Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

EA exec says Sony went for cheaper hardware for fear of smaller install base

http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/04/ps4-...ormer-ea-exec/

PS4: Sony went for “cheaper hardware” for fear of smaller install base – Cousins

PS4 is made up of cheaper hardware than its predecessor because Sony fears it will see a smaller install base in next-gen, ex-Battlefield producer and EA exec Ben Cousins has suggested.

Former EA exec Cousins is now heading up development of The Drowning at Scattered Entertainment, a game that promises to push boundaries in the tablet space. It’s a corner of the industry he clearly feels strongly about, along with the notion of triple-a free-to-play titles.
    Speaking with GI.biz Cousins suggested that his team would be targeting gamers who buy into a console cycle mid-way through and buy games like FIFA and Call of Duty, rather than dabbling in far-reaching titles. He argued that tablets are going to become a more attractive prospect for this particular brand of gamer.
    “We kind of feel that particularly tablets are becoming, will become, a solution for that problem or for that need”, he said. “Soon it will be like actually, I’m getting everything I need here, do I really need to buy a console? These are the sort of guys who buy a console halfway through the cycle rather than right at the start.
    “I think the problem with the console model and certainly with the previous generation was that it needed the ultra-hardcore, the kids, and those kind of mid-core or whatever you it call it, mainstream gamers, to a buy a console in order to make a profit because it just needed massive volume.”
    Cousins suggested that Sony has realised that this shift in player-base is changing when developing PS4 and explained why this may have prompted them to go for cheaper hardware than it did with PS3.
    “It was interesting to see PS4 clearly go for what looks like cheaper hardware than last time around,” he continued, “so maybe that’s a kind of defensive move against their expectation that they’re not going to have the same install base, or maybe they just want to hit profitability quicker because of Sony’s less stable financial state at the moment.”
    When asked if this was also because of Sony’s lesser financial situation than this time ahead of the PS3′s launch, Cousins replied, “Exactly, so that was interesting. That feels like they’re kind of acknowledging the threat and they’re kind of doing the best they can to kind of defend against it.
    “But I do still feel like…and maybe it’s a selection bias, but most of the people I talk to and whose work I read are kind of in agreement…that this time around console install bases will be smaller. And probably will be focused more on that core audience. It’s certainly not going to be kids and casual gamers buying consoles any more I don’t think, they’re going to be all on mobile.”
    What do you think about the tablet space and its ability to challenge the console gaming archetype as we know it? Let us know below.
    Last edited by TwentyThree; 04-04-2013 at 21:41.

2. Dislikes Sparc is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Superior Member
    Considering the ps3 estimated cost for Sony around launch was around $800 on launch, it makes sense that they would have cheaper hardware this time around.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Dont believe it, they most likely went for cheaper hardware cause they know noone wants to buy another $600 console.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

5. Likes Ghost , Kauldron, Two4DaMoney , Itachi wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    “But I do still feel like…and maybe it’s a selection bias, but most of the people I talk to and whose work I read are kind of in agreement…that this time around console install bases will be smaller. And probably will be focused more on that core audience. It’s certainly not going to be kids and casual gamers buying consoles any more I don’t think, they’re going to be all on mobile.”
    I hope EA to leave the hardcores and focus on the mobile gaming!!!
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

7. Likes Morganator wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Dont believe it, they most likely went for cheaper hardware cause they know noone wants to buy another $600 console.
    That is what they said.

9. Likes Aquanox wishes they had posted this first.
    Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Why do we give a crap what an EA exec says? Sony already stated why they went with AMD in several interviews now. Thanks EA for the groundbreaking observations.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

11. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    The install base won't be smaller. Can hardly believe someone from EA thinks that

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The install base won't be smaller. Can hardly believe someone from EA thinks that
    That's because EA is spreading propaganda like they have always done for some reason since the PS3 launched

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Which comes down to profit. They don't think someone wants to buy a $600 console, so they make it cheaper, so it can be priced lower; earn more profit by generating a larger install base.
    Why isn't it a valid point? It isn't hard to believe regardless of where someone has worked in the past.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    That is what they said.
    Didnt read like that to me, and I dont believe for a second its due to the install base. Its just what the consumer would be willing to spend.
    Though I did get turned off half way through, especially after Tablets and that started showing up

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Why isn't it a valid point? It isn't hard to believe regardless of where someone has worked in the past.
    Because console user bases have increased every generation since the very beginning and have never decreased. At worst the numbers will stay static. It's a totally invalid point my friend. Mobile/tablet, these are just not the same market.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Because console user bases have increased every generation since the very beginning and have never decreased. At worst the numbers will stay static. It's a totally invalid point my friend. Mobile/tablet, these are just not the same market.
    Having increase doesn't necessarily mean the same thing though. Yes, it increased, but not as much as it increased previously. The tablet/mobile market is increasing more and more. The idea that the console install base might be smaller is a valid point to make. That doesn't mean it IS going to happen, but it certainly could.

Superior Member
    Items User name style
    This guy is no longer at EA, and as he works for a "mobile/tablet only" studio, i doubt he has a ps4 devkit handy.

EA have more pressing issues to deal with.

Sony and Microsoft choosing the common x86_64 architecture will only benefit the industry as a whole.

The proliferation of easy to use tools and APIs should ensure a larger pool of launch games. We all know that it is games, or the promise of certain high quality games that ultimately sell hardware. Good price/performance value hardware coupled with tried and tested components is common sense in such turbulent economic markets.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 04-04-2013 at 21:22.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    This is the type of garbage EA needs to get out of their company. Thank goodness that jackass John Riccitiello is out of there. The guy in the article is a dumbass, it's that simple. I had to stop reading at a certain point because I wont waste my time reading trash from a guy that clearly doesn't get it.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 04-04-2013 at 22:20.

Elite Guru
    Sony learned a valuable lesson from the PS3 launch. That is, consumers aren't willing to pay top tier prices on their hardware. Think about how many times you've read (or even said) Sony need to price cut x,y,z. They can no longer charge a premium because recent evidence suggests people won't buy.

A lower entry point for this generation was practically a given. That said, if they've got value for money in their build, they should reap the rewards out the other side.

21. Likes sainraja wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Please change the title as "former ea exec says" ...
    And about console users ; new generation is not like us, they love tablets and play angrybirds for years. Yet an average console gamer, spend around ten times than a casual.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Having increase doesn't necessarily mean the same thing though. Yes, it increased, but not as much as it increased previously. The tablet/mobile market is increasing more and more. The idea that the console install base might be smaller is a valid point to make. That doesn't mean it IS going to happen, but it certainly could.
    Sure, a remote chance. Not enough to warrant talking about it as if it's likely

This gen started right before the biggest recession in modern history, the PS3 was extremely expensive and consoles have still outsold last gen. There's nothing at all to suggest sales will drop this time, especially since it has been a 6-7 year gap

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    The article is not that bad, maybe he should have used the word 'affordable' rather than 'cheap'. Him suggesting that Sony made this move because in his opinion the core is shifting towards tablet and mobile gaming or that there is a bigger market there is where I do disagree with him, Sony has mentioned they will tackle that market but not at the cost of losing core gamers. I just find that difficult to believe.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Lol, that's the point of the article
    Basically, more expensive console, less install base.

Altough, I could just say "duh" to the entire article. Of course they're going to go cheaper this time around since it didn't work for them this gen.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyThree View Post
    The article is not that bad, maybe he should have used the word 'affordable' rather than 'cheap'. Him suggesting that Sony made this move because in his opinion the core is shifting towards tablet and mobile gaming or that there is a bigger market there is where I do disagree with him, Sony has mentioned they will tackle that market but not at the cost of losing core gamers. I just find that difficult to believe.
    What do you find difficult to believe, that "Sony will tackle that market but not at the cost of losing core gamers"?

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    What do you find difficult to believe, that "Sony will tackle that market but not at the cost of losing core gamers"?
    No. I find difficult to believe that Sony went with more affordable hardware because it expects the core market of the PS4 to be weak or shifting to a more mainstream mobile gaming market. I think Sony will do fine in the mobile market just don't think that market has anything to do with why Sony went with more affordable hardware on the PS4.

Ultimate Veteran
    I hope EA goes out of business.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I hope EA goes out of business.
    Remember it was a former ea exec.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Superior Member

Geez... he may be a former exec, but that doesn't disqualify him from giving an educated opinion. I give someone in the industry a tad bit more credibility then joe average console player on a forum. He does make some valid points.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I don't know.....Sony surprised everyone by upping the RAM to 8GB. That does not sound like Sony worrying about making the console more affordable.

Thread Information