Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    “Once in a while the stars align and you get that perfect moment where you can just go ‘bang bang bang’, chain a bunch of moves together and dive out a window and disappear”
    It doesn't sound that bad tbh. Faster paced but the element of staying hidden still exists.

We'll see how this actually turns out but as a SC fan I'll most likely get it.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    I think my decision on this new Splinter Cell was just confirmed.

http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...-arkham-games/

Pretty much everything said that they needed to change is what people loved the previous ones for. You had to play smart and pay attention to your surroundings. Use your tools, such as the optic camera, sticky camera and other distractions to lure guards away from an area or to find out whats on the other side of the door or around the corner. We weren't given a map of the entire area and shown that "here, that's where your best route is". No, we used stealth to investigate areas and used multiple playthroughs to find out the best ways and new ways to do things. We enjoyed challenges and enjoyed knowing that one step and you're in danger. It was thrilling, it was exciting and it was what made the franchise.

They said it themselves, they need to make it easier, make it more mistake-friendly and allow much more action for the the mainstream crowd.

I really hope they can return to their roots, because I don't see myself picking it up if it keeps becoming more and more like an FPS.
    You clearly haven't been keeping abreast of this game. Do not worry everything you want will be there, I suggest you go watch some of the videos. Especially the abandoned mill walk through.

Last edited by mynd; 04-17-2013 at 12:16.

3. Likes MjW likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I loved the executions!
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    well if devs ever read the forums they'll know fans are fed up with non-stealth style and they'll re-integrate it.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You clearly haven't been keeping abreast of this game. Do not worry everything you want will be there, I suggest you go watch some of the videos. Especially the abandoned mill walk through.

I honestly couldn't make it halfway through the video. I could tell pretty quickly it still wasn't too my liking.

The helicopter searching around, flying right over people without them noticing was a head shaker. Then shooting someone with a sticky shocker directly in front of someone else without that other person noticing was definitely a no-no.

Then there was the sleeping gas, which knocked someone out and the patrolling guard doesn't seem to care his buddy just toppled over.

We're then introduced to the impossible speed climbing on the ledge. I had enough of that with Conviction (which I only put up with because it was still Ironside, and like him I wanted to finish out the story of Sarah).

They follow that up by having our character run directly behind an enemy, making quite the noticeable noise, without the enemy even noticing what just happened.

Also at least two enemies are left right there in the bright, open area. Without a care in the world that they will be found.

I'm sure this game will sell, but it's such a depressing sight from what the series used to be and it just isn't for me. I'm sure some may disagree with me, but it's my opinion and I'm choosing to show my feelings the only way gamers truly can, with their wallet.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I honestly couldn't make it halfway through the video. I could tell pretty quickly it still wasn't too my liking.

The helicopter searching around, flying right over people without them noticing was a head shaker. Then shooting someone with a sticky shocker directly in front of someone else without that other person noticing was definitely a no-no.

Then there was the sleeping gas, which knocked someone out and the patrolling guard doesn't seem to care his buddy just toppled over.

We're then introduced to the impossible speed climbing on the ledge. I had enough of that with Conviction (which I only put up with because it was still Ironside, and like him I wanted to finish out the story of Sarah).

They follow that up by having our character run directly behind an enemy, making quite the noticeable noise, without the enemy even noticing what just happened.

Also at least two enemies are left right there in the bright, open area. Without a care in the world that they will be found.

I'm sure this game will sell, but it's such a depressing sight from what the series used to be and it just isn't for me. I'm sure some may disagree with me, but it's my opinion and I'm choosing to show my feelings the only way gamers truly can, with their wallet.
    Dont panic, there is a "perfectionist" hardcore mode, which brings in more in line with traditional SC games...

That should keep you happy.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-17-2013 at 22:51.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    They don't care, you are but one and the new breed are many, you are just a drop in the ocean.
    Businesses thesedays don't care about existing customers, they just want to get more customers.
    Sometimes it comes back to bite them in the ass...a la Square-Enix
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Do they have a video of actually using this Perfectionist difficulty? They comment on not being able to see through walls... then we see through a floor. They comment on better AI through noise and them seeing you... then show the character running around for two seconds in daylight in front of two enemies before being seen, as well as the next clip where he is aiming over a wall and neither of the two guards looking right at him can see him.

Also, did the commentator really just say he was embracing their roots at the same time the character just blew up two people and then shot two others?

I also just learned it's supposed to be after Conviction (when they were telling me how much everyone loved Kobin). I thought they were going with his early days, thus part of the reason they went with a younger actor, so he could do more moves than an older Fisher/Ironside could do. Even in some pictures I saw there's no way the Sam Fisher of this game is anywhere near 55. Though I suppose that goes with the apparent interview where they want to make Sam Fisher similar to James Bond.

Sorry. I appreciate your attempt, but it seems that actually the more I pay attention to the game the more it lets me down. I probably could have gotten on board if it was a new agent or something and thus warranting of a complete retooling of the game, but no, not if we're still using Sam Fisher.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I think I'll be buying this used. Coming from 'The Last of Us' to this sort of A.I. is going to be painful.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Do they have a video of actually using this Perfectionist difficulty? They comment on not being able to see through walls... then we see through a floor. They comment on better AI through noise and them seeing you... then show the character running around for two seconds in daylight in front of two enemies before being seen, as well as the next clip where he is aiming over a wall and neither of the two guards looking right at him can see him.

Also, did the commentator really just say he was embracing their roots at the same time the character just blew up two people and then shot two others?

I also just learned it's supposed to be after Conviction (when they were telling me how much everyone loved Kobin). I thought they were going with his early days, thus part of the reason they went with a younger actor, so he could do more moves than an older Fisher/Ironside could do. Even in some pictures I saw there's no way the Sam Fisher of this game is anywhere near 55. Though I suppose that goes with the apparent interview where they want to make Sam Fisher similar to James Bond.

Sorry. I appreciate your attempt, but it seems that actually the more I pay attention to the game the more it lets me down. I probably could have gotten on board if it was a new agent or something and thus warranting of a complete retooling of the game, but no, not if we're still using Sam Fisher.

Perfectionist mode is probably something they cooked up last minute after reading that fans such as yourself are not too impressed by the run n gun gameplay. The new mode probably has not been implemented itnto the game yet and as such will probably play like it is a last minute bolt on rush job.

Thats what I think.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-18-2013 at 18:07.

Ultimate Veteran
    i hated whne the frist few splinter cell games where Stealth sneakig up on people and stuff just like metal gear these games got boreing fast

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

The video footage was recycled footage, not indicative of perfectionist mode.
    And yes the game is after Conviction, Sam is in charge. Too each his own, but considering my past escapades with Sam, Im not giving up on him just yet, I liked Conviction,but I loved Den. Ops mode. however. And I certainly will be playing this on perfectionist mode.

El Presidente
    I've got to agree with ttech10 on this one. There is no way in past SC games you could get away with moving that fast, in the mill gameplay, behind someone and not get caught. Agreed with pretty much everything he brought up.

He does not look or sound like he's 55 and this is supposed to occur after Conviction....just doesn't fit. Also just putting it out there, sonar goggles? Stupid. Way to coddle all the people who have never played a game in their life. Don't worry you don't have to move around and investigate, we'll just show you where all the enemies are with a click of a button. You need night vision, thermal and electromagnetic. None of this sonar crap.

I didn't see a light meter in there, do they have it? I mean it's pretty obvious when you are in the shadows but sometimes I might think I'm safe and then I look at the meter and it's not so.

Finally You Are Free
    Well, it does look better than Conviction. It seems to have a greater focus on stealth and shadows. But I still wish it was closer to how the original trilogy handled things. As pointed out, the AI just doesn't seem that aware of their surroundings.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Well that stinks. Last news I had read about it was that they were allowing for multiple methods to play the game, stealth still being one of them.
    Nowhere did anyone official say that this wasn't still the case. There are still multiple ways to play. They didn't take away the ability for stealth at all. There is plenty of media so far showcasing it as a matter of fact.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by shhhwing! View Post
    Nowhere did anyone official say that this wasn't still the case. There are still multiple ways to play. They didn't take away the ability for stealth at all. There is plenty of media so far showcasing it as a matter of fact.
    The problem, though, is stealth and original Splinter Cell gameplay seems to be an add-on to the game. Not the base.

Quotes like this aren't promising:
    By default, though, Splinter Cell: Blacklist offers a more "fluid, modern play-style", Raymond explained, which helps Fisher navigate the 3D environments without the need for as much interaction on the part of the player.

"You can climb up, do 3D navigation and jump over things without thinking too much or pressing buttons," Raymond said.
    Jade seems to think that past Splinter Cell games were too complex and difficult. She shouldn't have to say they "brought back the purest hardcore version" when talking about how the game is like the ones that made the franchise (which I still haven't seen this).

As they go on talking about and showing off the game, the more obvious it is they are taking a more casual and action based approach.

There is absolutely no way that this type of AI should be in a game. And it could be argued this isn't even the worst they've shown.

Apprentice
    The problem, though, is stealth and original Splinter Cell gameplay seems to be an add-on to the game. Not the base.

Quotes like this aren't promising:

Jade seems to think that past Splinter Cell games were too complex and difficult. She shouldn't have to say they "brought back the purest hardcore version" when talking about how the game is like the ones that made the franchise (which I still haven't seen this).

As they go on talking about and showing off the game, the more obvious it is they are taking a more casual and action based approach.

There is absolutely no way that this type of AI should be in a game. And it could be argued this isn't even the worst they've shown.
    1. you don't know what settings that clip is on, there could be way harder settings.
    2. jade may be trying to expand an audience that has traditionally privileged borderline autistic players who need extremely "realistic" gaming, which is understandable although maybe not desirable given the franchise history.

i've seen over the years ubi abandon stealth and i do disagree with them doing this, but i think that as we continue pressuring them they'll find a way to slip it back into their games. the name of the game for devs really is money, so as long as we show them that we demand more difficulty they'll eventually give it to us.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    As I said in my post, there is no way that type of AI should be in a game. Regardless of difficulty or game. He's completely right out in the open. In broad daylight. It's not even about difficulty at this point, it's about the terrible AI they've shown over and over and over again. From being blind to someone right in front of them to not being able to hear someone running, making noise right behind them.

Finally You Are Free
    I just replayed and beat Chaos Theory on expert mode the other night, and if you were in that situation presented in the .gif above, you'd already be dead. The AI in that game had no hesitation in searching for you and hunting you down, or opening fire on a viewable threat. Though, to be fair to that .gif, you can see the AI notice and begin to approach the player. So they're not completely incompetent.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I just replayed and beat Chaos Theory on expert mode the other night, and if you were in that situation presented in the .gif above, you'd already be dead. The AI in that game had no hesitation in searching for you and hunting you down, or opening fire on a viewable threat. Though, to be fair to that .gif, you can see the AI notice and begin to approach the player. So they're not completely incompetent.
    Go to the 2:10 mark on the video mynd posted, about the Legendary difficulty. They aren't approaching him, you can see further into the scene where the character ducks down and the enemies don't react to that. They are simply unaware the player is there.

And yea, I was playing Splinter Cell 1 earlier and as soon as an enemy could see me, he did, and he acted. I think I was playing on easy, too.

Apprentice
    so if what you say is true, the difficulty since SC 1 has been reduced. again, i see this as a marketing ploy to begin including more gamers who just go gaga over tv ads or whatever, and buy a game based on whatever feeling the marketing team successfully put into their limbic systems... while this seems to water down the game, change capitalism then. support open source developers or something. maybe the SC fanbase will shift, maybe ubisoft will make the "right" decision and bring more difficulty back if we demand it? i don't have a solution for you but i understand your frustration.

but again, i don't think that .gif is a TOTALITY of blacklist. the game, in general, looks very interesting to myself and tons of other gamers out there, all of which have diverse tastes and backgrounds in video games.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    I'm hoping this next gen shifts more away from shooters. That's what is mostly to blame for this change of play-style for Splinter Cell. They need to get away from catering to the shooter audience and focus more towards making their game unique.

I also don't think that Blacklist is that terrible of a game, it will likely be good. But as a Splinter Cell game, with the main character as Sam Fisher, it fails, in my eyes. I've said it a few times, but instead of piggy-backing off of past Splinter Cell success, they should just create a new IP. It seems that's what they really want to do, because from what I've seen, there are only hints of original Splinter Cell games in this new one and even less of Sam Fisher (I think his nephew stole his identity).

I get that people have their different game types they enjoy. It's why I don't judge people for enjoying COD games (I'm not a fan of them, nor will I buy them, but I will play them occasionally). This is more about them using the Splinter Cell name to try and keep loyal fans, while also creating a game that is far from what that name represents. I'm sure some people will think I'm crazy, but it's just how I feel.

Apprentice

Ultimately I'm banking on Perfectionist difficulty to crush any issues with the game being too easy.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This series died after Chaos Theory.
    Don't think it was ever alive. It was crap from the first one. They never did anything right except shadows.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Don't think it was ever alive. It was crap from the first one. They never did anything right except shadows.
    many SC games were good. you are hallucinating.

Thread Information