Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

AMD on the PS4: We gave it the hardware Nvidia couldn't

AMD came roaring into GDC 2013 with a vengeance. Not only did the chipmaker introduce its first branded line of dedicated cloud gaming graphics cards - the Radeon Sky Series - we got a taste of what it claims is the world's fastest GPU.Attendees of a Tuesday night press conference saw the GPU, the Radeon HD 7990, make its first public appearance. Later, a set of 7990s powered EA's 17-minute introductory Battlefield 4 demo on the big screen.

And though Sony spent more time talking about thePS4's DualShock controller than AMD's chippy contributions at the conference, Neal Robison, director of ISV relations at AMD, was more than happy to lay it out for TechRadar.
    "You don't know how long we've been waiting for that Sony announcement, because we've been working on it for years," Robison said during a sit down in AMD's expo booth. "To finally be able to talk about a culmination of all this effort is really rewarding."

PlayStation 4 parlance

AMD provided the console's CPU design - eight x86-64, low-power Jaguar cores - plus a next-gen Radeon HD graphics card said to have 18 compute units. Beyond putting two individual pieces of silicon into one game box, the company smooshed them together to create a single APU.
    "It's not just about an x86 solution, but it's about that Jaguar APU where it's a combination of the graphics and CPU together and being able to create something that's greater than just putting an x86 PC-like architecture together," Robison explained.
    Sony, he said, approached AMD based on the company's track record with the Xbox 360, Wii and other consoles, effectively skipping over Nvidia, which provided the chips for the PS3.

"[Sony's] approach - and they've said this publicly over the last couple of days here at GDC - was, 'We looked at some of the ways that we approached hardware in the past, and we wanted to improve.' And they looked at us as being able as being able to provide that."

AMD could provide an integrated solution through its APU that Nvidia couldn't, he continued, by optimizing information flows, generating greater performance, better power and heat efficiency, and by providing tools and dev relationships to provide the PS4 a strong launch.

"We could say, 'Hey look, these guys already know how to develop on a PC architecture.' It's something that's really familiar to them and we showed Sony the tool chains and the work flows that had been developed by all these content developers that would very easily be able to move over."
    Critics' corner

In a recent interview with TechRadar, Nvidia's Tony Tamasi sized up the PS4's specs to "a low-end CPU, and a low- to mid-range GPU" when compared to gaming PCs. The console's innards, Tamasi said, are outdated even now, months before the PS4 launches during the 2013 holiday season.

"Well, of course they're going to do that," Robison said with a laugh when told of the comparison. "They're a little bitter."
    He didn't neglect to give a more nuanced response.
    "For us, really by looking at that APU that we designed, you can't pull out individual components off it and hold it up and say, 'Yeah, this compares to X or Y.'
    "It's that integration of the two, and especially with the amount of shared memory [8GB of GDDR5, 176GB/s raw memory bandwidth] that Sony has chosen to put on that machine, then you're going to be able to do so much more moving and sharing that data that you can address by both sides.
    "It's more than just a CPU doing all these amazing calculations and a GPU doing calculations. We are now going to be able to move certain tasks between the two."
    Devs, he said, will be able to push the console's capabilities beyond a traditional x86 PC architecture, and multithreading - being able to take advantage of all eight cores - is going "to become a huge deal for a lot of the big blockbuster games."
    Robison deflected when asked about AMD putting its stamp on Microsoft's next-gen console, the Xbox 720, but he noted that the company had "tremendous success" with the Xbox 360.
    "It was a great partnership and we enjoy working with them," he said.
    We get the sense that this relationship isn't cooling off anytime soon.
    TechRadar will have more from our GDC conversation with Robison, so stay tuned.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...uldn-t-1141607

The War and the PS4 BENEFITS

2. Likes The Cage, shepard, daLa, IAmBlutoo wishes they had posted this first.

Great interview! It really is a culmination of the 8 x86_64 jaguar cores, 8GB DDR5 shared memory and of course the AMD GPU all working together in a special way! I can't wait to buy a PS4!

I'm getting a new PC next year and it will probably have AMD in it!

Veteran
    Nice share! and how can Nvidia not be butthurt if they've been left out of the next gen market, now they're left out to have a try with their Tegra 4 portable console which is pretty much to battle against maybe PS Vita and Mobile phones.

PSU Live Streamer
    Interesting post.

Ultimate Veteran
    great read AMD rocks

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Basically, good performance that comes with lower costs. These companies that are already announcing the next gen, are going to try and boast as much as they can until the competition trumps 'em.

Supreme Veteran

It shows they have went with the right ones.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Nice share! and how can Nvidia not be butthurt if they've been left out of the next gen market, now they're left out to have a try with their Tegra 4 portable console which is pretty much to battle against maybe PS Vita and Mobile phones.
    incentive to open up PhysX engine!!!

Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    It shows they have went with the right ones.

11. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Thread title change ~ "We are cheaper than nVidia...."

13. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    ..."and just as good." Microsoft and Sony both got sick of sucking Nvidias **** and losing out financially in the end with each encounter. Worked out great for the 360 this generation in terms of console affordability when they went with AMD. Hopefully they'll do it again. Sony will be better off as well cutting off an overpriced diseased limb.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Elite Guru
    There is the plain fact that Nvidia doesn't have a decent CPU core to couple with their GPU. Nvidia just simply don't do what AMD does. I'm not saying Nvidia is a bad company I'm just saying they aren't in the all the same areas as AMD.

In the last 10 years AMD has turned themselves around from almost entirely a CPU company into something that can provide an entire system from top to bottom. Only them and Intel can do this nowadays and even then Intel doesn't have the same degree of performance on the GPU side.

16. Likes Fijiandoce wishes they had posted this first.
    PSN ID
    Themolaculeman
    And rocks never had a problem with any of there products. My nvidia video card is a different story

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Superior Member

I'm an AMD fan and they could definitely use the money. They got the trifecta on GPUs and 2 out of 3 on the CPUs. Couldn't be much more happier for them.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    For me price is too important to avoid. Of course if it effects price of the console.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    For me price is too important to avoid. Of course if it effects price of the console.
    Yep. No doubt. I've been using AMD CPU's in my PC's for the past decade.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    The only thing that separates Radeon and Nvidia for me is that Nvidia GPU's can use premier while Radeons really can't. But to me that's just "meh". The next GPU I get will be an AMD. You just get more for your money in terms of gaming. I don't use Premier so I really don't need to use an NVidia GPU.

Real user benchmarks Vs Tomshardware kind of debunked that Tomshardware was inflating Nvidia GPU's so much compared to Radeon in benchmarks. Then you get the real users doing the benchmarks and the the difference isn't that big at all. Just like how some games using a 7870 will outperform a highend GPU from Nvida be it a 680GTX while the 680GTX in some games beats the 7870 and the 7870 is an older card. More and more people are starting to wake up to inflated benchmarks and that's a good thing. Pretty soon Nvidia is going to have to stand on it's tippy toes which is good for them. Maybe they'll bring their damn prices down but I doubt it.

AMD offering more than Nvidia, I wouldn't doubt it one bit. They are also offering more than intel because a 8 core intel chip regardless of speed, they will charge $1,000 for it while AMD has a fast 8x cpu priced at $199, even some older ones are prices even cheaper. AMD was the better buy and I'm 100% sure that Sony got more for the price with AMD vs what they would have gotten with Nvidia. It's also no secret that AMD and Nvidia are in competition so it only makes sense that Nvidia says **** against the PS4 because it's using AMD.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    The only thing that separates Radeon and Nvidia for me is that Nvidia GPU's can use premier while Radeons really can't. But to me that's just "meh". The next GPU I get will be an AMD. You just get more for your money in terms of gaming. I don't use Premier so I really don't need to use an NVidia GPU.

Real user benchmarks Vs Tomshardware kind of debunked that Tomshardware was inflating Nvidia GPU's so much compared to Radeon in benchmarks. Then you get the real users doing the benchmarks and the the difference isn't that big at all. Just like how some games using a 7870 will outperform a highend GPU from Nvida be it a 680GTX while the 680GTX in some games beats the 7870 and the 7870 is an older card. More and more people are starting to wake up to inflated benchmarks and that's a good thing. Pretty soon Nvidia is going to have to stand on it's tippy toes which is good for them. Maybe they'll bring their damn prices down but I doubt it.

AMD offering more than Nvidia, I wouldn't doubt it one bit. They are also offering more than intel because a 8 core intel chip regardless of speed, they will charge $1,000 for it while AMD has a fast 8x cpu priced at $199, even some older ones are prices even cheaper. AMD was the better buy and I'm 100% sure that Sony got more for the price with AMD vs what they would have gotten with Nvidia. It's also no secret that AMD and Nvidia are in competition so it only makes sense that Nvidia says **** against the PS4 because it's using AMD.
    I have a 6870 and I have no room for complaint. It performs very well. Even on heavily graphical games on Ultra. I'm sold on AMD. I'm glad Sony went with them this time around. No doubt the end result means a cheaper launch price.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    I'm just glad to see there's so much passion going into the PS4, from Sony to AMD to the developers... everyone seems incredibly excited about being a part of it... and that makes me excited as a gamer.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I'm just glad to see there's so much passion going into the PS4, from Sony to AMD to the developers... everyone seems incredibly excited about being a part of it... and that makes me excited as a gamer.
    Indeed. I'm looking forward to it!

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

I used to be completely about AMD's and their superior abilities until I ended up having an early mid-life crisis and moving to 4 different continents in 4 years and a PC became an impossibility, it was laptops or (at that time) the ipad. Love AMDs, but they kind've let the ball drop in the laptop market and i really hope they can gain ground with tablets. I have a Lenovo w520 I7 and its a BEAST of a machine, but i cant help wonder what it could really do with a serious AMD processor under the hood...

Thread Information