Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90
  1. #26
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    That would certainly have been much more accurate.

    But claiming it has no bottlenecks is essentially claiming it has no limitations on what it can do, and that's definitely going to draw fire from anyone who knows better.
    It will only do that if you didn't know what they meant in the first place - thus negating 'anyone that knows better' because they'll already know what GG were on about.

    In the end, it's about how you the reader spin it - not necessarily GG's fault.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  2. #27
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Meh... PS3=Sony was so $#@!ing stupid to make a hard to program for console TROLOLOLO look at dem 3rd party games sucking ass PS4=Sony is using PC parts with x86 architecture that will make development easy as $#@!? $#@! you Sony! I LOVE that PS4 was so developer driven.
    Yep, damned if you do damned if you dont. Anyway I believe Sony has a winner with the PS4.

  3. #28
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,525
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    3,984 (0 Banked)
    Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    boo hiss! nuh-uh consoles are better!


    To be honest, PC gamers have always seen themselves as supreme beings. "keyBw0aARD and MU0u53 4evaa!!!" crowd, need to sit down and play some games on a sofa in their living rooms with their families... they might find other things to care about than pixel counts and 240fps.
    Foolish. I'm a PC gamer. I play PC games in my living room on a large tv with a very loud audio system sitting on my couch around my wife and son. I even use a controller for a lot of games. I also own 3 ps3's in my house.

    Do I care about pixel counts? Sure...in the sense I'd rather play a game at a native 1080 on my PC rather than not-even-hd resolutions on my console. Yes I'd rather even play my games at a solid 60fps instead of a stuttering 30!

    PC gaming is beautiful in the sense that it is what you make of it, the platform is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, will go where you want it to whether it's a desk or a living room.

    As far as PC games not stacking up to consoles...well we have just about every single multiplat game you guys got, and typically they run at faster frame rates and "real" resolutions on PC. Exclusives...well I have my consoles for those!

  4. #29
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Foolish. I'm a PC gamer. I play PC games in my living room on a large tv with a very loud audio system sitting on my couch around my wife and son. I even use a controller for a lot of games. I also own 3 ps3's in my house.

    Do I care about pixel counts? Sure...in the sense I'd rather play a game at a native 1080 on my PC rather than not-even-hd resolutions on my console. Yes I'd rather even play my games at a solid 60fps instead of a stuttering 30!

    PC gaming is beautiful in the sense that it is what you make of it, the platform is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, will go where you want it to whether it's a desk or a living room.

    As far as PC games not stacking up to consoles...well we have just about every single multiplat game you guys got, and typically they run at faster frame rates and "real" resolutions on PC. Exclusives...well I have my consoles for those!
    The problem with that is that the cheaper you go, the higher risk you'll run into headaches of not being able to run games.

    My laptop meets the requirements (and exceeds some) of some recent (1-2 years old) and older games and yet still has very noticeable hiccups here and there. IT varies game by game but I've noticed that games don't run so smoothly.

    You'll argue that I'll need a better system - but that's exactly my point. Shelling out to play, is almost a requirement for the PC. And that's not even every 7-10 year cycle like for consoles.

    I'd rather the off-chance of a slight framerate hiccup here or there, for a very minimal amount of time occurring within a console,than shelling out at least $1000 for a non-guaranteed chance of playing your games.

    Though if you're a strategy gaming nerd like me, PC is the only place to go for that.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  5. #30
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,407
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,605 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    boo hiss! nuh-uh consoles are better!


    To be honest, PC gamers have always seen themselves as supreme beings. "keyBw0aARD and MU0u53 4evaa!!!" crowd, need to sit down and play some games on a sofa in their living rooms with their families... they might find other things to care about than pixel counts and 240fps.
    I agree to a certain extent that PC gamers tend to be a little arrogant and elitist but their disposition isn't without warrant and justification. I myself have massively migrated back to PC gaming but that's because my tastes have changed a lot and I don't feel consoles have all the games I'd like to play. I've become a super Civilizations nut and to be honest, I find it's one of the best games out on the market. Same thing goes with Cities XL and Sim City

  6. #31
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I agree to a certain extent that PC gamers tend to be a little arrogant and elitist but their disposition isn't without warrant and justification. I myself have massively migrated back to PC gaming but that's because my tastes have changed a lot and I don't feel consoles have all the games I'd like to play. I've become a super Civilizations nut and to be honest, I find it's one of the best games out on the market. Same thing goes with Cities XL and Sim City
    Pretty much the same. Laptop is for strategy/turn based stuff. Everything else has to be on consoles.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  7. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
  8. #32
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,683
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,216 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I command the PC master race brotherhood to commence their trolling.
    PC fore lyfe

  9. #33
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,781
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    6,546,357 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    boo hiss! nuh-uh consoles are better!


    To be honest, PC gamers have always seen themselves as supreme beings. "keyBw0aARD and MU0u53 4evaa!!!" crowd, need to sit down and play some games on a sofa in their living rooms with their families... they might find other things to care about than pixel counts and 240fps.


    I agree with Morganator, PC gamers arrogant boastings about being the superior gaming platform have merrits from a technical standpoint, but when my PS3 is getting pretty much all of the 3rd party titles, plus amazing 1st party titles without the hassle or expensive graphics cards played from the comfort of the couch, then their pixels and FPS have a lot less importance in my eyes. It's all subjective. As with the PS3 vs 360 saga. Everyone uses different metrics to judge the worth and success of the different platforms, so all e-$#@!s can be zipped back up...$#@!es.

  10. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
  11. #34
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'd LOVE to be part of the PC Gaming Master Race. Believe me. But I simply don't have the disposable income to upgrade every month/3 months/6months/9months etc.




    Plus a neckbeard and ponytail maintenance will be hella itchy and annoying...


    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  12. #35
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The state of Natural
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    14
    Points
    3,020 (0 Banked)
    Well even if this were to clasify the ps4 in terms of a pc, so what? Of course there will be people that bash it because then it sends competition to the pc market. But regardless of all of that, a game console needs to focus on the games. So I guess by definition as long as the games are the primary focus but it shares similarites with a pc then it is what it is. I wonder if in the future there will be no such thing as a "game console?" but instead it's all one thing and just breaks down to having a desk top or a -'future machine name here- I'm sure it would probably make your coffee too and all for the low price of eleventeen hundred dollars.

    I just don't see any more big leaps coming unless they try to make a machine that can play a video game like some of the cgi cut scenes in some of the games, it almost makes sense that it would go towards a pc type of deal because sony tried doing different things and tech with the ps3 and developers didnt want to put forth a ton of effort to try to tap the full potential just because they had already invested so much time, energy, money in something that sort of became the standard. So in the end it was a gift and a curse for sony to try to think outside the box and do something different and here we are with the ps4 conforming to sorts with the 'norm' or 'standard'

  13. #36
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,374
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    18,794 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I'd LOVE to be part of the PC Gaming Master Race. Believe me. But I simply don't have the disposable income to upgrade every month/3 months/6months/9months etc.
    When I was highly strapped for cash during university I built a PC for 600, it lasted me for 6 years and the only thing I upgraded in the thing was a couple of HDDs. The misconception is crazy amongst those that don't game on the PC, there's a reason games have settings on the PC, so that you can play it on the older systems, hell on my second PC I can run BioShock Infinite on low to medium settings and it still looks better than the PS3 version and that machine has some 8 year old parts in it!

    Go-figure.

  14. #37
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,694
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    80,252 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I'd LOVE to be part of the PC Gaming Master Race. Believe me. But I simply don't have the disposable income to upgrade every month/3 months/6months/9months etc.
    ... Please tell me this is sarcasm.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  15. #38
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    When I was highly strapped for cash during university I built a PC for 600, it lasted me for 6 years and the only thing I upgraded in the thing was a couple of HDDs. The misconception is crazy amongst those that don't game on the PC, there's a reason games have settings on the PC, so that you can play it on the older systems, hell on my second PC I can run BioShock Infinite on low to medium settings and it still looks better than the PS3 version and that machine has some 8 year old parts in it!

    Go-figure.
    Still plays into my point though.

    Because not all PCs are the same. I have a laptop that is around 1.5 years old and it's very unpredictable when it comes to running thins My point was not that PCs or rather, "lower end" PCs can't run things - it's just ti's very unpredictable.

    Even games like NFS MW, Max Payne 3, LA Noire etc etc; had major issues (and some continue to do so) even on higher end machines.

    It's the unpredictability headache mainly that consumes me. Plus the cost. People can't say that for the most part, to buy that peace of mind of near-perfection and near-guarantee of running all/most games; that you don't need something on the "mid-range" - which would cost significantly more than consoles.

    Cost isn't a misconception. Far from it.

    If you gamers put the same amount of time and effort looking for the cheapest and best parts, that are all compatible together that mesh together well etc - then we'd be spending half the time looking for these parts rather than gaming...

    I've tried, and it's just not worth it.

    For sure, if you find it worth it - then that certainly eliminates the 'annoyance' and cost factor. But that doesn't mean it's not there for most nearly everyone.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  16. #39
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    ... Please tell me this is sarcasm.
    Why would it need to be?

    EDIT: I seem to have drawn the ire of The PC Gaming Master race.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  17. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
  18. #40
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,694
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    80,252 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Far from ire and more a correction.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  19. #41
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,683
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,216 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I play consoles for
    Third persons
    RGP type games, ones that take ages to beat dotn want to sit on this chair for hours on end.
    Driving
    platfrom

    basically anything that isn't FPS

    Since last year I had to become a PC gamer more again because my PS3 broke again for the second time. It was my PS2 breaking that drove me to PC gaming in the first place.
    Had every Sony console and the only one still working is the PS1 I bought in 1997 I hope PS4 is as reliable.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2013 at 01:06.

  20. #42
    Dedicated Member
    victorijapoosp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    46
    Points
    13,367 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I have built a gaming rig for about 800. And its a beautiful machine, got Far cry 3 for free with my graphics card, there's no denying it looks gorgeous. Ironically, I only built it because I need the grunt for Video editing. I went through about 3 different brands of controller pads, that for some reason won't work, apparently I had to configure and assign each button manually to a function!

    After 3 days of messing about, I threw them in the bin and went into a painful steep, keyboard and mouse play through. I cried more than once. it had nothing to do with the silly fc3 story.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

    SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

  21. #43
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    I have built a gaming rig for about 800. And its a beautiful machine, got Far cry 3 for free with my graphics card, there's no denying it looks gorgeous. Ironically, I only built it because I need the grunt for Video editing. I went through about 3 different brands of controller pads, that for some reason won't work, apparently I had to configure and assign each button manually to a function!

    After 3 days of messing about, I threw them in the bin and went into a painful steep, keyboard and mouse play through. I cried more than once. it had nothing to do with the silly fc3 story.
    You didn't just try an XBOX 360 PC controller?

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  22. #44
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,683
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,216 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    You didn't just try an XBOX 360 PC controller?
    Accoridng to Steam it only has "partial controller support"

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/22..._7_7_151_150_1

  23. #45
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,023
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    40,454 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Accoridng to Steam it only has "partial controller support"

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/22..._7_7_151_150_1
    lol what does that mean? Forward and backwrads will work, but shooting won't.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  24. #46
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,683
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,216 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    lol what does that mean? Forward and backwrads will work, but shooting won't.
    Sounds similar to half life 2 which also says the same. I got my DS3 working with it once but I had to mess with config files to get the sticks working as I wanted
    left for movement
    right for aiming/looking
    which thesedays is pretty much the standard yet HL2 defaulted to some funky goldeneye hybrid.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2013 at 02:32.

  25. #47
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,407
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    1,605 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Pretty much the same. Laptop is for strategy/turn based stuff. Everything else has to be on consoles.
    For the most part, I agree. It does all boil down to personal preferences in the end though and that's what really counts. I don't think I could ever play an FPS comfortably on PC and prefer consoles for the few FPS games I do bother with. On the other hand, my brother won't touch an FPS game on console, even if I offered payment. It just boils down to individual preference.

  26. #48
    Veteran
    Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,276
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    11,593 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    The PC gamer elitism trolls are generally those who don't own any consoles, don't understand their major part in the development of gaming and want nothing more than AAA developers to create games solely for them. The entitled spoilt brat syndrome in other words. They are a small but painfully vocal minority.

    Also if recent surveys are anything to go by, then it's fair to say many of these people have lower power systems than 7 year old consoles.

    Most normal gamers can and do play on both PC and consoles without a fuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    But claiming it has no bottlenecks is essentially claiming it has no limitations on what it can do, and that's definitely going to draw fire from anyone who knows better.
    No, not even remotely what no bottlenecks means. Jesus christ. You quite clearly do not know better

  27. #49
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,485
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    6,049 (0 Banked)
    With the PS4 coming soon with the prediction of 1080p @ 30fps I think PC gaming might have less of a draw than it has had over the past few years just because of consoles starting to match hdtv native resolutions, but PCs are almost always going to perform better over console games. Be it better frame rates, physics, lighting, textures. Also any problems i might run into are easily fixed with a google search or forum post.
    also i tend to find PC gaming a more rewarding experience if you build your rig yourself. Just knowing I built it and maintain it and upgrade it and care for it means I feel more invested in the hardware i'm playing my games on.
    that might not appeal to others and i can see the simplicity in a production line hardware kit that's plug and play with little effort to get to the games.

    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    lol what does that mean? Forward and backwrads will work, but shooting won't.
    I've only seen it as you would need the keyboard for menus at certain times, like navigating the steam menu.

    Quote Originally Posted by admartian
    I'd LOVE to be part of the PC Gaming Master Race. Believe me. But I simply don't have the disposable income to upgrade every month/3 months/6months/9months etc.
    just way off the mark...


  28. #50
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,525
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    3,984 (0 Banked)
    Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    The problem with that is that the cheaper you go, the higher risk you'll run into headaches of not being able to run games.

    My laptop meets the requirements (and exceeds some) of some recent (1-2 years old) and older games and yet still has very noticeable hiccups here and there. IT varies game by game but I've noticed that games don't run so smoothly.

    You'll argue that I'll need a better system - but that's exactly my point. Shelling out to play, is almost a requirement for the PC. And that's not even every 7-10 year cycle like for consoles.

    I'd rather the off-chance of a slight framerate hiccup here or there, for a very minimal amount of time occurring within a console,than shelling out at least $1000 for a non-guaranteed chance of playing your games.

    Though if you're a strategy gaming nerd like me, PC is the only place to go for that.
    Turn down the settings or fix whatever is wrong with your setup. Yes PC gaming takes more elbow work than consoles.

    And if you buy a decent card the first time yes it will last you just about an entire console generation. Granted at the end you'll not be running games with everything maxed...but it will still outdo a 7 year old console.

    $1000? Nah, only if you *want* to. Granted most PC gamers will want to, so point is moot I suppose...


    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Why would it need to be?

    EDIT: I seem to have drawn the ire of The PC Gaming Master race.
    Indeed you have...CHHHHaaarrRRRGGE


    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

    Most normal gamers can and do play on both PC and consoles without a fuss.

    Exactly, and thank you! I love games, regardless if they are on console or PC or a handheld. Yes if there are multi-plats I will take them on the platform that is superior, but that is because I want the best experience.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.