Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I know MANY Brits. I routinely follow British news and spend a lot of time on British websites.

One thing I have noticed is that the vast majority of people celebrating Maggie's death are people who weren't even alive when she was in office, and of the people who were, when you try to pin them down on exactly why they didn't like her it usually boils down to "I or someone in my family lost a job and then blame her for it".

The truth is she saved the UK from a financial collapse. In the 1970s the UK was just about bankrupt, mired in debt, double digit inflation, and ludicrous demands from labour unions. Before Maggie, Heath was forced to declare a state of emergency 5 separate times during his turn as PM, the most of any British PM in peacetime.

Maggie straightened the problems out. Yes, that meant that some people who had plush little positions in way too powerful unions lost their jobs. Yes, that meant that the average person was expected to care for themselves more, and rely on government handouts less. But, she took an economy that was on the verge of implosion and turned it into an economy which boomed and rapidly expanded for the next 15 years until the Labour Party ruined it again.

Those celebrating the death of Margaret Thatcher deserve to be left with an Edward Heath economy.
    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle34539.htm

That's what type of woman she was a vile creature who was very close to many other vile humans like the above and Pinochet plus supplied Hussain with weapons in 1981.

The Falklands she sunk a retreating ship the belgrano which was outside of the exclusion zone and murdered 323 people. She was a war criminal...Fact.

And saying that because I was only 1-2 when she was in power is completely irrelivent. It's like saying you shouldn't hate hitler and what he did unless you was in the war ffs
    Last edited by Danny2304; 04-09-2013 at 23:49.

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ..Really. You're mad at her for sinking a retreating enemy vessel outside of an arbitrary no-fire line?

Just going to point this out, Churchill was a war criminal. So was FDR. By your (inane) standards both were due to actions perpetrated by our respective militaries during WW2 in order to defeat the Axis powers.

Look, as much as I dislike politicians there are often tough choices that need to be made.

I'm not British, nor was I alive during her tenure. But from what I do know about her, I'm finding it hard to justify this outburst of celebration at her death.

I can think of other politicians far more deserving of this.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 04-10-2013 at 00:18.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    This is something I got into last night on Facebook; while our generation might not have been alive to directly be affected by her decisions in office, the fact remains that some of our families were, and still are, suffering because of the choices she made. I really don't get the idea where people think she was a great prime minister from. In my opinion, she did nothing but truly $#@! this country over.
    Yeah you're right. However, I think some people of our generation aren't fully educated about what she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    most of the people north of the midlands who were there when she stepped down were celebrating. me included.

I can still remember where I was, and what I was doing when I found out, and I can remember it like it was yesterday when everyone was cheering.

I was at college at the time, and one of my friends came in and told everyone she had jumped before she could be pushed.

no one believed it at first, but someone brought a radio in and turned it on. practically every local radio was running the story, and everyone in the building was cheering about it.

the feelgood factor fooled everyone into thinking labour were a shoe-in for the '92 general election.

it all depends on what side of the divide you were on when she was in power. if you were one of the rich that got richer, you are understandably going to feel some sadness.

however, if like me, you witnessed first hand what she did, and how it crippled a lot of people less well off, you're not going to be so supportive.

I'm not saying she didn't do some good, but from my viewpoint, the bad far outweighs the good.

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when whole communities were consigned to the scrap pile when she crushed the mining & shipping industries, leaving in its wake promises of alternative training & employment that were left unfulfilled.

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when the country was taken to war for political reasons

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when 96 innocent people lost their lives and the subsequent cover up still leaves many none the wiser as to what actually happened.

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when funding to public schools was slashed, forcing many kids to make do with what they had (I know this because I experienced it)

this is the woman who openly supported a dictator who was wanted in his own country for killing thousands, and torturing many more people, including women & children.

as far as this particular witness to what she did is concerned, a tear won't be shed, and a $#@! won't be given.

oh, and...

section 28
    Yeah i'm sure they were but that was the only time to celebrate.

Everything you've said is what she did as a politician. But she died as a person and any death should not be celebrated, no matter what they have done.

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    Yeah you're right. However, I think some people of our generation aren't fully educated about what she did.

Yeah i'm sure they were but that was the only time to celebrate.

Everything you've said is what she did as a politician. But she died as a person and any death should not be celebrated, no matter what they have done.
    everything she did as a politician negatively impacted lives of the poorest and most vulnerable. people today are still being affected by her legacy. in shutting down industries, such as coal & steel production that were built around communities, she effectively kick-started the shambles that is today's welfare system.

she got the ball rolling, and subsequent administrations have failed to reign it in, each one leaving it deeper in the mire than the previous. now the whole system is in such disarray, the people who are most reliant on benefits and have a genuine reason for claiming them are being forced off them in droves. even the people that are sick and vulnerable are being told they no longer qualify and are being made to search for jobs that are not there

while I'm not necessarily condoning the celebrations, I won't be celebrating a life that caused so much suffering to the poorer classes. I just have no compassion for the woman, compassion for her loved ones maybe for the loss of a relative, but for the woman herself, absolutely not.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    everything she did as a politician negatively impacted lives of the poorest and most vulnerable. people today are still being affected by her legacy. in shutting down industries, such as coal & steel production that were built around communities, she effectively kick-started the shambles that is today's welfare system.

she got the ball rolling, and subsequent administrations have failed to reign it in, each one leaving it deeper in the mire than the previous. now the whole system is in such disarray, the people who are most reliant on benefits and have a genuine reason for claiming them are being forced off them in droves. even the people that are sick and vulnerable are being told they no longer qualify and are being made to search for jobs that are not there

while I'm not necessarily condoning the celebrations, I won't be celebrating a life that caused so much suffering to the poorer classes. I just have no compassion for the woman, compassion for her loved ones maybe for the loss of a relative, but for the woman herself, absolutely not.
    I'm not sure what your point is unless you are just venting.

I'm not here to dispute whether what she did was good or bad. I'm here to merely argue that it is never right to celebrate someone's death.

My first PSU article!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    ^^ i agree. I have just seen a news item with crowds celebrating her death, and whilst i understand the anger, its just not right celebrating her death..pretty $#@!in disgusting actually..and before anyone says `did your family suffer under her?` yes, yes they did..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    ^^ i agree. I have just seen a news item with crowds celebrating her death, and whilst i understand the anger, its just not right celebrating her death..pretty $#@!in disgusting actually..and before anyone says `did your family suffer under her?` yes, yes they did..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Yes exactly. I think it's absolutely disgusting.

And yeah my family suffered under her too.

My first PSU article!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    my grandad was affected, he was happiest when she left parliament. not that he cares much for such topics but he's indifferent about her death, as am I.

she did what she thought was best given her position at the time. after that, she lived as a regular human being.

celebrating the death of a person who hasn't technically wronged you in any way is just sad o_O
    she may have sparked controversy with her decisions, but if she wasn't as steadfast as she was and loyal to the british people your asses would be helping fund greese and italy.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I know MANY Brits. I routinely follow British news and spend a lot of time on British websites.

One thing I have noticed is that the vast majority of people celebrating Maggie's death are people who weren't even alive when she was in office, and of the people who were, when you try to pin them down on exactly why they didn't like her it usually boils down to "I or someone in my family lost a job and then blame her for it".

The truth is she saved the UK from a financial collapse. In the 1970s the UK was just about bankrupt, mired in debt, double digit inflation, and ludicrous demands from labour unions. Before Maggie, Heath was forced to declare a state of emergency 5 separate times during his turn as PM, the most of any British PM in peacetime.

Maggie straightened the problems out. Yes, that meant that some people who had plush little positions in way too powerful unions lost their jobs. Yes, that meant that the average person was expected to care for themselves more, and rely on government handouts less. But, she took an economy that was on the verge of implosion and turned it into an economy which boomed and rapidly expanded for the next 15 years until the Labour Party ruined it again.

Those celebrating the death of Margaret Thatcher deserve to be left with an Edward Heath economy.
    erm no that would have been The North Sea Oil pipeline which came online & kick started the UK Economy.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    I was reading on Sky news that there is supposed to be a huge "death party" held in Trafalgar Square on Saturday to celebrate her death. Be interesting to see if this actually goes down and if it does, will rioting start again.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by THUGGEDOUT View Post
    I was reading on Sky news that there is supposed to be a huge "death party" held in Trafalgar Square on Saturday to celebrate her death. Be interesting to see if this actually goes down and if it does, will rioting start again.

Tap-a-hoe
    i hope thats a lie....

if you aren't of age, and attend this party, i hope for many random pianos to fall from the sky

if a bunch of oldies group together then im sweet with that. they, unlike our misguided idiot peers, were alive to bare witness to the woman they detest.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i hope thats a lie....

if you aren't of age, and attend this party, i hope for many random pianos to fall from the sky

if a bunch of oldies group together then im sweet with that. they, unlike our misguided idiot peers, were alive to bare witness to the woman they detest.
    Anarchists no matter what age, will use this an excuse to go out and cause trouble, hope 5-0 is ready.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    If the right wing bigots get their way and she gets a statue at Trafalgar square I'll be going myself to help tear it down

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    If the right wing bigots get their way and she gets a statue at Trafalgar square I'll be going myself to help tear it down
    Be sure to wear a Frank The Bunny outfit while you're doing it!

Tap-a-hoe

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I really do hope the karma comes back to the $#@!wits who celebrate her death...tenfold.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    All this celebrating remided me of this

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danny2304 View Post
    http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle34539.htm

That's what type of woman she was a vile creature who was very close to many other vile humans like the above and Pinochet plus supplied Hussain with weapons in 1981.
    This is the best you can come up with? That in the 1980s she did the same thing that about 85% of the other countries on earth did?

Would you like some more straws to grasp at?

And in the Falklands she didn't sink anything. She was thousands of miles away from the war.

But since you brought it up, I feel compelled to give you a bit of a historical education here.

The Belgrano, as well as other Argentine naval ships, was ordered to attack the Falklands. That order was intercepted by British and American intelligence. While it was outside of the exclusion zone, it was headed south towards the exclusion zone with clear orders to attack the islands.

So, now I will ask what you would have done? Let the Belgrano attack and kill British forces? Is that your idea of being a good leader?

Personally, I would call that an act of a traitor.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    erm no that would have been The North Sea Oil pipeline which came online & kick started the UK Economy.
    Err, no. While the North Sea Oil helped Thatcher, it was FAR from the sole reason for the economic turnaround. Not even remotely close.

And you seem to forget it was Thatcher herself that pushed for North Sea Oil development. Prior to Thatcher the UK was a net importer of oil, and today the UK is again a net importer of oil. Do you think it's just a coincedence that the UK was a net importer of oil when Labour ruled (Both before and after Thatcher), but was a net exporter under Thatcher.

Let me ask you something here....

What condition was the UK economy in the year before Thatcher became PM?
    What was the condition of the UK economy in 2009?
    What political party was in control for the entire decade before both of those dates?
    Last edited by Completely Average; 04-12-2013 at 17:35.

Dedicated Member

Never agreed with much of what she did, but she had more balls than any of the Prime Ministers that have come and gone since she was ousted. The "leaders" we have now are a bunch of pansies in comparison to her.

And she hated scousers, so I admired her for that.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I will say this, that women had conviction and a bag of huge balls...there's no politician who did $#@! with such attitude...

Thread Information