Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ^Cant recall who said it here. Def remember seeing it on another forum tho. I get stuff crossed up at times when it comes to next gen going from site to site.

@those wanting more power

You can only do so much in a 200watt console and not break the bank.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 04-09-2013 at 23:28.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Its actually probably the opposite of brute force, its elegantly simple, but fast, in its design.

If the PS3 was Brick from Borderlands.
    This would be Lilith.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    30fps is barely noticeable (to me) for games that have eye candy and are fairly slow paced.

I mean, I notice it...I should say, they don't bother me. Something like GT that requires precision or a fighting game, definitely can't do without 60fps...i also prefer shooters to be 60fps. BF3 bothers me at 30fps.
    Battlefield is one game that just doesn't feel right at 30fps

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its actually probably the opposite of brute force, its elegantly simple, but fast, in its design.

If the PS3 was Brick from Borderlands.
    This would be Lilith.
    please tell me that you have this for PC and are willing to do some BL2 with me and my buds?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    please tell me that you have this for PC and are willing to do some BL2 with me and my buds?
    Sorry bud, have both BL1 and 2, but 360.

And the only thing I have to do in BL1 is crawmerax .

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Battlefield is one game that just doesn't feel right at 30fps
    It's one game where I'd rather they went with higher frame rate even though that would water down the game by a lot because it already barely plays the game at decent details...I can imagine it being downgraded quite a bit.

I'd be happy with at least 40-45fps...but 30 or less at times is just horrible...especially for a slow shooter like this one.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    It's one game where I'd rather they went with higher frame rate even though that would water down the game by a lot because it already barely plays the game at decent details...I can imagine it being downgraded quite a bit.

I'd be happy with at least 40-45fps...but 30 or less at times is just horrible...especially for a slow shooter like this one.
    Seeing that Call of Duty was running at 45 fps at times on the PS3, I would probably survive with that framerate for FPS games, my main issue with 30 fps of FPS games is that there are always points when the framerate tends to drop below that, if they can do a FPS and keep it solid at 30 fps then I would probably be ok with that, just kills me now when I am in the middle of action and the game slows down because of too much going onscreen or from badly optimized code!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Seeing that Call of Duty was running at 45 fps at times on the PS3, I would probably survive with that framerate for FPS games, my main issue with 30 fps of FPS games is that there are always points when the framerate tends to drop below that, if they can do a FPS and keep it solid at 30 fps then I would probably be ok with that, just kills me now when I am in the middle of action and the game slows down because of too much going onscreen or from badly optimized code!
    I totally agree. That's my issue too. Also it really hinders your skills at times...I feel like I'm a lot more reactive in 60fps games and feel cumbered by 30fps ones.

BF3 stays 30fps for the most part but it may be a combination of its slow paced gameplay that really hinders your enjoyment at a low frame rate.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I totally agree. That's my issue too. Also it really hinders your skills at times...I feel like I'm a lot more reactive in 60fps games and feel cumbered by 30fps ones.

BF3 stays 30fps for the most part but it may be a combination of its slow paced gameplay that really hinders your enjoyment at a low frame rate.
    ?? Why would slow paced gameplay be hindered by 30fps? The developers of the latest Thief game said that the game is 30fps because its slow paced, so that frame rate will be just fine.
    I was always under impression that fast paced gameplay can be hindered by 30fps, but for slow paced games like BF3 and Thief its just fine.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    ?? Why would slow paced gameplay be hindered by 30fps? The developers of the latest Thief game said that the game is 30fps because its slow paced, so that frame rate will be just fine.
    I was always under impression that fast paced gameplay can be hindered by 30fps, but for slow paced games like BF3 and Thief its just fine.
    You're totally right. I think I meant to say that there is enough input lag in the game that 30fps hinders the experience even more. To the point where I don't like the series anymore and I want someone else to tackle this war sim thing better.

I love how smooth COD is compared to BF3 even if watered down in a lot of gameplay aspects.

Apprentice
    BF3 is 30fps I think, that game runs perfectly fine. I understand that there are people that like 60fps, I'm one of them, but 30fps is still very playable and it shouldn't take anything away from the game. I feel sorry for those people that get taken away from the game because of 30fps.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    BF3 is 30fps I think, that game runs perfectly fine. I understand that there are people that like 60fps, I'm one of them, but 30fps is still very playable and it shouldn't take anything away from the game. I feel sorry for those people that get taken away from the game because of 30fps.
    True but the game has a lot of input lag...they fixed a lot of it but it's still there.

Apprentice
    True but the game has a lot of input lag...they fixed a lot of it but it's still there.
    the input lag doesn't have anything to do with the 30fps at all. It has to do with how they set it. Bioshock infinite has small input lag on that game as well. This still doesn't fall under frames per second. If the frames per second is really bad, like 15 or so constantly, then yes, there will be a lagged delay in the controls to what's on the TV. The BF3 problem was the AA crap they had on it, that is why they put the option to turn it off. When turning it off it erased the input delay completely. 30fps doesn't really create a noticeable input delay, but 15fps does and the farther down you go the worse it gets. The delay in most games that have delay is either because the fps is super low, like 15 or 10fps, AA or the controls were put together poorly. poorly is almost always the case. Killzone was proof of poorly done controls, that had nothing to do with 30fps. haha

Forum Overseer
    the input lag doesn't have anything to do with the 30fps at all. It has to do with how they set it. Bioshock infinite has small input lag on that game as well. This still doesn't fall under frames per second. If the frames per second is really bad, like 15 or so constantly, then yes, there will be a lagged delay in the controls to what's on the TV. The BF3 problem was the AA crap they had on it, that is why they put the option to turn it off. When turning it off it erased the input delay completely. 30fps doesn't really create a noticeable input delay, but 15fps does and the farther down you go the worse it gets. The delay in most games that have delay is either because the fps is super low, like 15 or 10fps, AA or the controls were put together poorly. poorly is almost always the case. Killzone was proof of poorly done controls, that had nothing to do with 30fps. haha
    yea i see what you mean. it's probably not.

all i know is that there definitely was input lag and then they tried to fix it and while it felt better, I'm not sure if it's the way they designed the game or if it's the frame rate that drops but there are times when it doesn't respond well to what you want it to do.

i'm thinking it's the frame rate drop combined with the slow gameplay. SOCOM was 30fps too and usually dropped a lot but i never felt any issues with that so it's either the left over input lag, gameplay and least likely the frame rate drop (as SOCOM never had that issue with generally lower fps than BF3).

in no way i'm saying 30fps is bad, i meant the whole combination with the 30fps is bad. i did notice the controls becoming more responsive when they gave the option to turn off AA...never did i once turn that on afterwards...and i prefer it off anyway, too blurry otherwise.

so i'm thinking it was a combination of fps and gameplay or input lag ...and maybe the input lag only occurred due to the graphics...maybe they process it in some way (v-sync right?) that slows down your input. i think the problem would be resolved if they had a higher frame rate which they couldn't do so they just removed AA to help a little. I remember removal of AA made the most difference.

All i's sayin is that I have yet to see a 60fps with input lag.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-10-2013 at 19:54.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam

Play BF3 on PC at 60 fps and then tell me you don't feel the difference in control response

And yes 30 fps is "fine", but you can indeed feel the difference in response time from 30 to 60 fps. Luckily BF3 style game play isn't very twitch oriented.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its a post process I think. So its added after the frame is drawn and if the hardware isnt fast enough it adds a tiny wee bit of lag?
    My best guess.

Simply capping framerate at 25 or 30 shouldnt add any real noticable input lag It would think at lest not as much as vsync does at 60Hz.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-10-2013 at 20:17.

Forum Overseer
    Yes, what the two posters above said!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Play BF3 on PC at 60 fps and then tell me you don't feel the difference in control response

And yes 30 fps is "fine", but you can indeed feel the difference in response time from 30 to 60 fps. Luckily BF3 style game play isn't very twitch oriented.
    It's certainly not so much response time as it's the frames being more smoothed out.

Forum Overseer
    Right, which results in the response time being low.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    It's certainly not so much response time as it's the frames being more smoothed out.
    Any input you put in with a controller cannot begin to reflect on screen till the next frame
    Frame rate does indeed influence response time.

21. Likes Shibby likes this post

Thread Information