Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 as well. Can we blame this guy for the demise of Lucasarts while we're at it?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    He must be fairly new to MS, I'm guessing it might be time to move on LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 as well. Can we blame this guy for the demise of Lucasarts while we're at it?
    While it was a god awefull game, there are bigger mistakes that Lucasarts made than actually finally producing a game....

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Question, what exactly is the role of a creative director for a video game? Or his role exactly within MS?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Just because you make a console able to drop the "online always" requirement through an update, doesn't mean it will allow pirating. If the copy protection can't be circumvented, it won't be. If the copy protection can be circumvented, it will be regardless of whether the "online always" requirement can be update toggled off or not.

Now if a hacker could toggle the "online always" requirement off, he's only gonna get offline play and be able to play used games.
    Yup, that was more or less what I was getting at. Architect a network connection in such a way that you fool the Xbox into thinking it is checking in with whatever server it is supposed to and you are back to free reign.. Much like the old Satellite TV set top boxes could be hacked by connecting a fairly low powered Linux machine up to them back in the day.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    There is no way they can go through with this! It would be suicide in my opinion as they would be shutting out so many potential buyers of their product. There are millions of current 360 owners who have ZERO interest in XBL currently, but do enjoy playing games on the 360. So why connect the machine? Dashboard updates are a part of newly purchased 360 games now anyway, so no need to update online. I just don't see the reasoning behind this (unless they are going the route to STOP pre-owned games with licensing), and how from a business stand point this could EVER be a good idea, IMO.

9 years and counting!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by justintheman87 View Post
    There is no way they can go through with this! It would be suicide in my opinion as they would be shutting out so many potential buyers of their product. There are millions of current 360 owners who have ZERO interest in XBL currently, but do enjoy playing games on the 360. So why connect the machine? Dashboard updates are a part of newly purchased 360 games now anyway, so no need to update online. I just don't see the reasoning behind this (unless they are going the route to STOP pre-owned games with licensing), and how from a business stand point this could EVER be a good idea, IMO.
    If you follow all the rumors, MS's supposed plans would fall directly in line with a T.V. cable company model. Will that model work with gaming? That is the question.

Settop box
    Always connected and monitored
    Fee to rent the box and for the channels.
    Advertisements
    If the power goes out I can't watch any T.V.

As a matter of fact, didn't MS recently purchase some type of movie or T.V. studio? I believe so.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I wanted to give you the official Microsoft Statement regarding some comments you may have seen yesterday::

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

As frequent readers of my blog know, the moment we have news about our products I will be sharing all the details I can
    http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/of...aid-yesterday/

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    lmfao that guy is screwed.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Holy $#@! MS finally speaks! Even if it's PR lol...they're alive!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Update: Pennywise also discovered a pretty distinct developer leaving a highly implicit post on the matter:

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills ."

Ruh Roh.

Turns out this guy work for "The Workshop", which has made Sorcery fro PS3, a bit of DLC for Borderlands 2 and is currently making a game for the PS4.....

Trolled.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    lmfao that guy is screwed.
    Yeah....he better get creative looking for a new job
    Last edited by mynd; 04-06-2013 at 00:24.

Forum Overseer

Drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I understand that companies generally don't comment on rumors.

But I find it interesting that they shot down the guy but not the rumor. If that was false then why even care to comment on the guy?

I read that rumor earlier and ignored it but now my ears are open.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-06-2013 at 00:37.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    If you follow all the rumors, MS's supposed plans would fall directly in line with a T.V. cable company model. Will that model work with gaming? That is the question.

Settop box
    Always connected and monitored
    Fee to rent the box and for the channels.
    Advertisements
    If the power goes out I can't watch any T.V.

As a matter of fact, didn't MS recently purchase some type of movie or T.V. studio? I believe so.
    Wonder if they're looking to use a similar business model. It would be quite interesting.

£100/$100 or less for the console itself. XBL gold or whatever they call it is required, so the whole package becomes a subscription service. I doubt that's what they're doing, but it's possible

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    So major nelson came out of hiding?

Forum Overseer

Wonder if they're looking to use a similar business model. It would be quite interesting.

£100/$100 or less for the console itself. XBL gold or whatever they call it is required, so the whole package becomes a subscription service. I doubt that's what they're doing, but it's possible
    I highly doubt they'll charge $100 or 100 pounds for it. Even if they go somewhat down this route, that price point won't make sense if they want to get out a system that has super specs.

I also don't see them going down this path hardcore...if anything, probably a secondary focus.

As for the internet connection...it'd be a suicide so I don't think it's possible but maybe it is a modified version of what we're hearing and maybe not as bad as we think. It all depends on how you approach it...change a few things here and there and you have a winner.

DD wouldn't be so bad if they changed a couple of things about it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I highly doubt they'll charge $100 or 100 pounds for it. Even if they go somewhat down this route, that price point won't make sense if they want to get out a system that has super specs. I also don't see them going down this path hardcore...if anything, probably a secondary focus. As for the internet connection...it'd be a suicide so I don't think it's possible but maybe it is a modified version of what we're hearing and maybe not as bad as we think. It all depends on how you approach it...change a few things here and there and you have a winner. DD wouldn't be so bad if they changed a couple of things about it.
    And if DD games were cheaper than retail.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I highly doubt they'll charge $100 or 100 pounds for it. Even if they go somewhat down this route, that price point won't make sense if they want to get out a system that has super specs.

I also don't see them going down this path hardcore...if anything, probably a secondary focus.

As for the internet connection...it'd be a suicide so I don't think it's possible but maybe it is a modified version of what we're hearing and maybe not as bad as we think. It all depends on how you approach it...change a few things here and there and you have a winner.

who knows though, lately Microsoft's been doing stupid $#@! after stupid $#@! and ballmer is leading the way for the entire company. after all he does have the final say so I'm not discarding the rumors.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Veteran

If that was their plan, how much do you think they'd charge for the box?

The reason it could be possible - or something similar anyway, is because it's obvious MS's main ambition for their Xbox division now is to be highly profitable and you don't necessarily need the highest install base to make the most money.

Ancient
    Last edited by TGO; 04-06-2013 at 01:09.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

19. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Your as late to the party as Major Nelson

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Your as late to the party as Major Nelson
    Dammit lol
    Repost for new page then lol

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    And if DD games were cheaper than retail.
    That and we can sell them somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    who knows though, lately Microsoft's been doing stupid $#@! after stupid $#@! and ballmer is leading the way for the entire company. after all he does have the final say so I'm not discarding the rumors.
    I donno, just doesn't add up to me. I know there has to be some weight to all these rumors but the real thing might be on the lighter side.
    If that was their plan, how much do you think they'd charge for the box?

The reason it could be possible - or something similar anyway, is because it's obvious MS's main ambition for their Xbox division now is to be highly profitable and you don't necessarily need the highest install base to make the most money.
    They would lose too many people in the process. Too risky imo. Nintendo did a bold move with the Wii because they were desperate...unless MS has gone insane, they have nothing to worry about. Just come out with a strong console and improve your online service...and they are in competition.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Orth so screwed. Funny how a social media will likely be the reason for him being fired. That is if he loses his job which I think he will. Some people should learn from this mistake and not post every damn thing that pops in your head on social media. MS will likely can this guy because he showed how unprofessional he is. Not something you want to reflect on your company.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't know why anyone is taking MSes statement as a debunk. I'm sure they would like to sell you an XBox if you live in the country.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I don't know why anyone is taking MSes statement as a debunk. I'm sure they would like to sell you an XBox if you live in the country.
    The same reason why some people are taking a rumor as gospel truth.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-06-2013 at 08:19.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    The same reason why some people are taking a rumor as gospel truth.
    Check my previous post to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Turns out this guy work for "The Workshop", which has made Sorcery fro PS3, a bit of DLC for Borderlands 2 and is currently making a game for the PS4.....

Trolled.....
    So, are we just assuming he knows nothing about the NextBox based on this? No developer has officially claimed to be working on Nextbox titles. We have no earthly idea what is in its launch window. I simply fail to see how you come to the conclusion I've been trolled. I also don't see how anyone has said MS has made a stand on the issue of Always Online with their statement. They took careful measure not to speak on anything regarding the 720 and essentially apologized for the guy being a $#@!wad about it.

I'm really sorry to say, but MS had a golden opportunity to make their stance on online connected DRM fairly plain and instead, left you with nothing. The inpenetrable fortress of silence around the 720 is failing.. It is failing hard.
    Last edited by Lefein; 04-06-2013 at 11:17.

Thread Information