Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Click the link. There is no 7990 in the chart of that link. That is what I was pointing out.
    I see. My bad.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    They don't put dual card GPU's on the list. Reason both 7990/690 are absent. And why the Titan looks so impressive c

BBK. Tapatalking.

Forum Sage
    What does that even mean? With an average of 45 fps you'd get framerate drops to 15-20 in heated situations but what I'm saying is that he needs to consider upgrading CPU because the one he has will make that $300 dollar card, perform like a US$200 dollar one. Also, that graph belongs to a high end card. With a low-mid end card, he'd be getting unplayable framerates in Far Cry 3.

He wants to upgrade his rig, and he deserves to know all the implications. If you don't care about losing about 40% of performance, that's your problem. It isn't you we're trying to help.

@Lethal_NFS: I know it's a $#@! having to upgrade the whole thing. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    because 45fps at 1080p is unplayable?
    I'm not gonna say tables have turned, but you might want to check this out:

AMD has ramped up their Gaming Evolved program, formerly dominated by Nvidia's "The way it's meant to be played". Most big titles in last months came better optimized for AMD out of the box, like Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Dishonored and also will Battlefield 4.

To have things in perspective, Tomb Raider, to me the second best looking title on every platform (second to Crysis 3) is currently UNPLAYABLE in nVidia hardware, while it came already optimized for AMD.

You might want to take that into account.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Ah if that's your budget then stick to that. I would recommend the GTX 660TI as that is supposed to be a real good card but that is in the $290 price range. Then again i'm moving away from the Red team and into the Green. Got burned by too many shody drivers and updates from AMD. Just a personal thing though.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...Radeon+HD+7850

that's where it stacks up against the others
    Last edited by Aquanox; 04-01-2013 at 13:16.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    What does that even mean? With an average of 45 fps you'd get framerate drops to 15-20 in heated situations but what I'm saying is that he needs to consider upgrading CPU because the one he has will make that $300 dollar card, perform like a US$200 dollar one. Also, that graph belongs to a high end card. With a low-mid end card, he'd be getting unplayable framerates in Far Cry 3.

He wants to upgrade his rig, and he deserves to know all the implications. If you don't care about losing about 40% of performance, that's your problem. It isn't you we're trying to help.
    huh?

you realise we are talking about a $200 card right o_O

the GPU is interchangeable; lethal can carry his 7850 into what ever PC he gets next. the CPU, at this point in time, is more than sufficient. there is no need to point it out.

i've always used intel, so i can't speak for AMD, but the only game i play that will go as low as you say with my c2q is fallout and crysis (off the top of my head)
    i haven't tried Far-cry 3 yet but from what i've read all CPU's will drop significant frame numbers.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    huh?

you realise we are talking about a $200 card right o_O

the GPU is interchangeable; lethal can carry his 7850 into what ever PC he gets next. the CPU, at this point in time, is more than sufficient. there is no need to point it out.

i've always used intel, so i can't speak for AMD, but the only game i play that will go as low as you say with my c2q is fallout and crysis (off the top of my head)
    i haven't tried Far-cry 3 yet but from what i've read all CPU's will drop significant frame numbers.
    How about you stop talking as it was about YOU? I don't give a damn about your preferences or needs, I'm talking to the OP.

He's looking at a $200 card and I'm telling him that for newer games, that CPU WILL be a bottleneck. If he wants to go Crossfire/SLI for higher performance, it will be even worse. If he can live without getting the most of that GPU (You don't even know if he's staying at US$200) then that's ok, but he deserves to know that games like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider WILL need more than that CPU... let alone 2014 games with all new engines being launched.

The reason I now have a high-end PC is in part, because people told me what I could and could not do with Low-End Hardware in threads like these, I realized what I would be missing and made an extra effort.

So STOP telling me what the gentleman needs or doesn't need to know. Let HIM decide and stop acting as if this thread was about you.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    How about you stop talking as it was about YOU? I don't give a damn about your preferences or needs, I'm talking to the OP.

He's looking at a $200 card and I'm telling him that for newer games, that CPU WILL be a bottleneck. If he wants to go Crossfire/SLI for higher performance, it will be even worse. If he can live without getting the most of that GPU (You don't even know if he's staying at US$200) then that's ok, but he deserves to know that games like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider WILL need more than that CPU... let alone 2014 games with all new engines being launched.

The reason I now have a high-end PC is in part, because people told me what I could and could not do with Low-End Hardware in threads like these, I realized what I would be missing and made an extra effort.

So STOP telling me what the gentleman needs or doesn't need to know. Let HIM decide and stop acting as if this thread was about you.
    yeah, i've seen your 7990 and 3770k in the PC thread.

lethal has provided his parameters: price, performance. and if i quote you "I'm afraid to tell you bro, that even if you buy an enthusiast card, that CPU will hold it back."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I sort of want to upgrade my PC to give me an option to play some PC games at a respectable detail level. My system specs are not that great, I will list them below.
    you've been using the high end stuff for too long, it seems, to think 45fps is a bad framerate. yes there will be framerate fluctuations; its a given. Lethal even pointed out his system wasn't great.

whereas i've tried to help with his card of choice, you've simply come in here to rain on his parade.

so be constructive. tell lethal how to get the best GPU, CPU, Mobo, for $200. rather than turn your ire at me for pointing out the obvious.

EDIT:
    to address your concerns about why i refer to my system so much: Lethal's Specs, with the 7850, would give him a system similar to mine. gigabyte 6870, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.0GHz, 4GB RAM.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-03-2013 at 11:41.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    you've been using the high end stuff for too long, it seems, to think 45fps is a bad framerate. yes there will be framerate fluctuations; its a given. Lethal even pointed out his system wasn't great.

whereas i've tried to help with his card of choice, you've simply come in here to rain on his parade.

so be constructive. tell lethal how to get the best GPU, CPU, Mobo, for $200. rather than turn your ire at me for pointing out the obvious.
    I've given him ONE game CPU scaling graph and you're talking as if it was an absolute reference. Also buying a new card right now needs to be taken carefully .. they might work fine with older games but starting later this year, the gaming industry will make a big jump, we need to consider this as well. In case he's thinking on buying a second card in the future to catch up, then he NEEDs to know that CPU will hold it back. Got it?

As for framerates, averages aren't exactly the best way of measuring smoothness. Minimum rates are better for that. Skyrim for example, can go as low a 10fps with older CPUs. I used the graph only to show him how much can a CPU affect performance.

Last but not least, I'm not raining on anyone's parade. Last time I've checked he still didn't buy anything. I'm giving him my advice, you don't need to rant about it. We can discuss about it but don't come here telling me my advice is unnecessary whereas yours is the holy grail. You already say you don't care much about framerate, then again, this thread is not about YOU.

Edit: He probably don't want a system similar to yours. Let HIM decide. Jeez!

if i recall, there isn't an "Official" 7990
    one of the vendors simply samiched two 7970's together.
    Actually 3 vendors. Powercolor, HIS and Club3D.
    Last edited by Aquanox; 04-03-2013 at 12:59.

Forum Sage
    Accidental double post.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I've given him ONE game CPU scaling graph and you're talking as if it was an absolute reference. Also buying a new card right now needs to be taken carefully .. they might work fine with older games but starting later this year, the gaming industry will make a big jump, we need to consider this as well. In case he's thinking on buying a second card in the future to catch up, then he NEEDs to know that CPU will hold it back. Got it?

As for framerates, averages aren't exactly the best way of measuring smoothness. Minimum rates are better for that. Skyrim for example, can go as low a 10fps with older CPUs. I used the graph only to show him how much can a CPU affect performance.

Last but not least, I'm not raining on anyone's parade. Last time I've checked he still didn't buy anything. I'm giving him my advice, you don't need to rant about it. We can discuss about it but don't come here telling me my advice is unnecessary whereas yours is the holy grail. You already say you don't care much about framerate, then again, this thread is not about YOU.

Edit: He probably don't want a system similar to yours. Let HIM decide. Jeez!

Actually 3 vendors. Powercolor, HIS and Club3D.
    don't confuse my being frank as ranting...

you've yet to actually help though.
    more so, your being contradictory.

as i say though, 45-60 fps is respectable.
    I sort of want to upgrade my PC to give me an option to play some PC games at a respectable detail level. My system specs are not that great, I will list them below.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Just read through the rest of the new replies. I appreciate everyone's input.

Just to clarify a little of what I am going for. I want to upgrade my PC enough to where I can play some of these pre-PS4 games at a higher detail. Once the PS4 comes out, I most likely will not use my PC for gaming at all. I would like to play Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider at high detail. My cpu is obviously outdated. I am not sure how much a 3ghz quad core cpu will bottleneck the 7850 video card either.

I am really not looking to upgrade for the future, just for right now. When I feel the time is right, I will build a fresh new system with all the newest parts. But for right now, I just want to play those 2 games at high settings. The 7850 card combined with my current specs should get me there right?

And again, I do appreciate everyone's input. I can understand why some would suggest I spend a little more money for much more performance.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    your current CPU is fine

your quad core will suffice until the consoles release.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    Tomb Raider is one of the most demanding and best looking games out there on PC, right after Crysis 3. It's better optimized for AMD (Currently unplayable on nVdia Hardware for what I've read on Steam. You will need to lower some settings down unless you have a killer PC but it will still look great.

On the other hand, Bioshock uses UE3 a greatly optimized engine and it's not nearly as demanding as the other two. You say though, you're not gaming on your PC when PS4 gets released, which is reasonable (Though PC will still have the upper hand in terms of visuals ) but I understand you probably don't want to upgrade your whole hardware when you're saving for the PS4.

I'd say... go for this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-GI...item2c6d06727d

You can overclock it to perform like a 7970 and I'd also recommend you to OC the hell of that CPU if possible.

It's a bit above the budget but it will be well worth the price and you will probably want to upgrade to Crossfire later on in 1 year or two when they're damn cheap.

Cheers!

Just read through the rest of the new replies. I appreciate everyone's input.

Just to clarify a little of what I am going for. I want to upgrade my PC enough to where I can play some of these pre-PS4 games at a higher detail. Once the PS4 comes out, I most likely will not use my PC for gaming at all. I would like to play Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider at high detail. My cpu is obviously outdated. I am not sure how much a 3ghz quad core cpu will bottleneck the 7850 video card either.

I am really not looking to upgrade for the future, just for right now. When I feel the time is right, I will build a fresh new system with all the newest parts. But for right now, I just want to play those 2 games at high settings. The 7850 card combined with my current specs should get me there right?

And again, I do appreciate everyone's input. I can understand why some would suggest I spend a little more money for much more performance.
    Last edited by Aquanox; 04-03-2013 at 22:32.

13. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XxRichie98xX
    LoL,guysmydads AMD laptop with an A6 and $#@!ty radeon graphics card,can run every game i play ?!
    Im gonna get a better one tho

HI!!
    My babys :
    PS3 160gb slim
    psp 3000 slim and lite
    ps 4
    ID:XxRichie98xX

"Play life,with 100% save!"

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The Athlon 2 isnt far off Phenom 2 pace (clock for clock) when encoding video and archiving files and such, a few seconds here or there but the phenom 2 suposedly over clocks better. Plus if your board is $#@! makes it even harder to get a stable overclock.

My Phenom 2 X4 955 is clocked at 3.8 if you can get there then you can play Tombraider pretty well with a 7850 let alone 7950. I have a 6870 which isnt as good.

BRB gonna do a Tombraider benchmark will post results.

RESULTS

Pic show the settings used in the following 2 bench marks the only difference is "High precision is on or off"

High precision OFF

High precision ON

Next bench i disabled High precision and lowered SSAO and Shadow resolution to NORMAL.

I could probably gain a few more FPS if I turned tesselation off.
    Not sure which of these is on or off but there doesn't seem a great deal of difference to me. Open in new tabs tabs to compare easy.
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...AEAAC2C29A1E9/
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...CE0DDAEDBF9A3/

Not sure how much difference a CPU overclock will make in this game.

Some pics of what it looks like witht he settigns I used.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/keefy/s.../?appid=203160
    Last edited by keefy; 04-04-2013 at 10:26.

Forum Sage
    I'm pretty mad at Ubisoft and their latest games. Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed III are horribly optimized. The first have a very irregular performance on DX11... with framerate drops out of nowhere, and AC3 doesn't even do CPU multithreading. Without an Overclocked CPU, it's impossible to play above 45fps.

Horrible last few months for Ubisoft, they should've delayed the PC version of AC3 to make it a proper port.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Just found this article that tests tomb raider with recent (within the last 2 or 3 years) processors coupled with a 7970 GPU and one of them is a Athlon II 640 quad core.

You may be surprised by the results.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/645-t...nce/page5.html
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2013 at 16:47.

Thread Information