Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

VGLeaks: Durango to support offline gameplay: Xbox 2013 roadmap

This falls inline with the other rumors that people have been downplaying. So it is possible that the specs that are out there now are of the redesign xbox lite or tv and not Durango which MS doesn't even recognize that it even exist. I guess misterxmedia insider is legit.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

We have received new information about the latest Xbox Roadmap. Our source unveils new details for Durango, Xbox mini and the Microsoft strategy; moreover we don’t forget Kinect 2.0.

Microsoft expands its Xbox brand

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection. Durango will be priced competitively according to PS4′s price.

Kinect 2.0

A different department within Xbox handles Kinect hardware and software. The focus was more on developing and networking both consoles with Kinect more of an after thought at that point, considering dealing with it would be less of an issue even with hardware changes to the main console hardware. Kinect isn’t the primary focus.

The development kits required several pieces of hardware as to combine all “potential” hardware which may or may not be required to work with each other, which also includes the potential for any or all devices to required a network connection, which is where most of the “required” rumors are coming from.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

2. Likes EHY893, mistercrow likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    the redesigned 360 wouldn't need those current leaked specs...doesn't make sense.

Anyways, glad to see about it not needing to be connected to the net in order to play.

Now reveal the 720 and show the games

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Great news. Looks like mynd was right. Now MS needs to show us the games as well as justify charging for Live now that PS4 is looking like its going to have a pretty nice online service including xgame chat.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    the redesigned 360 wouldn't need those current leaked specs...doesn't make sense.

Anyways, glad to see about it not needing to be connected to the net in order to play.

Now reveal the 720 and show the games

Great. Now rumors debunking other rumors.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    True but it does make the other rumors make more sense.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Stackable remnided me of the Genesis mega CD 32X

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Oooh that's more like it! C'mon reveal already.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

I know. I always run with the latest set of rumors. The cup is now half full rather than half empty from what I want from the 720.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oooh that's more like it! C'mon reveal already.
    C'mon May 27. Sounds so far away.

Elite Guru
    From the info giving I think this was an internal leak. MS trying kill some of the backlash from sweet billy. lol
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    From the info giving I think this was an internal leak. MS trying kill some of the backlash from sweet billy. lol
    Yeah I've been seeing alot of talk across the web about this possibly being a controlled leak from MS.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Hopefully this rumor turns out to be true regarding offline play. This was an absolute negative for me if that always online was the case. Come on MS rental your cards already!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    I hope this one is true. Always connected DRM has no place in consoles. Not sure how I feel about the reverse 32-X stuff, though.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    If true, awesome!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Buy a new Xbox 360 so you can play 360 games on your new new Xbox.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Well, then it would be optional BC, which might be good thing for some.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Great news. Looks like mynd was right. Now MS needs to show us the games as well as justify charging for Live now that PS4 is looking like its going to have a pretty nice online service including xgame chat.
    Ha ha, I leaked it
    In all seriousness though, this dual prong was the only way any the rumors made sense.
    Although I suspected the cheaper model to be still some for of durango, but a 360 makes sense, lets face it, there is a bucket load of on demand and XBL content for the 360 that just makes sense to make a much money/profit of them as you can.

But yeah, I called it, cheap, internet device with always on, no optical drive that could be networked to the main unit.

19. Likes EHY893, mistercrow, X2 likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Hmmmm.......

Sent from the Warlock

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Sounds promising. With the rest of you in looking forward to the reveal. This generation I doubt I'll be getting both consoles as I have in the past, so I'll be much more inclined to actually do my fair bit of research and pay attention to the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I'm also intrigued by the add-on device that would allow backwards compatibility. I think I overvalue that feature, granted I have a 360 and PS3, and so backwards compatibility on the future consoles isn't really all that crucial, but nevertheless it's a great feature to have for convenience purposes. Wish there was more talk of that for the PS4.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Buy a new Xbox 360 so you can play 360 games on your new new Xbox.
    Here is how I understand that it works.

The Durango will send kinect and controller data (so you don't need 2 kinects or a separate set of controllers) and although not certain yet possibly disc data to the Xbox Mini. The Xbox Mini will still handle all of the processing for Xbox 360 games and will likely send data to the Durango to create shortcuts in the Durango UI (but probably a little fancier than just icons) so you have access to everything under one interface. This would be done via a port that is not currently on the 360.

The size may not be as small as some are thinking it will be (Apple TV size) since it has been clarified to be a standalone console and not a addon. It will also still take up a power plug and HDMI port like any other console. It will come down to if you want to save a little time and how important it is to have everything under one interface.

23. Likes X2 likes this post
    Elite Guru

Xbox TV, or XTV if you will

First up, Superannuation has dug up information pertaining to the TV services the next console will contain.

According to a resume dug up by the Internet sleuth, a Microsoft engineer noted he worked on the Video Cognition team which was the result of Microsoft’s acquisition of VideoSurf, which developed tech which “catalogued and tagged videos by scanning audio and visual content of videos.”

MS will supposedly be using the VideoSurf tech “to radically change the way we watch TV,” using gestue and voice control to “streamline the way viewers search, consume, and share content, minimizing the time spent searching for programs, while maximizing the viewing and sharing capacities.”

Super points out this could mean MS plans to integrate its next Xbox with television content leading credence to the rumors that there will be two-SKUs with the upcoming console: one which is a set-top box and the other a console with all the bells ans whistles.

A couple presentation images mentioning “xTV” were also dug up, stating it was part of “multiplatform ecosystem that will allow a user to finish a television episode they were previously watching on their train ride home,” wrote Super. This was also mentioned in the 56-page manifesto which was leaked much to the chagrin of MS and its lawyers last year.

Via Kotaku.

Elite Guru

First up, Superannuation has dug up information pertaining to the TV services the next console will contain.

According to a resume dug up by the Internet sleuth, a Microsoft engineer noted he worked on the Video Cognition team which was the result of Microsoft’s acquisition of VideoSurf, which developed tech which “catalogued and tagged videos by scanning audio and visual content of videos.”

MS will supposedly be using the VideoSurf tech “to radically change the way we watch TV,” using gestue and voice control to “streamline the way viewers search, consume, and share content, minimizing the time spent searching for programs, while maximizing the viewing and sharing capacities.”

Super points out this could mean MS plans to integrate its next Xbox with television content leading credence to the rumors that there will be two-SKUs with the upcoming console: one which is a set-top box and the other a console with all the bells ans whistles.

A couple presentation images mentioning “xTV” were also dug up, stating it was part of “multiplatform ecosystem that will allow a user to finish a television episode they were previously watching on their train ride home,” wrote Super. This was also mentioned in the 56-page manifesto which was leaked much to the chagrin of MS and its lawyers last year.

Via Kotaku.

Forum Sage

Via Kotaku.
    I hope that part is true. That would be sweet. I wonder how they would pull it off.

Elite Guru
    I hope that part is true. That would be sweet. I wonder how they would pull it off.
    Via Kinect 2 and HDMI in port.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    Via Kinect 2 and HDMI in port.
    I guess a HDMI in port would make that possible. Pass the TV signal through that port along with using Kinect 2 making it like a interactive tv experience. This could be huge if they can pull it off. I like the idea of that.

Thread Information