Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Elite Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,181
    Rep Power
    88
    Points
    7,121 (0 Banked)

    Rumor: PowerPC A2 in Xbox Mini and Durango(MisterXmedia Being Vindicated???)

    The more and more info release it seems that Misterxmedia and his source was correct, though I got laugh for even posting the info.


    Interesting conversation at OPA pages...


    DeadMeat: "My understanding of what that the Xbox TV was a Kinect device whose power consumption was low enough to added to a TV's circuit board.If the Xbox 360 is this Xbox TV, then Microsoft must have made a break-through in the Xbox 360 SOC's power consumption so that it can now be packaged into small devices."

    rOt : "Breakthrough??? The chipset is 8 years old and started out as a 90nm part. It's on a SoC I have this confirmed as a fact."

    DeadMeat: "It's hard to reduce power consumption in a deeply pipelined processor. Xbox 360 CPU had the longest pipeline in history, approaching 40 stages. Microsoft had to cut this down to 13~15 pipes to reduce power consumption in order for the SOC to fit into a Roku like box, meaning it is basically a new CPU sharing instruction set, not a die shrunk version of old CPU"

    DeadMeat: "Doing a quick search, the PowerPC A2 has a 15-stage pipeline, so this is a perfect candidate for the new Xbox 360's CPU. "


    Maybe a PowerPC A2 is still possible in the next XBox Mini(TV)


    ref: http://opa-ages.com/forums/topic/673...v-rumor/page-1
    ALSO:


    rot :

    Now that the cat is out of the bag on the Xbox Mini unit, I'll just throw this in:

    It will be marketed as a new product under the Xbox brand and not necessarily "Xbox 360". It's "tiny" and has the new Xbox 360 SoC (CPU/GPU/memory on one die). It will be targeted to compete against Roku, Apple TV and Google TV products and will not come with a disk drive.

    The "stackable" rumors are bull****. The next Xbox will have this same SoC in the box (thus the dual APU rumors). It will be a dual SoC system.

    The "mini" unit will play Xbox 360 games (no disk drive like it's competitors) and share a "pared down" version of the new dashboard.

    Both units will be marketed under the same Xbox "Next" brand.

    Also, VGLeaks updated their information to match the info I was given (posted earlier in this thread). Xbox "Next" Mini is a standalone device. They still haven't picked up that the "Durango" is the deluxe model that contains the next gen hardware along with the SoC in the Mini.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

  2. #2
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    PSN ID
    Key2001
    Posts
    1,958
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    9,124 (0 Banked)
    I wouldn't put much merit into anything coming from DeadMeat and that is where rot is getting his info. He is constantly making outrageous claims such as the Xbox 720 using a AMD HD9000 series GPU(2014 tech).

    There is a reason why everything he says is pretty much laughter at and that he is banned at most forums. Also, the VGLeaks article I believe was updated before that thread was made.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Veteran
    coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    long island ny
    Age
    38
    Posts
    20,790
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    26,346 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If they change the cpu how will 360 games work.this is total bs lol

  4. #4
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,525
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,471 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    If they change the cpu how will 360 games work.this is total bs lol
    Where did it say anything about using a different cpu?

  5. #5
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    20
    Posts
    8,243
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    28,187 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    so at this stage the xbox tv version is basically confirmed. Now if MS has to push two completely different xbox units to the market, either the price will be high or MS will take a loss

  6. #6
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,525
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,471 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    so at this stage the xbox tv version is confirmed. Now if MS has to push two completely different xbox units to the market, either the price will be high or MS will take a loss
    Nothing has been confirmed yet.

  7. #7
    Forum Sage
    Itachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winterfell
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Age
    20
    Posts
    8,243
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    28,187 (151,503 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Nothing has been confirmed yet.
    I have all the evidence I need. PS4 specs ended up being spot on to what I had read on gaf and b3d forums (except 8gb GDDR5) and its very difficult to argue vgleaks. Furthermore everyone knew MS to do something like this (casual mass market) so I'm convinced its happening. I just hope MS doesn't spread it self too thin cuz that's bad for us gamers

  8. #8
    Master Guru
    The Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    7,440
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    12,816 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    I went bavk and read all his blogs most of them were true like the VGleaks specs were from the xbox mini which no one knew about.
    There are some things out there he claims that may happen like MS will choose the 8890 GPU and opt for dx-12 instead of DX-11 .
    He also says an AMD will be at the MS unveiling of the 720 and announce a new partnership.
    Misterxmedia may get the last laugh if all this comes true.

    uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

  9. #9
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,525
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,471 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    I have all the evidence I need. PS4 specs ended up being spot on to what I had read on gaf and b3d forums (except 8gb GDDR5) and its very difficult to argue vgleaks. Furthermore everyone knew MS to do something like this (casual mass market) so I'm convinced its happening. I just hope MS doesn't spread it self too thin cuz that's bad for us gamers
    It's not set in stone yet. MS hasn't come out and confirmed anything. The success of the console depends on a number of factors. It's not all about specs.There will be other things that will set them apart.

  10. #10
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    PSN ID
    Key2001
    Posts
    1,958
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    9,124 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    I went bavk and read all his blogs most of them were true like the VGleaks specs were from the xbox mini which no one knew about.
    There are some things out there he claims that may happen like MS will choose the 8890 GPU and opt for dx-12 instead of DX-11 .
    He also says an AMD will be at the MS unveiling of the 720 and announce a new partnership.
    Misterxmedia may get the last laugh if all this comes true.
    Most, if not all, of DeadMeat's (who the source is from the claims in the op) claims have been false. There is a reason why the majority of posters laugh at his claims in all of his threads and why he is banned at most forums.

    If you go by his claims the Durango is not the next Xbox, it is just the Xbox TV. That the leaked specs are for the Xbox TV and the Durango specs are a lot higher. He claims the Xbox 3 will have a 8 core Piledriver + some 20 CU AMD GPU with eDRAM at $600 and that the Durango aka Xbox TV will be $250.

    There is no way Microsoft can release the system (4.2 TFLOP theoretical performance, more than double the PS4 performance) MisterXmedia and Deadmeat is claiming they are and still remain anywhere near competitive with the price.

    Don't forget that developers have stated that the "Xbox 720 Specs Will Be Aligned With PS4". These are actual developers, not someone that just claims he has "insider info".

    Here are a few more claims from Misterxmedia. Does anyone actually believe the below console is anywhere near possible at $600 or less?

    Insider: Ssd yes.. bluray yes ... 2x apu with 8000 mod.. 2 gig for each apu 4gig total + 1gig of edram. 4k res output surported for future tvs.

    Power pc based 64bit 8 core apu with ati hd8000 based gpu there is going to be 2 "of them. Each core has 4 threads. 16x4 = 64 threads
    Now kenect can use up to 4 cores or devs can use one core which is faster then xenos now.. the apus are clocked @ 3.6 each core has turbo boost @ 4.2. smart clock tech allows cores to run at varible speeds. each apu has 2 gig of ram.. and 1 gig of edram per apu.
    What I have put here is 99% the real cpu/eapu specs.. This is Microsoft goal. It is also what is available in the dev kits that are at E3.. If Microsoft show the Durango/720/8/loop this is what is behind these specs.. The final 2 gpu design final spec is not 100% known out of Microsoft rnd there target is HD8970 tech. The cpu pic is the real durango cpu/eapu but now that specs are leaking out over the next 4 days. It shows you the future.
    Durango cpu specs
    SOI -28nm 22nm by 2014
    3.8ghz - 4.2ghz Turbo-core mode
    4 SMT every core
    1024 KiB L2 per core
    8 VMX128 cores
    120MiB EDRAM
    There is 2 cores in every core. they are not stacked cores.
    Durango cpu is an ultra enhanced apu,
    DX11.1- 12.1 Upgradeable core logic
    "BASIC" Durango cpu can support 12- 32/64 bit 1080p Render Targets "back buffer" 10/64 bits color and aa on all back buffers. 2k resolution and beyond. Cpu/apu and gpu/s can access the EDRAM on the fly. A massive amount of system Ram is also available "more then orbis" (note: suddenly PS4 could have less ram then Durango)
    He was was wrong about his leaked PS4 specs and wrong about his leaked WiiU specs, so why does anyone believe he is going to be right about the next Xbox specs?
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 04-12-2013 at 04:42.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,694
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    18,044 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So to reach the $99 price point the 360 will basically be stripped to a media player, one with a pay wall.
    If enough storage is featured I assume games on demand, xbla will be useable.

    PS4 has little to no competition.

  12. #12
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,485
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    6,049 (0 Banked)
    this is what i wanted sony to do with the ps2.
    a mini console that plays last gen games with features from the current(next) gen.


  13. #13
    Elite Guru

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,181
    Rep Power
    88
    Points
    7,121 (0 Banked)
    This pretty much backs up those claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Rigby

    The post is reasonable and in line with what is being speculated for the PS4 also, there are two SoCs (depending on how you define SoC) in EVERYTHING PS4, Xbox 720, 32nm Xbox360/ARM and likely a 22nm PS3/ARM. The second ARM SoC takes care of low power STB features and provides Trustzone kernel booting and DRM tools for encrypting/decrypting. The compute ability in the ARM SoC is on the order of .5 CUs so adding that to the Speculated Durango 12 or PS4 18 CUs will have a marginal impact on playing games. It's more useful in providing UI and background tasks while the main GPU is running the game.

    ARM Trustzone can provide a standard for DRM that looks like is required by Cable companies before they will "trust" Game Consoles to be secure to offer Pay-per-view and VOD services. After June 2014 (FCC rule) all TVs in the US will need to either be Smart TVs or be connected to a set top box to receive, via the home network and RVU (DLNA + encryption), Cable TV from a cable gateway device. PS4, Xbox720 Xbox360/ARM and likely PS3/ARM can provide this feature. RVU will allow 1080P & S3D to be displayed on 1080P TVs, provided they support S3D. Currently the TV tuner in 1080P TVs can't handle h.264 and the max resolution is 1080i unless you have a blu-ray player. XTV is coming also.

    The diskless Xbox 360/ARM STB (Set Top Box) competes with Apple TV as a STB and can download Xbox 360 and Win8 RT games to a small internal flash or run games from the Durango Drive, likely both Blu-ray/DVD and Hard disk, over the network from a different room. Durango can also play Gakai like, Xbox 360 games served from the Xbox360/ARM. In this case the ARM SoC is converting frame buffer video to h.264 and streaming to the Durango.

    Both Sony and Microsoft will be supporting RVU. A diskless PS3/ARM and Xbox 360/ARM will likely be able to control and display Video from a Blu-ray player in another room; this should also be true for a Sony Smart TV with ARM Trustzone or some ROT (Root Of Trust) that is considered secure (Video coming from the blu-ray player would have to be encrypted and unencrypted in the platform playing the video.

    microsoft-sony.com might mean that Microsoft and Sony have agreed on a standard for secure sharing resources on the home network and have agreed to lowering the walls in their respective ecosystem walled gardens.

    Quote:
    The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.
    Both have low power STB TV functions (ARM SoC) married to Xbox 360 SoC or AMD APU (SoC).
    Also:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Rigby

    The post is reasonable and in line with what is being speculated for the PS4 also, there are two SoCs (depending on how you define SoC) in EVERYTHING PS4, Xbox 720, 32nm Xbox360/ARM and likely a 22nm PS3/ARM. The second ARM SoC takes care of low power STB features and provides Trustzone kernel booting and DRM tools for encrypting/decrypting. The compute ability in the ARM SoC is on the order of .5 CUs so adding that to the Speculated Durango 12 or PS4 18 CUs will have a marginal impact on playing games. It's more useful in providing UI and background tasks while the main GPU is running the game.

    ARM Trustzone can provide a standard for DRM that looks like is required by Cable companies before they will "trust" Game Consoles to be secure to offer Pay-per-view and VOD services. After June 2014 (FCC rule) all TVs in the US will need to either be Smart TVs or be connected to a set top box to receive, via the home network and RVU (DLNA + encryption), Cable TV from a cable gateway device. PS4, Xbox720 Xbox360/ARM and likely PS3/ARM can provide this feature. RVU will allow 1080P & S3D to be displayed on 1080P TVs, provided they support S3D. Currently the TV tuner in 1080P TVs can't handle h.264 and the max resolution is 1080i unless you have a blu-ray player. XTV is coming also.

    The diskless Xbox 360/ARM STB (Set Top Box) competes with Apple TV as a STB and can download Xbox 360 and Win8 RT games to a small internal flash or run games from the Durango Drive, likely both Blu-ray/DVD and Hard disk, over the network from a different room. Durango can also play Gakai like, Xbox 360 games served from the Xbox360/ARM. In this case the ARM SoC is converting frame buffer video to h.264 and streaming to the Durango.

    Both Sony and Microsoft will be supporting RVU. A diskless PS3/ARM and Xbox 360/ARM will likely be able to control and display Video from a Blu-ray player in another room; this should also be true for a Sony Smart TV with ARM Trustzone or some ROT (Root Of Trust) that is considered secure (Video coming from the blu-ray player would have to be encrypted and unencrypted in the platform playing the video.

    microsoft-sony.com might mean that Microsoft and Sony have agreed on a standard for secure sharing resources on the home network and have agreed to lowering the walls in their respective ecosystem walled gardens.

    Quote:
    The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.
    Both have low power STB TV functions (ARM SoC) married to Xbox 360 SoC or AMD APU (SoC).
    Last edited by X2; 04-16-2013 at 22:24.
    "We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that (developers) want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is, what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
    --Kaz Hirai, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.