Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech issues

Superior Member
    At the heart of this is a forum. That should be the priority. I'll gladly give up the bells and whistles if it means I can actually view and post in the forums without constant errors.

The visual image I have of this forum is of those people that start with a couple magnets on the front of their refrigerators. Then they keep adding until it's a massive crowded eyesore. Because there is so many magnets, some start falling to the floor every time they open or close the door on it.

Where I would walk up to it and clean the door of magnets because I just want to get to my food without a bunch of magnets hitting the floor every time I open it. Kinda like when a hoarder keeps collecting things until you can no longer walk around the house.

That may be this forum's problem. You've hoarded too many bells and whistles and nobody can walk around the forum anymore. Maybe it's time to haul that $#@! out so we can move around here.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm all for scrapping ALL addional bells and whistles to get the site stable. I couldn't care less about SP, icons etc. There are much cooler ways to reward meaningful forum activity (which is being discussed here in Iceland ).

Away with it!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    There aren't that many bells and whistles. Something isn't being done right, or wasn't for a long time before the new peeps took over, and that is the start of the problem. It could be the main site being integrated in with the forums, bad optimization, keeping almost a decade old database not pruned, etc.

In my opinion, if they haven't been able to fix it by now, it isn't going to happen. I would consider, on a test server that is, migrating the forum content and members list (after being pruned), and start building from there. Start with a fresh slate on the latest vb, you'll have all the members, and content available, and go from there.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    The visual image I have of this forum is of those people that start with a couple magnets on the front of their refrigerators. Then they keep adding until it's a massive crowded eyesore. Because there is so many magnets, some start falling to the floor every time they open or close the door on it, whereas I would walk up to it and clean the door of magnets because I just want to get to my food without a bunch of magnets hitting the floor every time I open it. Kinda like when a hoarder keeps collecting things until you can no longer walk around the house.
    That's actually a really good way to describe what PSU has become. When I joined back in 2008, PSU was pretty much a vanilla forum. The only features we had were skill points and icons (which looked way better back then as opposed to these massive Windows 8-like badges) and that was it. Nothing more, nothing less. And you know what? It worked great. There was never any slowdown or downtime (except for busy periods, such as E3) and the community, as a whole, was great. Over the years, PSU has lost its appeal, its sense of community and, in general, overall quality. It needs to be either completely rebooted or have everything stripped away from it so we're left with the forum, and the forum only.

If places such as NeoGAF and IGN can exist and be extremely popular with no gimmicky features, then why can't PSU?

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    That's actually a really good way to describe what PSU has become. When I joined back in 2008, PSU was pretty much a vanilla forum. The only features we had were skill points and icons (which looked way better back then as opposed to these massive Windows 8-like badges) and that was it. Nothing more, nothing less. And you know what? It worked great. There was never any slowdown or downtime (except for busy periods, such as E3) and the community, as a whole, was great. Over the years, PSU has lost its appeal, its sense of community and, in general, overall quality. It needs to be either completely rebooted or have everything stripped away from it so we're left with the forum, and the forum only.

If places such as NeoGAF and IGN can exist and be extremely popular with no gimmicky features, then why can't PSU?
    PSU doesn't have the traffic or load that those places have. Let's be honest here. There shouldn't be any reason why this place should have these problems unless the previous owners just didn't do a good job with their structure when adding mods, etc. I ran pspforums and talkvideogames by myself, with triple the load we have here, and never had any issues like this. There was much much more content in the forum area.

Now again, if the forums are all tied in with the main page, which I never ran along side the forums, then that can cause a lot of issues when paired with poor administration of the forums back-end. (that wasn't about any staff members btw before anyone starts getting pissed)

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    PSU doesn't have the traffic or load that those places have. Let's be honest here. There shouldn't be any reason why this place should have these problems unless the previous owners just didn't do a good job with their structure when adding mods, etc. I ran pspforums and talkvideogames by myself, with triple the load we have here, and never had any issues like this. There was much much more content in the forum area.

Now again, if the forums are all tied in with the main page, which I never ran along side the forums, then that can cause a lot of issues when paired with poor administration of the forums back-end. (that wasn't about any staff members btw before anyone starts getting pissed)
    Well if this isn't a load issue (which I don't think it is), they should have a mirror site for testing. That way you don't risk making the principle forum worse or breaking it. You make the test site the lab rat for changes and gauging the results.

I wasn't aware the forum/site was sold. To whom? Person or a corporate entity? Seb helped found the site.....that much I know.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well if this isn't a load issue (which I don't think it is), they should have a mirror site for testing. That way you don't risk making the principle forum worse or breaking it. You make the test site the lab rat for changes and gauging the results.

I wasn't aware the forum/site was sold. To whom? Person or a corporate entity? Seb helped found the site.....that much I know.
    I won't go into details on who is in charge now from the sale, etc., they can explain it if they want. Yes, they definitely should, and I assume do, have a mirror test site. I've been knocking out problems on a test site every time they come up here, and I'm not exactly sure where they are getting these issues from. The test site that I'm using right now isn't an exact mirror of the psu right now. It's about as close as I can get. We'll leave it at that lol.

Master Sage
    PSU doesn't have the traffic or load that those places have. Let's be honest here. There shouldn't be any reason why this place should have these problems unless the previous owners just didn't do a good job with their structure when adding mods, etc.
    How Seb and co. ran PSU doesn't come into this. In fact, dare I say it, Seb, AJe and even Dave did a great job at running and maintaining PSU. If there was/is a problem with the infrastructure, then it's down to the current technical team to make it right. In all honesty, no-one on PSU can be directly blamed for the problems with whatever plugin is causing issues.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    How Seb and co. ran PSU doesn't come into this. In fact, dare I say it, Seb, AJe and even Dave did a great job at running and maintaining PSU. If there was/is a problem with the infrastructure, then it's down to the current technical team to make it right. In all honesty, no-one on PSU can be directly blamed for the problems with whatever plugin is causing issues.
    I don't know whether how they did things does or doesn't come into it. Someone is responsible for adding, removing, modifying, etc., that is causing the problems. Either that, or this server just sucks badly. Putting in bluntly.

Master Sage
    I don't know whether how they did things does or doesn't come into it. Someone is responsible for adding, removing, modifying, etc., that is causing the problems. Either that, or this server just sucks badly. Putting in bluntly.
    A lot of plugins have been either added, removed or simply modified since the new owners (Starburst, if I remember rightly) took over. Trying to shift the blame on to one or the other is, quite simply, unnecessary. Like I mentioned earlier, the fault of the plugin not working doesn't lie with whichever forum is using it, it lies with the person who designed/coded the plugin.

And, from what I remember, the server has always been a bit on the dodgy side, even back in the days when Seb ran the place. That is not to say he's to blame, though, as servers/webhosts can be changed at will.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    A lot of plugins have been either added, removed or simply modified since the new owners (Starburst, if I remember rightly) took over. Trying to shift the blame on to one or the other is, quite simply, unnecessary. Like I mentioned earlier, the fault of the plugin not working doesn't lie with whichever forum is using it, it lies with the person who designed/coded the plugin.

And, from what I remember, the server has always been a bit on the dodgy side, even back in the days when Seb ran the place. That is not to say he's to blame, though, as servers/webhosts can be changed at will.
    I'm not trying to blame anyone in particular. Just bringing up issues that may be harder for x to fix because it was something done by y.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)

Servers are not the issue hardware wise.. we have changed server hosts twice since the sale.

It comes down to the fact that almost all software, vbulletin issues started when the site was "upgraded" to vbulletin4.0 in June 2010
    LMAO

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Servers are not the issue hardware wise.. we have changed server hosts twice since the sale.

It comes down to the fact that almost all software, vbulletin issues started when the site was "upgraded" to vbulletin4.0 in June 2010
    I'd say maybe retrograde the mirror site to v3.x if you don't get any results with your current testing. Businesses stuck with Windows XP for a reason......cuz it was stable and it works. Maybe v3.x is the ticket or move forward to v5.x and see if it works better.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 04-26-2013 at 14:35.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I'd say maybe retrograde the mirror site to v3.x if you don't get any results with your current testing. Businesses stuck with Windows XP for a reason......cuz it was stable and it works. Maybe v3.x is the ticket or move forward to v5.x and see if it works better.

Well, retrograding might be a test, but we can't use the current plug ins on vb3.8, and the ones we USED to use, are known security exploits now and we would not put them back in place.

We are looking into VB5.0, and also the feasibility of a new hosting software suite altogether, but that would be very expensive and PSU would be down for a short period.
    LMAO

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I'm all for scrapping ALL addional bells and whistles to get the site stable. I couldn't care less about SP, icons etc. There are much cooler ways to reward meaningful forum activity (which is being discussed here in Iceland ). Away with it!
    I agree with that.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    At this point I also agree with Ghost and just scrap all the fancy stuff. Although today the forum seems to be running very smooth for me. I have not seen a single Server Error today.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    At this point I also agree with Ghost and just scrap all the fancy stuff. Although today the forum seems to be running very smooth for me. I have not seen a single Server Error today.
    Well, you just started posting today, so everyone can expect the forums to take the obligatory nose dive. Here comes the errors peeps!

Everyone say thanks GillyLethal....

18. Likes Jaeger, Lethal likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Yeah its been running good today for me too. (knocks on wood).

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    same here, smooth sailing today.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Jinxed it.

Superior Member
    Well, retrograding might be a test, but we can't use the current plug ins on vb3.8, and the ones we USED to use, are known security exploits now and we would not put them back in place.

We are looking into VB5.0, and also the feasibility of a new hosting software suite altogether, but that would be very expensive and PSU would be down for a short period.

Yes...I'd exhaust all your options with popping in or out plugins before the thought of upgrading. VB5.0 may not solve the problem at all. I'd only upgrade if you think it's new features justify upgrading separate from the current issues. Among other words.... the "we were planning to upgrade anyways" reason... not only because of the forum's issues.

I'll chime in that over the course of last night, I didn't get any errors either. So maybe you are on the right track. Not sure if server load exasperates these issues or not. I guess leave it as it currently is and watch the loads.

Does this software log the server issues we get or is the only way you know is by us telling you? Cuz if it does log these errors, you can put it up against a server load graph to see if loads in any way are exasperating the problem.

Hell... if your software logs server errors then you'd be able to see for yourself if popping in or out plugins actually works without us having to tell you.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Yes...I'd exhaust all your options with popping in or out plugins before the thought of upgrading. VB5.0 may not solve the problem at all. I'd only upgrade if you think it's new features justify upgrading separate from the current issues. Among other words.... the "we were planning to upgrade anyways" reason... not only because of the forum's issues.

I'll chime in that over the course of last night, I didn't get any errors either. So maybe you are on the right track. Not sure if server load exasperates these issues or not. I guess leave it as it currently is and watch the loads.

Does this software log the server issues we get or is the only way you know is by us telling you? Cuz if it does log these errors, you can put it up against a server load graph to see if loads in any way are exasperating the problem.

Hell... if your software logs server errors then you'd be able to see for yourself if popping in or out plugins actually works without us having to tell you.
    from what the tech guys are saying, they are watching the load balancing figures simply climb and climb... by disabling some of the dragonbyte features, or scaling them back a little (less real time calcs) we have been able to mitigate some of the errors. however, having said that, the errors we were able to correct were the ones that were on a schedule. meaning, they happened the same time every day. we still have far too many 500 errors for a site to be recognized as reliable.
    LMAO

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Runs smooth on PS3 browser but runs like crap on the 360 browser. Must not like IE.

Superior Member
    from what the tech guys are saying, they are watching the load balancing figures simply climb and climb... by disabling some of the dragonbyte features, or scaling them back a little (less real time calcs) we have been able to mitigate some of the errors. however, having said that, the errors we were able to correct were the ones that were on a schedule. meaning, they happened the same time every day. we still have far too many 500 errors for a site to be recognized as reliable.
    Have they talked to dragonbyte tech support to see if they have any solutions or ideas as to what's happening? That's a good place to start.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Runs smooth on PS3 browser but runs like crap on the 360 browser. Must not like IE.
    Ie never really did work for this site..lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Thread Information