Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Or Sony knew that people will reject high price tech. #PS3 #Vita

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I don't know.....Sony surprised everyone by upping the RAM to 8GB. That does not sound like Sony worrying about making the console more affordable.
    Upping the RAM is far cheaper then trying to throw an expensive new CPU like the CELL and a expensive new drive format like the Blu-Ray in it. They went with a much cheaper CPU and no new disc format to push this time.

Plus since the Xbox 720 has long been rumored to have 8GB, they had to do it too. No way were they gonna settle on less if their main hardcore console competitor has it.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 04-05-2013 at 15:43.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Maybe and maybe not.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    $#@! that mobile/tablet gaming talk. Ya i saw some good games on Ipads and Iphones and whatever but this is not the "real" gaming i wanted. Give me a powerful console with a comfortable controller and let me chill on my sofa in the front of an 50" HDTV with surround sound and so on. I hate it when everybody thinks the casual way is the only way. To much games were ruined because of that. It all started with the Wii and now today it´s the tablets and kinect stuff that drive it further...

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by bariton1 View Post
    $#@! that mobile/tablet gaming talk. Ya i saw some good games on Ipads and Iphones and whatever but this is not the "real" gaming i wanted. Give me a powerful console with a comfortable controller and let me chill on my sofa in the front of an 50" HDTV with surround sound and so on. I hate it when everybody thinks the casual way is the only way. To much games were ruined because of that. It all started with the Wii and now today it´s the tablets and kinect stuff that drive it further...
    $#@! off. Nowt wrong with casual..just because you don't like it..tough tits.. its how its goin to be. Tablet gaming etc is only gonna grow...don't like it? Move on. Simples.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    $#@! off. Nowt wrong with casual..just because you don't like it..tough tits.. its how its goin to be. Tablet gaming etc is only gonna grow...don't like it? Move on. Simples.
    you are talking to yourself right now with that comment. Not the entire comment but towards the end. ugh.

If it does grow but it doesn't matter even if it grows a little bit more, it wont move up a place because that is where tablet gaming is at and will always be at, behind everything else.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Cheaper hardware...yet still producing a more powerful system then that of competitors rumored specs. Sounds like a win win. Great price point at launch and still a beefy console. I"ve seen what the PS3 is capable of. The PS4 is roughly 4 times as powerful and has far more RAM to spare. I think I'll be set as a customer.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Super Elite
    I don't fully agree with the former exec Sony went with a tried and tested method that developers use.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Veteran
    I like some tablet and mobile gaming, but in no way do In ee it overtaking home console gaming. I see it more as complimentary to console gaming. I can not play a fps/tps or any more in depth type of game when your hands are covering up 1/3 of the screen to access on screen buttons and it gets more annoying without standardized button layouts and placement or tactile feedback of those on screen buttons so your always taking your eyes off the action to see where a button is or why you keep missing it.

Besides, imagine a tablet capable of PS3/4/360 type games. How long do you think that battery life would be and dont say plug it in. That defeats the whole point of mobile gaming and at that point you might aswell sit comfortably on your couch with your wireless controller and play on a big screen.
    Last edited by faaeng; 04-06-2013 at 23:00.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Master Poster
    Thought Devs said they don't know the inside of the PS4 Yet? How did EA know? *Facepalm*

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Its really gonna come down to price. I don't expect it to be 600 bucks this time around.

However using a "cheaper" hardware doesn't necessarily mean its cheap hardware its obviously more cost effective hardware lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Overseer
    EA = El capitán obvio

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    he got the rights to say his opinion.
    Last edited by The Cage; 04-07-2013 at 04:38.

Master Poster
    Double post :s

Superior Member

First off I think the guy misspoke. Sony went for a more cost efficient console this time around. Sony didn't go for CHEAP hardware...they actually listened to the dev community and built a console that they asked for. Easy dev tools, simple architecture, and plenty of horsepower. Not only that but they certainly didn't go cheap. They actually went for the most expensive ram they could get....and when they felt that wouldn't give their console the edge it needed....they doubled the EXPENSIVE RAM. That doesn't sound like CHEAP hardware to me. They didn't cheap out....they just allocated their resources WISELY. Instead of putting the big money into new media and an exotic cpu they put the money where it can best serve them most...memory...fast memory...and LOTS of it. Certainly their new chip isn't exactly a value chip but it could no where come close to costing them what they invested in cell. Cell and bluray pushed their console costs out of the mainstream....and since bluray was slow to adopt and IBM and Sonys cell didn't make its well into really other products like they believed it could it made the costs stay high. Couple that with a global recession that hit literally days before their initial launch they really had a perfect storm to try to sell against. They got battered and beaten for years but with quality games and constant console improvements and their worldwide sales channels got them back on par. The economy is still sluggish...especially the japanese one it made perfect sense to perhaps draw in the reigns and build a console that could become profitable quickly and still have enough horsepower and flexibility to stay relevent for years. I think they just were more responsible and focused on building the most efficient powerful console they could...and not perhaps taking risks and investing their whole company's future on one device. Even if the PS4 isn't say a PS2 market dominator they won't sink the company and certainly there is nothing to suggest it couldn't at least hold ps3's market share so this was a safe investment...but yet if the market plays out in their favor....they could see a big turn around in the gaming division....something they desperately need.

Thread Information