Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So will this mini Xbox be used to phase out the 360 as MS launches Durango in Holiday 2013 or is MS going to actually launch two separate consoles or have two separate console launches and end up confusing the consumer?
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-11-2013 at 05:36.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    So will this mini Xbox be used to phase out the 360 at MS launches Durango in Holiday 2013 or is MS going to actually launch two separate consoles or have two console launches and end up confusing the consumer?
    Yeah I'm ready to see the details ironed out on this if this is fact. They must be planning on cutting out 360 soon if they are doing something like this. I guess this will be a good showing of just how many people care about BC.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    So will this mini Xbox be used to phase out the 360 at MS launches Durango in Holiday 2013 or is MS going to actually launch two separate consoles or have two console launches and end up confusing the consumer?
    Since the Xbox Mini is rumored not to have a disc drive I doubt they phase out the 360. They will likely have the Xbox 360(2 to 3 sku), Durango(1 to 2 sku) and Xbox Mini on the market for this holiday season.

Early to mid next year I believe it is rumor that they will release a lower spec set-top Durango (meant more for the services and arcade like games), but this may only be sold/leased by cable companies with a cable subscription.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Sony patented a similar device back in 2010 but as always they miss the boat on their own tech until someone else does it. It's a great idea for those who want the option to have BC without adding the cost to others that don't care as much for it (like me).

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Elite Guru

Update:

The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.

When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it’s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. You can control the Xbox Mini under a single interface and not have to worry about switching between devices in a single display input.

These connectivity functions cannot work with existing Xbox 360 units due to the difference in external interface. The Xbox Mini was designed for this along side Durango.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

6. Likes Sub-stance1, EHY893, Steve likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Sounds intriguing, will definitely keep an eye out for ms, I like the idea they're pitching. Playstation will always be my go to console for gaming (Sony cannot do multimedia on consoles to save there lives) but if the next Xbox is capable of all this multimedia rumors that's been popping out, then I'll seriously consider getting one....plus it plays games too!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

8. Likes X2 likes this post
    Elite Guru

I see what the dual APU's are for!!!!!
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I've been waiting for something like this to happen for some time. While Apple isn't generally considered to be a 'gaming company', they've certainly made themselves substantial revenue through user-made and developer-made mini games / apps. It was only a matter of time before companies like Sony and MS decided it was time to begin competing on that front, too.

Speaking of the XTV, I think the idea is good, but perhaps the timing wrong. The XTV should not be a separate 360 product, but should be combined with the Durango. The 360 has been out for years now, and releasing a new model, even if it can have perks when connected with the Durango, seems unnecessary to me. MS should be clearing the way entirely for the Durango so that there is no consumer confusion, and also so that people are more inclined to buy their more expensive, featured console. I see why they're trying to introduce this now, but introducing it for the 360 seems a bit late. I don't know many people who would buy both a Durango and an XTV. That sounds like a hell of a price tag.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    I've been waiting for something like this to happen for some time. While Apple isn't generally considered to be a 'gaming company', they've certainly made themselves substantial revenue through user-made and developer-made mini games / apps. It was only a matter of time before companies like Sony and MS decided it was time to begin competing on that front, too.

Speaking of the XTV, I think the idea is good, but perhaps the timing wrong. The XTV should not be a separate 360 product, but should be combined with the Durango. The 360 has been out for years now, and releasing a new model, even if it can have perks when connected with the Durango, seems unnecessary to me. MS should be clearing the way entirely for the Durango so that there is no consumer confusion, and also so that people are more inclined to buy their more expensive, featured console. I see why they're trying to introduce this now, but introducing it for the 360 seems a bit late. I don't know many people who would buy both a Durango and an XTV. That sounds like a hell of a price tag.
    To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.
    Last edited by X2; 04-11-2013 at 15:12.

Soldier 95B
    If that rumor is true, that is $#@!ing awesome!

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by X2 View Post
    This falls inline with the other rumors that people have been downplaying. So it is possible that the specs that are out there now are of the redesign xbox lite or tv and not Durango which MS doesn't even recognize that it even exist. I guess misterxmedia insider is legit.
    I posted from misterxmedia site regarding a second xbox when those bogus specs were revealed it was quickly dismissed as damage control.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Not all doom n gloom now eh.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Not all doom n gloom now eh.
    It still is for some people. They will just find something else negative about Durango to focus on. Find the weak spot and flip the giant crab for massive damage. lol

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    It still is for some people. They will just find something else negative about Durango to focus on. Find the weak spot and flip the giant crab for massive damage. lol
    In this thread?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    In this thread?
    Just a few on this site but mostly in general across the internet so take a deep breath. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-12-2013 at 07:16.

Elite Guru
    My knickers are in a bind?.. :s

Edit: Oh nice edit . What makes you think I'm out of breath?

It was just a question. All I noticed was people more interested in nextbox having offline gameplay, playing used games etc

Strange response on your part, to be fair.
    Last edited by Nitey; 04-11-2013 at 18:02.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    My knickers are in a bind?.. :s
    I dont know, are they?

Superior Member
    This is interesting to say the least. However, Why wouldn't someone just keep their 360 if a second box is still needed? Although this does begin to pull together everything that we have been hearing, this is going to confuse a lot of people.

I can't see the benefit of this but I have to assume that there is one. I really didn't think MS was going to pull support for the 360 after the 720 releases but this sort of indicates that they are. If you want a 360 you have to buy a 720 and the 360 add-on.

Way to go MS, another "accessory", another "option" and another way to screw the consumer.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    My knickers are in a bind?.. :s Edit: Oh nice edit . What makes you think I'm out of breath? It was just a question. All I noticed was people more interested in nextbox having offline gameplay, playing used games etc Strange response on your part, to be fair.
    Well tbh why is it when people here say "oh the usual xbox fans will probably say this or that" you always click likes on their posts. You never ask them for anybody's name. You only speak up when you feel something is directed at PS fans like you did in this thread. And in another thread you tell me to quit fighting the good fight every day when I was having a discussion with somebody which I thought ironic coming from you. You seem to get pretty defensive when it comes to PS fans and PS in general. Anyway if you have an issue with me just send me a pm so this thread doesn't get derailed. I've said all I'm going to say on this outside of a pm.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-11-2013 at 18:20.

Elite Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    This is interesting to say the least. However, Why wouldn't someone just keep their 360 if a second box is still needed? Although this does begin to pull together everything that we have been hearing, this is going to confuse a lot of people.

I can't see the benefit of this but I have to assume that there is one. I really didn't think MS was going to pull support for the 360 after the 720 releases but this sort of indicates that they are. If you want a 360 you have to buy a 720 and the 360 add-on.

Way to go MS, another "accessory", another "option" and another way to screw the consumer.
    This is not true, the xbox mini is a standalone device it's not needed it's optional.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    This is not true, the xbox mini is a standalone device it's not needed it's optional.
    I like how MS made it so those like me who dont care about BC dont have to pay for it in the form of a more expensive console.

Elite Guru
    Well tbh why is it when people here say "oh the usual xbox fans will probably say this or that" you always click likes on their posts. You never ask them for anybody's name. You only speak up when you feel something is directed at PS fans like you did in this thread. And in another thread you tell me to quit fighting the good fight every day when I was having a discussion with somebody which I thought ironic coming from you. You seem to get pretty defensive when it comes to PS fans and PS in general. Anyway if you have an issue with me just send me a pm so this thread doesn't get derailed. I've said all I'm going to say on this outside of a pm.
    There's a pattern emerging with regards to my 'likes'?

Anyway, in fairness I hardly ever speak up. My forum activity has decreased substantially because I don't usually have the time (or patience?) for back and forths on here but I asked what I asked you because all I honestly saw was people actually taking this good news for what it is: good news. In this thread.

Fair enough if you've seen PS fanboys on other boards still poke away at MS for something else but I'm not sure that has any relevance to our board. I felt my question was appropriate enough considering it relates to this thread.

I appreciate your concern though <3. I'll send you a PM immediately!

Superior Member
    So there will be a 360 and this add-on?
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Another way to screw the consumer.
    How is the consumer being screwed by giving them an option? I would say it is just the opposite.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    [QUOTE=Nitey;6064341]There's a pattern emerging with regards to my 'likes'? Anyway, in fairness I hardly ever speak up. My forum activity has decreased substantially because I don't usually have the time (or patience?) for back and forths on here but I asked what I asked you because all I honestly saw was people actually taking this good news for what it is: good news. In this thread. Fair enough if you've seen PS fanboys on other boards still poke away at MS for something else but I'm not sure that has any relevance to our board. I felt my question was appropriate enough considering it relates to this thread. I appreciate your concern though

Thread Information