Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm one of those people who doesn't mind religion as long as it doesn't affect me. Believe what you want, but keep it out of politics.

I do admire religious architecture though. Cool stuff.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    You either believe or don't..

The end result is that if it is not used for religious killing, it can work well in citizens exists and be welcoming to all that want to explore it.... But we all know this has never been the case in every religion created real or cults
    Last edited by claud3; 04-10-2013 at 14:34.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    My mothers a full fledged christian and she's trying to make me into one by telling me to read the bible. I believe a bit I just don't like being forced into it.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    When there is nothing left to hope for, most people turn to God. Anything that gets you going, you know.
    That's probably the only good thing I can think of, of religion. It's been helpful in major crisis'.

The bad are too many to list.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    People have the freedom of beliefs in what they want and the freedom of choice
    Last edited by claud3; 04-10-2013 at 15:49.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    When there is nothing left to hope for, most people turn to God. Anything that gets you going, you know.
    That's probably the only good thing I can think of, of religion. It's been helpful in major crisis'.

The bad are too many to list.

On the move with Tapatalk
    I don't agree with that. While there are things that are bad that come from religious "people", the same can be said about "non-religious" people or that they don't quite follow a religion or they may have done whatever they were going to do regardless of their religious teachings and use their teachings as a means to justify what they do.

i.e. if we were invaded by an enemy today. we would see religious people using scriptures to justify their acts and you would see the nonreligious people justifying defending through the knowledge they've acquired themselves. but all people, whatever they believe in, will have a single goal and that is to defend.

Back to things non-religious people do bad i.e. the way abortions being done now are horrifying and people have seemed to become pretty liberal in what they value a person's life in that regard...I can't imagine what it would be like if there wasn't at least some push from the conservatives (religious people generally).

Same with stem cell...I don't agree using a dead fetus regardless if it was dead or arrival or whatever...i don't want someone to take something from me unless I allowed it. For that matter, I don't agree with animal testing either.

While these things help us, it's quite selfish of us to use other being to benefit us. Just doesn't seem like the sort of thing a truly religious person would do...not speaking about ignorant people who don't know what their scriptures say.

Let's not even go into animal bestiality ..these people don't seem like they believe in any sort of religion or God...if they truly did, they wouldn't be doing it.

Now do understand that in no way am I saying that these people need to read a 2 thousand year book to be a good person, I'm sure any educated non-religious person would know right from wrong as well (and how much of that is influenced by other religions, no way to tell as no one has seen a world without religious influence) but I would think an educated intellectual person without religion would do/know the right things as well.

It's the dumb selfish masses that are the problem, religion or not.

However where I feel religion does help is when you have the uneducated people who wouldn't know any better or wouldn't have depth in morality. I think religion would help those simple people...again, a percentage of these same people become the selfish dumb people but overall I think overall it does help.

PSN ID
    Eliphaz
    Imho religions serve as a sort of moral compass for society, they represnt moral consensus on a broader scale. As such they serve to guide the values and morals of the nations, and on ever smaller scales, the communities they reside or are active in.
    They are usefull in conveying teachings and traditions from generation to generation.
    They serve to facilitate within like minded individuals forums to communicate and practice they're respective beliefs and traditions, amongst themselves in whats commonly refered to as fellowship.
    On a individual level they grant a set path of growth for whats often refered to as 'the higher aspects' of self.
    On a negative note, they breed radicalism when left unchecked.
    My biggest issue with the big 3 monothestic faiths is the separatism the cause with the ' my way or the highway ' sentiment. I'm speaking of the beliefs that essentially and quite literally state if you dont believe what I do your dammed.
    Another cause for alarm is the forcing of ones beliefs on another.
    Plato often spoke of the world of ideas and the world of form, I think a pefect expression of the views and goals of religion vrs there actual manifestation and effect in the world.
    To borrow from a earlier post,I'll mention my favorite Einstien quote- "I believe in the brotherhood of mankind and in the uniqueness of the individual. But if you ask me to prove what I believe Ican not. There comes a time when the mind reaches a point; but can not find how it got there, all great ideas originate this way". sorry I kind've brutalized it there a bit.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    This is accurate.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I'm one of those people who doesn't mind religion as long as it doesn't affect me. Believe what you want, but keep it out of politics.

I do admire religious architecture though. Cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    My mothers a full fledged christian and she's trying to make me into one by telling me to read the bible. I believe a bit I just don't like being forced into it.
    I agree, I think it needs to be kept out of politics and schools, what you want to belief and follow in your personal life is your choice, but I don't think it belongs in either of those! My parents are die hard Catholics and it drives them up the wall that I am not pushing any type of religion onto my daughter, which I told them I didn't want to push any beliefs onto her (not even my own), but instead I want her to figure out what she wants to believe when she gets older and can make a choice of her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Same with stem cell...I don't agree using a dead fetus regardless if it was dead or arrival or whatever...i don't want someone to take something from me unless I allowed it.
    I am ok with stem cells as long as they are attained without having to kill anything! I have stem cells that I have stored from when my daughter was born from the cord blood (stem cells from the blood of the umbilical cord are some of the best) and if it can save her life or help her down the road then all the money I have put into it will be worth it!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Back to things non-religious people do bad i.e. the way abortions being done now are horrifying and people have seemed to become pretty liberal in what they value a person's life in that regard...I can't imagine what it would be like if there wasn't at least some push from the conservatives (religious people generally).

Same with stem cell...I don't agree using a dead fetus regardless if it was dead or arrival or whatever...i don't want someone to take something from me unless I allowed it. For that matter, I don't agree with animal testing either.

While these things help us, it's quite selfish of us to use other being to benefit us. Just doesn't seem like the sort of thing a truly religious person would do...not speaking about ignorant people who don't know what their scriptures say.
    See, this is exactly what I was talking about. You want your religious beliefs on these matters to affect everyone else. This is what annoys me.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am ok with stem cells as long as they are attained without having to kill anything! I have stem cells that I have stored from when my daughter was born from the cord blood (stem cells from the blood of the umbilical cord are some of the best) and if it can save her life or help her down the road then all the money I have put into it will be worth it!
    Yea I agree. I would totally support that and my brother in law has done it too with his kid.

Actually it's been recently discovered to be able to use adult stem cells too but it's still somewhat far away to be completely useful.

It's almost like we can find ways to make things better and moral and yet we use the name of science to be selfish and immoral.

I totally get why not doing these things would hamper our abilities to advance but then why don't we do a million other immoral things that would help us prosper? I could think of a lot of things that we can do in order to make money lol. WRONG THINGS.

12. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    the hell with it... It is not a massive deal at all

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    the hell with it... It is not a massive deal at all
    You would think differently if you were affected by any of it.

Dedicated Member

Disclosure: I am an atheist, although 'agnostic atheist' would probably be the most accurate description; I lack belief in a deity due to a lack of evidence, but accept that a lack of evidence does not equate to proof of non-existence. So, I just live my life as if no such being exists.

What can religion be used for? I am only going to mention a few areas because I am too short on time to have a big debate.

Culture

Most (all?) cultures have been heavily influenced by religion/myth. Religion provides a sense of community, and allows people to identify with a culture through shared values. It is heavily woven into many aspects of life, such as figures of speech, architecture and music, just to name a few.

Is religion needed for this? No - a sense of community, values, the appreciation of religious buildings and music (and new creations of these), can exist without religion.

Death and hope

Dealing with death is one of the hardest parts of life that we all must experience, and religion gives people hope that death is not the end. It makes us feel better, to think of a better future existence and that we will see our loved ones again.

Is religion needed in this area? I say no. Its ideas are desirable but perhaps we can achieve the outcome elsewhere. Do we need to fear the 'end'? No - I was blissfully unaware for the billions of years when I did not exist, and I will be blissfully unaware after I die (most likely). Would I feel better if I thought I would not really die and would see loved ones again? Yes, I suppose I would, but isn't truth more important? Wouldn't it be better to focus on scientific and medical research, to allow us to continue to live longer lives to share with loved ones, and perhaps one day even eliminate involuntary death? Surely this is a noble goal, and is better than trying to convince ourselves that death is not absolute when all evidence suggests it is. Scientific and moral advancement can give us hope and a better future.

Truth

Civilisations tried to describe their world and discover the truth of reality. This happened through myth/religion, which came to be through basic observations of peoples' surroundings, their hopes, and their fears.

Now, we no longer require religion to discover 'truth' in our world. Our methods have improved through the use of the scientific method, which has rendered religion obsolete for understanding our surroundings.

Morality

Religious texts acts as a guide for some people for how to live life.

But is religion needed for this? No. Atheists can be good or bad, and religious believers can be good or bad. Morality has advanced to the stage where slavery is no longer tolerated in civilised nations, and now societies are starting to discard intolerance of $#@!sexuals. We are becoming more tolerant in spite of the teachings of, for example, the Abrahamic religions. We can improve our morals independently of religious guidance by discovering evidence, contemplating our beliefs, and discovering new ideas through moral philosophy.

In short, no, religion is not needed.
    Last edited by Valefor; 04-10-2013 at 21:12.

16. Likes MonkeyClaw, Ixion likes this post

Thread Information