Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    True but that's only at Gamestop. The difference can be about $10-$20 at times. I've seen games sold for crazy cheap before. Especially with BD being scratchless, I can see that being a negative for Sony in the end as there's almost no incentive in buying a new copy unless there's an online pass involved. Though if the difference is $5-$10, who cares. But generally the difference can be at least $10, up to $20.
    Yep youre right. If you go to places like Best Buy, Hastings and even the super Walmart game section you can find alot of games with $10 or $20 mark downs.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I get used games from Gamefly on the cheap. Just paid $12 for Dragon's Dogma. So not everywhere only has that 5-10 dollar drop off.
    Trust me, especially for unpopular games such as that, you can get them even cheaper...you might not get the nicest case but the game will be perfect.

I've bought 5-6 games for about $40 from Amazon. Trick was that the seller didn't raise shipping and had tons of used games (it was a used-games store) so all of the games were 6-8 bucks. It's pretty insane how many great games you can get this way. It works out perfectly for me as I don't get a chance to play as often. I just buy them in bulk used and cheap.

And to fulfill my online addiction, I buy those games straight up (usually with some sort of a pre-order discount)...it just works out really well for me.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Trust me, especially for unpopular games such as that, you can get them even cheaper...you might not get the nicest case but the game will be perfect.

I've bought 5-6 games for about $40 from Amazon. Trick was that the seller didn't raise shipping and had tons of used games (it was a used-games store) so all of the games were 6-8 bucks. It's pretty insane how many great games you can get this way. It works out perfectly for me as I don't get a chance to play as often. I just buy them in bulk used and cheap.

And to fulfill my online addiction, I buy those games straight up (usually with some sort of a pre-order discount)...it just works out really well for me.
    The awesome thing about Gamefly is you get original codes with the game. They usually don't sell games that are too new. About six months out of release. But having online passes come with the games is a big plus.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    Hmm, I didn't know that. But then you'd need the sub for that service...as I don't have it and don't need it when I play mostly online shooters and ...literally barely 1-2 hours every few months of other games. I almost hate myself for doing it but I can't put down online shooters. Right now I'm kicking ass at BLOPS 2.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Hmm, I didn't know that. But then you'd need the sub for that service...as I don't have it and don't need it when I play mostly online shooters and ...literally barely 1-2 hours every few months of other games. I almost hate myself for doing it but I can't put down online shooters. Right now I'm kicking ass at BLOPS 2.
    I know what you mean about hating yourself lol. Both COD4 and BF3 have had their hooks in me and I played Fifa almost exclusively for about 18 months. Online games are addictive. But it feels good to detox yourself and get back to some good single player gaming.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    You can still buy you just don't get as good of a discount. It's more or less a bit of an extra for members.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I know what you mean about hating yourself lol. Both COD4 and BF3 have had their hooks in me and I played Fifa almost exclusively for about 18 months. Online games are addictive. But it feels good to detox yourself and get back to some good single player gaming.
    True however my problem is that i barely can get 8-10 hours a week in due to my son wanting to play instead. he can do anything in Black Ops and BF3 except get a kill and he's 2 1/2.

and when i say, everything, i mean, almost all the basic things you can do in the game i.e. aim, shoot, jump over obstacles, reload, lay down, crouch, (can't run as he can't press trigger buttons), get in a vehicle, get out, pick up weapons, choose different weapons, attachments, maps, end a game, commit suicide from the menu, change teams, somewhat follow a target through sights, start co-op with other people in bf3, go through server list to choose rooms that he likes the pictures of (maps), and $#@! I can't even think of at the moment.

He will shoot at objects in the game (cans, bottles, cones, setup charges i.e. c4, shock) successfully hit them with a single shot or burst.

I swear, once we have natural UI out there, we will find out much more crap about toddlers that we just don't know yet. Just a few years ago, I thought that it was amazing for a 5 year old girl to browse through youtube. My thinking has changed a lot about what kids can really do and what they are allowed to do...naturally (as some things are difficult to control) or by authority (parents can sometimes just limit kids from exploring potential).
    You can still buy you just don't get as good of a discount. It's more or less a bit of an extra for members.
    Ah I see. I can see it being useful if you get to utilize the service.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Or it could just be that the big appeal of BLOPS is the stupefyingly lack of skill you require to play the games. The first I noted when playing it was how it requires no skill, a bit of luck and that's it. Its empowering, and the sense of mastery is an easy hook.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-08-2013 at 20:59.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    True however my problem is that i barely can get 8-10 hours a week in due to my son wanting to play instead. he can do anything in Black Ops and BF3 except get a kill and he's 2 1/2.

and when i say, everything, i mean, almost all the basic things you can do in the game i.e. aim, shoot, jump over obstacles, reload, lay down, crouch, (can't run as he can't press trigger buttons), get in a vehicle, get out, pick up weapons, choose different weapons, attachments, maps, end a game, commit suicide from the menu, change teams, somewhat follow a target through sights, start co-op with other people in bf3, go through server list to choose rooms that he likes the pictures of (maps), and $#@! I can't even think of at the moment.

He will shoot at objects in the game (cans, bottles, cones, setup charges i.e. c4, shock) successfully hit them with a single shot or burst.

I swear, once we have natural UI out there, we will find out much more crap about toddlers that we just don't know yet. Just a few years ago, I thought that it was amazing for a 5 year old girl to browse through youtube. My thinking has changed a lot about what kids can really do and what they are allowed to do...naturally (as some things are difficult to control) or by authority (parents can sometimes just limit kids from exploring potential).
    Ah I see. I can see it being useful if you get to utilize the service.
    One of the reasons why I'm dreading a ban on used games. I don't know if rental games will suffer the same fate. I pay the equivalent to 4 New full price games a year with the service but I get to play roughly 14 New titles a year with gamefly. I also get good prices on games I missed out on. Hopefully they will come up with rental versions of games like they do with DVDs if this happens at some point.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Or it could just be that the big appeal of BLOPS is the stupefyingly lack of skill you require to play the games. The first I noted when playing it was how it requires no skill, a bit of luck and that's it. Its empowering, and the sense of mastery is an easy hook.
    I agree that there is a huge part of the game that makes it very easy and accessible for you but having played...almost all the greatest and most difficult shooters ever made...I have to disagree at some point.

There's definitely skill involved at the latter layers of the gameplay's depth. While it makes it easier for newbies to kill me...there is a point where you can still see a block where newbies can never get to without having actual aiming skills and the ability to use the controller to your advantage.

But yes, a lot of the game is based on non-gaming aspects such as perks/equipment.

One thing we always forget that the biggest reason this game is easy for casuals is not because it's easy to shoot straight in the game (it is easy but it's a lot more difficult than COD4 and eventually there is differentiation between an expert and novice once you get good at aiming) but the controls that are the best i've seen yet in any game ever...SOCOM being the second. And with aim-assist it makes it even more easy for them.

I don't like auto-assist and fair reasons why but that's a whole new topic however it's better to use it than not as there's too many advantages using it.

Back to the point, on the surface, you're correct but going in a lot of depth and hours upon hours of playing, there's definitely skill involved and it shows once you play with other good players.
    One of the reasons why I'm dreading a ban on used games. I don't know if rental games will suffer the same fate. I pay the equivalent to 4 New full price games a year with the service but I get to play roughly 14 New titles a year with gamefly. I also get good prices on games I missed out on. Hopefully they will come up with rental versions of games like they do with DVDs if this happens at some point.
    That remains to be seen...maybe they will make a deal with these console makers?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I agree that there is a huge part of the game that makes it very easy and accessible for you but having played...almost all the greatest and most difficult shooters ever made...I have to disagree at some point.

There's definitely skill involved at the latter layers of the gameplay's depth. While it makes it easier for newbies to kill me...there is a point where you can still see a block where newbies can never get to without having actual aiming skills and the ability to use the controller to your advantage.

But yes, a lot of the game is based on non-gaming aspects such as perks/equipment.

One thing we always forget that the biggest reason this game is easy for casuals is not because it's easy to shoot straight in the game (it is easy but it's a lot more difficult than COD4 and eventually there is differentiation between an expert and novice once you get good at aiming) but the controls that are the best i've seen yet in any game ever...SOCOM being the second. And with aim-assist it makes it even more easy for them.

I don't like auto-assist and fair reasons why but that's a whole new topic however it's better to use it than not as there's too many advantages using it.

Back to the point, on the surface, you're correct but going in a lot of depth and hours upon hours of playing, there's definitely skill involved and it shows once you play with other good players.
    That remains to be seen...maybe they will make a deal with these console makers?
    The mark of a truly great online shooter is the ability to counter and beat a target with whatever weapon is in you hand.
    Probably the best example of this was Unreal Tournament, not matter what you had in your hand, if you were skilled enough, you could turn the guy who thought he had the better weapons into a kill for you.

There is no counter in BLOPS, the game is not about how to kill, or counter kill, its all about racking up quick easy kills.

Thats why its empowering, pull the trigger blat blat-your dead, next. Whoops blat blat I'm dead, next..

Consider a kill in Halo, where you might play a merry dance with someone for a few seconds, or even 30 seconds before someone gets the kill.

The funniest thing I have seen is my son playing Halo against so called "BLOPS" experts, they expected you to just die soon as they shot at you, needless to say, he cleaned them up, they got stroppy wanted to play BLOPS, and guess what? He cleaned them up in that too. And he had never even played it before.

Skill is skill and you wont learn it from a instakill game like BLOPS. But it is gratifying for the inexperienced player. Its why its so dam popular.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    That's why after playing socom, every other multiplayer shooter out there just seems so $#@!ing easy and uninspiring! I haven't played blops2, but if I ever play against the best that game has to offer, I bet I'll fair Better than them coming to my territory(socom) and trying to hang

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

13. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    The mark of a truly great online shooter is the ability to counter and beat a target with whatever weapon is in you hand.
    Probably the best example of this was Unreal Tournament, not matter what you had in your hand, if you were skilled enough, you could turn the guy who thought he had the better weapons into a kill for you.

There is no counter in BLOPS, the game is not about how to kill, or counter kill, its all about racking up quick easy kills.

Thats why its empowering, pull the trigger blat blat-your dead, next. Whoops blat blat I'm dead, next..

Consider a kill in Halo, where you might play a merry dance with someone for a few seconds, or even 30 seconds before someone gets the kill.

The funniest thing I have seen is my son playing Halo against so called "BLOPS" experts, they expected you to just die soon as they shot at you, needless to say, he cleaned them up, they got stroppy wanted to play BLOPS, and guess what? He cleaned them up in that too. And he had never even played it before.

Skill is skill and you wont learn it from a instakill game like BLOPS. But it is gratifying for the inexperienced player. Its why its so dam popular.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. What you're saying is correct but the perspective you're looking at is not complete.

For example, it's possible that the BLOPS experts had not played a Halo game much. Regardless of one game requiring more skill than the other, if you haven't played it much, you're not going to be that good at it right away.

It's also possible that your son was playing with newbies and were only decent at BLOPS. It's possible that your son is also decent at BLOPS and just slightly better than his friends.

Basically, your example is anecdotal…such as mine but I'm very sure I have a lot more experience with COD than most people on this forum and beyond.

You're likely correct when speaking about respawn modes that don't require a lot of strategy but if you play Search & Destroy, especially Hardcore…you will definitely see a huge difference in the way the game is played…which is why I mentioned the layers of the depth of this game.

If the game didn't have a S&D mode and even no hardcore mode…I wouldn't touch it. But trust me, the game does involve a lot of skill. I'll agree that regular respawn modes are way easier than Halo games but the modes I'm speaking about isn't…especially hardcore...no way in hell your son can beat some of the players i run into or myself (sorry to break the bubble hehe) unless he's been training for months.

In fact, I have yet to see a kid be good at this game. Most people (especially kids) may be good at aiming or shooting but there's much more to the game than just that in S&D.

You know what, I have a few games bookmarked, i'll try and post them tonight. I'd like you to watch these videos and sort of see what I'm saying (hopefully I have some good examples in there). i'm not trying to be a bully or someone who's full of himself, I'm just trying to prove a point.

Until your son gets all the perks/equipment/attachments/gun choice and knowing all of these things well and then knowing strategy on how to rush, defend, offense, suppressive fire, (and then more detailed things such as i.e. dispersing enemy focus by attracting them towards you, understanding rush paths and knowing the best way to clear out rooms, to defeat top enemy players to demoralize the opposing team), if he doesn't know these basic things-which I've never seen kids know before as they're more interested in glitching and camping-there's no way in hell he can compete.

@Youngmullah. This is taking SOCOM in consideration. In a context, more or less, the game is just as difficult if not more as the advantage you have for having straight shooting (and let's not forget most SOCOM games were easy with shooting, it's the aim that was difficult for newbies), you lose that advantage as newbies can kill you just as easy and aim just as easy.

So the difference between an expert killing someone and a newbie might be a split second...but it's there and you can get better at it.

*looks at the topic* We totally went off course lol. I've actually been meaning to open a thread based on COD and skill involved. Maybe i'll do that soon so anyone who disagrees can post in there because I really do want to know why I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-08-2013 at 22:15.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I'm not disagreeing with you. What you're saying is correct but the perspective you're looking at is not complete.

For example, it's possible that the BLOPS experts had not played a Halo game much. Regardless of one game requiring more skill than the other, if you haven't played it much, you're not going to be that good at it right away.

It's also possible that your son was playing with newbies and were only decent at BLOPS. It's possible that your son is also decent at BLOPS and just slightly better than his friends.

Basically, your example is anecdotal…such as mine but I'm very sure I have a lot more experience with COD than most people on this forum and beyond.

You're likely correct when speaking about respawn modes that don't require a lot of strategy but if you play Search & Destroy, especially Hardcore…you will definitely see a huge difference in the way the game is played…which is why I mentioned the layers of the depth of this game.

If the game didn't have a S&D mode and even no hardcore mode…I wouldn't touch it. But trust me, the game does involve a lot of skill. I'll agree that regular respawn modes are way easier than Halo games but the modes I'm speaking about isn't…especially hardcore...no way in hell your son can beat some of the players i run into or myself (sorry to break the bubble hehe) unless he's been training for months.

In fact, I have yet to see a kid be good at this game. Most people (especially kids) may be good at aiming or shooting but there's much more to the game than just that in S&D.

You know what, I have a few games bookmarked, i'll try and post them tonight. I'd like you to watch these videos and sort of see what I'm saying (hopefully I have some good examples in there). i'm not trying to be a bully or someone who's full of himself, I'm just trying to prove a point.

Until your son gets all the perks/equipment/attachments/gun choice and knowing all of these things well and then knowing strategy on how to rush, defend, offense, suppressive fire, (and then more detailed things such as i.e. dispersing enemy focus by attracting them towards you, understanding rush paths and knowing the best way to clear out rooms, to defeat top enemy players to demoralize them), if he doesn't know these basic things-which I've never seen kids know before as they're more interested in glitching and camping-there's no way in hell he can compete.

@Youngmullah. This is taking SOCOM in consideration. In a context, more or less, the game is just as difficult if not more as the advantage you have for having straight shooting (and let's not forget most SOCOM games were easy with shooting, it's the aim that was difficult for newbies), you lose that advantage as newbies can kill you just as easy and aim just as easy.

So the difference between an expert killing someone and a newbie might be a split second...but it's there and you can get better at it.
    I have no doubt there some modes that do require skill, are they popular though? Are they what brings 8 million players to the game? No way in hell.

Look I don't play BLOP because I find it too dam easy, too dam flukey and just lacking any long term skill appeal, thats at it core mechanic, which is something if I don't find gratifying, Im never ever going to get into the deeper modes of play. Although I must say you have peaked my interest.

16. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    I have no doubt there some modes that do require skill, are they popular though? Are they what brings 8 million players to the game? No way in hell.

Look I don't play BLOP because I find it too dam easy, too dam flukey and just lacking any long term skill appeal, thats at it core mechanic, which is something if I don't find gratifying, Im never ever going to get into the deeper modes of play. Although I must say you have peaked my interest.
    I totally agree with you lol. It's not. There's always about 5k people that play HC S&D but there are definitely a lot more people playing in regular mode of S&D now than before.

Still, they make up for fraction of what the game is popular for. So yea I totally agree with you. The game really is stupid if you play regular modes, I wouldn't be able to stand it after 2 days.

The game is also getting faster and quicker...which I don't like but I've adapted to it. I'm actually not a twitchy player...which is what surprises me that I can compete in this game just as good as any twitchy player out there. I do rush a lot but I don't/can't play like some people can with their sensitivity all the way up and running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

This is a reference to Mullah, I actually play this game very much like I used to play SOCOM and yes SOCOM definitely required a lot more skill and strategy as the maps were bigger but this game is right up there with it. There's room-clearing and so many freaking ways to rush and defend now that I don't even know if I will ever completely experience the game in every way possible.

SOCOM was weak on room-clearing, I mean it was there but you mostly had to use third-person view to see...it's more realistic in COD...and you have more equipment to use going in, easier to use and more effective to use against campers.

Halo doesn't have these things but it's a different shooter so what can you say? Halo, to me was about using the environment (much like SOCOM) but also knowing how to use vehicles and how to team up with others (similar to COD/SOCOM). Halo is much more about aim than knowing how to control your gun or using different strategies on how to beat a camper/sniper/rusher/defender etc.

Mynd, I'd definitely suggest you to play S&D...maybe not right away and definitely not hardcore as it will discourage you. I'd suggest getting to a higher rank first, toying around with weapons and equipment and see which ones work for you. Don't prestige. Once you are confident, move onto regular S&D...once you get your first MVP or know enough of S&D that you understand where the rush points are and where enemies spawn...that sorta stuff. Then try HC S&D and you'll be hooked.

I'll make a thread on COD and post some vids. I want to see how many people out there don't know how great the series is.

P.S. COD sometimes bores me too as it doesn't have enough things to do in it other than weapons/equipment...there are no vehicles, you can't mess around as maps are too small...that's why I keep BF3 for times I want to do more than just shoot.

Forum Sage
    I get used games from Gamefly on the cheap. Just paid $12 for Dragon's Dogma. So not everywhere only has that 5-10 dollar drop off.
    For $7 dollars more you could have had that new from Amazon. I know it's on sale, but if you look around or wait a little -- you can get it new.

True but that's only at Gamestop. The difference can be about $10-$20 at times. I've seen games sold for crazy cheap before. Especially with BD being scratchless, I can see that being a negative for Sony in the end as there's almost no incentive in buying a new copy unless there's an online pass involved.

Though if the difference is $5-$10, who cares. But generally the difference can be at least $10, up to $20.
    That's usually when you can't find the game new anywhere (when used prices go below the traditional pricing.) I guess it's just me....but I would pay $10 dollars more for a new copy over a used one given the option.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    What's the real tangible point of Prestiging anyway?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    What's the real tangible point of Prestiging anyway?
    haha sorry to mods/smc if I'm derailing it more...

I've owned MW, MW2, BO, BO2 and have prestiged once (in BO2 as it was easier and was giving something i needed in return) and regretted it. Yea I don't get why people do it...i guess if you have buddies to play with or a clan, you're probably pressured into doing it or you might do it as it's easier to level with friends/clan.

otherwise i don't get it...sometimes you get golden guns or i think this time around there's more benefits but nothing that gives you any real advantage or even fun....i guess for some it might be fun to earn XP again? lol. it's mostly a status symbol and you truly realize how petty people are once you see them making a big deal out of what prestige someone is lol. yea well masterful prestige doesn't automatically teach you how to throw your concussion nades better.

21. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    True but that's only at Gamestop. The difference can be about $10-$20 at times. I've seen games sold for crazy cheap before. Especially with BD being scratchless, I can see that being a negative for Sony in the end as there's almost no incentive in buying a new copy unless there's an online pass involved. Though if the difference is $5-$10, who cares. But generally the difference can be at least $10, up to $20.
    Btw I just picked up ME2 on PS3 (with all DLC included) for $15 at Walmart. On PSN it goes for $34 and some change.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Btw I just picked up ME2 on PS3 (with all DLC included) for $15 at Walmart. On PSN it goes for $34 and some change.
    That's a great deal. I've seen ME3 new for $15-$18 at one point but probably didn't have DLC. If only it were more like a regular WRPG, I would scoop these games up.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    That's a great deal. I've seen ME3 new for $15-$18 at one point but probably didn't have DLC. If only it were more like a regular WRPG, I would scoop these games up.
    Yeah I'm a big fan of the series.

Thread Information