PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Items Baby ChocoboGhost in the ShellLightningTidusAtlus

Video games saved my life -

So it's March 28th, 2013, which means that I, Stabbings_, am over a months sober. This is a huge step in my life and I can't give video-games enough credit. I was shooting up heroin, meth, and cocaine almost daily (not all at once, except for one instance which I'll get into later). I thought quitting was going to be the biggest challenge, and ultimately impossible. Low and behold, I am still clean! Shortly after my near death overdose in February 2013 (Which was when I did an IV shot of a mixture of Meth, Cocaine, and Heroin all in one. Seems farfetched but I've been doing drugs since I was 15, I am 19 now. I have a large tolerance to all), I decided that was it. Enough was enough, and looked into recovery programs. Found a great one called 'Second Chance recovery' which not only offered Methadone maintenance, but also counselling. Sign me up! I did just that and boy has it ever worked.

This is where the video games part comes in. Now over the years I've owned around 4-PS3, 3-360s, 2-Wiis, 2/3-Nintendo DS, and 1-PSP. I sold all them for drug money. Which sucks because I've always loved video games, and sometimes I'd see a game and be like "Oh man, wish I didn't sell X console so I could play that!". But when I was getting started in the process of getting clean, I got my tax-returns, which was a decent about, being $382.70. After that it was clear what I was going to do, buy a PS3 and some games. I arrived at our local Best Buy and saw a white PS3 Super Slim, right then and there I nearly died of excitement. Ever since Sony announced the PS3, I wanted a white one. And for the longest time the only way you could obtain one was importing it from Japan. So when I saw it on the shelf, I flipped and immediately grabbed it. Also picked up Far Cry 3.

Now since then, that's all I've been putting my attention into (And looking for a job, too). It's really help keep my mind off doing drugs, and doing a damn fine job at doing it. When I have a $100 in my pocket, my first thought isn't 'Call XXX and pick up XXX', it's 'Hey I wonder what kind of deals EB Games has going on right now'. I am fully immersed in the online world of modern video-gaming. And I love it.

I don't see myself, or want to go back to the way I was. I like this version of me. Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. I was just thinking about this on my way home this afternoon and needed to get it out. Also, thanks for listening. It's been a blast on there forums already and I've already made a few friendships. This can only get better. Thank you guys so much.

; Stabbings_

PS; Sorry it's so long.
    Last edited by Stabbings_; 03-28-2013 at 23:41. Reason: Missed out on some details
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

2. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That's good man glad you went though a change. Grats!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    How many of the consoles did you steal?

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    That's good man glad you went though a change. Grats!
    Thanks dude ! People don't realize how even little pats on the back like that make me feel. They make the process just that much more rewarding.

Anywhoozer, invite me to a Black Ops 2 match next time you're on and have time to play. I'd really like to game with some homies.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    How many of the consoles did you steal?
    I don't steal, even back then. I'd con up other ways to get money. Also, surprisingly, I'd work jobs.

These consoles were all purchased as B-day presents, X-Mas presents, etc. And I'd just sell them. Just to re-buy them whenever I had the money and wanted to play a game.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-29-2013 at 02:07. Reason: Merging.
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    No problem bro that's really good and yeah no doubt whenever I see ya!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    No room for celebration yet. You will be tempted again by the wrong people so keep your head high and don't look back.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Nice one mate. Keep doing what youre doing and as Fon said, head up! Those non-gamers don't know - nothing quite like a nice solid few hours of gamin' to get the mind right..

All the best :]

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    No room for celebration yet. You will be tempted again by the wrong people so keep your head high and don't look back.
    Yes yes, I have arranged so I won't be in contact with any of those people who will tempt me. My dealers # - Deleted, other dealers # - Deleted. Anyone who is involved with that sort of $#@! has been taken out of my life, and I know this is just the start to a long journey ahead of me, but I have great feelings about it. I know if I put my head to it, I can accomplish anything I desire. And I plan on being sober for a very long time, perhaps foever (No promises though, those things strike me as omens of sorts).

Anyways, thanks again guys for the support! It's wonderful to think that a tightly knitted community such as PSU would take me in so easily and be so supportive of what I do, already. It truly is nice to be here guys, thank you.
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

Forum Overseer
    I'm glad you're off it. Enjoy life.

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm glad you're off it. Enjoy life.
    Thank you, Sir. I am seeing the joys of life without Opiates, and it's all so shocking for me. Some of the same feelings I used to get are replicated in real life! Never once did I ever think that was possible, otherwise I would have quit a long time ago.

Thanks again for all the support guys, it really feels good. I hope I can continue down this road of success and turn my otherwise bleak and hopeless outlook on life, to a nice, new and fresh outlook.
    Last edited by Stabbings_; 03-29-2013 at 02:10. Reason: Forgot a couple words.
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

Forum Sage

Keep up the turnaround. I know it's difficult and it will never get easier but keep it up all the same. Also, change your own number so that there is no way to be back-traced by your former contacts and be sure to place yourself on the do not call list and make your number private as can be. Also, try to eat and drink healthy too as there are good foods that will improve your mind and body and help you to detox. Keep yourself occupied.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Good for you man. I've had family members go through some similar life problems. You clearly are on the right track of a long and difficult journey. Wish you the best of luck.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Well done, man and good luck going forward. It's interesting that you chose Far Cry 3 as your first game, haha.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Well done, man and good luck going forward. It's interesting that you chose Far Cry 3 as your first game, haha.
    lol

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    You want a medal for acting like the rest of us have and being decent citizen?

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    When did I say that ? No need to be a $#@!...
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Love and respect my friend... Really happy you are through this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Thanks
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Not everyone is raised in the best of environments. You also have to take into account that everyone is different; they sometimes get led by the wrong peers and aren't strong enough to avoid such path. The best we can do is support them in their turnaround and hope that they live the rest of their lives for the better.

21. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Nothing wrong with that, we don't know what he went through and the circumstances he was in. Some people do get addicted easier than others but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't encourage them to stay clean. This is his way to regain his confidence and come to terms with himself.

23. Likes Fon likes this post

Thread Information