Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,612
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,258 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    And you still don't get the point.
    You got a warning for this...

    some of us should be banned then.

  2. #52
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,093
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    116,982 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You got a warning for this...

    some of us should be banned then.
    Yeah... apparently. -_-



    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    He's trying to say that it doesn't work like that on the PC, you have to have a graphics card (which uses GDDR) and you can't just solely have your main motherboard RAM (which is DDR only), so having 32GB of DDR instead of a GFX card is pointless and is much slower anyway even if you had an IGP crappy solution - which uses DDR only.

    However if you he does get 32GB DDR pass it my way, I want to use that for modelling and rendering large outdoor areas!
    Yes, this is what I meant. Thank you.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-06-2013 at 05:39.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  3. Likes TEEDA likes this post
  4. #53
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,863
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    28,188 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    the PS4 verison looks good but i wanna see it runing on final PS4 hardware

  5. #54
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,336
    Rep Power
    99
    Points
    824 (0 Banked)
    Meh. Texture mapping looks like crap... on both versions. And some things still look baked. The lighting discrepancies are understandable and I hope they fix them in time for E3 and PS4's release but I'm not holding my breath.

  6. #55
    Dedicated Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,478
    Rep Power
    39
    Points
    19,189 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    He's trying to say that it doesn't work like that on the PC, you have to have a graphics card (which uses GDDR) and you can't just solely have your main motherboard RAM (which is DDR only), so having 32GB of DDR instead of a GFX card is pointless and is much slower anyway even if you had an IGP crappy solution - which uses DDR only.
    You are of course assuming all you're doing is rendering graphics and not actually playing a game, right?

    Because if you're actually playing a game then most of that 8GB of RAM will be filled by the game engine, not the graphics. In that case part of your bandwidth in the PS4 will be used by the CPU rather than the GPU, while the PC will have that same game engine in separate RAM dedicated to the CPU that provides the CPU with all of the bandwidth it needs. Then, whatever graphics you have are loaded to the GPU with it's GDDR-5.

    There is no advantage to having GDDR-5 feeding your CPU. The CPU is only going to use around 20GB/Sec bandwidth max. DDR3 system ram can exceed that and will do it with lower latency. And unless you're only looking at a graphics demo most of your RAM will be filled up with data heading to the CPU, not the GPU.

  7. #56
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,854
    Rep Power
    159
    Points
    67,861 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    You got a warning for this...

    some of us should be banned then.
    Continually telling someone they're missing the point without explaining it themselves is trolling, especially when PBM didn't even explain anything in the first place. He waited for Varsh to explain it.

    So please try to be more respectful of other members in the future. Thanks guys.

  8. #57
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,200
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    16,582 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    You are of course assuming all you're doing is rendering graphics and not actually playing a game, right?

    Because if you're actually playing a game then most of that 8GB of RAM will be filled by the game engine, not the graphics. In that case part of your bandwidth in the PS4 will be used by the CPU rather than the GPU, while the PC will have that same game engine in separate RAM dedicated to the CPU that provides the CPU with all of the bandwidth it needs. Then, whatever graphics you have are loaded to the GPU with it's GDDR-5.

    There is no advantage to having GDDR-5 feeding your CPU. The CPU is only going to use around 20GB/Sec bandwidth max. DDR3 system ram can exceed that and will do it with lower latency. And unless you're only looking at a graphics demo most of your RAM will be filled up with data heading to the CPU, not the GPU.
    You've completely misquoted me here. I know exactly how a PC works (I ought to know, I've built and made PCs as well as done a degree with hardware in mind for many a year now) and my entire post was hypothetical in relevance to PBMs post. Please don't assume.

    When it comes to rendering you require RAM in order to hold the information of the entire scene, the graphics card in this case can either:
    A) Be used for rendering via CUDA or
    B) Not be used and have all computations be calculated on the CPU instead
    GDDR is not required at all during rendering only it's cores are, the GDDR only helps for realtime viewport display.

    You wondered why I asked for 32GB RAM? It's for being able to render larger scenes - I'd rather not have to cut up the scene or lower the detail just to fit it into RAM.

  9. Likes x_terna likes this post
  10. #58
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,093
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    116,982 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Continually telling someone they're missing the point without explaining it themselves is trolling, especially when PBM didn't even explain anything in the first place. He waited for Varsh to explain it.

    So please try to be more respectful of other members in the future. Thanks guys.
    More like you're singling me out.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  11. Likes davin_g likes this post
  12. #59
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,705
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    34,625 (0 Banked)
    My goodness the PS4 is going to have some incredible visuals.


  13. #60
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    Show me the PS4 games maaan. I can't take it anymore.... I feel so____

    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 04-08-2013 at 21:37.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.