Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

From Neogaf

http://club.tgfcer.com/thread-6638884-1-1.html
    I saw that ex-UBI guy in TGFC(that chinese tech forum) talked about the same thing 2 days ago
    "上周五项目收到了第一批Durango的Beta Kit,主机超大一个白盒子,新手柄。而且主机和手柄都贴着不规律黑色的胶带条纹,就和新车发布前的伪装似 的。"
    (Last Friday received the first batch of Durango Beta Kit,console is a huge white box,and new controller.Console and controller are plastered with irregular black stripes tape,like camouflage a new car before announce.)
    But i didn't post it because it's from April 1 and he said it's dual APU lol
    "最重要的是,Beta Kit竟然里面有两个APU,就和之前部分软饭猜测的一样。我操,这下猛了。"
    (Most important thing is,the beta come with 2 APU,just like some MS fans guess.$#@! that's crazy)

-------------

Interesting... Also refers to the stripes on the controller as the Kotaku article.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533556

Take all of this with a pinch of salt.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Holy crap... you registered a month before me!
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Banned

The only way I can reasonably believe the 2 APU claim is if it's two current quad-core APUs with roughly the same or a little less total CPU and GPU performance as the final kit.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    我只想对那位转帖Neogaf的仁兄说一句:你的智商是负的。
    下次我会说Durango有4个APU,你就不会信了。
    Translation:

To the guy who reposted on neogaf, you must have negative intelligence.

The next time I do this, I'll say the Durango has 4 APUs instead, so you'll not believe it.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 04-03-2013 at 17:28.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Seems like an, April Fools joke.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Let's pretend it's not april fools japery for 5 seconds. The only way the Durango will have 2 APU's is if the second one is a very low power (probably ARM) unit merely designed for background and standby functions, just like the PS4.

It doesn't have 2 Jaguar based x86 APU's no matter how much you want it. And lol how can you talk about efficiency in one thread then suggest a dual-APU set up in another. Talk about a contradiction.

7. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Guru
    I guess we all must be April fooled then.

The current Xbox 720 beta kit contains two APUs, according to a new leak.

TGFC member called BD, who is supposed to be an ex-Ubisoft employee, and who also leaked the Xbox 720 specs earlier which contained an Eight-core CPU and 8 GB RAM, has posted that the latest beta kit for the Xbox 720 has two APUs or dual APUs.

Now this is quite an incredible engineering feat if it is true. This was posted on April 1, however, BD has also posted that the Xbox 720 controllers were covered in irregular black tape stripes, almost camouflage like.

Kotaku had posted their rumour on April 2 and mentioned the same thing about the controller having stripes. So it seems BD’s post was legitimate.

“Last Friday project received the first batch of Durango, Beta Kit, Host oversized white box, new handle,” he wrote (translated from Chinese). “And host and handle are plastered with the irregular black tape stripes, and the new car before the release of camouflage-like. The most important thing is, Beta Kit actually there are two APU.”

Microsoft should be officially revealing their next Xbox sometime later this year. It was originally supposed to be revealed in April, but was delayed by a month.

It is interesting to note that the PS4 has only one APU, so if the final Xbox 720 architecture contains two APUs, it just changes the whole dynamics of next gen competition.

http://www.gamechup.com/xbox-720-bet...pus/#more-4092
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Forum Elder
    Looks like 360 will blow pc out of the water for a couple years, /joke.

That thing would cost $800.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Let's pretend it's not april fools japery for 5 seconds. The only way the Durango will have 2 APU's is if the second one is a very low power (probably ARM) unit merely designed for background and standby functions, just like the PS4. It doesn't have 2 Jaguar based x86 APU's no matter how much you want it. And lol how can you talk about efficiency in one thread then suggest a dual-APU set up in another. Talk about a contradiction.

Elite Guru
    Im just posting info bro, to spark conversation, but I have always believed in the dual SOCs. Im not contradicting myself, I am merely adding to the conversation whether these rumors are true or not they bring discussion.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Let's pretend it's not april fools japery for 5 seconds. The only way the Durango will have 2 APU's is if the second one is a very low power (probably ARM) unit merely designed for background and standby functions, just like the PS4.

It doesn't have 2 Jaguar based x86 APU's no matter how much you want it. And lol how can you talk about efficiency in one thread then suggest a dual-APU set up in another. Talk about a contradiction.
    Err, no that's not the "only way".

I've already told you one way.

Ill quote myself...

Again, I say this, I really do believe the specs will be similar to this.

2 SOC's

-App (or Games) SOC
    -System SOC

Game SOC
    -(6-8 core x86)
    -1.2 TF GPU with 12 CU's

System SOC
    -x86 or even Xenon based
    -1.2 TF GPU 12 CU's
    -Deals with Kinect
    -Deals with "compute"
    -Deals with dash. video apps, web cam etc etc.

The advantages of making the system SOC Xenon?
    -Built in BC
    -App portability
    -Dash portability.

Not sure if they will do that however.

Hell, THEY have already told you...

Last edited by mynd; 04-03-2013 at 20:58.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Err, no that's not the "only way".

I've already told you one way.

Ill quote myself...

Hell, THEY have already told you...
    Err, low power. It is the only way. I know even you don't believe it could have two Jaguar APU's at 1.2TF each and you're more invested in the idea than anyone

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    I guess we all must be April fooled then.
    So another site runs an article based on a rumour and it makes it real?

The original poster of the 2x APU admitted to making it up. Went in to say next time he'll make the rumour less believable IE: 4x APU

Before anyone asks about my source... It's the same as the OP, just read the whole thread, not just the original "news"

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Err, low power. It is the only way. I know even you don't believe it could have two Jaguar APU's at 1.2TF each and you're more invested in the idea than anyone
    Oh I dont think it 2 x 8 CPU.

But an 8 and 2 , maybe.
    Or a 6 and a 2
    or a 4 and a 4.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Oh I dont think it 2 x 8 CPU.

But an 8 and 2 , maybe.
    Or a 6 and a 2
    or a 4 and a 4.
    A 6/8 - 2 setup would essentially be the same as what the PS4 is going with, just in a different manner (however I don't think Sony have even released details about the second PS4 chip), with both low power solutions doing the same jobs.

As for 4-4, in what way would that be beneficial at all? Be a lot better to just go with a single 8 core.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    A 6/8 - 2 setup would essentially be the same as what the PS4 is going with, just in a different manner (however I don't think Sony have even released details about the second PS4 chip), with both low power solutions doing the same jobs.

As for 4-4, in what way would that be beneficial at all? Be a lot better to just go with a single 8 core.
    Whatever they are doing, its clear they want the System O/S not impacting on games at all, well that's their ideal, and they have said Kinect has zero resource allocation on the game CPU's.

Banned

If the second APU was an ARM chip, what would the other half of the die contain? I couldn't see them making a x86 CPU + Radeon GPU and a ARM CPU + Radeon GPU setup.

If it's just an ARM chip, then it's not an APU. It must have another function on the die to qualify as an APU. And on the same die is key. AMD had a true quad core before Intel cuz Intel took two dual-core dies and slapped them together in the same package originally. Intel's true quad-cores came out later.

Soldier 95B
    I just got my head wrapped around what a CPU and GPU is. What the $#@! is this APU crap now? Sometimes I feel like I need to attend classes for the "special", cuz this crap is out of my league.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I just got my head wrapped around what a CPU and GPU is. What the $#@! is this APU crap now? Sometimes I feel like I need to attend classes for the "special", cuz this crap is out of my league.
    essentially, AMD take one low powered CPU, and one low powered GPU, accelerate them to insanely high speeds and crash them together. the result is an APU, or 'Accelerated Processing Unit'

in fact, the resulting collision is said to create a chip so powerful it gives mass to everything around it

i joke
    an APU is just a CPU and GPU put together on one chip.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

21. Likes Fon likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    essentially, AMD take one low powered CPU, and one low powered GPU, accelerate them to insanely high speeds and crash them together. the result is an APU, or 'Accelerated Processing Unit'

in fact, the resulting collision is said to create a chip so powerful it gives mass to everything around it

i joke
    Now THAT I understand

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...latform-patent
    This article posted by eurogamer on july 2012 shows the design of the systems architecture

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    If the second APU was an ARM chip, what would the other half of the die contain? I couldn't see them making a x86 CPU + Radeon GPU and a ARM CPU + Radeon GPU setup.

If it's just an ARM chip, then it's not an APU. It must have another function on the die to qualify as an APU. And on the same die is key. AMD had a true quad core before Intel cuz Intel took two dual-core dies and slapped them together in the same package originally. Intel's true quad-cores came out later.
    AMD have already outlined plans in other sectors of the market for APU's using an ARM CPU core and their own GPU's. So yes it could be an ARM chip inside an AMD APU

all hypothetical of course because this has already been debunked as an april fools.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Fake article is fake. April Fools. Moving on.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Fake article is fake. April Fools. Moving on.
    Forza 4 with Kinect was leaked on April 1st was thought as an April Fools jok and it turned out to be very real.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post

i joke
    I was sitting here thinking "What the heck is he talking about?". Great humor bro, haha.

Thread Information