Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You got a warning for this...

some of us should be banned then.
    Yeah... apparently. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    He's trying to say that it doesn't work like that on the PC, you have to have a graphics card (which uses GDDR) and you can't just solely have your main motherboard RAM (which is DDR only), so having 32GB of DDR instead of a GFX card is pointless and is much slower anyway even if you had an IGP crappy solution - which uses DDR only.

However if you he does get 32GB DDR pass it my way, I want to use that for modelling and rendering large outdoor areas!
    Yes, this is what I meant. Thank you.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-06-2013 at 05:39.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

3. Likes TEEDA likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    the PS4 verison looks good but i wanna see it runing on final PS4 hardware

Forum Sage

Meh. Texture mapping looks like crap... on both versions. And some things still look baked. The lighting discrepancies are understandable and I hope they fix them in time for E3 and PS4's release but I'm not holding my breath.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    He's trying to say that it doesn't work like that on the PC, you have to have a graphics card (which uses GDDR) and you can't just solely have your main motherboard RAM (which is DDR only), so having 32GB of DDR instead of a GFX card is pointless and is much slower anyway even if you had an IGP crappy solution - which uses DDR only.
    You are of course assuming all you're doing is rendering graphics and not actually playing a game, right?

Because if you're actually playing a game then most of that 8GB of RAM will be filled by the game engine, not the graphics. In that case part of your bandwidth in the PS4 will be used by the CPU rather than the GPU, while the PC will have that same game engine in separate RAM dedicated to the CPU that provides the CPU with all of the bandwidth it needs. Then, whatever graphics you have are loaded to the GPU with it's GDDR-5.

There is no advantage to having GDDR-5 feeding your CPU. The CPU is only going to use around 20GB/Sec bandwidth max. DDR3 system ram can exceed that and will do it with lower latency. And unless you're only looking at a graphics demo most of your RAM will be filled up with data heading to the CPU, not the GPU.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You got a warning for this...

some of us should be banned then.
    Continually telling someone they're missing the point without explaining it themselves is trolling, especially when PBM didn't even explain anything in the first place. He waited for Varsh to explain it.

So please try to be more respectful of other members in the future. Thanks guys.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    You are of course assuming all you're doing is rendering graphics and not actually playing a game, right?

Because if you're actually playing a game then most of that 8GB of RAM will be filled by the game engine, not the graphics. In that case part of your bandwidth in the PS4 will be used by the CPU rather than the GPU, while the PC will have that same game engine in separate RAM dedicated to the CPU that provides the CPU with all of the bandwidth it needs. Then, whatever graphics you have are loaded to the GPU with it's GDDR-5.

There is no advantage to having GDDR-5 feeding your CPU. The CPU is only going to use around 20GB/Sec bandwidth max. DDR3 system ram can exceed that and will do it with lower latency. And unless you're only looking at a graphics demo most of your RAM will be filled up with data heading to the CPU, not the GPU.
    You've completely misquoted me here. I know exactly how a PC works (I ought to know, I've built and made PCs as well as done a degree with hardware in mind for many a year now) and my entire post was hypothetical in relevance to PBMs post. Please don't assume.

When it comes to rendering you require RAM in order to hold the information of the entire scene, the graphics card in this case can either:
    A) Be used for rendering via CUDA or
    B) Not be used and have all computations be calculated on the CPU instead
    GDDR is not required at all during rendering only it's cores are, the GDDR only helps for realtime viewport display.

You wondered why I asked for 32GB RAM? It's for being able to render larger scenes - I'd rather not have to cut up the scene or lower the detail just to fit it into RAM.

9. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Continually telling someone they're missing the point without explaining it themselves is trolling, especially when PBM didn't even explain anything in the first place. He waited for Varsh to explain it.

So please try to be more respectful of other members in the future. Thanks guys.
    More like you're singling me out.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

11. Likes davin_g likes this post
    Master Guru
    My goodness the PS4 is going to have some incredible visuals.

Apprentice
    Show me the PS4 games maaan. I can't take it anymore.... I feel so____

Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 04-08-2013 at 21:37.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Thread Information