Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    3x performance? So this card at 1k can run on it's own? with no further investment? It is after all being compared to the WHOLE console!!!

Wheres the real time performance of the card once it's in an actual system?

Come on NVIDIA.. Thought you had a little more class than that!!!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

2. Likes Omar likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    This isn't news. The 720's GPU is weaker than the PS4's.

Also the chart is kind of misleading, it makes it seem as though the Titan GPU and the consoles are just a hair apart. If it weren't for that little hint that said "3x" you wouldn't really think there was a huge performance gap.

I think a more useful comparison (not that Nvidia is interested in that) would be with a GTX670 or 680.

tldr; when a graphics card costs $1000 it had better be more powerful than damn near anything ever released on the market lol.

This is no thing but a PR stunt obviously, and while Nvidia may have complete knowledge of the 720 and PS4 inner workings it could also simply being them estimating based on the leaks from VGleaks.

Well, the only reason they are using the titan as a comparison is so they can try and sell more of them. To be perfectly honest, unless again a person is rendering, this card is completely worthless to get just for gaming. Buy the time this card is put to full uses for gaming it wouldn't matter since a cheaper card will run faster at that time (in terms of future use). This is a card clearly meant for rendering and the fact that Nvidia is trying to get gamers to get it is rather disgusting.

They make the cards and it's almost like they are oblivious to their own creation, it's quite shocking.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-31-2013 at 16:55.

4. Likes Omar likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    To be perfectly honest, unless again a person is rendering, this card is completely worthless to get just for gaming.
    Um, no it isn't.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Um, no it isn't.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    um, yes it is. This card is meant for rendering that is why people that are serious will get this card. If any decent gamer gets this card for gaming that's fine but it's a complete and 100% ripoff, period. prove me wrong.

older GTX cards will still perform for current games as well as this card because the games themselves if built for the highest GPU is most likely modeled for the 680GTX. I remember the big huge thing with BF3 and having to have 2x GTX680's in order to run it. it was so full of $#@! considering even mid range radeons were running it on high with over 60fps. o.O
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-31-2013 at 17:00.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Interesting how the Xbox has always been ahead of the curve.
    As for the rest? Who knows.
    In what way?

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    360 had a better graphics card, that's all that's based on. Not overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This seems fairly accurate. Though of course most people only care what can be done in real world examples, not the raw processing power of the hardware itself. This is why in a lot of ways consoles, especially around release, are an excellent price-to-performance package.
    Exactly, that's something Nvidia know but don't want to take into consideration because it would ruin their argument and PR.

I think we're going to see consoles stay a little more competitive and actually PC gamers should rejoice as this means more utilization of PC cards as they don't have to scale it down much.

Um, no it isn't.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    um, yes it is. This card is meant for rendering that is why people that are serious will get this card. If any decent gamer gets this card for gaming that's fine but it's a complete and 100% ripoff, period. prove me wrong.
    I agree with Bigdoggy, you might see some increase in fps or better fps with smoke/AA/AF on but it's not going to be worth the price difference. Maybe if we had bench comparisons it would be better.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-31-2013 at 17:01.

Administrator

older GTX cards will still perform for current games as well as this card because the games themselves if built for the highest GPU is most likely modeled for the 680GTX. I remember the big huge thing with BF3 and having to have 2x GTX680's in order to run it. it was so full of $#@! considering even mid range radeons were running it on high with over 60fps. o.O
    The GTX 690 is more expensive than the Titan.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Guru
    and what does that have to do with anything you were saying before, that is another pointless card in my opinion and again another card that is most likely good at rendering. there is a reason why it's expensive and it's not just because of games.

It's even more entertaining when seeing people buying two 690's or titans and using them in sli.

Forum Sage
    The Titan is worth it in my eyes. I'm pricing up a computer i plan on building over the next few months and i'll be putting a titan/titan equivalent inside of it. Much rather a Titan than I would a 690 even though the 690 is faster or any SLI/X-Fire multi-gpu set up.

Master Guru
    I don't get it though, why? The only excuse I can think of is this, you are an enthusiast and you get it for bragging rights.

it's like the guy at a lan party that gets the biggest and most beasty PC just to have people look at it. meanwhile the game is running no different for that other guy that is using two 670's or having 7870's in crossfire.

Adding more:

By the way....

GTX690 $999.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121636

Radeon 7870 sli is still cheaper and will work just as good. 2x 479.98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161404

or

7970 which is still cheaper and you will get just as much out of it unless of course you are using "Premier" then you have to go Nvidia. either way Nvidia is kind of pointless right now unless you are rendering even the highest end radeon is pointless to get and that is $100 cheaper $899 for the 7990.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-31-2013 at 17:36.

Administrator

Interesting NVidia Slide from GDC

The Titan is not a rendering card, it's a low wattage gaming card that doesn't require a crazy power supply to run it, which can actually save money as opposed to the GTX 690 which requires a much bigger power supply. The Titan is the most powerful single card GPU and also has low power consumption. You can get away with using it with a 500 watt PSU. Workstation GPUs can cost several thousands of dollars, so I would hardly call the Titan expensive if serious rendering is what you're after. It can render just fine though like most high end GPUs can and obviously you can get by with SLI and still save money, but that would require a big full size tower with a meaty power supply. The Titan is really for multiple monitor gaming more than anything.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk

Forum Overseer
    The Titan is not a rendering card, it's a low wattage gaming card that doesn't require a crazy power supply to run it, which can actually save money as opposed to the GTX 690 which requires a much bigger power supply. The Titan is the most powerful single card GPU and also has low power consumption. You can get away with using it with a 500 watt PSU. Workstation GPUs can cost several thousands of dollars, so I would hardly call the Titan expensive if serious rendering is what you're after. It can render just fine though like most high end GPUs can and obviously you can get by with SLI and still save money, but that would require a big full size tower with a meaty power supply. The Titan is really for multiple monitor gaming more than anything.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    I'm confused, at first you said that Titan is not for rendering but then you mention that it's good if you're after serious rendering. So which one is it?

Ultimate Veteran
    why are the compareing a 900 dollar gpu to the ps4's gpu. stop the bull NVIDIA.
    a least EA went with amds gpus for battlefield 4

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm confused, at first you said that Titan is not for rendering but then you mention that it's good if you're after serious rendering. So which one is it?
    I never said it was for rendering, Bigdoggy did. I'm saying you can get by with rendering with a high end gaming GPU, but that's not what they're designed for. That's what workstation GPUs are designed for, and they cost more than the Titan.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk

Forum Overseer
    I never said it was for rendering, Bigdoggy did.

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    Nvm, I missed the word "hardly" lol. I have astigmatism.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Nvm, I missed the word "hardly" lol. I have astigmatism.
    No worries, lol.

For example, this little number costs almost twice as much as the Titan: http://amzn.com/B005OCMZ7A

~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-31-2013 at 18:01.

Superior Member
    Some console exclusives have been the most entertaining games I've played, but now that I've got the money to keep up with PC gaming the way I want, I have nice HD TVs and surround sound systems, and multi-platform development is more streamlined, this is more evidence to me that there's just no reason to go back to console gaming for me. I want the highest fidelity entertainment experience, I'm willing to pay for it, and consoles are not going to offer that right now (or possibly ever again).
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Forum Sage
    I don't get it though, why? The only excuse I can think of is this, you are an enthusiast and you get it for bragging rights.

it's like the guy at a lan party that gets the biggest and most beasty PC just to have people look at it. meanwhile the game is running no different for that other guy that is using two 670's or having 7870's in crossfire.

Adding more:

By the way....

GTX690 $999.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121636

Radeon 7870 sli is still cheaper and will work just as good. 2x 479.98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161404

or

7970 which is still cheaper and you will get just as much out of it unless of course you are using "Premier" then you have to go Nvidia. either way Nvidia is kind of pointless right now unless you are rendering even the highest end radeon is pointless to get and that is $100 cheaper $899 for the 7990.
    Why do i want the Titan? Bragging rights certainly play a part in it but that isn't my deciding factor. It comes down to i want a powerful GPU without going down the dual card GPU (690/7990) route and I don't want to have to deal with Xfire/SLI for as long as possible. I've been using Crossfire for the last 3 years and I can honestly say it has given me so many issues that I don't want to do the same again - especially not use an AMD card again.

There is no doubt in my mind that AMD offers a much better -Per-Frame ratio than most if not all of Nvidia's offerings but their driver support is terrible and they don't handle PhysX very well.

So while i would be able to get the same or better performance using 2 x 7970/ GTX 660TI /680's I don't think it is worth going down the route of SLI/Xfire again - just yet - when there is a single card GPU out there that will offer a slightly worse experience but without any of the drawbacks that a dual card set up uses. And as also stated, the Titan use relatively small amounts of power and makes hardly any noise.

Then obviously there is the 6GB VRAM. If I want to in the future i could go to a triple display set up and have enough graphical memory for the larger resolutions.

For me it comes down to more than just 900 vs 700.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    Some console exclusives have been the most entertaining games I've played, but now that I've got the money to keep up with PC gaming the way I want, I have nice HD TVs and surround sound systems, and multi-platform development is more streamlined, this is more evidence to me that there's just no reason to go back to console gaming for me. I want the highest fidelity entertainment experience, I'm willing to pay for it, and consoles are not going to offer that right now (or possibly ever again).
    I'm starting to feel this way also.

Superior Member
    Wow.....Nvidia is getting blasted here. What a contrast from when they announced the RSX for PS3.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Wow.....Nvidia is getting blasted here. What a contrast from when they announced the RSX for PS3.
    Are you really going to keep doing this $#@!? Really

Pretty sure it's not the same people "blasting" nvidia now that praised the rsx

Smh

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

22. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Are you really going to keep doing this $#@!? Really

Pretty sure it's not the same people "blasting" nvidia now that praised the rsx

Smh

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    I simply stated the contrast of mood based on the comments. Can't say if any of the same people stated otherwise when the PS3 released. Some weren't here and those that were... well... someone stated the posts from 2005 were purposely deleted.... correct?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid

The Quadro FX is meant for rendering.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-01-2013 at 11:57.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The Quadro FX is meant for rendering.
    Pmsl.

For the uninitiated Quadro's are designed for anything but rendering. Heavy on the fp, sacrificing texture units for it. i should know we still have a quadro in our Maya 7 pc.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-01-2013 at 12:43.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Why do i want the Titan? Bragging rights certainly play a part in it but that isn't my deciding factor. It comes down to i want a powerful GPU without going down the dual card GPU (690/7990) route and I don't want to have to deal with Xfire/SLI for as long as possible. I've been using Crossfire for the last 3 years and I can honestly say it has given me so many issues that I don't want to do the same again - especially not use an AMD card again.

There is no doubt in my mind that AMD offers a much better -Per-Frame ratio than most if not all of Nvidia's offerings but their driver support is terrible and they don't handle PhysX very well.

So while i would be able to get the same or better performance using 2 x 7970/ GTX 660TI /680's I don't think it is worth going down the route of SLI/Xfire again - just yet - when there is a single card GPU out there that will offer a slightly worse experience but without any of the drawbacks that a dual card set up uses. And as also stated, the Titan use relatively small amounts of power and makes hardly any noise.

Then obviously there is the 6GB VRAM. If I want to in the future i could go to a triple display set up and have enough graphical memory for the larger resolutions.

For me it comes down to more than just 900 vs 700.

I'm starting to feel this way also.

so then you admit it, that's all I wanted in the first place which proves me point exactly.

The entire point of Nvidia GPU's is you can use any Nvidia GPU for premier which is why a high end gpu will work better for things like premier. However, I would know the pointlessness of highend GPU's because I was that person that went all out on a gaming PC. When I built my PC quite a few years ago it cost me around $1,000 for the cpu which was a QX8650 extreme, 2x 8800GTX with a fatal1ty sound card, 2x raptors raid 0, 680i A1 motherboard, etc etc. (my PC cost over $3,000+ and add in liquid cooling when I installed that) I wont bother doing that bull$#@! again and I can say for a fact it wasn't worth it because by the time the games finally utilized that card to it's max, there was a cheaper card that could max it out. Crysis 1 came out when I built that and by the time they smoothed the game out with patches, the game was old and there were cheaper GPU's that could max that game out anyway.

It is true that radeon drivers are pretty meh but they have been improved greatly and keep on improving. The latest driver gave a huge jump to the 7870 and it performs so much better.

My other point was that Nvidia doesn't offer anything great besides the fact that Premier is used by Nvidia GPU's and not Radeon.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 04-01-2013 at 14:24.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls

Whilst I agree that Titan is a complete waste of money, I can see why people would want to buy it rather than having a couple 680's in SLI or 7970's in Crossfire because they are a pain in the arse. I have a lot of experience with SLI and it is a massive hassle and I will never be doing it again.

As for Titan itself though, well the fact of the matter is you can buy a 680 today which will play practically anything on ultra settings and then upgrade to something else in 2-3 years and you will still have spent less money than on one Titan lol.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I still don't get the 3x number? can someone explain what does that mean? cuz the PEAK floating point performance of titan is 4.5TF
    PC cards at best achieve 50% efficiency vs a 90% efficient console GPU of 1.84TF (2.25TF vs 1.656TF). The bandwidth also isn't 3x so where is this number from?

Thread Information