Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    Eh? Doesn't Killzone also have tessellation just like Crysis 3? So we are pretty much saying that Killzone SF with tessellation has more tessellation than Crysis 3 without tessellation. That's like saying Killzone SF runs at a higher resolution than Crysis 3 running on PC at 720p. I sense the presence of the repeated console vs PC warz!
    I wasn't aware the demo had tessellation. I'm sure ps4 games WILL have it but as far as I know tessellation wasn't running in the KZ demo. Like I said in my first post, I might be wrong about this but there was no mention of it in the technical slides posted by GG

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    oh there's a war coming.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I wasn't aware the demo had tessellation. I'm sure ps4 games WILL have it but as far as I know tessellation wasn't running in the KZ demo. Like I said in my first post, I might be wrong about this but there was no mention of it in the technical slides posted by GG
    The demo totally had tessellation. Trust me on that. That high poly count wouldn't have been there otherwise, and honestly why would they not use tessellation in KZ Shadowfall?

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Why would you use tessellation if you were already pushing crazy amounts of polygons?
    Tessellation is used to bump detail in low poly meshes.
    Ok, so it sounds to me like you don't understand how tessellation is used. Tessellation is most commonly used with displacement maps to take a low poly mesh, turn it into a high poly mesh, and then use displacement maps to add geometric detail to the new high poly (tessellated) mesh. It allows artists to more easily create unique detail that can easily change.

You could tessellate a 6 sided cube so that it's made up of a billion polygons. For game developers' purposes merely doing that would be pretty much useless and that's not what they do. They allow surfaces to be tessellated so that the tessellated geometry can be made to represent the shapes and contours of a displacement map.

Additionally, you can change the displacement map, or even use an animated map, to change the surface geometry of a tessellated mesh. It allows you to more easily create detail and other interesting things more efficiently and with less development time than just, herp derp, creating lots of geometry on everything "by hand".

I deduced poly counts because no matter how you slice it Crysis 3 is a CURRENT gen game and without tesselation it can't match KZ polycounts
    It's a current gen game that can scale well on hardware that already far exceeds the capabilities of what's in the upcoming consoles. Your justification for saying the new KZ pushes more polys is effectively, "I'm justified in making that claim because KZ pushes more polys".

Also, from what I've played of Crysis 3, Crytek scaled tessellation back. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that Crysis 2 pushes more polygons that the new KZ. ​ I'm pretty confident there will be lots of "current gen" pc games that will end up being more poly intensive than KZ and other big budget shooters on the new consoles.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 06-05-2013 at 01:43.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    log10(4.5)=.653~

log10(2)=.301~

Yup yup! Graph is not skewed!
    This thread was really pissing me off so I had to log in just to repost this.

It's a f*cking logarithmic graph, it is not skewed in any way. Apparently none of you passed high school algebra.

Dedicated Member

Messiah!

I can't help but read all about the Tessellation and it brings back memories of the old Messiah game and it's Dynamic Tessellation engine, lol.

http://www.dperry.com/archives/artic...ssiah_what_yo/

http://www.giantbomb.com/messiah/3030-18189/

Thread Information