Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Guru

Has anyone done a MBA?

Has anyone here done a MBA?

I'm wondering if it actually gives a good return on investment that a lot of people claim it does?

I'm graduating from university in the summer and I may have the opportunity to do a MBA straight away. However, it's an 18 month programme and costs 38,000 so isn't a decision I can take lightly

PSU Ghost Syndicate Corporation | Merc: Dorada Aquila | DUST PSN: smurf1191
    My first PSU article!

Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I know of some jobs, such as my friend who is a government contractor, doing computer stuff. And he was guaranteed massive pay raises with the addition of a degree, the larger the degree, the higher the pay.

I believe most places increase pay with higher degree.

But yes, a thing like is something that is worth a lot of consideration.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Depends on where you go and how you use it, I know people that have no college education and they make way more than people with one, so it all just depends on the situation...what is your career goal in life?

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    I know of some jobs, such as my friend who is a government contractor, doing computer stuff. And he was guaranteed massive pay raises with the addition of a degree, the larger the degree, the higher the pay.

I believe most places increase pay with higher degree.

But yes, a thing like is something that is worth a lot of consideration.
    Yeah exactly. The statistics for this MBA is an average starting salary of 60k and 116% average salary increase 3 years after that. So obviously, in that sense it would be pretty good lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Depends on where you go and how you use it, I know people that have no college education and they make way more than people with one, so it all just depends on the situation...what is your career goal in life?
    Yeah that's true. Plus I will soon have a degree behind me. My career goal is get to CEO level. I know this will take most of my career but it's where I want to aim to get to.

To get to that level I think it makes sense to do a MBA. But the thing is that I can do it any time. However, if I do it in a few years it'll be harder because my situation will be different but I will more likely have the funds to fund it so it will be easier on my financial situation. On the other hand, if I do it now it's a great thing to start my career off with. But then I'm already 30k in debt from university and that's another 38k solely for the MBA which would put a lot of financial strain on me.

My first PSU article!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    if you can do it right off the bat then go that route

my aunt gave it time after finishing uni and she's in her forties now and is about to complete it. if you want CEO then you sound exactly like her! she got so bogged down with work that she's never really had the time to do it proper. only recently she was given a position that gave her enough time to get around to doing it (a high position but still not CEO)

in short do it now whilst you have the time.

i finish uni in two years, if the opportunity presents itself, i will happily further myself with a masters. i ain't going no where near a doctorate though
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post

I'm graduating from university in the summer and I may have the opportunity to do a MBA straight away. However, it's an 18 month programme and costs 38,000 so isn't a decision I can take lightly
    MBA with no work experience... not very value-add. I would advice you get a job first, work for like 5 years, gain some leadership/management experience, and then go for an MBA.

Ive been working for 2 years now, pursuing a CFA designation. and then eventually MBA one day.

7. Likes Updator , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I just landed a new job where they will pay part of it if I pursue an MBA. I'd say it's a good investment overall, but it's really not a bad idea to get your foot in the door somewhere and go to school part-time while getting valuable work experience. You'll look like a much better candidate in the job market down the road with an advanced degree and experience that progressed from entry level.

Not an easy task to do, though. Going through a $#@! job search after college, I think Serinous hit it on the mark.

9. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I just landed a new job where they will pay part of it if I pursue an MBA. I'd say it's a good investment overall, but it's really not a bad idea to get your foot in the door somewhere and go to school part-time while getting valuable work experience. You'll look like a much better candidate in the job market down the road with an advanced degree and experience that progressed from entry level.

Not an easy task to do, though. Going through a $#@! job search after college, I think Serinous hit it on the mark.
    there are some firms in NZ that will do that too
    i have my eye on a few of them come next year!

but you and Serinous sound like my dad, naturally, i disagree with him so by extension i (respectfully) disagree with you too
    i already have a part time job (not that many hours thankfully) and doing Uni, Working my hours, and maintaining a social life is hard as balls!
    i don't want to start my career in such a fashion where im basically doing nothing but work.

unless a sweet deal comes along like you got Scud, i'd rather be done with it as soon as possible! i know i have it in me to achieve what i want even without the experience (should i get masters)

if holly is confident in herself then i would get it done soon and not wait 5 years. as my aunt found out, sometimes you end up waiting a lot longer...
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    I agree with the two that say get an MBA after having some work experience. You will learn a ton of very valuable information but you will have a very difficult time applying it without having a context in which to apply it. It typically takes years of working in organization before you start to understand enough to be able to apply the knowledge you gain from getting an MBA. So if you get an MBA ahead of time rather than wait and do it later, you will likely forget a lot of what you learned by the time you get to the point to where you're able to apply it in a real world situation.

Needless to say, I am taking the route I explained above. I've been out of college for a couple years, and I am going to go back for my MBA in the next 2 years. By that time I will have been in multiple departments and I will have a solid understanding of the overall organization for which I work. Had I taken the other route, I would not have been able to apply the knowledge while it was being taught, making the degree less useful to me from a standpoint of applying it in the real world.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

12. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Application of knowledge is one of many things to consider. Getting a job is an important one too.

If a firm has 1 spot, and there are 2 candidates, A and B. If both A and B have MBA (let's assume they both received the degree form the same school), but if candidate A have actual work experience, and candidate B have none, in MOST cases, the firm would choose A.

Also consider this. Since the global financial crisis that went down in 2008, ALOT of college graduates that couldnt find a job also went straight for masters/MBA. so now you have a HUGE pool of MBA graduates with NO experience. So to stand out from that crowd, you would need to have something they don't, and that is work experience.
    Last edited by Serinous; 04-12-2013 at 23:27.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    It also depends on the field of study you are in. Sometimes getting a Master's doesn't always = a lot more money.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    MBA with no work experience... not very value-add. I would advice you get a job first, work for like 5 years, gain some leadership/management experience, and then go for an MBA.

Ive been working for 2 years now, pursuing a CFA designation. and then eventually MBA one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post

Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    I agree with the two that say get an MBA after having some work experience. You will learn a ton of very valuable information but you will have a very difficult time applying it without having a context in which to apply it. It typically takes years of working in organization before you start to understand enough to be able to apply the knowledge you gain from getting an MBA. So if you get an MBA ahead of time rather than wait and do it later, you will likely forget a lot of what you learned by the time you get to the point to where you're able to apply it in a real world situation.

Needless to say, I am taking the route I explained above. I've been out of college for a couple years, and I am going to go back for my MBA in the next 2 years. By that time I will have been in multiple departments and I will have a solid understanding of the overall organization for which I work. Had I taken the other route, I would not have been able to apply the knowledge while it was being taught, making the degree less useful to me from a standpoint of applying it in the real world.
    I agree with all three of these posts! Based on what you are wanting to do a MBA would definitely help, but getting some work experience under your belt first would be the best thing to do!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    if we're getting pedantic about detail then its all about your contacts

as shrewd and snide as it sounds its the most effective way of 'getting ahead', especially within businesses. you can work your whole life and not be considered thanks to someone knowing the right people.

if need be i can go work in AUS for a mining company, the position is mine for the foreseeable future because i know the man who owns the company. and i haven't finished university, so experience i do not have. contacts, i have. it is a six figure job but i feel i can do better!

but as i say, it depends on how confident you feel. if you're sufficiently driven then do as you please.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Guru

I see what you're saying. However, I should have said in my original post that the entry route I'd be taking into this particular MBA is as a 'young potential leader'. So the point of it is that I have little work experience and on the programme I would have the chance to do an internship and work on live consultancy projects which would include international experience.

I already have one year of full time work experience behind me that puts me in a good position.

I would like to do the CFA after I've done an accounting qualification. Hope it's going well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    there are some firms in NZ that will do that too
    i have my eye on a few of them come next year!

but you and Serinous sound like my dad, naturally, i disagree with him so by extension i (respectfully) disagree with you too
    i already have a part time job (not that many hours thankfully) and doing Uni, Working my hours, and maintaining a social life is hard as balls!
    i don't want to start my career in such a fashion where im basically doing nothing but work.

unless a sweet deal comes along like you got Scud, i'd rather be done with it as soon as possible! i know i have it in me to achieve what i want even without the experience (should i get masters)

if holly is confident in herself then i would get it done soon and not wait 5 years. as my aunt found out, sometimes you end up waiting a lot longer...
    I am confident in myself, I know I can do it. Like you said with your aunt, I don't want to keep putting it off where it gets to the point where it's years down the line I do one. I would want it to add value to my career before then. I'd also would want to pursue the same MBA as this one no matter when I do it as it is very highly regarded globally.

My first PSU article!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I see what you're saying. However, I should have said in my original post that the entry route I'd be taking into this particular MBA is as a 'young potential leader'. So the point of it is that I have little work experience and on the programme I would have the chance to do an internship and work on live consultancy projects which would include international experience.

I already have one year of full time work experience behind me that puts me in a good position.

I would like to do the CFA after I've done an accounting qualification. Hope it's going well for you.

I am confident in myself, I know I can do it. Like you said with your aunt, I don't want to keep putting it off where it gets to the point where it's years down the line I do one. I would want it to add value to my career before then. I'd also would want to pursue the same MBA as this one no matter when I do it as it is very highly regarded globally.
    I don't know how companies work over on your side of the world, but I know in the US a lot of companies do tuition reimbursement, so that is something to thing about as well. I know at my job any college courses I decide to pursue I will get reimbursed for, so I am basically getting a free ride to further my education!

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE

so it's like a leadership development program? is there a guarantee placement of job. I think one thing you might want to think about is long term strategy: how will is route benefit you in the long run in terms of ensuring career progression.

oh and studying for he CFA sucks. lol

Veteran

One year is just enough time to get your feet wet. There is a reason why executive MBA programs won't accept people with less than X number of years in the work force and it's because it would be a waste of time for all parties.

That's the thing, just don't "put it off". You have to set a goal of, say, enrolling in 5 years MAX, and then do it, it's really that simple. However, you know yourself better than anyone else, and if you are the type of person that will put it off and never get it done then it may be better to do it now.
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by weskurtz81 View Post
    That's the thing, just don't "put it off". You have to set a goal of, say, enrolling in 5 years MAX, and then do it, it's really that simple. However, you know yourself better than anyone else, and if you are the type of person that will put it off and never get it done then it may be better to do it now.
    its not "that simple". 5 years is a long time, long enough for your priorities to change.

i don't want to use my aunt too much as an example but in those years she found my uncle and started a family. only now is she in a position to go back and finish it. and having not met her, you have no idea how much resolve she has. even i am a little bit envious of her accomplishments.

i lost one of my favourite maths teachers in high school because he too needed time to complete his masters, he was 46.
    bottom line is, seriously think about it early whilst you have the time, because once you start working you'll find time is something you don't have. i'll quote my dad on that as he loves to berate me on how he "hasn't had a holiday in 30 years!"

Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-13-2013 at 00:16.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

22. Likes holly likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    its not "that simple". 5 years is a long time, long enough for your priorities to change.

i don't want to use my aunt too much as an example but in those years she found my uncle and started a family. only now is she in a position to go back and finish it. and having not met her, you have no idea how much resolve she has. even i am a little bit envious of her accomplishments.

i lost one of my favourite maths teachers in high school because he too needed time to complete his masters, he was 46.
    bottom line is, seriously think about it early whilst you have the time, because once you start working you'll find time is something you don't have. i'll quote my dad on that as he loves to berate me on how he "hasn't had a holiday in 30 years!"

but think about "why" you want to pursue the degree. do you just want it have the 3 letters and a diploma? or do you wish to really develop yourself as a business professional/leader? if you choose the latter, then it's about how much can you bring to the table in a business setting. all academic and zero experience dosent weight a whole lot.

I have no doubt about your aunt. i bet its her work ethic and personality that got her this far. but can she guarantee that if she had gotten her MBA first, she would be in a lot better position now?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Doing one of these things fr CEO means a desk job right?

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    Absolutely this.

In the next ten years I plan on getting my Masters of Systems Engineering, first, and then an Masters of Business Administration, second, after I've had some time as a tech lead. By the time I'm 40 I hope to be running my own software development company, but I want to get a lot of experience at the engineering level before I move into business administration.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I don't know how companies work over on your side of the world, but I know in the US a lot of companies do tuition reimbursement, so that is something to thing about as well. I know at my job any college courses I decide to pursue I will get reimbursed for, so I am basically getting a free ride to further my education!
    Tbh, this is something I hadn't really thought about before I started this thread so I'm really glad this has come out of what some people have said here as I'm going to consider this for the future.

so it's like a leadership development program? is there a guarantee placement of job. I think one thing you might want to think about is long term strategy: how will is route benefit you in the long run in terms of ensuring career progression.

oh and studying for he CFA sucks. lol
    No, no guarantee of a job

Oh, that's erm great to hear lol. You still think the CFA is worth it right?

After thinking about it a bit more and considering all the different arguments here I think I'm going to hold off on doing this. Although there are good arguments for and against I feel it's not best for me to do it right now. I think once I've got a few years experience and I know exactly what I want to do (right now I only have an idea and won't know for sure until I start working) then I want to go for it and I think I will get more out of it that way. I see the value in doing a MBA more now, as a few weeks ago I didn't have much knowledge of it, and so I am adamant I want to do this in a few years when it's going to be the most useful to me in terms of shaping my career and not in 10, 20 years time where I won't be able to get maximum value out of it. I'm confident that I have enough determination to do it in a few years and not put it off. I'm the kind of person that if I want to do something I will do it and not give up until I do it, I get focused.

My first PSU article!

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    Some good arguments either way, but I think I would go ahead and do it now. As someone mentioned, plenty of competition in the market already has their MBA, so you will be competing against them when and if you get a job.

The other issue is the job you end up getting. Will you have time to study when you do go back? Yeah, you might have a better perspective at that point, but you may get less out of the classes if you are shuffling a 40+ work week, a relationship, possibly kids, etc.. I worked all through school and no one I worked for had sympathy for my schedule. If something came up at work that was important, my schooling wasn't their top priority.

School prices aren't getting any cheaper, either. Tuition, at least over here, is growing at a much, much faster rate than inflation. Therefore, it will cost you more for the MBA later.

The CFA is more specific than the MBA. I work with several CFAs and they are mainly concentrated on portfolio management/analytics/strategies. If you go into the investment industry, banking, or finance, it carries a lot of prestige. However, I see more MBAs in the typical CFO job.

Just my opinion. People have to choose what's right for their situation.
    Last edited by uofmtiger; 04-16-2013 at 23:24.

Thread Information