Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog

Cliffy B on always on DRM: "Deal with it."

“Deal With It”

Yesterday reports that Adam Orth, the guy who somehow caused this$#@!storm, is no longer at Microsoft.
    Let’s pay attention to the wording here. Resigned. Not fired.

Now, beyond all of the use of the impact font and the “Haha let’s make an internet meme out of this guy we’ve never met” let’s also remember that what happened between Adam and his employer is now between the two of them. His comments may have exploded on the internet, but it’s actually quite possible that he was eyeing a departure, or he was getting bad reviews, or was tired of the perpetual overcast nature of the Pacific Northwest and timing may have been right for him to move on.
    I’m going to let you in on a little secret. When someone leaves a company there’s what publicly is stated and there’s what really happened.

And you’re likely to never, ever know it.

I have never met Adam, but I have friends who know him and have told me first hand that he’s a good guy. Maybe he’s got a mortgage. Maybe he has kids. Bills to pay, just like you and I.

It’s awfully easy to sit on an anonymous forum or venue and sling mud at someone who has put themselves out there. Show me a person who hasn’t said something dumb or incorrect or yes, even $#@!y on the internet and he should cast the first stone.
    We’ve all been there.

Let’s also keep in mind that Adam was not an official spokesperson for Microsoft.
    But, Cliff, as an employee of a large company you should know better?
    Sure.

But if I departed from Epic every time I said something dumb I wouldn’t have made it the last 10 years there. (P.S. Mike Capps was right…the Wii was a virus after all.) People make mistakes and sometimes it’s hard to actually convey a proper emotion, intent or meaning in 140 characters. (Hell if I had a nickel for every email that was misinterpreted when I was at Epic.)
    Now, I don’t know as much as you’d think I know about Microsoft’s future plans. Even if I did I wouldn’t go blogging about it like some sort of fool.

My gut is telling me that an always online future is probably coming. It’s coming fast, and possibly to the majority of the devices you enjoy. Adam’s analogies weren’t that far off; although the vacuum one was kind of weird. Sim City, with all of its’ troubles on launch, seems to be selling briskly. Diablo 3, the poster child of a messy launch, is estimated to be at 12 million units. (Remember the internet rage over the art style shift? I barely do. But it seemed so important at the time!) I would bet money that without the always online elements of Diablo 3 that it would have sold half of that.

“I’m so angry about this game treating me like a thief!” ::alt tabs over to bit torrent::

Remember when Microsoft made the decision to only allow broadband on Xbox Live? It was a bold move back then; broadband penetration wasn’t anywhere near what it is now. And yet the march of progress continued. Sooner or later our government, or Google, or any number of providers are going to get their $#@! together and we’ll have universally fast internet for the majority of the first world.

Or at least the ability to stream Dawson’s Creek on $#@!ing Netflix at decent quality.
    And here’s the thing. I’d be willing to say that any early adopter for any new piece of technology is probably going to have some sort of solid internet connection. Also, and I’ve stated this before, keeping that umbilical cord connected might not always require some sort of insane fat pipe. Sometimes just 3G might be enough.

Even then, it doesn’t matter. If you’re on a forum raging about Adam’s comments there’s a whole new generation of kids who are growing up always online who won’t really give a $#@!. And all that anger, all of that vitrol, all of that lynch mobbing that the internet seems to love to do lately will be for naught and forgotten.

My wife and I were discussing these issues this afternoon and she mentioned the example of “Hey what if I’m a gamer who wants to go to a cabin in the woods for a week and I don’t have online access there?” My response was “Unplugging entirely sometimes isn’t always a bad thing. And that’s the edge case…the week-long vacation to the cabin is only 30 hours of not playing a game or a device that’s built for much more.

Technology doesn’t advance by worrying about the edge case.
    If a service is good then people don’t mind paying for it. My Ipad is always connected because I love browsing Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook. I love the ecosystem of Itunes and the App store. If the ecosystem of an always connected device is fantastic then suddenly people don’t really seem to notice any more. When electricity came along and people had to have meters attached to their house they didn’t mind because they loved the idea of light bulbs, electric ranges, and refrigeration.
    If we don’t have devices that aren’t fully always online you can bet your ass that we’ll have devices that encourage you to return to the online ecosystem in order to “check in” and make sure everything on the system is legit. Could you hack/jailbreak such a device? Sure, but that crowd will almost always be the die hard/enthusiast crowd that’s not the average user and makes up a small percentage of the potential sales.

“Well that escalated quickly.”
    I find it disgusting that an online community would revel in the fact that they may have potentially contributed to a person losing their job. Even then, if they didn’t have anything to do with it at the end of the day, that they have the collective ego to think that they could do that. In a world of Indie-go-go and Kickstarter, where we can do great things in numbers, we should know better.
    I’d rather live in a world where someone can slip up, say something that the world doesn’t agree with, and not have the collective internet lynch mob up their ass.

Well behaved people rarely make history.

Deal with it.
    http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/pos...1/deal-with-it

I'm starting to wonder...is this guy always a tool on purpose..or is it unintentional? Hmm...I'll go with option one.

Does this guy not understand the amount of people that game offline? It's a huge market-share chunk. There are still several places on earth that Microsoft does business that lacks internet infrastructure altogether.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-12-2013 at 19:11. Reason: adding breaks!

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Soldier 95B
    Got to agree with Cliff in quite a bit of that article. Makes some great points. A tool? Yes. But surprisingly good comments from that tool.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Cliff is saying nonsense, I don't care/want to understand the circumstances of this days or new generations of kids. Everyone on this forum know this $#@!s %100, like staying always online is cool, good and noting that giving a headache yet this doesn't mean everyone wish to have a console with any kind of restriction, just ANY KIND... I simply against it, don't want it, and it is a parameter of my console/device/purchase selection. Just like Disc only or Download only games. Download only game is same as disc game, same content yet I prefer disc over download. Do you want to download the game instead of going to store? that is ok then, go and download, you and I both happy. But if some company, any of them forces me to something and saying me #dealwithit ( if MS comes with this kind of restriction, adam is MS man, I see no diffrences ) , I won't buy their product, unless I have no other option to go.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale
    Alot of nonsense ranting, his odd examples of technology updating (Broadband, Electricty) just isn't the same as online DRM.
    Last edited by neoxthexone; 04-12-2013 at 20:45.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Got to agree with Cliff in quite a bit of that article. Makes some great points. A tool? Yes. But surprisingly good comments from that tool.
    Agreed. I detect some bollocks in there but, generally, i agree with most of what he said.

Elite Guru
    Cliffy is trying real hard to remain relevant in the current climate.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Cliffy is trying real hard to remain relevant in the current climate.
    I get that feeling as well.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    He's always been opinionated of current events, I wish more devs were. Jaffe has been quiet.

He has a lot of good points, but I still don't agree with always on DRM.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    You know what would be funny, if he can't afford that mortgage and has to move to a place with $#@!ty internet, such as Blacksburg.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Maybe he was going to resign and couldn't care less hence his comments.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    where the $#@! is david jaffe? now thats the person i want to here from lol

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    When it comes to defending each other, personally and professionally; I can only take their word with a grain of salt. These industry guys (devs, execs, and even to an exdt4ent, Gaming "journalists") are fairly 'buddy buddy' and even pretty close friends.

In can't take their opinions on matters such these, as a truly objective one.

Imagine if a very close friend of yours had dealt with something similar - and no matter how wrong he was (short of any truly horrific act or crime) with an opinion or what he said or did - you would defend him.

Take a look at how certain sites/mags/people (podcasts/articles etc) react to negative news like this (or even things like the ME3 ending, SimCity 5 nightmare etc) and just see how those guys try to squirm their mates out of a bind...
    Be Together - Not the same.

13. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    “I’m so angry about this game treating me like a thief!” ::alt tabs over to bit torrent::
    Well that's a fallacious and gross generalization. Firstly, if someone already owns the game then they don't need to torrent it -- they'll just crack it. If they know the game will cause these issues, then they may be inclined to torrent it whereas otherwise they wouldn't. Honestly that's some exceptionally broken logic there.

Remember when Microsoft made the decision to only allow broadband on Xbox Live? It was a bold move back then; broadband penetration wasn’t anywhere near what it is now. And yet the march of progress continued.
    So is he implying that unnecessary DRM that punishes the consumer progress? Because it definitely looks that way. What a $#@!ing joke. This isn't progress, it's a disregard for consumer rights and customer care. Any developer who honestly thinks this way is poison for the industry.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-13-2013 at 12:45.

15. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Apprentice
    holy moly Cliffy, pucker up some more. hahaha

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

17. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Superior Member
    I understand the "broadband only" thing. They wanted tp ensure a high quality on-line game. The difference is that if I wanted to play the single player portion of Crimson Skies, I didn't need that connection. If this "always on" is true, that is no longer the case. This "always on" in now way benefits the gamer.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Why are people still going on about "always on"? We all know now that that only pertains to the now Rumored xboxtv

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thread Information