sony to up the RAM as it was sort of like what MS had but just different...now upgraded it's definitely superior than all the rumors so would MS be able to change the GDDR3 to 5 since they already have 8GB?
    I would think maybe switching to DDR5 RAM.

Extreme Poster
    Is there a big difference between upgrading RAM or changing the structure entirely, as far as manufacturing?

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Is there a big difference between upgrading RAM or changing the structure entirely, as far as manufacturing?
    I was about to ask the same thing (I think) but was having trouble getting it worded just right.

I was wonder if anything is different between the 4GB of GDDR5 RAM that was being used and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM being used now in the PS4 other than quantity? What I mean is if Sony could have just increased the quantity of same RAM they were already ordering (or just not ship as many systems at first) and just include more of it in each system(obviously with some changes to the mainboard)?

If so, it would have been a lot easier, cheaper and faster for Sony to go from 4GB of GDDR5 RAM to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM than it would be for MS to go from 8GB of DDR3 RAM to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM.

I also don't believe it has been mention of when the change was made/decided on. Before bring up when the last dev kits shipped, the decision could have been made before the dev kits had shipped.

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    I was about to ask the same thing (I think) but was having trouble getting it worded just right.

I was wonder if anything is different between the 4GB of GDDR5 RAM that was being used and 8GB of GDDR5 RAM being used now in the PS4 other than quantity? What I mean is if Sony could have just increased the quantity of same RAM they were already ordering (or just not ship as many systems at first) and just include more of it in each system(obviously with some changes to the mainboard)?

If so, it would have been a lot easier, cheaper and faster for Sony to go from 4GB of GDDR5 RAM to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM than it would be for MS to go from 8GB of DDR3 RAM to 8GB of GDDR5 RAM.

I also don't believe it has been mention of when the change was made/decided on. Before bring up when the last dev kits shipped, the decision could have been made before the dev kits had shipped.
    Thats a good question. Which would be easier or harder to do?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    So Sony was able to change theirs at the last minute but somehow MS cant? lol We all know your seething hatred for all things MS and Xbox but youre trying way too hard now.
    SONY only upgraded the RAM to 8gb... MS would have to make new decisions regarding CPU, GPU, APU, RAM, etc.... redesign the PCB, conduct new reliability tests, redesign cooling system..

The turn around time to re=spec the whole system would be more significant than just upgrading the RAM.

I very much doubt they would postpone so they can redesign the console if it was near final. Heck, MS themselves never confirmed the April conference... Did they?

IF it was indeed set to be revealed in April, the only thing I could see them working on after all SONY's info was made public, it would be on the software level.

EDIT: This post was actually meant for another thread but still sort of relevant...
    Last edited by snooper71; 03-29-2013 at 05:25.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

25. Likes unicron7, Kauldron, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    The bold isn't necessary. Please keep it out of my thread.
    Last edited by Black; 03-29-2013 at 05:09.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Heck, MS themselves never confirmed the April conference... Did they?
    Nope, it was someone (CVG?) claiming they had an "trusted inside source within MS" tell them. It may have been true (the source within MS), but that source may not have knew if the April date was final or just one of many dates they were thinking about; the source also may not even have had any say or direct communications over it. It is also possible that MS gave out false dates to find leaks or something.

There is any number of reasons it could be, but I suspect that respeccing is not one of them.

PSU Technical Advisor
    ..Sony didn't radically change their specs. Doubling the memory is actually fairly trivial. They didn't change memory type or do anything exotic.

The fact that they added more of the same type of memory wasn't what was so interesting about them going from 4GB to 8GB of GDDR5. What was interesting was that they were able to get high density GDDR5 chips and were willing to pay for this memory upgrade.

Everything was more or less already there for them to make this upgrade. Only real difference would be power\thermal adjustments, but nothing drastic.

Now if Sony had switched from one form of memory to another (GDDR5-->DDR) or swapped out components (new CPU or GPU) that's a whole other ball game.

But at least I now know how you really feel about me as a poster.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 03-29-2013 at 06:51.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    ..Sony didn't radically change their specs. Doubling the memory is actually fairly trivial. They didn't change memory type or do anything exotic.

The fact that they added more of the same type of memory wasn't what was so interesting about them going from 4GB to 8GB of GDDR5. What was interesting was that they were able to get high density GDDR5 chips and were willing to pay for this memory upgrade.

Everything was more or less already there for them to make this upgrade. Only real difference would be power\thermal adjustments, but nothing drastic.

Now if Sony had switched from one form of memory to another (GDDR5-->DDR) or swapped out components (new CPU or GPU) that's a whole other ball game.

But at least I now know how you really feel about me as a poster.
    How I feel about you as a poster on the topic of xbox and what I think of you personally are completely different since I have talked to you in the off topic section before so dont go getting too offended. As for the topic I still havent heard anything that convinces me that MS couldnt upgrade or that these spec rumors are even totally true for that matter. I'll wait and see what MS shows us when they actually reveal their console.

Thread Information