Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I cut cable last year. I looked at my roommate and asked, "Why the $#@! do we pay for this? There is nothing to watch." Hell, we generally used our computers more for tv. The only luxury was sports, but I'd rather miss the game than spend over $100 a month for cable and internet. Glad we did.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    jrp0024
    Whenever i cant see the game on tv i always use this website for watching sports. It has all the games that don't come out on tv. I think this is a good alternative if you are cutting cable.

http://www.firstrow1.eu

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I cut cable last year. I looked at my roommate and asked, "Why the $#@! do we pay for this? There is nothing to watch." Hell, we generally used our computers more for tv. The only luxury was sports, but I'd rather miss the game than spend over $100 a month for cable and internet. Glad we did.
    That is the issue I am running into, 99% of the stuff that is on TV is just garbage...I need to just figure out where my shows that I do watch are available on which service and do the same thing!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I can't remember the last time I actually watched proper TV. I always find myself either downloading the latest episodes of a show and putting them on my iPhone or PS3 or using catch-up (ITV Player, BBC iPlayer, 4OD) or using a streaming service such as Netflix. In this day and age, and with the technology we have available to us, the need for cable/satellite TV is becoming less and less.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    anybody know if DISH and DirectTV are any better?
    In general, they suck. Just as expensive as cable, and not as reliable. Specifically, if you live anywhere that has severe storms then expect to lose your TV for the duration of the storms. I can tell you from experience that losing your TV when the tornado sirens go off is a deal-killer for me. I need to know where the tornado is, not have a message about unable to find a signal.

Personally I've been extremely happy with Verizon FIOS service. It wasn't available at my last house, but once I moved I was able to cut my TV/Internet bill in half while almost doubling my internet speed with Verizon. Their TV + Internet (50mbps down/25mbps up)+ Phone is just $90.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    In general, they suck. Just as expensive as cable, and not as reliable. Specifically, if you live anywhere that has severe storms then expect to lose your TV for the duration of the storms. I can tell you from experience that losing your TV when the tornado sirens go off is a deal-killer for me. I need to know where the tornado is, not have a message about unable to find a signal.

Personally I've been extremely happy with Verizon FIOS service. It wasn't available at my last house, but once I moved I was able to cut my TV/Internet bill in half while almost doubling my internet speed with Verizon. Their TV + Internet (50mbps down/25mbps up)+ Phone is just $90.
    Yup, not to mention DirecTV and Dish typically have much lower bitrates on their channels than other services, and Verizon FiOS (which I have as well) is the only service that doesn't re-compress the video signal to a lower bitrate (unless something has changed recently that I am unaware of), gotta love fiber! I tried finding out if Google Fiber re-compresses their signal, but haven't found anything about it yet, but I would assume they probably don't either...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

The Heisman
    yeah comcast internet sky rockets when you don't bundle with cable.

I have the BLAST package which I think is 30 Mbps

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    After years of negotiating...

I finally told Comcast to kick rocks!

Going with netflix and hulu+... via comcast internet until I can think of an alternate provider.

anyone else out there a cable cutter?

yep, but I have comcast internet :/ hopefully another company comes out that is cheaper. I did cut the wire for DirecTV. honestly all you're paying for is more commercials, then you have to pay even more for HBO and showtime $#@! channels which are basically series run now.

All I have is regular TV channels and netflix now. If I want I will get hulu someday and it's still cheaper then DirecTV or Comcast cable TV. I've noticed more and more people cutting the wire too, it's showing on Comcasts profits. Big corporate swine comcast and now their highspeed internet is pretty much like $70.

I can tell right now that when Comcast starts to fall, they will fall hard.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I cut my cable about 2 years ago and have no regrets in doing so. The prices you pay for commercial ridden garbage are just outrageous. It just hit me one day. "Why am I paying for this garbage. 90% of the shows on there were trash I didn't watch. Why am I paying full price for a sliver of programming?" Cancelled that $#@! quick. I now pay $50 a month for 15 MBS internet through Time Warner Cable. Direct TV and Dish are just a big of a rip off as cable with $#@!tier service. Netflix and the internet is all I need. The shows that I want to watch I download in full the day after the season ends. Simple.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Veteran
    After years of negotiating...

I finally told Comcast to kick rocks!

Going with netflix and hulu+... via comcast internet until I can think of an alternate provider.

anyone else out there a cable cutter?
    So funny that you just did this, I am in the process of going OTA (digital HD on 10+ local channels) with Netflix or just use the Xbox services (which seem to be better than Netflix anyway), and Hulu. So far, how is it? Do you feel like you are missing anything?
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Why is internet so expensive in USA still?
    It was pretty expensive here int he UK in the early to mid 2000s but it has gotten alot better the last 7 or so years and starting to catch up with mainland Europe in terms of speed and price.
    Just recently found out that 200Mbit is being rolled out in Holland as I type this. http://goo.gl/PyXZ7

Virgin seems to be the fastest ISP in the UK at 120Mbit but its only available incable areas of which I am not in one.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I don't how it was/is now for you guys, but the internet providers have many regional monopolies for service. In many areas, both rural and urban, you're stuck with one or two choices for internet. So you either pony up or go without. It's pretty $#@!ty. Apartment complexes are the worst, you generally pick between the no name brand that doesn't provide great speeds, or one of the giants (because they struck deals with the landlord).

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I don't how it was/is now for you guys, but the internet providers have many regional monopolies for service. In many areas, both rural and urban, you're stuck with one or two choices for internet. So you either pony up or go without. It's pretty $#@!ty. Apartment complexes are the worst, you generally pick between the no name brand that doesn't provide great speeds, or one of the giants (because they struck deals with the landlord).
    I see.
    UK had a similar situation up until the 80s with BT being the sole telecoms provider and sole operator of the networks that was until Thatchers government privatised it and created competition laws allowing other companies to use BT's infrastructure causing BT to loose its monopoly.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group#1969_to_1982

Then during the 90s Nynex installed a load of cable underground which eventually Virgin media took control of. However homes with phone lines far outweigh homes with cable.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2013 at 22:48.

Elite Guru
    The wife and I cut cable little while ago and right now are just doing rabbit ears... Thinking about doing Amazon Prime.. $80 a yr and when you break it down per months it is actually cheaper than Netflix.. and you get more for it..

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    So funny that you just did this, I am in the process of going OTA (digital HD on 10+ local channels) with Netflix or just use the Xbox services (which seem to be better than Netflix anyway), and Hulu. So far, how is it? Do you feel like you are missing anything?
    The hardest part is not having ESPN... thankfully its not football season.

I am really going to miss Game of Thrones... I wish Sony would hurry up with the PS3 app...

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    It was pretty expensive here int he UK in the early to mid 2000s but it has gotten alot better the last 7 or so years and starting to catch up with mainland Europe in terms of speed and price.
    Just recently found out that 200Mbit is being rolled out in Holland as I type this. http://goo.gl/PyXZ7

Virgin seems to be the fastest ISP in the UK at 120Mbit but its only available incable areas of which I am not in one.

That plus geographical challenges.

Apprentice
    Seems appropriate:

18. Likes Morganator likes this post
    Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I've been thinking of doing this as well...$80+ for cable tv that I really only watch news and one tv show on is BS.
    Everything else: Internet.

Apprentice
    I've been doing this for a while now (since 2009 I believe) and to be honest it's the best thing I ever did. I was paying around $100 a month for Satellite TV and it wasn't up until a friend of mine from work said something along the lines of "Why are you paying to watch the same TV Shows over and over?"

Thread Information