Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm looking at the PS4 vs 720 debate from another angle entirely. The Xbox has operated with certain advantages that distinguish it from the Playstation and it has won the favor of the core gamer in the doing. These things have been the talking points for the past 8 years, and they are things that has made Xbox an XBox.
    Superior online play
    preferred development environment (aka superior multiplats and a more regular release of biggest franchises)
    price (at least at the onset)
    preferential treatment for DLC

The problem here is that it would never have been assumed that Sony would have made the architectural choices they have for the PS4. While there is no doubt that MS will put some serious coin back into their online infrastructure for the next console, all of the other advantages that the Xbox name is synonymous for have been Day 0'ed by the Playstation Meeting.

Then, Sony took the step of getting all 'Meta' with the PS4 and also designed into it some systems to overcome the shortcomings that gamers have just had to accept with the move to disc-based massive games. They are addressing load times, background patching and even game pauses/save states as it seems. All the while, making the system far better suited for the kind of multifunctionality that next-gen gaming will no doubt demand and XBox 720 will certainly underline with its non-gaming features.

It all begs the question. What is the Xbox 720 going to do to differentiate itself to the core gamer? We've seen that having uberrific specs doesn't equate a victory with the PS2 and the Wii. So, whatever the feather is in MSes cap, we're going to find out on the 21st, but I am skeptical that it has anything to do with gaming at all. The PS4 has addressed every single disadvantage that the Playstation 3 has had this generation and then some. In the year 2013, we're not talking about a Playstation 3 that is floundering or languishing, either but is the biggest selling console on planet earth.

It is, to this degree, my interest is piqued with the new XBox. It's not so much that I am betting on it being real head-to-head competition with the PS4 this time around. It's honestly the fact that I can't point at a thing not being addressed by the PS4 that isn't wonderful for me as a gamer and how it might just be possible that a company full of smarties like MS have thought of something that I haven't. If they are betting the farm on IPTV/cable box functionality, then I think they took the same bait Nintendo did (hook, line and sinker) and are betting against the core gamer for victory. Those people don't early adopt for anything that isn't a $200 knee-jerk purchase. However, there's always the possiblity that a true gamer-centric innovation could be made. It would be a spectacle.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I'm looking at the PS4 vs 720 debate from another angle entirely. The Xbox has operated with certain advantages that distinguish it from the Playstation and it has won the favor of the core gamer in the doing. These things have been the talking points for the past 8 years, and they are things that has made Xbox an XBox.
    Superior online play
    preferred development environment (aka superior multiplats and a more regular release of biggest franchises)
    price (at least at the onset)
    preferential treatment for DLC

The problem here is that it would never have been assumed that Sony would have made the architectural choices they have for the PS4. While there is no doubt that MS will put some serious coin back into their online infrastructure for the next console, all of the other advantages that the Xbox name is synonymous for have been Day 0'ed by the Playstation Meeting.

Then, Sony took the step of getting all 'Meta' with the PS4 and also designed into it some systems to overcome the shortcomings that gamers have just had to accept with the move to disc-based massive games. They are addressing load times, background patching and even game pauses/save states as it seems. All the while, making the system far better suited for the kind of multifunctionality that next-gen gaming will no doubt demand and XBox 720 will certainly underline with its non-gaming features.

It all begs the question. What is the Xbox 720 going to do to differentiate itself to the core gamer? We've seen that having uberrific specs doesn't equate a victory with the PS2 and the Wii. So, whatever the feather is in MSes cap, we're going to find out on the 21st, but I am skeptical that it has anything to do with gaming at all. The PS4 has addressed every single disadvantage that the Playstation 3 has had this generation and then some. In the year 2013, we're not talking about a Playstation 3 that is floundering or languishing, either but is the biggest selling console on planet earth.

It is, to this degree, my interest is piqued with the new XBox. It's not so much that I am betting on it being real head-to-head competition with the PS4 this time around. It's honestly the fact that I can't point at a thing not being addressed by the PS4 that isn't wonderful for me as a gamer and how it might just be possible that a company full of smarties like MS have thought of something that I haven't. If they are betting the farm on IPTV/cable box functionality, then I think they took the same bait Nintendo did (hook, line and sinker) and are betting against the core gamer for victory. Those people don't early adopt for anything that isn't a $200 knee-jerk purchase. However, there's always the possiblity that a true gamer-centric innovation could be made. It would be a spectacle.
    The Xbox 3 just needs to do more of the same as the 360. Stellar games games games. They got it right with the 360, and from what have seen so far, there will be no shortage of games.

The 360 has already nailed most of our needs, so it's not like we all had to wait until this upcoming gen to get all these new features. We already had most of them and the games.

The games will be number one. At least for me. Seems like owning both consoles is a must for me again.

3. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Seems like owning both consoles is a must for me again.
    You will have to pardon my asking, but how do you know the Loop will have games games games and be a must-have? Almost everything about its software development is under lock and key for the moment. It also must be said, any and all leverage they had to take franchises away from the Playstation was lost during the current gen. Although, the names are important (Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, yes those are big hitters to MSes credit), the Playstation almost did as big a number on the Xbox (Elder Scrolls, Ninja Gaiden... Mass Effect).

Again, I'm always up for a surprise and I haven't 100% written off the Loop as of yet, but just going off of the track record of the 360 these past few years the Xbox brand is seemingly running on fumes. I'm curious as to what you see as 'must-have' about Loop at this juncture. It's a curious assertion.

Enlighten me. What am I missing?

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    You will have to pardon my asking, but how do you know the Loop will have games games games and be a must-have? Almost everything about its software development is under lock and key for the moment. It also must be said, any and all leverage they had to take franchises away from the Playstation was lost during the current gen. Although, the names are important (Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, yes those are big hitters to MSes credit), the Playstation almost did as big a number on the Xbox (Elder Scrolls, Ninja Gaiden... Mass Effect).

Again, I'm always up for a surprise and I haven't 100% written off the Loop as of yet, but just going off of the track record of the 360 these past few years the Xbox brand is seemingly running on fumes. I'm curious as to what you see as 'must-have' about Loop at this juncture. It's a curious assertion.

Running on fumes? The consoles stats says the opposite.

Forum Overseer
    The Xbox 3 just needs to do more of the same as the 360. Stellar games games games. They got it right with the 360, and from what have seen so far, there will be no shortage of games.

The 360 has already nailed most of our needs, so it's not like we all had to wait until this upcoming gen to get all these new features. We already had most of them and the games.

The games will be number one. At least for me. Seems like owning both consoles is a must for me again.
    Yea you better be buying both again if you want a lot of games

Soldier 95B

With the rumors of the new games coming out this gen, the hardware rumors, the media rumors (it's all we have is rumors), the Xbox 3 is looking to excite us all once again.

Assuming its anything like the Xbox 360, especially the past few years with the onslaught of all these great games, they just need to keep bringing it.

Obviously we have found that the Xbox can do games, so no question we will have that with Xbox 3. But to add to the games, I am hoping for additional gaming related Xbox Live features. Day one digital download release, higher friends list count, support for more players online, cross platform play improvements, enhanced cloud features, customizing of the on screen alerts, improved achievement system, background updates, improved visibility of its superior XBLIG games, and more consistent support (and larger) for parties.

They just need to capitalize on what got them ahead today and that is not to fix what isn't broke, just evolve everything they have done right for us.

8. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yea you better be buying both again if you want a lot of games
    I agree. The stellar library of the current Xbox as well as the stellar library of the PS3 keeps me still wanting more.

Elite Sage
    I agree. The stellar library of the current Xbox as well as the stellar library of the PS3 keeps me still wanting more.
    lol...touche.

Forum Overseer
    mhmm

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    mhmm
    I'm buying a 360 for Gears of war judgement. I don't need anything else announced. I have faith that something else AAA will come this year. If not, I'll pretend it's there anyways.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 05-11-2013 at 18:17.

Soldier 95B
    mhmm
    Did we miss something?

Forum Overseer
    Did we miss something?
    Yes, like 3 pages of argument coming up ahead. Too bad I have a life now :/

So yes, I agree with you completely and we're not missing anything <(=^_^=)> *hugs*

Soldier 95B
    Yes, like 3 pages of argument coming up ahead. Too bad I have a life now :/

So yes, I agree with you completely and we're not missing anything <(=^_^=)> *hugs*
    Perfect

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    PS4 for me after the disappointed of the 360 theres no way in hell im getting the 720.
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 05-13-2013 at 16:18.
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Master Sage
    I am hoping for additional gaming related Xbox Live features. Day one digital download release, higher friends list count, support for more players online, cross platform play improvements, enhanced cloud features, customizing of the on screen alerts, improved achievement system, background updates, improved visibility of its superior XBLIG games, and more consistent support (and larger) for parties.
    I think most of that is expected and I believe Lefein was referring to the unexpected.
    Me i like the crazy extra features like splitscreen knowing where you are sitting.
    While simple, i see it as an unexpected feature.

Will be interesting how MS can upstage Sony, i'm looking forward to seeing what crazy things they have thought up.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAZZMAZZ View Post
    PS4 for me after the disappointed of the 360 theres no way in hell im getting the 720.
    Clearly a late adopter.

I don't blame people who bought consoles late in the generation, that is their want.
    But at the beginning of this current gen, the 360 was a very desirable machine.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Clearly a late adopter.

I don't blame people who bought consoles late in the generation, that is their want.
    And it still is. I didn't get mine until 2008 and i'm glad i did. I think the 720 is going to be so much better.

Forum Sage
    Clearly a late adopter.

Funny thing, you could say the same thing for the PS3 if you bought one in the first few years. (pre slim)

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Funny thing, you could say the same thing for the PS3 if you bought one in the first few years. (pre slim)
    Are you saying the Ps3 was desirable in the first few years?

Forum Sage
    Are you saying the Ps3 was desirable in the first few years?
    Wasn't.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Wasn't.
    Oh, yes, it took a while to get its groove on.

Forum Overseer
    That's precisely related.

Soldier 95B
    Each console has had their crap years. Last year the PS3 was a snoozefest. The 360 was rockin. This year the PS3 is rockin and the 360 is snoozing.

Master Sage
    Each console has had their crap years. Last year the PS3 was a snoozefest. The 360 was rockin. This year the PS3 is rockin and the 360 is snoozing.
    Starhawk was such a letdown

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Starhawk was such a letdown
    Warhawk is still awesome though. I still want a Warhawk 2.

Thread Information