Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO

Sony Exec Would "Hate to See All PS4 Games Being FPS"

In an interview with Edge Online, Sony’s Shuhei Yoshida spoke a bit about PlayStation 4’s to-be gaming ecosystem, and how the company wants a variety of different kinds of games on the platform.

One of Sony’s mysterious moves during February 20th’s reveal of PlayStation 4 was showing Knack before any other game. Knack is under development at Sony-owned Studio Japan, and it’s not exactly a game that pushes the PS4 to its limits. Indeed, it was developed, according to Yoshida, to be a sort of “Crash Bandicoot for PS4,” but that showing it before the heavy-hitters like Killzone or Infamous was “pretty intentional.”

“We [at Sony] were like yeah[,] we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure of very photorealistic, you know[,] big-budget blockbuster games. And you know[,] people like these games but these are not the only kinds of games that people can have fun with.”

It seems Sony has already been trying to show this with its revitalized attempt to convince independent developers to bring their games to PS3 and Vita, which has largely been successful so far. But will Sony's emphasis on games help PlayStation 4 overtake the yet-unannounced successor to the Xbox 360? Only time will tell.

Now let's hope all these other devs have the same mindset, not just for PS4 but for next gen all together. I really don't want to see more of the same from this gen. They need to mix things up a bit and do some other genres while also reinventing the FPS.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10...ames-being-fps

Sent from my Nexus 4

Flaw3d Genius
    I doubt all of a sudden FPS are going to outnumber every style of game lol Far more games this gen than FPS

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    I doubt all of a sudden FPS are going to outnumber every style of game lol Far more games this gen than FPS
    Yeah I don't think one day I'm going to wake up and all there are, are FPS games.

I've played games in first person but they're really not shooters, at least I don't think so. Dishonored and Deus Ex are the ones I think of.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Let's go, Legend of Dragoon 2!!!

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Until the day comes when fps don't generate a ton of hype will not devs stop pumping them out. Sadly it has become the safe go to choice these days.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

6. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I wish they'd finish the Resistance series.

Anyways, I guess they'll stick with kz + 3rd party when it comes to fps.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I would love to see a Transformers game based on the Gen 1 Transformers and have the game use Cel shading for the graphics to make it look just like you are playing the cartoon!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    FPS games, as we're all well aware, are very popular, but they'll never dominate the market so greatly that other types of games will simply cease to exist. FPS games are going to continue, especially throughout this upcoming generation, to be abundant. Just like this generation, it's going to be up to gamers to choose between the excellent FPS titles and the average, not-worth-your-time ones. But there will always be a good percentage of gamers who appreciate the more creative, less realistic games like Knack, for example.

I don't think we'll see games like Knack suddenly make a resurgence in that the number of FPS games will steadily decrease, but I don't think we'll see those types of games begin to wither away, either. Besides, I think this whole obsession with FPS games will begin to die down in the next few years. The top tier FPS games will certainly continue to draw large audiences, whether it be Battlefield, Call of Duty or some new next-generation FPS franchise, but soon enough I think other FPS titles will begin to fall away.

That's my theory, at least.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Elite Member
    Why not make an actual next gen crash bandicoot, make it with mind blowing graphics and bring back the bandicoot. But make it more open world, and make it simple but fun but also challenging. Something like that could be fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Master Guru
    Yeah, that's not going to happen lol. There will always be a market for other genres. FPS won't come close to out numbering other games.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Is there a study done on what's the most profitable genre of game? It'd be interesting to know.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Michine View Post
    Why not make an actual next gen crash bandicoot, make it with mind blowing graphics and bring back the bandicoot. But make it more open world, and make it simple but fun but also challenging. Something like that could be fun.
    Activision owns the IP now and i wouldnt want it unless Naughty Dog makes it.
    Thats why not.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Is there a study done on what's the most profitable genre of game? It'd be interesting to know.
    I did a little search and found this. Seems pretty predictable. Action, sports, and shooters are the top three, followed by the family audience and then by the role-playing audience.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    FPS's certainly get the threads advertised out of them! but I agree with the old coot.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I wish they'd finish the Resistance series.

Anyways, I guess they'll stick with kz + 3rd party when it comes to fps.
    Insomniac Games is no longer interested in the series and with the poor sales, Resistance 3 and Burning Skies pulled out, I highly doubt that they'll touch on that franchise again. It's a good thing too; I rather see Sony focus on different experiences.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Insomniac Games is no longer interested in the series and with the poor sales, Resistance 3 and Burning Skies pulled out, I highly doubt that they'll touch on that franchise again. It's a good thing too; I rather see Sony focus on different experiences.
    I agree, and I think that's for good reason. As someone who loved Resistance: Fall of Man, I think the series really declined afterwards. Let me rephrase ... It's much like what I've said about Assassin's Creed. The games themselves are good, but they lose what made them special. Resistance was, for me and for many other gamers allegedly, awesome because it illustrated the kind of FPS experience the PlayStation 3 had to offer. Burning cities and landscapes and an odd, chimera race of bad guys to fight against is obviously always an awesome concept.

With each successive game, they lost a greater number of people's interest, and I think Sony would be smart to focus on, like Fon said, new experiences. Especially for awhile. You don't want one of the PS3's original FPS flagships to be a PS4 flagship as well. The PlayStation 4 is the 'new', and the PS3 and all of its games the 'old'.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Until the day comes when fps don't generate a ton of hype will not devs stop pumping them out. Sadly it has become the safe go to choice these days.
    Its a genre that has an extended life span because of on-line play. Sure there are other genres with on-line play but #1 is shooters. It's also a cash cow since they can sell DLC maps for eons after release.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    Activision owns the IP now and i wouldnt want it unless Naughty Dog makes it.
    Thats why not.
    Oh yeh I forgot nd used to make it. Oh well then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    They should bring back JRPGs. Also, I'd like to see platformers make a return.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Overseer
    I think they stopped making platforms because that was what mostly kids bought or families...these consoles are not for families or kids. They're for the older gamers that have the money to spend.

Handhelds have all that and are going to keep getting that...thus we will see kids moving to handhelds. I just don't think some platforms can really make a substantial comeback.

It's going to be just as much work as it would if they made a game that older gamers would buy but just a lot more sales.

PSN ID
    mrdurant35
    All I want is a Warhawk or Starhawk 2 being TPS and I'm happy

Thread Information