Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
Results 51 to 71 of 71
  1. #51
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    15
    Points
    4,727 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Whilst I agree that Titan is a complete waste of money, I can see why people would want to buy it rather than having a couple 680's in SLI or 7970's in Crossfire because they are a pain in the arse. I have a lot of experience with SLI and it is a massive hassle and I will never be doing it again.

    As for Titan itself though, well the fact of the matter is you can buy a 680 today which will play practically anything on ultra settings and then upgrade to something else in 2-3 years and you will still have spent less money than on one Titan lol.
    really? because I haven't had a problem yet with mine, I must be lucky. The only thing I think is a hassle is non conductive oil liquid cooling which I have. I hate it
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  2. #52
    ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,304
    Rep Power
    781
    Points
    10,896,783 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Iso where is this number from?
    NVIDIA's imagination.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  3. #53
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,377
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    48,256 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    really? because I haven't had a problem yet with mine, I must be lucky. The only thing I think is a hassle is non conductive oil liquid cooling which I have. I hate it
    Can't speak for SLI but I'm currently using XFire buy I've had my fair share of problems with it. If it's not drivers giving me poor performance it's the games not scaling well for multiple GPUs. That's why I'd prefer a Titan over the 690/7990 and the option is always there for multiple monitor use later down the line


    BBK. Tapatalking.

  4. #54
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    18,198
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    66,528 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am not sure but isnt dual GPU on one card just like usign single GPU on 1 card? In other words It doesn't use SLI or Xfire because they are on the same slot?


    I tried searhing but everything came back with people wanting to use 2x 7990 or 2x 690 or whatever other dual GPU cards there are.

  5. #55
    Elite Guru
    *goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,291
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    32,619 (0 Banked)
    Lots of people hung up on the apparent price-point of Titan. Cutting edge hardware typically starts very high but as it becomes more mainstream/more cost effective to produce, reduces significantly.

    I can remember when a DVDRW drive cost over 2,000 yet sure enough, they ended up coming down to around 35 over time. The same can be said for things like solid state drives, ram, standard hard disk drives. Hell, pretty much any component.

    Must add, not that it will ever be that cheap (35) but I'd expect it to float around the 2-300 over time. Priced similarly to where graphics card seem to sell well.
    Last edited by *goo; 04-01-2013 at 17:21.

  6. #56
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,230
    Rep Power
    197
    Points
    129,677 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Lots of people hung up on the apparent price-point of Titan. Cutting edge hardware typically starts very high but as it becomes more mainstream/more cost effective to produce, reduces significantly.

    I can remember when a DVDRW drive cost over 2,000 yet sure enough, they ended up coming down to around 35 over time. The same can be said for things like solid state drives, ram, standard hard disk drives. Hell, pretty much any component.

    Must add, not that it will ever be that cheap (35) but I'd expect it to float around the 2-300 over time. Priced similarly to where graphics card seem to sell well.
    Right but by the time it's cheap, there's already a new card out and we're 2 years in.

  7. #57
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,377
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    48,256 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I am not sure but isnt dual GPU on one card just like usign single GPU on 1 card? In other words It doesn't use SLI or Xfire because they are on the same slot?


    I tried searhing but everything came back with people wanting to use 2x 7990 or 2x 690 or whatever other dual GPU cards there are.
    They still call them dual cards. If you had two 690's they'd say you have Quad SLI

  8. #58
    Dedicated Member
    Centurion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,021
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    2,837 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I still don't get the 3x number? can someone explain what does that mean? cuz the PEAK floating point performance of titan is 4.5TF
    PC cards at best achieve 50% efficiency vs a 90% efficient console GPU of 1.84TF (2.25TF vs 1.656TF). The bandwidth also isn't 3x so where is this number from?
    Where are you getting this 50%/90% figure from?

    EDIT:

    Also, I think the 3x figure comes from the fact that Titan has 14 SMX units. Each SMX unit contains 192 single-precision floating-point units and 64 double-precision floating-point units. Single-precision and double-precision instructions can be executed together on Kepler.

    So 837MHz * (192+64) * 2 (FMADD) = 5.9 TFLOPS.
    Last edited by Centurion; 04-02-2013 at 01:07.

  9. #59
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,345
    Rep Power
    84
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Where are you getting this 50%/90% figure from?

    EDIT:

    Also, I think the 3x figure comes from the fact that Titan has 14 SMX units. Each SMX unit contains 192 single-precision floating-point units and 64 double-precision floating-point units. Single-precision and double-precision instructions can be executed together on Kepler.

    So 837MHz * (192+64) * 2 (FMADD) = 5.9 TFLOPS.
    The efficiencies were a rough way to compare overhead. They are not exact obviously

  10. #60
    Dedicated Member
    Centurion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,021
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    2,837 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    The efficiencies were a rough way to compare overhead. They are not exact obviously
    Based on what?

  11. #61
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,604
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    7,555 (11,045 Banked)
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Can't speak for SLI but I'm currently using XFire buy I've had my fair share of problems with it. If it's not drivers giving me poor performance it's the games not scaling well for multiple GPUs. That's why I'd prefer a Titan over the 690/7990 and the option is always there for multiple monitor use later down the line


    BBK. Tapatalking.
    well, I warned you. after about 3 years or so you will kick yourself. It's by far cheaper and easier to keep up to date with GPU's below the titan being more efficient. you upgrade 3 times and you are still kind of below. If you haven't went all out on a PC then I say have at it.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

  12. #62
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    21
    Posts
    8,345
    Rep Power
    84
    Points
    31,925 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Based on what?
    On my general understanding of difference between PC and console development. I've read numerous reports saying that on PC we get half the performance we can get on a console with the same hardware due to overhead and closed vs open box
    Quote Originally Posted by John Carmack View Post
    https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/st...77106856370176

    Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.

  13. #63
    Forum Guru
    jlippone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,825
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    10,370 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    On my general understanding of difference between PC and console development. I've read numerous reports saying that on PC we get half the performance we can get on a console with the same hardware due to overhead and closed vs open box
    In 'simple' scenes the difference is not there, especially if one uses the special hardware inside Titan. (dynamic parallelism etc.)
    The ~3x is valid, when comparing GPU only.

    In games and more complex work the ability to read/write same memory pool and fast direct access to each chip will be huge, much bigger than 2x in some cases.

    The Fermi/Kepler line is meeting it's end soon anyway so the Titan and the new line is the last of it's breed.
    In 2014 we will have proper next gen cards which will prove to be something very interesting indeed. (Think GPU with AN ARM cores inside to help with serial workflow and ability to address all memory.)
    For me this is the first proper new generation since Fermi. (think jump from Geforce 6xxx series to 8xxx and then to fermi.)
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

  14. #64
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,502
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,674 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I never said it was for rendering, Bigdoggy did. I'm saying you can get by with rendering with a high end gaming GPU, but that's not what they're designed for. That's what workstation GPUs are designed for, and they cost more than the Titan.


    ~ Tapaaaatallllkkkk
    High end gaming GPUs are virtually identical to their workstation counterparts. The only difference that even remotely justifies the price difference is the fact that workstation GPUs get that extra technical support for developmental purposes. A development studio, graphics artist, engineer will opt for the workstation GPU because of the top notch technical support Nvidia or AMD will offer. I get just as much performance using AutoCAD, Revit, Modo and various other designing software from my gaming GPU setup as I would if I had gotten their workstation counterparts.

  15. #65
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,150
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    201,450 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    High end gaming GPUs are virtually identical to their workstation counterparts. The only difference that even remotely justifies the price difference is the fact that workstation GPUs get that extra technical support for developmental purposes. A development studio, graphics artist, engineer will opt for the workstation GPU because of the top notch technical support Nvidia or AMD will offer. I get just as much performance using AutoCAD, Revit, Modo and various other designing software from my gaming GPU setup as I would if I had gotten their workstation counterparts.
    No you don't, the chips are generally the same, but the Quadro's etc are optimized for FP calculations, NOT texture rendering....

  16. #66
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,377
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    48,256 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    well, I warned you. after about 3 years or so you will kick yourself. It's by far cheaper and easier to keep up to date with GPU's below the titan being more efficient. you upgrade 3 times and you are still kind of below. If you haven't went all out on a PC then I say have at it.
    You don't have to warn me. I'm more than aware of what i'd be letting myself in for

    I want a single card GPU that will offer me the best performance that I can get right now. Price aside. Nothing comes close to the Titan

  17. #67
    ADMiNiSTRaToR
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,304
    Rep Power
    781
    Points
    10,896,783 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Interesting NVidia Slide from GDC

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    You don't have to warn me. I'm more than aware of what i'd be letting myself in for

    I want a single card GPU that will offer me the best performance that I can get right now. Price aside. Nothing comes close to the Titan
    I personally see nothing wrong with your purchase. If you have the money, then why not? If you can't afford 1000 bucks every few years for something you enjoy doing, you should probably find a new job.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  18. Likes BBK.. likes this post
  19. #68
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    24
    Posts
    10,377
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    48,256 (15,799 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I personally see nothing wrong with your purchase. If you have the money, then why not? If you can't afford 1000 bucks every few years for something you enjoy doing, you should probably find a new job.
    Completely agree.

    There is no denying the Titan is an expensive card (by the time I go to buy it there may even be another one out or it could be cheaper) but no single card GPU comes close to it. If you want to get close or better than the performance of a Titan the only route you can go is dual-GPU's. Yes they have a higher frame rate (though the dips would be much more severe with a dual GPU) to me i'd rather just get one card that i know will be less trouble in the long run.

  20. #69
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,502
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,674 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    No you don't, the chips are generally the same, but the Quadro's etc are optimized for FP calculations, NOT texture rendering....
    Really? I haven't noticed a difference at all between using a Fire-GL card as opposed to my Radeons

  21. #70
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,150
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    201,450 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Really? I haven't noticed a difference at all between using a Fire-GL card as opposed to my Radeons
    I certainly know that's the difference between the Nvidia product group. Cant vouch for ATI/AMD.

  22. #71
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,502
    Rep Power
    103
    Points
    2,674 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I certainly know that's the difference between the Nvidia product group. Cant vouch for ATI/AMD.
    I'll give you Nvidia though I'm skeptical in terms of real world performance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.