Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Former British Prime Minister Margret Thatcher Dies.

Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died "peacefully" at the age of 87 after suffering a stroke while staying at the Ritz hotel in central London.
    David Cameron called her a "great Briton" and the Queen spoke of her sadness at the death.
    Lady Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990. She was the first woman to hold the role.
    She will not have a state funeral but will be accorded the same status as Princess Diana and the Queen Mother.
    The ceremony, with full military honours, will take place at London's St Paul's Cathedral.
    The union jack above Number 10 Downing Street has been lowered to half-mast.
    Full story at Sauce
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Just watched the BBC special where an Ex Miner basically said they where very happy with the News that she has Died.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    Just watched the BBC special where an Ex Miner basically said they where very happy with the News that she has Died.
    You sound shocked? She $#@!ed the miners royally and didn't even use any lube.

From what I know, she was a nasty piece of work

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    What does her death change though ? Absolutely nothing. Celebration of death is weird. No matter who it is and what they did.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    You sound shocked? She $#@!ed the miners royally and didn't even use any lube.

From what I know, she was a nasty piece of work
    oh I know but just didn't expect him to rant the way he did

But im sure They are Absolutly Devastated with The news up in Scotland :P

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    What does her death change though ? Absolutely nothing. Celebration of death is weird. No matter who it is and what they did.
    I'm not saying you should celebrate anyones death. But I also don't think that just because someone has died it means you are exempt about talking bad about them.

7. Likes Jaeger likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The unions had way too much power, they essentially held the country to ransome in the 70s, there were power shortages after a certain time of night also 3 day week to conserve electricity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_mine...ike_%281974%29

If it wasnt for Magggie we would have the Euro and be in $#@! state like much of Europe is with a failing currency.
    Also when she came to office the armed forces got a pay rise.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-08-2013 at 18:23.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    She might have been an awful leader... But it leaves a family with out a relative
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    She was essentially Britain's very own George W Bush. She will not be missed, much like how George W won't be missed when he is gone. They $#@!ed entirely far too many people over in their lifetime to get a fair shake in death.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    She was essentially Britain's very own George W Bush. She will not be missed, much like how George W won't be missed when he is gone. They $#@!ed entirely far too many people over in their lifetime to get a fair shake in death.
    Hmm:

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpu...px?oItemId=661

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    More like Britains Reagan.

Dedicated Member

Thatcher may have made some mistakes, but she did a lot of good too and was a good leader in my opinion. And, she had balls - more balls than any of our politicians today, that do U-turns when things get tough and always try to say the 'right' thing.

As for the unions, they should exist to improve the working conditions of their workers, not for holding the country to ransom. She did well to break them.

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    $#@! Thatcher Glad we exosed the lies before she died.

JFT96 may she rot in hell

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

15. Likes Jaeger likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny2304 View Post
    $#@! Thatcher Glad we exosed the lies before she died.

JFT96 may she rot in hell
    half of hell has already been shut down.
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

17. Likes John25 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Told you those Scots would be Devastated about the news of Thatchers death :P

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tion-left.html

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    R.I.P. Margaret Thatcher, who's final wish was to be cremated but we've got no coal left.

Tap-a-hoe

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

20. Likes neoxthexone likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    Exactly. All these people should have celebrated when she stepped down as prime minister.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    The unions had way too much power, they essentially held the country to ransome in the 70s, there were power shortages after a certain time of night also 3 day week to conserve electricity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_mine...ike_%281974%29

If it wasnt for Magggie we would have the Euro and be in $#@! state like much of Europe is with a failing currency.
    Also when she came to office the armed forces got a pay rise.
    Yeah she did some good! But people tend to forget about that, especially what she did with the Euro...

I don't think it's right that people are out in the street celebrating her death. To me, that is just sick.

What's worst is that half my Facebook is celebrating her death and they weren't even alive when she was in office.

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    What's worst is that half my Facebook is celebrating her death and they weren't even alive when she was in office.
    This is something I got into last night on Facebook; while our generation might not have been alive to directly be affected by her decisions in office, the fact remains that some of our families were, and still are, suffering because of the choices she made. I really don't get the idea where people think she was a great prime minister from. In my opinion, she did nothing but truly $#@! this country over.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    Exactly. All these people should have celebrated when she stepped down as prime minister.

Yeah she did some good! But people tend to forget about that, especially what she did with the Euro...

I don't think it's right that people are out in the street celebrating her death. To me, that is just sick.

most of the people north of the midlands who were there when she stepped down were celebrating. me included.

I can still remember where I was, and what I was doing when I found out, and I can remember it like it was yesterday when everyone was cheering.

I was at college at the time, and one of my friends came in and told everyone she had jumped before she could be pushed.

no one believed it at first, but someone brought a radio in and turned it on. practically every local radio was running the story, and everyone in the building was cheering about it.

the feelgood factor fooled everyone into thinking labour were a shoe-in for the '92 general election.

it all depends on what side of the divide you were on when she was in power. if you were one of the rich that got richer, you are understandably going to feel some sadness.

however, if like me, you witnessed first hand what she did, and how it crippled a lot of people less well off, you're not going to be so supportive.

I'm not saying she didn't do some good, but from my viewpoint, the bad far outweighs the good.

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when whole communities were consigned to the scrap pile when she crushed the mining & shipping industries, leaving in its wake promises of alternative training & employment that were left unfulfilled.

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when the country was taken to war for political reasons

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when 96 innocent people lost their lives and the subsequent cover up still leaves many none the wiser as to what actually happened.

this is the woman that was sat at the top of the tree when funding to public schools was slashed, forcing many kids to make do with what they had (I know this because I experienced it)

this is the woman who openly supported a dictator who was wanted in his own country for killing thousands, and torturing many more people, including women & children.

as far as this particular witness to what she did is concerned, a tear won't be shed, and a $#@! won't be given.

oh, and...

section 28
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

24. Likes John25 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Funny how the "personal" accounts in this thread don't seem to match up with the view of historians.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    She is dead and life goes on.... Why actually give a $#@!

Humans die all the time... So
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Sorry for her family, but may she rot in hell.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    She is dead and life goes on.... Why actually give a $#@!

Humans die all the time... So
    Do you feel the same way about Osama Bin Laden?

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Funny how the "personal" accounts in this thread don't seem to match up with the view of historians.

I know MANY Brits. I routinely follow British news and spend a lot of time on British websites.

One thing I have noticed is that the vast majority of people celebrating Maggie's death are people who weren't even alive when she was in office, and of the people who were, when you try to pin them down on exactly why they didn't like her it usually boils down to "I or someone in my family lost a job and then blame her for it".

The truth is she saved the UK from a financial collapse. In the 1970s the UK was just about bankrupt, mired in debt, double digit inflation, and ludicrous demands from labour unions. Before Maggie, Heath was forced to declare a state of emergency 5 separate times during his turn as PM, the most of any British PM in peacetime.

Maggie straightened the problems out. Yes, that meant that some people who had plush little positions in way too powerful unions lost their jobs. Yes, that meant that the average person was expected to care for themselves more, and rely on government handouts less. But, she took an economy that was on the verge of implosion and turned it into an economy which boomed and rapidly expanded for the next 15 years until the Labour Party ruined it again.

Those celebrating the death of Margaret Thatcher deserve to be left with an Edward Heath economy.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Whilst she isn't quite the devil that some paint her to be, the hate and vitriol is very much deserved in most cases. Yes, she was right about the Falklands and I applaud her for that, indeed her foreign policy was generally bang on and not as spineless as our pathetic leaders today are. Although she did ardently support Apartheid in south africa and called the ANC terrorists, so...

The unions did have too much power. She beat them. Could it have been handled better? You bet. But she got the job done and it's true that at the time Britain was at the mercy of these unions.

However, she was also the most socially destructive prime minister in modern history. Her contempt for the working class was and is an embarrassment, describing her own citizens as "the enemy within". She ripped the heart out of so many communities and things will never be the same again. So many of our countries economic and social problems lay directly at her feet, we are still suffering from her time in office. Social inequality increased by an order of magnitude when she was in power, she made the rich richer, the poor poorer. VAT rises, public transport fares going through the roof, food becoming prohibitively expensive and the private sector holding far too much power (and money) that didn't belong to them, crippling those at the bottom of the pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I know MANY Brits. I routinely follow British news and spend a lot of time on British websites.
    Which still leaves you with close to no insight whatsoever
    Last edited by Cyn; 04-09-2013 at 22:49.

31. Likes John25 likes this post

Thread Information