Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Unreal Engine 4 "Infiltrator" tech demo

Epic Games debuted the latest tech demo for its next generation Unreal Engine 4 technology at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Watch it below.

via Gematsu.

The lighting and overall scale of the level is impressive. Not to mention the particle effects when the bullets start flying. Very much like a cinematic trailer but real-time.
    Last edited by Black; 03-29-2013 at 19:04. Reason: Typo.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

2. Likes mynd wishes they had posted this first.
    Flaw3d Genius
    Far better than the face tech demo's...but if there is one thing i learned after the Motorstorm debacle is never to trust tech demo's as the games end up nothing like them (Even Motorstorm 3 was nothing like the video shown way back in 2005)

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Far better than the face tech demo's...but if there is one thing i learned after the Motorstorm debacle is never to trust tech demo's as the games end up nothing like them (Even Motorstorm 3 was nothing like the video shown way back in 2005)
    The MotorStorm "tech demo" was pre-rendered. Not a fair comparison, in my opinion.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The MotorStorm "tech demo" was pre-rendered. Not a fair comparison, in my opinion.
    Surly the video above is pre-rendered?

Ultimate Veteran
    Surly the video above is pre-rendered?
    We've already seen what Unreal Engine 4 could do. It's not impossible.

7. Likes Fijiandoce wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Nice. Now lets see what this looks like from a gameplay perspective.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Visual treat. Although the predictable colour tone and filters were uninspiring. I believe small, corridor type games will be at this level after a couple years (KZ:SF probably will be at launch) but larger open world games less so.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I've always liked games that used UE, there is nothing wrong with developers using it. If the engine is easy, that's a good thing. What's even better now is that while UE is easy to use for developers so is the PS4, that's awesome.

Dedicated Member

Do you remember the Unreal Engine demos from 2005 and early 2006? Much of what was shown in the tech demos found their way into a game called Gears of War.

Master Guru
    The Unreal 4 engine is going to do work.

That is all.

Forum Sage
    Epic says this video is running under a single GTX 680.

That's beyond impressive.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Do you remember the Unreal Engine demos from 2005 and early 2006? Much of what was shown in the tech demos found their way into a game called Gears of War.
    Dont remember them but good stuff if the demo's were close to what was in Gears!

Supreme Veteran

I like it, U.E is so so cool.... The Wii U was meant to be using this for some games coming to it.... But it seems not now and i can guess it is not powerful enough to handle the U.E

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I've always liked games that used UE, there is nothing wrong with developers using it. If the engine is easy, that's a good thing. What's even better now is that while UE is easy to use for developers so is the PS4, that's awesome.
    really? i've always felt the UE3 held them back.

Mass Effect became Gears of War. Mirrors Edge formed a niche. Batman is essentially an UE shell. not to mention the utter dross the easy engine has produced. Aliens Colonial Marines spring to the forefront.

UE3 this gen has been the absolute bottom line for what is achievable on current platforms.

i HOPE beyond the clouds UE4 isn't as disappointing. the tech demo's thus far seem incredibly promising. it will more than likely power Dust 514 one day so fingers crossed!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    really? i've always felt the UE3 held them back.

Mass Effect became Gears of War. Mirrors Edge formed a niche. Batman is essentially an UE shell. not to mention the utter dross the easy engine has produced. Aliens Colonial Marines spring to the forefront.

UE3 this gen has been the absolute bottom line for what is achievable on current platforms.

i HOPE beyond the clouds UE4 isn't as disappointing. the tech demo's thus far seem incredibly promising. it will more than likely power Dust 514 one day so fingers crossed!
    Amazing that you miss out...

Bioshock
    Bioshock Infinite
    Borderlands 1 & 2
    Dishourned
    Devil May Cry
    Gears 1, 2 & 3
    Mortal Kombat
    Shadow Complex
    Rainbow Six Vegas

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Amazing that you miss out...

Bioshock
    Bioshock Infinite
    Borderlands 1 & 2
    Dishourned
    Devil May Cry
    Gears 1, 2 & 3
    Mortal Kombat
    Shadow Complex
    Rainbow Six Vegas
    it was by no means a comprehensive list o_O

Bioshock Infinite is in the same boat as Batman. the UE is merely a shell. most of it is their own code.

you can take RB6 and MK off that list though. whilst your at it, DmC and Shadow Complex too. they do not stand to the calibre of ME and Batman. or even Bioshock and Borederlands.

what is left on the list? FPS's and Epics own entry.

but as i say, its of my own opinion that the UE3 has held back devs this gen.
    Too Human
    Duke Nukem
    Aliens (all entries this gen)
    Mirrors Edge
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    i could go on...there are many unreal games that are released and are clearly short of the ambition.

as a matter of fact, many of those devs are using other engines now.

DISCLAIMER (as is needed when giving an opinion here)
    i rate Mirrors Edge as one of my top 5 games of all time. in fact, i hold many games, including bioshock, in high regard. i like that there is an engine that allows ease of use. i just wish said engine was better than what was brought to the table. Cryengines technical achievements stand head and shoulders above that of the UE.
    i hope the UE4 competes better with other engines out there. the tech demo's so far seem promising.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 03-30-2013 at 15:13.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Flaw3d Genius
    Cryengines technical achievements stand head and shoulders above that of the UE?
    So where are all the good Cry engine games then? lol

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    it was by no means a comprehensive list o_O

Bioshock Infinite is in the same boat as Batman. the UE is merely a shell. most of it is their own code.

you can take RB6 and MK off that list though. whilst your at it, DmC and Shadow Complex too. they do not stand to the calibre of ME and Batman. or even Bioshock and Borederlands.

what is left on the list? FPS's and Epics own entry.

but as i say, its of my own opinion that the UE3 has held back devs this gen.
    Too Human
    Duke Nukem
    Aliens (all entries this gen)
    Mirrors Edge
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    i could go on...there are many unreal games that are released and are clearly short of the ambition.

as a matter of fact, many of those devs are using other engines now.

DISCLAIMER (as is needed when giving an opinion here)
    i rate Mirrors Edge as one of my top 5 games of all time. in fact, i hold many games, including bioshock, in high regard. i like that there is an engine that allows ease of use. i just wish said engine was better than what was brought to the table. Cryengines technical achievements stand head and shoulders above that of the UE.
    i hope the UE4 competes better with other engines out there. the tech demo's so far seem promising.
    Bioshock and Batman look very much like UE games. As an easier and supported engine they could very much focus more on the game. Why do you think they were held back? I doubt the failures are due to the engine. It's popular, there's bound to be a lot of flukes.

Mirror's Edge looks gorgeous to this day.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    So where are all the good Cry engine games then? lol
    my point exactly

too many devs using the UE3. if i recall, cryengine license was about double that of UE. you get what you pay for
    how many UE games play like a cryengine game though?(or lets just call it crysis)
    frostbyte and cryengine allow the player a wider range of gameplay. watching any video will show just how flexible the engines are by comparison to ANY Unreal Engine FPS.
    Animations, to interactivity, even AI (of which none of the UE code is used for Bioshock infinite). all surpassed by other engines.

im not talking about visuals, i couldn't care less about how many FX is being pushed. on a technical level, UE comes out short.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Bioshock and Batman look very much like UE games. As an easier and supported engine they could very much focus more on the game. Why do you think they were held back? I doubt the failures are due to the engine. It's popular, there's bound to be a lot of flukes.

Mirror's Edge looks gorgeous to this day.
    for the reasons i gave above. the Unreal engine looks nice, but plays horribly. whoever did the Bourne games said that the Unreal engine was crap for fisticuff fighting. so they had to do all that themselves.

but thats where im getting at. technically, UE is weak.
    do you know what i would give to pay mirrors edge as fluidly as how the cryengine handles terrain traversal in Crysis? i would grin from ear to ear! too many times have i jumped only to fall to my death for reasons unknown. then you go and watch how easy nano suits are doing it in crysis and you stop and wonder.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Flaw3d Genius
    I'd put money on the UE engine having better games than anyother engine this gen.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    my point exactly

too many devs using the UE3. if i recall, cryengine license was about double that of UE. you get what you pay for
    how many UE games play like a cryengine game though?(or lets just call it crysis)
    frostbyte and cryengine allow the player a wider range of gameplay. watching any video will show just how flexible the engines are by comparison to ANY Unreal Engine FPS.
    Animations, to interactivity, even AI (of which none of the UE code is used for Bioshock infinite). all surpassed by other engines.

im not talking about visuals, i couldn't care less about how many FX is being pushed. on a technical level, UE comes out short.

for the reasons i gave above. the Unreal engine looks nice, but plays horribly. whoever did the Bourne games said that the Unreal engine was crap for fisticuff fighting. so they had to do all that themselves.

but thats where im getting at. technically, UE is weak.
    do you know what i would give to pay mirrors edge as fluidly as how the cryengine handles terrain traversal in Crysis? i would grin from ear to ear! too many times have i jumped only to fall to my death for reasons unknown. then you go and watch how easy nano suits are doing it in crysis and you stop and wonder.
    Well Mirror's Edge is supposedly using Frostbite.

e: Also, Too Human later on used its own engine.
    Last edited by Naxi; 03-30-2013 at 15:50.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I'd put money on the UE engine having better games than anyother engine this gen.
    but they could've been better.

i know i drew comparison to other engines. but if the UE was technically better, all those games you and i have listed would be that much better.
    i don't hate the engine explicitly. it could've been so much more. especially with its position in the market.

i don't fault devs for using it. i fault EPIC for failing to evolve (for want of a better word)

as i said above, i would pay happily for a Faith who traverses the building tops as smoothly as the nanosuits do in Crysis.

one of the key points at the UE4 reveal was Better animation systems.
    i have hope! Epic have a dominant position in their market and it would be sad to see them stagnate the market because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Well Mirror's Edge is supposedly using Frostbite.
    i know! Dice just need to hurry up and release the second part of the trilogy!
    i wait eagerly!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Don't throw away your money brother

It never has before. The best games are made with in-house engines built specifically for that game/series. Has always been this way, will always be this way. You get a few exceptions but they're few and far between.

And Fijiandoce is right, most of the better Unreal games use heavily customised versions of the engine. Stands to reason the further you get away from it's base averageness, the better chance you have of creating a decent game.

26. Likes YoungMullah88 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Guru
    There's ~5.5GB version of the video at
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...-demo-unveiled
    Link under embedded version.

Will comment when download is ready..
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    There's ~5.5GB version of the video at
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...-demo-unveiled
    Link under embedded version.

Will comment when download is ready..
    a 5 min video weighing in at 5.5GB, wtf, thats a damn huge file!

i expect near render clarity!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information