Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Either way I don't believe one bit that the XP could run at 64MB at idle on first boot.
    It didn't, it used quite bit virtual memory on a 64MB system.. (yes, I have tried. )

When speaking of ps4 OS it is also a good to remember that there will be in-game OS and full version, which certainly will not use same amount of memory.
    In game will not have all features, but Sony did announce instant resume for games.

IMHO. the optimal method would be something like following.
    - Go to in-game OS during game.
    - Ask something that needs full OS
    - Ps4 saves game state and loads full OS.
    - Do what is needed in full OS, press resume game.
    - Ps4 changes to in-game OS mode and loads game state.

This way they can have reasonably small amount of memory used during in-game OS and Full OS + programs can pretty much all the memory system has.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

2. Likes Omar, x_terna, victorijapoosp likes this post
    Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    It didn't, it used quite bit virtual memory on a 64MB system.. (yes, I have tried. )

When speaking of ps4 OS it is also a good to remember that there will be in-game OS and full version, which certainly will not use same amount of memory.
    In game will not have all features, but Sony did announce instant resume for games.

IMHO. the optimal method would be something like following.
    - Go to in-game OS during game.
    - Ask something that needs full OS
    - Ps4 saves game state and loads full OS.
    - Do what is needed in full OS, press resume game.
    - Ps4 changes to in-game OS mode and loads game state.

This way they can have reasonably small amount of memory used during in-game OS and Full OS + programs can pretty much all the memory system has.
    With memory reserved *just* for the OS there is a possiblity that it will be it's very own always running system kernal and not just an in-game OS overlay.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    With memory reserved *just* for the OS there is a possiblity that it will be it's very own always running system kernal and not just an in-game OS overlay.
    I'm quite sure that kernel is needed to run the in-game OS overlay.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    PlayStation 4 developers have access to 7 GB RAM: rumor
    http://ps4daily.com/2013/04/playstat...pers-7-gb-ram/
    That's a little more than I would expect but future proofing is never a bad thing. No idea if ps4daily are a reputable source though

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    My guess is a small ring buffer for a compressed stream which is copied to HDD in deferred bursts. (less HDD trashing.)
    Since the HDD will be more of a limitation than the RAM wouldn't it make sense to reduce HDD traffic as much as possible?
    Last edited by Cyn; 04-12-2013 at 10:14.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Since the HDD will be more of a limitation than the RAM wouldn't it make sense to reduce HDD traffic as much as possible?
    HDD is rarely used near it's limits on consoles, also I'm sure that background downloads and such use it as well.

Controlled stream copied in deferred bursts shouldn't hit HDD that badly and this would remove limitations of video length while keeping memory consumption low.
    Another way would be to stream the video directly to PS+ cloud, no need to store much on local machine.

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    PlayStation 4 developers have access to 7 GB RAM: rumor
    http://ps4daily.com/2013/04/playstat...pers-7-gb-ram/
    Cool, I was right on if this is true, lol.

Superior Member
    What kind of OS does the PS3 run? I know it's quite different than how PCs ran due to the Cell chip, but that's all I know.

As far as the PS4 since their running it like a PC now does that mean their running the OS like Windows or is it something Sony cooked up just for the PS4?

It'll be nice to actually be able to access everything while in a game and a Playstation Store that doesn't lag like hell (But is a good design)

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTMIKE View Post
    What kind of OS does the PS3 run? I know it's quite different than how PCs ran due to the Cell chip, but that's all I know.

As far as the PS4 since their running it like a PC now does that mean their running the OS like Windows or is it something Sony cooked up just for the PS4?

It'll be nice to actually be able to access everything while in a game and a Playstation Store that doesn't lag like hell (But is a good design)
    I'm positive it runs a custom version of Linux like everything out there does except MS products (as they use customized Windows).

PS3's OS is only different from the Windows simply because it's not designed like them but more like the Windows Media Center for the lack of a better comparison. It's really not meant to act like a traditional OS.

If they did design it like Windows, it would look and act like it but that would take a lot of RAM and would be pointless as we don't need nearly the amount of things we can do on Windows so they made it more like a little browser instead that is more efficient as to what we want.

Even though MS is designing the next Xbox with a customized Windows 8 (or so we'd heard), it still may not look anything like Windows 8. It might be a highly customized version of it like Xbox 360 was of Windows 2000 (or whatever it was)...and you can see that the 360 OS looks and feels nothing like the Windows itself.

My point is that it doesn't matter what OS they have on there, all that matters is what features it has, how streamlined it is and how much RAM it's taking up.

Master Guru
    Is there anything the PS4 won't do? Sounds like this console is going to be ungodly powerful.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Is there anything the PS4 won't do? Sounds like this console is going to be ungodly powerful.
    This is going to bait some people.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Ungodly Powerful?
    As in not godlike?
    That's not a very nice thing to say.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    ungodly powerful?
    As in not godlike?
    rofl

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Ungodly Powerful?
    As in not godlike?
    TD $#@!ed up this time

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Forum Overseer
    I looked it up, apparently it's the equivalent of putting a negative with a positive to suggest that it's super positive? So like saying terribly good.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I looked it up, apparently it's the equivalent of putting a negative with a positive to suggest that it's super positive? So like saying terribly good.
    I'm not sure if one should try this with pickup lines.
    Last edited by jlippone; 04-15-2013 at 10:35. Reason: Removed an example which featured words like love, corpse and dumpster.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Could they possibly ring fence one of the 16 memory chips for os only leaving 15 x 512mb chips for Games?
    No, that wouldn't work. You don't access each memory bank separately in such an architecture (though you could have a couple CS Spaces.)

Instead what you do is allocate a specific address range that Games can access, that is separated from what the OS has full dominion over (OS should be able to reach beyond.)

It would be interesting to see how the 15min of game footage buffering is handled. The only way I see it working is if the video is compressed on the fly by the graphics processor (would be simple to do.) If they used H.265 that would give it a decent quality at a much lower bit rate than H.264 would and be great for streaming. It would need to be buffered, but I could see this being buffered on a dedicated space of the HDD. Also very easy to accomplish, it would only require a few megs of the OS memory to handle this as an intermediate buffer (graphics card writes to this circular buffer continuously, then the OS pushes this out to the HDD for longer storage - dropping older data packets as time progresses.) This would not be a tough thing to do to be honest. The ingenious part is simply thinking of doing it in the first place, and working with the graphic processor developer to incorporate that and make it exclusive to you. I should do a patent search on this as I'm sure there's one out there, but I'm too lazy.

Forum Guru
    They already do have hardware to do encoding, so you wouldn't have actually use the GPU for it either.

Thread Information