Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Why is religion needed? and why it's not?

I wanna hear your thoughts. I have mine as well but would like to hear all the myths and see if they are true or we can bust them...with reasonable opinions.

Let's try to keep this discussion about all religions rather than going into detail about one. Let's talk about why we should get rid of it or why we think it's necessary. Or maybe that you don't care if it's there or not. Whatever it is.

Please commence.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    This thread will probably get locked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    22. No Religious topics and no abuse of political topics - Religious topics are banned. Any member trolling, flaming or being outright disrespectful in a political topic will be infracted without warning. In addition, the amount of infraction points issued for any unacceptable behavior in these threads is higher than it is elsewhere in the forum. This is a result of members behaving poorly in these topics on previous occasions. PSU promotes intelligent discussion and the staff will clamp down very heavily on any member abusing their posting privileges in these topics.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I am atheist...so for me it is not in any way needed! I don't need an imaginary being to motivate me and give me morals! I can understand why it was needed years ago, to help control the masses, etc. but in this day and age I am amazed it still exists!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    This thread will probably get locked.
    Didn't realize that was still in effect...hmm, well if the mods think it's pointless then I can't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am atheist...so for me it is not in any way needed! I don't need an imaginary being to motivate me and give me morals! I can understand why it was needed years ago, to help control the masses, etc. but in this day and age I am amazed it still exists!
    Good point, I'd like to talk about this but sadly I'd have to come home first and hopefully this thread doesn't get locked by then lol.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I wanna hear your thoughts. I have mine as well but would like to hear all the myths and see if they are true or we can bust them...with reasonable opinions.

Let's try to keep this discussion about all religions rather than going into detail about one. Let's talk about why we should get rid of it or why we think it's necessary. Or maybe that you don't care if it's there or not. Whatever it is.

Please commence.
    Yeah. As fun as this thread sounds. Why would anyone want to put out their opinions on religion if you have already declared them myths. smh

I'll just say I'm a Roman Catholic, and shut the door on my way out.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Yeah. As fun as this thread sounds. Why would anyone want to put out their opinions on religion if you have already declared them myths. smh

I'll just say I'm a Roman Catholic, and shut the door on my way out.
    hehe except I meant the myths against religions...and which of them are true, which aren't.

This isn't about if religion is true or God is real, it's about values and culture.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    religion worked 5,00000 years ago when people didn't have the stuff we have today

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Try and keep this discussion professional and on topic. We'll be watching the thread for now.

9. Likes -Dj- , Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    religion worked 5,00000 years ago when people didn't have the stuff we have today
    Such as? Please elaborate.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Anyone impressed by religious architecture? Churches, cathedrals, mosques and so on, those that are many hundreds of years old?
    I like going in them smellign the old musty smell of hundreds of years worth of history.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Anyone impressed by religious architecture? Churches, cathedrals, mosques and so on, those that are many hundreds of years old?
    I like going in them smellign the old musty smell of hundreds of years worth of history.
    awesome point, i didn't think about that. also mandirs (hindu/sikh not sure what sikh temples are called so sorry about that) and monk temples are gorgeous as well.

i'd like to hear some negatives too because that's also what this thread is about. can't wait to flex my wings when i get home but please keep these interesting points of view coming.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Really? You like musty smells? The closest I get to musty is the smell of a new book.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    People need to believe there is more than this...the world we live in....its a weird thing religion. It enables people in myriads of ways, both positive and negative. Personally, i am a evidence guy. Show me the proof. I do however posess a definite belief in myself. Finding out who you are is a life lesson, something thats hit me in my 30`s. People need to believe in themselves...i cannot say religion is not needed. Who can say that?. People need something, thats for sure...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I really don't have one but I wouldn't call myself a atheist. With all respect I really have no care in the world for religion. I pay It no attention and It leaves me alone. I figure there's no sense In debating It with someone or being a part of It. Some one obviously is not right and I don't want to be on either of those sides. I know someone is lying and when we die, the truth will come. Until then I will live my life in the way I think is the best and whatever happens will eventually happen.There's a Einstein quote that sums It up for me and It goes like this.I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. "Albert Einstein"

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Really? You like musty smells? The closest I get to musty is the smell of a new book.
    I also like the smell of bitumen and warm oil and grease in engine rooms.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    People need to believe there is more than this...the world we live in....its a weird thing religion. It enables people in myriads of ways, both positive and negative. Personally, i am a evidence guy. Show me the proof. I do however posess a definite belief in myself. Finding out who you are is a life lesson, something thats hit me in my 30`s. People need to believe in themselves...i cannot say religion is not needed. Who can say that?. People need something, thats for sure...

Well without going into religion being the truth or not, not all religions believe in our earth being the only place in the universe.

But yea, I can see where you're going...as far as who is to say it is needed or not.

Dedicated Member
    To me, my religion defines a very important and large part of who I am and what I try to be as a person, religion teaches tolerance, love, peace, kindness to others, difference between right and wrong, and so many things which we as humans value. It also teaches that no matter what hardships we must bear, it'll all be worth it in the end if we only do what's right. I've got a fairly easy life, and I thank God for it, to me, it just doesn't make sense to think that such a vast and beautiful universe that is the best example of harmony be born out of nothing but accidental chaos. I've got other reasons too for keeping my religion and not converting to others, but that's really beyond the scope of the discussion at hand.

19. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post

PSN ID
    baffledduck
    dogmatic religion is not needed but a consensus amongst the worlds population in regards to spiritual practice and understanding is a must if the worlds to avoid dark days ahead.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Well my opinion is

Religion is a blanket for many to keep warm in, a gate way to an explanation to why they are here and were they go after they die... It is a piece of wonder and hope, it is a since off bravery for those that challenge its structure and meaning...

It gives a balance to their soul and well being, it strikes fear into nonbelievers and discredits them that seek to harm it's reasoning to exist... It mocks evil and the negative

It gives joy to those that banish any evil sin that they deem a un-pure act upon the soul and body...

It is just a secure weakness that most humans have
    Last edited by claud3; 04-10-2013 at 00:50.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Well without going into religion being the truth or not, not all religions believe in our earth being the only place in the universe.

But yea, I can see where you're going...as far as who is to say it is needed or not.
    I know all that..i don`t really wanna go deep..A. Because i am in no fit state, and B. See A.

:thumbup:

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Didn't realize that was still in effect...hmm, well if the mods think it's pointless then I can't say anything.

Good point, I'd like to talk about this but sadly I'd have to come home first and hopefully this thread doesn't get locked by then lol.
    So far it hasn't been locked! I guess as long as we keep it civil! There are typically two types of Atheists, the first type just don't believe in God or any supreme being and could care less what other people think or believe in, then there are the Atheists that feel the need to convert everyone else to being Atheist too (these types drive me crazy, and put a bad image on people like me)...I am the first type, I have friends of all different religions and we all respect each other, I still celebrate holidays like Christmas, but I don't sit there and sing happy birthday to Jesus (and yes, some of my friends actually do that on Christmas!), but I do go the extra mile to help others and try to do good things. I think if it makes you a better person, gets you through life, teaches you new things, helps other people and you don't shove it down everyone's throat then believe in what ever you want, God, Spaghetti Monsters, Allah, Aliens, anything!

Here is a funny chart I came across a little while back, I don't mean for it to be offensive in any way (all my other friends found it quite funny), heck I am glad I am not rich & insane!

Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 04-10-2013 at 02:08.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

24. Likes Omar, Silvy likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    So far it hasn't been locked! I guess as long as we keep it civil! There are typically two types of Atheists, the first type just don't believe in God or any supreme being and could care less what other people think or believe in, then there are the Atheists that feel the need to convert everyone else to being Atheist too (these types drive me crazy, and put a bad image on people like me)...I am the first type, I have friends of all different religions and we all respect each other, I still celebrate holidays like Christmas, but I don't sit there and sing happy birthday to Jesus (and yes, some of my friends actually do that on Christmas!), but I do go the extra mile to help others and try to do good things. I think if it makes you a better person, gets you through life, teaches you new things, helps other people and you don't shove it down everyone's throat then believe in what ever you want, God, Spaghetti Monsters, Allah, Aliens, anything!
    This man knows what he's talking about. Plus rep,

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    I take the middle-of-the-road position of agnosticism. I don't have any way of knowing if a God does, or doesn't, exist. It's possible that one could exist and we just haven't discovered a way to see it... or, it's possible one might not exist at all. None of us are capable of knowing for sure.

In any event, religion only bothers me when people use it to commit atrocities, demean others or if they try to convert me to their religion. If people can peacefully practice their religion without infringing on the rights of others, then more power to them. I think religion is great for a lot of people. If it helps helps people cope with the stress of life, be more charitable, be more kind, be more forgiving or be more prosperous... then who am I to speak ill of their choice? Only when it affects others negatively do I frown on religion... and not so much the religion, but the people who are acting counter to its teachings.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Such as? Please elaborate.
    5millions moons ago they didn't have scientist to answer what's on everyone mind like what made us?, why are we here? why did my 16 out of my 30 kids just dead? ect religion keep everyone living on the right track and happy. back then religion answer alot of things to the questions like why my 16 kids dead ect

now we have
    scientist we can answer alot of hard questions so religion is pointless now

Extreme Poster
    @Monkeyclaw I totally agree with you. Great points!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenooble View Post
    In any event, religion only bothers me when people use it to commit atrocities, demean others or if they try to convert me to their religion. If people can peacefully practice their religion without infringing on the rights of others, then more power to them. I think religion is great for a lot of people. If it helps helps people cope with the stress of life, be more charitable, be more kind, be more forgiving or be more prosperous... then who am I to speak ill of their choice? Only when it affects others negatively do I frown on religion... and not so much the religion, but the people who are acting counter to its teachings.
    That's one point I wanted to bring up actually. I agree with you, there are people out there that are fanatics and will demean others or say that they will go to hell if they didn't [enter commands from scriptures].

I think those are the people that put a bad name on people that are truly religious and not about some damn competition or this side or that side.

However, over the years, I'm coming to understand that it's not necessarily that they they're religious that makes them do that...it's more to do with the fact that there are certain people out there that will find a way to do just those ill things, regardless of their legion.

It just happens so that there are more people of religion out there than non-religious or aethiests/agnostics and that's why we think that religion makes these people commit atrocities when it's really to do with human nature. The same nature that drives people to kill/harm/intimidate in the name of the group/clan/tribe/religion/race they belong to. I don't think it has to do with religion but more like themselves.

People will always find a way to justify what they're doing. People can cherry pick religious teachings to their likings...it's happens all the time.

I think this is one area where I will disagree that religion is the root of all evil, it's man/woman (mostly man lol) that is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    5millions moons ago they didn't have scientist to answer what's on everyone mind like what made us?, why are we here? why did my 16 out of my 30 kids just dead? ect religion keep everyone living on the right track and happy. back then religion answer alot of things to the questions like why my 16 kids dead ect

now we have
    scientist we can answer alot of hard questions so religion is pointless now
    But religion is more than that. It is a way of life for many...granted not everyone follows their religion much and they pretty much do what they want but still get called a person of whatever religion but for the most part, many people take proverbs/knowledge from these books and apply them in their lives.

I can understand that some of these things wouldn't apply today but naturally people tend to cherry pick what they feel fits for today.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-10-2013 at 04:49.

Thread Information