Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech issues

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So if you were to move to a completely new set up... What of our SP, POSTS and other stuff we have invested into the forum
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

2. Likes Gers likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    But it would benefit everyone, really. Rebooting the forum would wipe the post count - thus eliminating the occasional drama of veteran members vs newbies - and it allows PSU to find out just what plugins are causing problems for the forum. And with E3 coming up, with inevitable news/reveals about PS4, it would be the perfect chance to breathe life into PSU v2.0.
    I'd go mental if I lost my post count and my 1 million SP

Thank you itachi

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    So if you were to move to a completely new set up... What of our SP, POSTS and other stuff we have invested into the forum
    depending on the software, post count would probably make it... the posts, most likely will make it. SP however, is a vbulletin plug in. Depending on the new system, and we aren't planning to do this so it is hypothetical, SP would likely go away as it would potentially have no use.

It is all conjecture, but IF we were to go to another forum software, there would most likely be a reset of at least a couple vital statistics.
    LMAO

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    depending on the software, post count would probably make it... the posts, most likely will make it. SP however, is a vbulletin plug in. Depending on the new system, and we aren't planning to do this so it is hypothetical, SP would likely go away as it would potentially have no use.

It is all conjecture, but IF we were to go to another forum software, there would most likely be a reset of at least a couple vital statistics.
    To be honest i would not be bothered if i lost my post count or SP, because as long as i can still be part off this awesome forum

I am all for change
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    But it would benefit everyone, really. Rebooting the forum would wipe the post count - thus eliminating the occasional drama of veteran members vs newbies - and it allows PSU to find out just what plugins are causing problems for the forum. And with E3 coming up, with inevitable news/reveals about PS4, it would be the perfect chance to breathe life into PSU v2.0.
    Seriously, wiping the forums and starting fresh would NOT solve the problem. You just don't do that on a live environment to fix problems. The forums wouldn't be worth much to anyone if all this content was gone. The rankings the site receives will be gone, search referrals, GONE... might as well have someone set up a new site. It would be the worst decision ever made here. They already know that for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    If they changed the actual software, it's most likely to just migrate the database to a new system. Content, members, etc., should be able to just be "imported" into the new system. Plugins, unless they are able to be done the same way, would likely be gone.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If they changed the actual software, it's most likely to just migrate the database to a new system. Content, members, etc., should be able to just be "imported" into the new system. Plugins, unless they are able to be done the same way, would likely be gone.
    Yes, posts and content should be imported, but the currency (SP) is a plug in and would be gone.
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Ok guys a small update.

The tech guys have put in place a temporary fix to stabilize the site so we can buy some time to figure out where to go from here.

Things may come and go. Some temporarily, like the points system. It could be disabled during the troubleshooting process, but NOT removed. Meaning, when it is brought back, the calculations for your posts and such will be computed and appropriate SP doled out.

A while back, we put some new plug ins in place to bring back some older (no longer available) plug in features to the site. The issue we are running into is these plug ins are causing a cascading load on the servers, we believe in conjunction with other issues. Server loads just continue to rise, for no really obvious reasons. Since PSU was stable (or at least a lot more so) before the plug ins were installed, it is an obvious step to disable these to see if they are the cause.

Other solutions are being investigated as well, and we will keep you updated as info becomes available.

so to recap, if you notice the points go away, they will be back. any other forum features from here on out that disappear are going out as part of the hunt to find the DB load.
    LMAO

9. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yes, posts and content should be imported, but the currency (SP) is a plug in and would be gone.
    That's kinda what I said lol. There are some plug-ins that are able to go from vb to other systems, like smf, etc., but it'd have to be written specifically for that type of migration. I've been able to do it on a handful of occasions.

edit:

just read your new post. Get a list of all the plugins man, and just pm me the list.

11. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I am welcomed to anything that will fix the problems at hand and that means disabling certain features to get things fixed

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    That's kinda what I said lol. There are some plug-ins that are able to go from vb to other systems, like smf, etc., but it'd have to be written specifically for that type of migration. I've been able to do it on a handful of occasions.

edit:

just read your new post. Get a list of all the plugins man, and just pm me the list.
    Basically we installed Dragonbyte Tech plug ins...

Feel free to look them up and see what you can see, but simply put, it is likely that they are killing our site due to the DB size it has to utilize.
    LMAO

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Basically we installed Dragonbyte Tech plug ins...

Feel free to look them up and see what you can see, but simply put, it is likely that they are killing our site due to the DB size it has to utilize.
    Will do, thanks. I'm wondering if the amount of plugins is causing it, or an underpowered server. I'll get things rolling though.
    Last edited by F34R; 04-25-2013 at 19:46.

Master Sage
    I can understand the actual content being lost being a bad thing but do skill points and post count really mean that much to you? It's the internet.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

16. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Not to me really, yes i have built up over 13,000+ post and 100,000+ SP... But i am happy to start from scratch again

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I can understand the actual content being lost being a bad thing but do skill points and post count really mean that much to you? It's the internet.
    No, they don't really mean anything to me. Remove the points, and remove the post count. That will not make a dent in the problem. The points system, maybe, if it's causing problems with the server load, or extraordinarily increasing the database. Unless they have added some funky mod for post counting, it's built into the software, and it's something that just doesn't normally cause any issues going into the problems this forum has now.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Will do, thanks. I'm wondering if the amount of plugins is causing it, or an underpowered server. I'll get things rolling though.
    I think the tech guys are just thinking that their plug ins aren't truly "scalable" and as such, the massive DB we have (9.7GB for points alone) is not letting their plug in play nice with our system.
    LMAO

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I think the tech guys are just thinking that their plug ins aren't truly "scalable" and as such, the massive DB we have (9.7GB for points alone) is not letting their plug in play nice with our system.
    GOOD LORD!! LOL.

I'll try and recreate that tonight lol. That gave me a "wtf" look... hehe

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    So what is the overall solution to this and can it be fixed without too many loss's or pissed off members

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I'd start pruning the member list. That will at least reduce the database size in several aspects. I mean, we have people on here that have 5 posts, or less, and haven't been on here in seven years.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I'm happy for the plugins to go for a more streamlined site.

I've recently got a 480 (or something) error. It's becoming very hard to browse here.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    The errors have been happening every since i have been here and i have got use to them and that is sad

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    It's been a lot easier to browse for the last ~30 mins, so whatever was done seems to be working. Hoping for the best!

26. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Likewise and i have been on even longer, over two hours and all is fine so far

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Is it safe to spam F5 yet to see if everything's perfect?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    At present im just happy every click doesnt cause a 500 error to pop up, that $#@! was annoying this morning. Hopefully that doesnt happen tomorrow morning.. half my browsing is early morning lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Man the times many got that error... The overall outcome is the relaxation we expect when on the forum has returned
    Last edited by claud3; 04-26-2013 at 01:23.

Thread Information