Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

PS4 system memory ring-fenced : Just Add Water's CEO Stewart Gilray

Third-party developers were not aware that PlayStation 4 would include 8GB of GDDR5 RAM until Sony's reveal event in February - despite having received development kits long before the console's announcement.

Speaking with VideoGamer.com, Just Add Water's CEO Stewart Gilray - who is developing a mystery title for PlayStation 4 - revealed that third-parties were initially told that the console would feature only 4GB of RAM, and were left happily surprised when the system's lead architect Mark Cerny discussed the console's specs on stage.

"We were told [PS4] was 4GB originally," Gilray told us, "and we first knew it had 8GBs when Mark said at the event's stage, 'And it has 8GB of memory.' We'd had kits at that point for a good while."

Gilray suspects that only "a couple of really close first-parties" knew PS4 would feature 8GB prior to the console's announcement, "but I think most third-parties, if not all third-parties were like, 'Yeah, 4GB, awesome, can't wait.'

"It's a fantastic amount of memory," he continues, "especially DDR5 memory(sic), because it's so fast you don't have to have everything there at once. You can swap it in and out instantly, effectively. But when they said 8GB it was like, 'Ooookay.'"

Leaked systems specs for PlayStation 4 - back when it was still going under its codename 'PlayStation Orbis' - also suggested that the console would only include 4GB of RAM.

An "added bonus" of PS4's memory is that Sony has "already ring-fenced the system memory away from the game memory," Gilray adds, "so there's none of this business that we had with PS3 of having to share memories.

"When you press the PlayStation button on a PS3 game, you get the basic XMB up [but] to do anything you have to quit the game, because of the memory for it. With PS4 we don't have that because the system memory is already ring-fenced for itself."

Gilray's comments suggest that third-party developers could have been developing PS4 games targeting lower system requirements than the console's actual capability - which could go some way to explaining the suspected 30fps cap on the Unreal Engine 3-powered Thief.

PlayStation 4 is expected to launch worldwide later this year.

Source: VideoGamer.com Interview
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4s_...le_reveal.html

Could this mean FULL 8gb GDDR5 for games only?
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4s_...le_reveal.html

Could this mean FULL 8gb GDDR5 for games only?
    this was posted before. 8 GBs unified system memory. not all 8 GB's will be utilized for games. search the forums, theres already a thread about this.

Tacos Rule!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4s_...le_reveal.html Could this mean FULL 8gb GDDR5 for games only?
    Nope. Just means a pool of that memory is separate and allocated to the system only while the rest is also separate and allocated solely to the games rather than just sharing the memory pool.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    It's pretty funny the reveal was for the devs as well. Lol.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I wonder how much of the ram they set aside for the OS?

Power Member
    512MB at last rumor. A reasonable amount.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    512MB at last rumor. A reasonable amount.
    i would applaud Sony if they managed to achieve all of what they say with only 512mb

Sony made the PS4 out to be a multitasking behemoth. full use of OS from wherever you are on the system, 15 min playback, instant start/resume, on the fly download and play.... if they can fit that within 512mb i'd be extremely confused and would need someone here to explain just how its happening
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Whilst it has it's critics from an aesthetic point of view, the Vita OS is pretty damn slick and does good things despite the system having 512mb ram total, not sure how much the OS itself uses though. So it doesn't surprise me that Sony has managed to achieve the things they have with 512 allocated to the OS on PS4

Compared to how much PS360 allocate for OS ram, it's a hell of a lot more so maybe we should be expecting lots of things anyway ^_^

PSU Live Streamer
    Assuming the system devotes 4gb of mem to games and 4gb of mem to everything else....then the devs that were told they had 4gbs to begin with, really were told accurately.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Assuming the system devotes 4gb of mem to games and 4gb of mem to everything else....then the devs that were told they had 4gbs to begin with, really were told accurately.
    4gb for OS? you really are in fantasyland

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Elite Guru
    DOn't worry they don't have a 4GB OS, that would just be crazy even with everything they are doing.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Could they possibly ring fence one of the 16 memory chips for os only leaving 15 x 512mb chips for Games?

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

PSU Live Streamer
    4gb for OS? you really are in fantasyland
    Everything else doesn't just mean OS. It means background downloads and updates, it means party/group chat service, it means recording gameplay, it means allowing other players to spectate your game, etc, etc..

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style

I believe it was sony that stated it was suppose to be a surprise reveal even for the devs. So in that case, they do have more to work with. I honestly can't even fathom a system by itself using a total of 4GB without games even being played or even running in the background, that doesn't sound right at all. In fact, I consider that bogus.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

PSU Live Streamer
    It very likely is bogus to be honest, I was just posing the idea of it being possible. There is going to be a cap somewhere, whether it be on the games or on what the system uses. Last thing sony will want is for a game to come out boasting that it uses all 8gb of mem and suddenly the system can't perform its own tasks with the game running. That was the reason ps3 never got a patch for party chat.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    i would applaud Sony if they managed to achieve all of what they say with only 512mb
    I would be astounded if Sony couldn't achieve everything they said with much less than 512MB.

Keep in mind that Windows 2000 ran on just 32MB of RAM. XP will run on just 64MB. 512MB for a game console OS is overkill.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I would be astounded if Sony couldn't achieve everything they said with much less than 512MB.

Keep in mind that Windows 2000 ran on just 32MB of RAM. XP will run on just 64MB. 512MB for a game console OS is overkill.
    Do you realize how ridiculous your analogy is?

Sony made the PS4 out to be a multitasking behemoth. full use of OS from wherever you are on the system, 15 min playback, instant start/resume, on the fly download and play.... if they can fit that within 512mb i'd be extremely confused and would need someone here to explain just how its happening
    Highly doubt it's full use of OS...it'll be MOST of the OS but I highly doubt that you can watch a movie while playing a game...some of it has to go and return the memory...or maybe having the ability to play movies doesn't require extra RAM (when it's not running) but will be disabled as it wouldn't make sense to play it or it just isn't feasible.

Either way I find it hard to believe that it will be exactly the same thing...like a PC OS is.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-10-2013 at 06:57.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Highly doubt it's full use of OS...it'll be MOST of the OS but I highly doubt that you can watch a movie while playing a game...some of it has to go and return the memory...or maybe having the ability to play movies doesn't require extra RAM (when it's not running) but will be disabled as it wouldn't make sense to play it or it just isn't feasible.

Either way I find it hard to believe that it will be exactly the same thing...like a PC OS is.
    i forget who said it, but one guy from sony said something like 'you can be playing a game, open up PSN, make a purchase, and then resume playing the game' thats what i was referring to with 'full OS use'

but Sony talked about the sleep function saving your game exactly where you left off. maybe it will carry over to allowing you to watch movies?

maybe it will be like the iOS, that thing saves states and such. videos play from where you left them, some app don't turn off and can be started from where you were last. the ipod does good things with its hardware and software, the PS4 is significantly better
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Come now my friend. even windows doesn't use THAT much ram wile multi-tasking. 2 gigs at the most but even that's far fetched considering PS4 is a specialized optimized server-esq beast.

Ultimate Veteran
    Could always install FreeBSD on your computer and see how much the full OS utilizes memory

Forum Overseer

i forget who said it, but one guy from sony said something like 'you can be playing a game, open up PSN, make a purchase, and then resume playing the game' thats what i was referring to with 'full OS use'

but Sony talked about the sleep function saving your game exactly where you left off. maybe it will carry over to allowing you to watch movies?

maybe it will be like the iOS, that thing saves states and such. videos play from where you left them, some app don't turn off and can be started from where you were last. the ipod does good things with its hardware and software, the PS4 is significantly better
    Hmm good point but the issue with all these approaches are that you will likely need more RAM reserved for additional features such as movie-watching. I think they'd rather save that RAM and have it used for games/apps rather than reserve it up...in the end, who is really going to be watching a movie while playing a game? I didn't do that on PC lol...I might surf something and watch a youtube video on the side (especially a song) but even on PC I wouldn't do it.

It would be a waste of RAM if they allowed the entire OS. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Could always install FreeBSD on your computer and see how much the full OS utilizes memory
    There are some linux OS that take less than 40MB. And they run quite well within 100MB of RAM as long as you're not turning on firefox.

Elite Member

Do you realize how ridiculous your analogy is?
    Do you realize how accurate my analogy is?

What can Windows XP not do? It's written for millions of different hardware configurations, to support tens of thousands of different add on devices, and can do EVERYTHING the PS4 can do.

The PS4 is a console. Single hardware configuration, limited add-ons, very limited functionality. You won't be editing spreadsheets or doing your family finances and taxes on a PS4. It's a very basic OS with a very limited number of functions that it has to perform.

Why would the PS4 need a RAM footprint that is 8 times larger than XP? I can see some additions being made to run background communications and such, but really, why would the PS4 need a memory footprint in RAM that at 512MB is 8 times larger than the much more complex Windows XP requires?

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Hmm good point but the issue with all these approaches are that you will likely need more RAM reserved for additional features such as movie-watching. I think they'd rather save that RAM and have it used for games/apps rather than reserve it up...in the end, who is really going to be watching a movie while playing a game? I didn't do that on PC lol...I might surf something and watch a youtube video on the side (especially a song) but even on PC I wouldn't do it.

It would be a waste of RAM if they allowed the entire OS. What do you think?
    i concur, im simply musing is all

Sony have some really big claims for what this console can do, and im eager to see just how its all related. the PS3 OS is around 15% of the total system RAM. i know its wrong to do so but that would be in the ballpark of 1GB on the PS4.

but an OS that does as many things as they say and has as small a footprint as rumored would be something very special indeed
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Do you realize how accurate my analogy is?

What can Windows XP not do? It's written for millions of different hardware configurations, to support tens of thousands of different add on devices, and can do EVERYTHING the PS4 can do.

The PS4 is a console. Single hardware configuration, limited add-ons, very limited functionality. You won't be editing spreadsheets or doing your family finances and taxes on a PS4. It's a very basic OS with a very limited number of functions that it has to perform.

Why would the PS4 need a RAM footprint that is 8 times larger than XP? I can see some additions being made to run background communications and such, but really, why would the PS4 need a memory footprint in RAM that at 512MB is 8 times larger than the much more complex Windows XP requires?
    smh lol i don't even know where to start. let's start with why you think the PS4 OS is going to be as basic as the XP?

dis gon b good.

how big do you think 360/PS3 OS is?

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    smh lol i don't even know where to start. let's start with why you think the PS4 OS is going to be as basic as the XP?

dis gon b good.

how big do you think 360/PS3 OS is?
    lol

Thread Information