Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Killzone developer defends PS4 against PC trolls.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...rolls--1143537

Guerilla Games' Technical Director Michiel Van Der Leeuw has batted away claims that the PlayStation 4 is little more than a high-end PC in a games console package.

"The fact that the best pieces of [PS4] hardware are also devised from, or optimised versions of, the stuff we find in PCs doesn't make it any less a console," the Killzone man told Edge.

He then talked more specifically about members of the gaming community who have accused the PS4 of being just a PC in console clothing: "That's difficult because people are trolling, right. What do you say to a troll? You don't feed the trolls, that'll make them grow."

Don't feed the trolls. It's valid advice. Of course, it makes sense for Leeuw to defend the console as he then went on to explain how Guerilla Games played an instrumental role in the creation of the PS4, including making at least five changes to the graphics chip, CPU and bandwidth between components.

"I think it was for more than a year that we knew the main ingredients and there was just discussion after discussion trying to find a bottleneck," he said, revealing that Guerilla ran Killzone 3 and early Killzone 4 art assets through simulators to test prospective hardware.

Behind the scenes

Debate has raged over the PS4's specs ever since it was announced, with both Nvidia and the console's CPU/GPU provider - AMD - attacking and defending certain components to TechRadar at different junctures. Leeuw's comments, despite his troll warning, should add even more fuel to the fire.

Also revealed by Edge was that Evolution Studios, the team behind MotorStorm and the upcoming DriveClub, played a significant part in putting the PS4 together too - namely on its DualShock 4 controller.

"We were instrumental in securing the specific gyro components that [will] go in the DualShock 4," said Evolution's Technical Director Scott Kirkland, explaining that the company wanted controllers with high frequency gyros. It also helped shape the triggers and analogue sticks.

"So we put a very compelling case forward to the guys in Japan, they listened and they're the components that are in the DualShock 4."

The controller's triggers were developed alongside input from Guerilla, but Kirkland admitted there had to be some "compromise" between the studios over how they should function and feel.

"But the controller sits on the desk beautifully," he said. "It doesn't accidentally press the triggers, [and] they've got really nice resistance to them."
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Master Guru
    PC lol. As far as i'm concerned that platform has been irrelevant since the beginning of time. Great platform, just doesn't have the games to stack up to consoles.

3. Likes Suzano-O likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    "But the controller sits on the desk beautifully," he said. "It doesn't accidentally press the triggers, [and] they've got really nice resistance to them."
    This is what the article should have been about. $#@! yeah, non-$#@!ty triggers!

Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    PC lol. As far as i'm concerned that platform has been irrelevant since the beginning of time. Great platform, just doesn't have the games to stack up to consoles.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

5. Likes D3seeker, Omar, Fijiandoce, PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Defends against trolls? There's no point in doing this. It's like trying to shoot a horde of Walkers. Best to just duck and hide.
    I am the oncoming storm.

7. Likes Omar, Shingo likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This is what the article should have been about. $#@! yeah, non-$#@!ty triggers!

Lol that GIF is hilarious!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Defends against trolls? There's no point in doing this. It's like trying to shoot a horde of Walkers. Best to just duck and hide.
    This lol.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    PS4 will be good and thats all looooooooooool.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Flaw3d Genius
    If the triggers were shaped by Evo Studio's then it should be amazing for racing games, Right now the DS has such litttle movement for racing games, The pad should be Sony's best yet thank god!!

Very good idea getting devs to design the controller as it seemed Sony had lost imagination when it came to it.

12. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Sage

You know, those "trolls" have a point. All they did was take a bunch of PC components and came up with their own Frankenstein version. No one's denying that the system is still customized. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking, $300-$400 max price point.

Flaw3d Genius
    Yeah it's going to be much cheaper than PS3, With the worlds financial state it has to be.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    You know, those "trolls" have a point. All they did was take a bunch of PC components and came up with their own Frankenstein version. No one's denying that the system is still customized. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking, $300-$400 max price point.

I don't see how PC guys can troll that factor in. That is like a PC person trolling the other PC person, then again that is what trolling is. I personally think if people are going to troll, at least make sense of it. like before, A PC person trolling another PC person because he's using a PC isn't successful trolling, it's not really trolling It's just being a jackass.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Meh...

PS3=Sony was so $#@!ing stupid to make a hard to program for console TROLOLOLO look at dem 3rd party games sucking ass
    PS4=Sony is using PC parts with x86 architecture that will make development easy as $#@!? $#@! you Sony!

I LOVE that PS4 was so developer driven.

17. Likes mynd , Admartian , Coconut_Crunch likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    To be fair it is a PC however because it's frozen, developers know that when using low level programming it will work on all machines - something the PC can't ever have.

As far as i'm concerned that platform has been irrelevant since the beginning of time.
    No PC no console.

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Let's say it is a PC; so what?
    All the time I've heard people say how much more advanced PCs are compared to consoles, so what is the problem of having a super PC for console gaming? Plus it has nice tweaks and improvements that make a difference, plus it will have the software to back it up, plus you don't have to keep upgrading your graphics card and what not; so what is there to hate?

In the end is all about the games and Sony always delivers the best.
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Guru
    I'd never have thought a console being like a 'high end' PC would be made or taken as an insult. As far as I'm concerned, it's a massive compliment! I'd very much like my console games to look as good on PlayStation as they do on my rig.

If PlayStation 4 puts us one step closer to that, I'm all for it.

21. Likes Admartian , Coconut_Crunch likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I don't see how PC guys can troll that factor in. That is like a PC person trolling the other PC person, then again that is what trolling is. I personally think if people are going to troll, at least make sense of it. like before, A PC person trolling another PC person because he's using a PC isn't successful trolling, it's not really trolling It's just being a jackass.
    They can. For instance, PS4 uses a customized but inferior APU processor which is all true. It's about pointing out that the PS4, despite being PC-like, is still inferior to that of a proper PC.I don't see it as trolling or being a jackass. I see it as pointing out facts. It's only considered trolling because there are too many, "nuh-uh, consolez are bettarz" individuals.

Just saying.

Elite Member

Perhaps they wouldn't have to defend themselves against "PC trolls" if they would stop making ludicrous claims like "there are no bottlenecks".

Or should I believe that every PS4 game they produce will be in 1080p with 4X MSAA, 64-bit HDR, a minimum of 60FPS, and support 3D output? After all, the only reason they couldn't do that is if they ran into a bottleneck that prevented them from doing so, right?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Perhaps they wouldn't have to defend themselves against "PC trolls" if they would stop making ludicrous claims like "there are no bottlenecks".

Or should I believe that every PS4 game they produce will be in 1080p with 4X MSAA, 64-bit HDR, a minimum of 60FPS, and support 3D output? After all, the only reason they couldn't do that is if they ran into a bottleneck that prevented them from doing so, right?
    Instead of saying "it has no bottlenecks" they should of just said "a very well technically balanced system"

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Member
    What do u think dev use when they make console games?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Instead of saying "it has no bottlenecks" they should of just said "a very well technically balanced system"
    That would certainly have been much more accurate.

But claiming it has no bottlenecks is essentially claiming it has no limitations on what it can do, and that's definitely going to draw fire from anyone who knows better.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    They can. For instance, PS4 uses a customized but inferior APU processor which is all true. It's about pointing out that the PS4, despite being PC-like, is still inferior to that of a proper PC.I don't see it as trolling or being a jackass. I see it as pointing out facts. It's only considered trolling because there are too many, "nuh-uh, consolez are bettarz" individuals.

Just saying.
    boo hiss! nuh-uh consoles are better!

To be honest, PC gamers have always seen themselves as supreme beings. "keyBw0aARD and MU0u53 4evaa!!!" crowd, need to sit down and play some games on a sofa in their living rooms with their families... they might find other things to care about than pixel counts and 240fps.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 04-11-2013 at 19:24.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

28. Likes Suzano-O likes this post
    Master Poster
    Items User name style

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    That would certainly have been much more accurate.

But claiming it has no bottlenecks is essentially claiming it has no limitations on what it can do, and that's definitely going to draw fire from anyone who knows better.
    I can see how people can look into the statement wrong, but what they were meaning that is that no one part of the system is going to severely drag down the rest of the system like it did with the PS3. I have a feeling every component in the system is going to nicely complement each other.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    To be honest, PC gamers have always seen themselves as supreme beings. "keyBw0aARD and MU0u53 4evaa!!!" crowd, need to sit down and play some games on a sofa in their living rooms with their families... they might find other things to care about than pixel counts and 240fps.
    We don't see ourselves as supreme beings, we see ourselves as wanting to have the best experience as possible and we want our hardware pushed, when developers frequently port games across we tend to get the rough end of the stick which is why we get so annoyed. And we only go "mouse and keyboard" for a few genres like FPS, RTS, TBS, and a few others but you forget something, PC gamers love peripherals.

But before you say anything just because the PS4 is a PC, it doesn't mean it's not innovative and what they're doing is quite amazing.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    We don't see ourselves as supreme beings, we see ourselves as wanting to have the best experience as possible and we want our hardware pushed, when developers frequently port games across we tend to get the rough end of the stick which is why we get so annoyed. And we only go "mouse and keyboard" for a few genres like FPS, RTS, TBS, and a few others but you forget something, PC gamers love peripherals.

But before you say anything just because the PS4 is a PC, it doesn't mean it's not innovative and what they're doing is quite amazing.
    While the architecture of the system is PC like, all the other components (OS, RAM setup, bus designs, modified APU, etc.) are all different that what you will find in your everyday household PC, meaning it is going to be a finely tuned game system! I can't wait to see what developers do with it!

Thread Information