Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

PC vs. Consoles performance in the last 13 years.

According to nVidia.

Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am tired of hearing about Nvidia and their damn shots against consoles all of a sudden. Why are we just now hearing them make these statements? I am starting to hate Nvidia lol.

Now that they are not making money off consoles, they are trying to convince people to buy their damn cards for their PC. I would go with AMD over Nvidia anyways.
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-01-2013 at 04:34.

Forum Sage
    Yeah they seem a bit butt hurt.

Also, it's not fair to compare consoles with Titan. Never before a single core card had a US$1k pricetag. That's ridiculous. They should've taken a 680 as an example.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    Yeah they seem a bit butt hurt.

Also, it's not fair to compare consoles with Titan. Never before a single core card had a US$1k pricetag. That's ridiculous. They should've taken a 680 as an example.
    It's definitely a silly comparison. :/
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    That 3x claim by nvidia is BS imo.

That chart also shows titan to be around 6TF range which is completely false afaik. Titan is 4.5TF and ps4 is around 2TF. Half of the computational power of PC cards is lost in overhead so nvidia is only just a tiny amount ahead when you consider 'to the metal' coding and efficiency gains as the gen goes on.

Further more they forgot to mention that the titan is A FREAKING $1000 GPU THAT SUCKS MORE POWER THAN THE ENTIRE CONSOLE

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    That 3x claim by nvidia is BS imo.

That chart also shows titan to be around 6TF range which is completely false afaik. Titan is 4.5TF and ps4 is around 2TF. Half of the computational power of PC cards is lost in overhead so nvidia is only just a tiny amount ahead when you consider 'to the metal' coding and efficiency gains as the gen goes on.
    The memory bandwidth on the Titan is also 288.4 GB/sec, which again is not 3x that of the PS4's 176 GB/sec. It's 1.63x greater. Methinks NVIDIA is blowing smoke.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    It shows that PC is a constantly evolving platform and that there is no next gen per se.

ITs not measuring memory bandwidth they are measuring flops.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-01-2013 at 06:03.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    ITs not measuring memory bandwidth they are measuring flops.
    Yes... I realize that. The point is they're inflating the Titan's power... the chart is a blatant lie. Here's a nifty image to demonstrate:

The chart is purposely skewed where the Teraflops is higher on the chart than the 5 Teraflops mark... it's almost at 6 or higher... which I just find annoying. It should be below the 5 Teraflops mark. The PS4 has "almost 2 teraflops" of computing performance. The Titan has 4.5. You do the math and see the bull$#@!. They either did that on purpose or NVIDIA sucks ass at making graphs.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-01-2013 at 07:31.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    nvidia are acting like really sore losers lately

Administrator
    nvidia are acting like really sore losers lately
    I'm glad they're making sure to let us know their $1000 GPU beats a $500-ish dollar console.

11. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Wow! NVIDIA is SOOOOO MAD! Lol. I'm glad Sony switched to ATI. Last time, Sony got a chip that was outpowered by the 360's ATI chip and the sad thing to is that the 360's GPU was probably cheaper too lol. That's was NVIDIA gets selling overpriced goods.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Yes... I realize that. The point is they're inflating the Titan's power... the chart is a blatant lie. Here's a nifty image to demonstrate:

The chart is purposely skewed where the Teraflops is higher on the chart than the 5 Teraflops mark... it's almost at 6 or higher... which I just find annoying. It should be below the 5 Teraflops mark. The PS4 has "almost 2 teraflops" of computing performance. The Titan has 4.5. You do the math and see the bull$#@!. They either did that on purpose or NVIDIA sucks ass at making graphs.
    The chart is actually not skewed in that sense. You can't say that that is where the 5 teroflop mark is because this graph is exponential, not linear.

The graph is bs anyways. The 360 was not more powerful than the 7800 (or even the 6800) at all lol. And they didn't list the 7950GX2.
    Last edited by Foraeli; 04-01-2013 at 08:07.

Dedicated Member

PSN ID
    Foraeli
    log10(4.5)=.653~

log10(2)=.301~

Yup yup! Graph is not skewed!

Forum Sage

Oh I'm so surprised. Who is this graph for? Did anyone even question the PS4's Ability to take on the Titan (or any other high end GPU?)

Obvious chart is obvious

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foraeli View Post
    The chart is actually not skewed in that sense. You can't say that that is where the 5 teroflop mark is because this graph is exponential, not linear.

The graph is bs anyways. The 360 was not more powerful than the 7800 (or even the 6800) at all lol. And they didn't list the 7950GX2.
    Yes the 7800GTX has 512MB RAM on its own and can run Half life 2 or Portal with full details over 100FPS.

Dedicated Member

If you combine the single-precision floating point performance (4.5TFLOPS) and the double-precision performance (~1.5TFLOPS) then you get around 6TFLOPS. Kepler can perform single and double precision floating-point operations simultaneously. So technically its correct.

18. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    If you combine the single-precision floating point performance (4.5TFLOPS) and the double-precision performance (~1.5TFLOPS) then you get around 6TFLOPS. Kepler can perform single and double precision floating-point operations simultaneously. So technically its correct.
    oh yeah that was the new feature for kepler architecture right? forgot about that

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    nVidia just loves to rip on consoles lately...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Except on their website they list a max of 4.5 TFlops... in the "Kepler" section of the card. If it was technically 6, I'm sure they'd make mention of it... it is NVIDIA and they do love to brag.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Sounds about right, consoles are getting closer and closer due to hardware pretty much getting to a point where it's as real as it can get, it's not like the SNES/PS1 days where the PC games were way ahead even at launch of those consoles. The only thing I don't believe is that PS4/720 gap lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I love how people jump to conclusions without thinking about things first.

5000 is not halfway between 1000 and 10000 thus 5000 is higher up than the middle point.

24. Likes keefy likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Except on their website they list a max of 4.5 TFlops... in the "Kepler" section of the card. If it was technically 6, I'm sure they'd make mention of it... it is NVIDIA and they do love to brag.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series
    No it does have 6TF

Administrator
    It says 4.5 Teraflops single precision and 1.3 Teraflops double precision... which has already been established. I'm saying if the combined TFlops is 5.8, NVIDIA would make it a point to clarify that on their own website for the Titan.

But if the total combined TFlops is in fact 5.8, it would put it above the performance of the GTX 690, which is 5.6 TFlops. So... that can't be accurate.

Or maybe I'm just missing something.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-02-2013 at 17:41.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I love how people jump to conclusions without thinking about things first.

5000 is not halfway between 1000 and 10000 thus 5000 is higher up than the middle point.
    LOL yes never noticed until now.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-02-2013 at 17:56.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The gap is 9000 so half of that is dun dun duuurrrn. 4.5
    Yep... lol.

Thread Information