Latest PSU headlines:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 414

Thread: Dislike posts

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I still use it pretty frequently. I know other members do too. I simply use it for great posts and good posts I give likes. It's fine getting rid of the likes/ dislike system although members would likely be furious. But I've always thought negative rep is dumb as hell. Especially if the likes systems goes. I just don't see how a member should negatively impact another rep just because they are likely pissy about their post content. I know that some posts are negative rep worthy but I don't think it's a good idea.
    Ok, so having only a good rep is beneficial? Why have a dislike if you can't have a -rep? When I say it isn't being used, I mean it figuratively. Sure, people give out a +rep, but it doesn't actually have any meaning.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I'm not really arguing if it's beneficial or not, I'm just saying that allowing negative rep is a bad idea. Simply because of the fact that if someone ifs dislike happy they are going to give away negative rep like crazy if dislikes are removed. I think it's fine the way it is.

I know rep was a sacred thing before. You used to see + rep on here quite a bit. You take away likes and dislikes then that returns but then dislike is likely replaced by negative rep. With console wars going on I could see negative rep getting dished quite a bit. I just don't think that giving members the option to negatively affect rep it would be used too much. If members have a high rep score that could stack up quite a bit unless a cap on the value is in place. Hope that makes sense.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I want the rep you have to be earned in a more realistic way. Hey, if you post some really awful things, you deserve for that nice rep to take a hit. If you're spamming negative threads, constantly, you're going to get hit was some -rep. It will promote better discussion, more mature discussion. Otherwise, those that decide they don't want to take part in a much more mature social dialogue, will take a hit. Members will be familiar with each other, etc.

I honestly don't see, and haven't seen in action, any problem with it being used.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Sorry, bro. I'm with PS4Freak. The neg rep is a bad idea. This entire thread has been about how people abuse the dislike button and click dislike without replying. All neg rep does is put some muscle behind the same sort of thing. The number of complaints we are going to get because of neg rep is going to rise significantly. I see this as low value, high maintenance.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

5. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Let's examine the reason why Likes are so much more common than +Reps ever where: People are lazy. They don't usually care enough to go the full way of repping someone and typing in a message to justify the action. They much prefer tapping a Like button and moving on with their attention.

In the case of a -Rep button, I imagine they would have more meaning behind their reasoning and thought put in than a member simply being annoyed of someone's post and Disliking it. The action itself operates moreso as an actual criticism of one's posting character and/or habits. Naturally abuse will happen, but that will never not be the case.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I'm on the fence on this...

Maybe if it were trialled?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Sorry, bro. I'm with PS4Freak. The neg rep is a bad idea. This entire thread has been about how people abuse the dislike button and click dislike without replying. All neg rep does is put some muscle behind the same sort of thing. The number of complaints we are going to get because of neg rep is going to rise significantly. I see this as low value, high maintenance.
    MY complaint with the dislikes is that there isn't anything positive about them.

With the -rep, members will be required to add some legitimate reasoning with the use of it. It has weight and a purpose.

Look, I've used it before with a high traffic psp forum and irshell forums. I think there was three members that completely went against the ideology of the feature.

Right now we use a positive rep and likes/dislikes. None of those have any meaning. My reputation score doesn't mean anything. It's just a number. With the ability of others to influence that reputation it helps increase more positive discussions. Right now members don't have any consequences for having that type of attitude.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Let's examine the reason why Likes are so much more common than +Reps ever where: People are lazy. They don't usually care enough to go the full way of repping someone and typing in a message to justify the action. They much prefer tapping a Like button and moving on with their attention.

In the case of a -Rep button, I imagine they would have more meaning behind their reasoning and thought put in than a member simply being annoyed of someone's post and Disliking it. The action itself operates moreso as an actual criticism of one's posting character and/or habits. Naturally abuse will happen, but that will never not be the case.
    Likes/Dislikes are more visible. That is why they are more popular. It is just as easy for me to click the rep button as it is dislike except I have to confirm my rep. Before dislikes/likes we had a bunch of +rep posts that had no meaning or reasoning behind it but that was how people performed what the like button does now. Although, I will admit, there were also a lot of +rep posts that did have meaning content as well. Don't have a way of determining if +reps had more follow-up posts than dislikes though.

Is there value added to +rep/-rep since you have to view the person's profile to see it? Since reps are less visible I can sort of see an argument that they would be less used since they are not out for everyone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    MY complaint with the dislikes is that there isn't anything positive about them.

With the -rep, members will be required to add some legitimate reasoning with the use of it. It has weight and a purpose.

Look, I've used it before with a high traffic psp forum and irshell forums. I think there was three members that completely went against the ideology of the feature.

Right now we use a positive rep and likes/dislikes. None of those have any meaning. My reputation score doesn't mean anything. It's just a number. With the ability of others to influence that reputation it helps increase more positive discussions. Right now members don't have any consequences for having that type of attitude.
    Rep scores wouldn't have any more meaning if we add -rep unless we reset everyone's rep, correct? Only new posters would have a score that accurately reflected this change. The rest of us would have a wildly skewed rep score.

I don't think this will change discussions. Honestly, I'm not sure what "positive discussions" mean as that is a bit subjective.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

10. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Likes/Dislikes are more visible. That is why they are more popular. It is just as easy for me to click the rep button as it is dislike except I have to confirm my rep. Before dislikes/likes we had a bunch of +rep posts that had no meaning or reasoning behind it but that was how people performed what the like button does now. Although, I will admit, there were also a lot of +rep posts that did have meaning content as well. Don't have a way of determining if +reps had more follow-up posts than dislikes though.

Is there value added to +rep/-rep since you have to view the person's profile to see it? Since reps are less visible I can sort of see an argument that they would be less used since they are not out for everyone to see.

Rep scores wouldn't have any more meaning if we add -rep unless we reset everyone's rep, correct? Only new posters would have a score that accurately reflected this change. The rest of us would have a wildly skewed rep score.

I don't think this will change discussions. Honestly, I'm not sure what "positive discussions" mean as that is a bit subjective.
    These are exactly the words I was looking for to explain. Thanks Chris. Especially the fact that you mentioned about the visual aspect of the likes and dislikes. I think that is what separates it from the rep system.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Sage
    If dislike isn't going away, then a possible alternative would be to require a comment when a dislike is given. (with a minimum character limit so an actual reason is posted)

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If dislike isn't going away, then a possible alternative would be to require a comment when a dislike is given. (with a minimum character limit so an actual reason is posted)
    If I would want to comment on the post I would reply, not just dislike.

14. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Even though I'm not big on the dislike feature, it's nothing to get worked up over. If someone dislikes your post, it doesn't automatically mean they are some coward who is just hating on you. They just disagree. If you see anything more, then you're overthinking the system.

Is there abuse to the system? Yeah. Just ignore anyone who uses it to troll. If you have a good post others will like it, if you have a bad post people will thumb it down. And there's always the ability to report someone who constantly thumbs down every post. But no need to have to make a comment or remove the feature.

I guess over the months of it being reimplemented I saw it less as a detriment to the forums.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    If I would want to comment on the post I would reply, not just dislike.
    If you can't even post a simple comment as to why you dislike a post, what is the point in even clicking the dislike button?

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    im glad the issues surrounding the forums are now so small that people are arguing over the dislike button

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

18. Likes Ixion , Malt, mistercrow, Christopher likes this post
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    If you can't even post a simple comment as to why you dislike a post, what is the point in even clicking the dislike button?
    To dislike something that I dislike without having to type any unnecessary explanations and save time.

20. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    To not always have to post a simple comment when showing how you feel about something. It doesn't seem right to want to make the process for Disliking a post longer while leaving Likes alone. They should be treated equally.
    Last edited by Black; 01-10-2014 at 18:54.

Friendship is Carrots
    Likes/Dislikes are more visible. That is why they are more popular.
    That's part of why it's more popular. Same goes for my mentioned reason.

It is just as easy for me to click the rep button as it is dislike except I have to confirm my rep.
    You also need to type a message to justify the +Rep. You're overestimating the investment members have in this. People enjoy the convenience of clicking a single button then moving on. I know I do.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

23. Likes Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    people underestimate the power of convenience. or i should say, dilemma of convenience.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    To not always have to post a simple comment when showing how you feel about something. It doesn't seem right to want to make the process for Disliking a post longer while leaving Likes alone. They should be treated equally.
    Not really.

A like is the equivalent to +1 or this replies. If you wanted to elaborate on your like/agreement you would quote the person and make a post. Most people don't need to elaborate, so the like itself is sufficient.

That's part of why it's more popular. Same goes for my mentioned reason.

You also need to type a message to justify the +Rep. You're overestimating the investment members have in this. People enjoy the convenience of clicking a single button then moving on. I know I do.
    Just gave you +rep. No justification required.
    Last edited by Christopher; 01-10-2014 at 23:06.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Not really.

A like is the equivalent to +1 or this replies. If you wanted to elaborate on your like/agreement you would quote the person and make a post. Most people don't need to elaborate, so the like itself is sufficient.
    Same can be said for a dislike, when you dislike someones post but the reason has already been posted by another. I dont care regardless, I rarely use it lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Friendship is Carrots
    Just gave you +rep. No justification required.
    On the contrary, you have given justification. Furthermore, forcing an example isn't a support for your position. Besides, people usually list why they're giving the reputation. You can go through almost anyone's profile to see that.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

On the contrary, you have given justification. Furthermore, forcing an example isn't a support for your position. Besides, people usually list why they're giving the reputation. You can go through almost anyone's profile to see that.
    You also need to type a message to justify the +Rep.

I didn't have to type anything. That was the example. Call it "forced" if you want....that isn't support for your position either. No, you never said it was....and neither did I.

sigh.....I'm moving on.

Friendship is Carrots
    OK, I see where the misunderstanding is coming from.

To justify the rep you need to type a message. I wasn't saying you had to type a message to give a rep. However it does ask users to do so, and many have demonstrably followed up on that. Some may not even realize you can rep without a message. That was my point. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

OK, I see where the misunderstanding is coming from.

To justify the rep you need to type a message. I wasn't saying you had to type a message to give a rep. However it does ask users to do so, and many have demonstrably followed up on that. Some may not even realize you can rep without a message. That was my point. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
    Ah......Ok, I see what you are saying. Thanks for clarifying.

Thread Information