Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Paul Thurrott talking Xbox v.Next and Always On..

Microsoft has taken the unusual step of apologizing for public statements made by an employee about a feature of the next Xbox, a product that has yet to be announced. But let’s be clear: Microsoft is only apologizing for the way the message—“deal with it”—was delivered. I suspect it won’t be changing how the next Xbox works one bit.

To recap this mini-controversy, amidst swirling rumors about the next Xbox—which I’ll clarify below—Microsoft Studios Creative Director Adam Orth indirectly confirmed reports that this coming device would require an “always on” Internet connection in an admittedly bizarre series of Twitter tweets. “Sorry, I don’t get the drama around having an ‘always on’ console," he wrote. “Every device now is ‘always on.’ That's the world we live in.” Then, using a Twitter hashtag, he punctuated his point with the comment that, I think, really set people off: “Deal with it.”
    Deal with it, indeed. The Internet—or at least a certain part of the Internet—reacted with outrage, despite the fact that most of the complaints were likely made over high-speed cable connections.

I was asked about this guy’s alleged meltdown on Twitter and via email a number of times. My take-aways were simple:
    1) Always-on connectivity is indeed part of the next Xbox, and it was interesting to see this guy confirm that unofficially.
    2) He could have been more tactful, but let’s face it, people are way too sensitive online.
    3) The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.

And there it would have sat. I never would have written this up, because I can’t stand this sort of pseudo-outrage.
    But then Microsoft issued the following statement about the episode.
    “We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.”
    And now I have a fourth take-away.

4) Microsoft is only upset about the way this feature was communicated, because it likes to present this kind of thing has a positive, not a negative.
    Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection. I don’t know the specifics of what that means, but as I explained on this week’s What The Tech podcast, which was recorded on Friday instead of the usual Tuesday because of my travel earlier in this week, this piece of information had been communicated to me, along with some other relevant tidbits, in January. It’s true.

Will Microsoft change this requirement in the wake of early outrage? Frankly I think we’re too far along in the development process of the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, to make such a change. More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.
    With bad memories of the horrible SimCity launch in our minds—that PC game also requires an Internet connection, even in “single player” mode—it’s understandable why some are nervous about this. And yes, of course we’re going to hear from the people who live in rural areas of the US, or in parts of the world where Internet connections are slow and unreliable, expensive, and metered. As we always do when any cloud-computing-type issue arises.
    Deal with it.
    Just kidding. But the knee-jerk reaction to this functionality—which, again, could certainly have been communicated a bit better—is happening before we have all the facts. Let’s see what Microsoft has to say about the next Xbox, first in a late May launch event, and then later at both E3 and BUILD 2013, before we make up our minds. Let’s not let one ill-conceived comment ruin what’s going to be an awesome year for Xbox. And yes, it really is going to be awesome.
    http://winsupersite.com

2. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Very funny read through, 'cyberbullying' lol. It's always humorous to see how the professional fanboys try to spin stories for their multinational corporation of choice. He's got good sources though so it's now pretty much unofficially confirmed Nextbox is online-only.

Of course MS are annoyed by it, they didn't get the chance to declare how great online-only is before people could make up their own minds about it

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yay that's what I said too. The way they handled that, sort of confirms it.

and like I was saying, just because it's always-on doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it's probably not a bad feature...it's probably not exactly what we're thinking it is.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think it will be integrated in a way that makes people not care.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yep, sounds like its basically confirmed by MS. They just didnt like the way the message was delivered. Well thankyou MS for making my decision easier, because now I know I'm going PS4 only next gen. Deal with it.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-07-2013 at 20:48.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Online, offline or whatever, I'm still gonna get it. I The console is gonna be great.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Online, offline or whatever, I'm still gonna get it. I The console is gonna be great.

Give me the link for the video you watched to determine the nextbox is great please...

While this is annoying, PERSONALLY I don't mind much as it may not affect me much, my biggest problem is MS not making any games that interest me enough, the only game they have that can is Alan wake and that alone is not worth it. Hopefully some new IPs are shown.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Give me the link for the video you watched to determine the nextbox is great please...

While this is annoying, PERSONALLY I don't mind much as it may not affect me much, my biggest problem is MS not making any games that interest me enough, the only game they have that can is Alan wake and that alone is not worth it. Hopefully some new IPs are shown.
    I don't think there is any doubt that the nextbox will be great. It's just a matter of how great and will it be greater than the PS4. The always-online thing is definitely a sticking point but to think that it won't be great is pretty foolish.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Thinking something will be great and thinking something will suck without any confirmed evidence (specs, exclusive games, etc) is equally foolish.

Never got that with console releases - wait till the guys come out and show the games first. Because these are essentially what make or break them.

Until Sony came out and showed that they will be continuing with their first party stuff and also trying to create new IPs with their first party, it was a big "???" for me.

So until MS says "always online" = more or less Simcity 5 type of requirements of being online to play games, then it's safer to keep schtum until they say otherwise.
    Last edited by Admartian; 04-07-2013 at 23:18.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Thurrott talks a whole heap more....

“The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named ‘Yumo’ and they’re not making it. They may make one in the future, but it’s not happening this year.

“So the new Xbox that comes out this year will just be the Xbox. And I mentioned before they’re also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named ‘Stingray’ that will be $99. And you might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting—I don’t actually know this for a fact, but based on the fact that they’re making one—I don’t think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don’t actually know, that I’m guessing. But, the other one is that, $99, that’s a real coo price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that’s kind of a low cost entertainment device, too.

“Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says ‘must be internet-connected to use’ in the notes. And that’s all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

“I don’t know because I don’t know what it means. You know, when you look at some of the stories that were coming out this week about, you know, I saw a headline that said something like ‘Next Xbox could be okay without an internet connection for as long as 3 minutes’ or something like that. I don’t even know what that means, so for me, Xbox 360 is almost entirely an online experience. Most of the games I play are multiplayer, where you’re playing against other people online. Or you’re using it as an entertainment device when you’re connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says ‘must be internet-connected to use’, you know, that suggests that you can’t even boot into the UI and play—I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t have one.

“Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April—April 24—now they’re going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we’re going to learn more about Durango.

[And it's a fourth quarter release, right?]

“Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they’re going to talk about the developer story because it’s a Windows 8 device. It’s going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff. So I think there’s a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I’ve seen about Durango and I think, ‘it’s all positive.’ I don’t really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I’ve seen about this is really positive. It’s amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I’ve gotten from people is, ‘What does it look like?’ Who gives a $#@! what it looks like?

“I’ve actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who’ve said, ‘based on what I’ve seen, Sony is going to blow them away.’ Based on what you’ve seen? You’ve seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you’ve seen literally nothing from Microsoft.

[I don't think that's even a possibility considering how many people use Xbox LIVE... You're not going to have this mass Xbox audience jumping to Sony.]

“The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it’s Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it’s fairly finite. It’s a decent market, yada yada yada, it’s not the market for tablets, it’s not the market for smartphones.
    http://gamingeverything.com/45102/ru...9-360-console/

Recap

-$99 360
    -Xbox720 "must be connected to internet"
    -720 $500 price tag
    -Reveal May 21st.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

Recap

-$99 360
    -720 $500 price tag
    -Reveal May 21st.
    lol enough "yadda yaddas" for a Seinfeld episode.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    If it was $499, you couldn't justify weak sauce specs really.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    $99 is a real sweet spot for a 360 this holiday period. It'll sell like hot cakes

but I look at all this stuff that I’ve seen about Durango and I think, ‘it’s all positive.’

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    If it was $499, you couldn't justify weak sauce specs really.
    No you couldn't.

Thoguh I wish when game companies state $499 USD - that it actually translated to the equivalent of what it is here in NZ (and AU for that matter). Instead, we don't get the equivalent price, we get an uber inflated price - just see our games...

A $60 USD (and that's retail price) should be $71 NZD - but it's around $130. And even considering shipping costs, it shouldn't be more than 80NZD.

So a $499 USD console will probably be closer to $900NZD ($750 USD) than what it should be- $590NZD.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Yep, that made me laugh too. "All positive''? I want some of what he's been smoking. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-08-2013 at 00:08.

Forum Overseer

Recap

-$99 360
    -720 $500 price tag
    -Reveal May 21st.
    $99 360 $#@!, they're killing Sony with that price. Does that mean without the contract?

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    $99 360 $#@!, they're killing Sony with that price. Does that mean without the contract?
    Its a new console SKU.

I mentioned before they’re also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named ‘Stingray’ that will be $99.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Thinking something will be great and thinking something will suck without any confirmed evidence (specs, exclusive games, etc) is equally foolish.
    They're both gonna be great, there is no doubt about that.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    How often is this guy correct with his rumors?

If this $#@! turns out true. I'm...

internet for games containing a single player/local coop campaign is a big f'n NO.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 04-08-2013 at 08:30.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post

That link is the xbox360. It's great and I know things will only improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    They're both gonna be great, there is no doubt about that.
    indeed.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Hmmmm.... A nice sarcasm coated side warning if you ask me. $499? Weren't we all fiending over such price point in the other camp this gen? This is all quite amusing of so.

Forum Sage
    They can make it a connected console and design all features around it all they want; I think that's fine, I mean that's most likely what they are doing anyway.

As long as they leave single player alone (we should be able to play single-player without a connection.)

The internet always over-reacts. We don't know if single-player will be blocked offline.
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-08-2013 at 20:12.

24. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    Now i really wish they drop the ball at launch with the Nextbox. This should open some eyes cause you all know why this always-online is going to happen. Not because of new features, not because of communication tools, not because of social media stuff or some future visions. Just for one thing: online DRM !

That was the reason why Diablo 3 implement it, that was the reason why Sim City implement it and that will be the damn reason why Durango has it too. Deal with it. (But not me)
    Last edited by bariton1; 04-08-2013 at 20:36.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Hmmmm.... A nice sarcasm coated side warning if you ask me. $499? Weren't we all fiending over such price point in the other camp this gen? This is all quite amusing of so.
    Yep, $499 is a bit outside the average console consumers comfort zone imo.

Forum Overseer
    I would be surprised if they're below $399...but it's possible. Just shouldn't expect the bells and whistles from last time.

Best idea is to make the damn console for games first and then fit everything else in...or if want it to be for multipurpose then make sure it's software-based. Meaning, gamers shouldn't be paying extra for hardware they won't use.

I think MS will likely keep stuff software-based and will take a hit on Kinect 2.0. They know how important it is to price it low.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-08-2013 at 21:24.

Thread Information