Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller

Splinter Cell Blacklist’s director: "Stealth is not a nice thing"

I think my decision on this new Splinter Cell was just confirmed.

Satisfying sequences of climbing, scoping, running and executing can unfurl effortlessly. Or as Redding puts it, “Once in a while the stars align and you get that perfect moment where you can just go ‘bang bang bang’, chain a bunch of moves together and dive out a window and disappear”. It’s all part of updating Splinter Cell to ensure an eleven year old series with six installments under its belt doesn’t feel old. “In terms of stealth action we’ve always wrestled with how do we stay fresh,” says Redding. “How do we evolve it and keep it something that mainstream players are interested in”.

Interestingly part of that evolution involves the unusual admittance that, “Stealth is not a nice thing”. Redding explains: “The majority of people know there’s a manageable period of time in which they’re either going to have to be patient or undetected or careful. It’s how you segment the action. You want to keep that loop, you don’t want that loop to run for half an hour or an hour, you want it to run for 5 or 10 minutes at a time to allow players to move into the next area and engage in some exploration. Games like Hitman, Dishonored and the Batman Arkham games are a good reflection of that approach and so we took those lessons to heart”.

Part of perfecting that loop is also getting the balance right. “What players don’t like is arbitrary or unfair failure,” Redding points out. “Nobody wants to feel like they’ve blundered. What you want to feel like is that you arrive in a situation and you can see why it’s challenging, where the threats are, and where you can take a calculated risk to get through a certain area”.
    Part of creating this fair and open experience is about creating a clear language within Splinter Cell’s environments. “You can see where the safe havens are,” explains Redding. “If you’re going to get from point to point without getting spotted, or, say, this would be great point to get up a defensive position if you want to try and go loud. There’s always that element of planning that we need to try and accommodate”.
    http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...-arkham-games/

Pretty much everything said that they needed to change is what people loved the previous ones for. You had to play smart and pay attention to your surroundings. Use your tools, such as the optic camera, sticky camera and other distractions to lure guards away from an area or to find out whats on the other side of the door or around the corner. We weren't given a map of the entire area and shown that "here, that's where your best route is". No, we used stealth to investigate areas and used multiple playthroughs to find out the best ways and new ways to do things. We enjoyed challenges and enjoyed knowing that one step and you're in danger. It was thrilling, it was exciting and it was what made the franchise.

They said it themselves, they need to make it easier, make it more mistake-friendly and allow much more action for the the mainstream crowd.

I really hope they can return to their roots, because I don't see myself picking it up if it keeps becoming more and more like an FPS.

2. Likes Foraeli, Shibby likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well that sucks. Why does every single $#@!ing game nowadays have to focus on action, shooting and just being Rambo? What was epic in past SC is no more. Farewell stealth.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I rarely used the gadgets in Splinter cell games and if I tried I could probably never need them without out too much effort.
    From what I remember (it has been a while) the levels were quite linear so no real need for a map, it was just move forwards.

Games have been dumbed down for a long time. Splinter cell isnt the first and will not be the last.

Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2013 at 22:26.

Friendship is Carrots
    This series died after Chaos Theory.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

6. Likes LegendaryAim, Shibby , Fijiandoce likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I rarely used the gadgets in Splinter cell games and if I tried I could probably never need them without out too much effort.
    From what I remember (it has been a while) the levels were quite linear so no real need for a map, it was just move forwards.

Games have been dumbed down for a long time. Splinter cell isnt the first and will not be the last.

I remember being relatively bad, so I usually used all the gizmos they gave me. It was still fun though, even when I did fail missions or was able to complete a mission even after screwing up.

As time went on though I got better and learned to play smart and had to rely less on them. I liked that about the past games, it took skill and you had to learn about the game. You couldn't just pick it up and instantly run through the levels.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Wait, so no stealth?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    So this went from a maybe buy to not at all

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Wait, so no stealth?
    They say there will still be stealth, they had that as part of a video a while back. They replayed the E3 demo in a stealth fashion instead of the pure action-killing.

Honestly though that demo was just running around in broad daylight with some of the least intelligent AI I've seen. You also have the 'show everything goggles' from Conviction, but on steroids.

So stealth can still be an option, but instead of it being the driving force of the game I think it's taking a back seat. The game is focused more on the shooting, killing and Rambo-ing rather than Sam Fisher-ing it up.

I really wouldn't mind if it it were a different title, but I'm not going to support it as a Splinter Cell game. I mean, what was once a game where you almost never shot your weapon is now being called an FPS by non-gaming focused news sites.

The newest Hitman game is more of a Splinter Cell game than Blacklist appears to be.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Being part of the hardcore demographic of any industry is always going to lead to an ass raping so soon as that industry becomes mainstream and businesses start attending to the biggest demographic. How many once hardcore games have we seen dumbed down to the lowest common denominator so that all the broshooter meat heads can understand? Everything now has godvision, regen health, simplified game mechanics focussed more on bang bang than thoughful gameplay.

12. Likes Fon , Sir_Scud , Shingo likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Being part of the hardcore demographic of any industry is always going to lead to an ass raping so soon as that industry becomes mainstream and businesses start attending to the biggest demographic. How many once hardcore games have we seen dumbed down to the lowest common denominator so that all the broshooter meat heads can understand? Everything now has godvision, regen health, simplified game mechanics focussed more on bang bang than thoughful gameplay.
    Preach

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

El Presidente
    Is there some way I can write directly to developers and complain about their games? I wouldn't just do it with this game but others that I am not satisfied with. The voice actor of Sam now just sounds like an average every day kind of guy, which is a minor thing but I liked Sam's voice. I will play a Splinter Cell game when they go back to the way it used to be, which probably means never again.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Is there some way I can write directly to developers and complain about their games? I wouldn't just do it with this game but others that I am not satisfied with. The voice actor of Sam now just sounds like an average every day kind of guy, which is a minor thing but I liked Sam's voice. I will play a Splinter Cell game when they go back to the way it used to be, which probably means never again.
    They don't care, you are but one and the new breed are many, you are just a drop in the ocean.
    Businesses thesedays don't care about existing customers, they just want to get more customers.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    For every one of us they lose, they gain another 5. This is where I give props to IO/Square Enix (despite still having a game breaking bug). They returned David Bateson. They gave us Purist mode. They gave us "free" Contracts mode. Unlike other devs they listened to their fan base.

Sam Fisher isn't Sam Fisher if there is no Ironside. Part of me would actually consider getting Blacklist if Ironside was still on... that's half the reason I got Conviction. Then I at least felt some connection to the character. Agent 47 is quite different than the Agent 47 I new years ago, but he still sounds the same and he still goes about traversing locations un-noticed, disrupting only his targets.

David Hayter is Solid Snake. David Bateson is Agent 47. Michael Ironside is Sam Fisher. And Liam Neeson is my dad. Please don't try to change that gaming industry. I'm set in my ways, just as the late, great Peter Boyle is about his records in Everybody Loves Raymond. You may think your new actor is better, but no... he isn't.

PS: Is there a certain place I pick up my 'Fanboy of the Year' award?

17. Likes Admartian likes this post
    El Presidente
    @ttech10

I agree. Its a minor thing but I get attached to particular voice actors because they are as much a part of the character I love as anything else.

@keefy

Even so writing in would make me feel better. Whether they read it or not getting what I think out there would be relieving. I don't like what's you're doing to this game and I think it sucks.

Sure I'm voicing my opinion right here on this website and this is no small time site I don't believe. People read the main page and this forum but let's face it, I can make a new thread and voice everything I don't like about video games today but who, outside of actual forum members and maybe a few drifters who browse this forum but don't sign up, will see it?

If I knew that after I sent a letter to whoever, that it was indeed read I would continue to send them. Sure they could see that it's from this same guy again and just toss in the trash but you get a ton of people who continually send letters complaining about their games and even if they don't DO anything they must clearly know a bunch of people are upset.

It makes me feel better because at least I'm trying to do something by sending letters and not purchasing their games. Instead of complaining about it on a forum that no developer will ever see or read. Take my complaints to their mailbox right outside their front door. To me that's better than wallowing in sadness saying 'Oh! Where are the games of old? They're all dead and ruined now!'
    Last edited by podsaurus; 04-13-2013 at 16:24.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    For every one of us they lose, they gain another 5. This is where I give props to IO/Square Enix (despite still having a game breaking bug). They returned David Bateson. They gave us Purist mode. They gave us "free" Contracts mode. Unlike other devs they listened to their fan base.

Sam Fisher isn't Sam Fisher if there is no Ironside. Part of me would actually consider getting Blacklist if Ironside was still on... that's half the reason I got Conviction. Then I at least felt some connection to the character. Agent 47 is quite different than the Agent 47 I new years ago, but he still sounds the same and he still goes about traversing locations un-noticed, disrupting only his targets.

David Hayter is Solid Snake. David Bateson is Agent 47. Michael Ironside is Sam Fisher. And Liam Neeson is my dad. Please don't try to change that gaming industry. I'm set in my ways, just as the late, great Peter Boyle is about his records in Everybody Loves Raymond. You may think your new actor is better, but no... he isn't.

PS: Is there a certain place I pick up my 'Fanboy of the Year' award?
    Ironside felt like he had done everything with the character, so it was him who decided not to voice Sam. However, they really screwed up with the replacement, it's really generic.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Power Member
    I cnt find anything that suggests Ironside turned it down but lots that Ubisoft let him go.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I cnt find anything that suggests Ironside turned it down but lots that Ubisoft let him go.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Int...ist-47673.html

Also, I remember him saying in an interview that he wanted to quit after Double Agent, but he thought he could do a new take on Sam in Conviction and then leave it at that.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSN ID
    qotsa_90
    Pretty sure I heard that Ironside didn't like the direction Fisher's character was going and thus pulled out.

Power Member
    Yet according to the links provided he is narrating the game but not as Fisher.
    Plus if the guy that voices your main character doesn't like the direction they are taking shouldnt that raise alarm bells?

But i guess that goes back to my point of thy dotn give a $#@! about existing fans.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-13-2013 at 22:13.

24. Likes Admartian likes this post

PSN ID
    qotsa_90
    Yeah I hope this game flops big style! Got every chance as GTA V and Saints Row are released either side.

Apprentice
    Agreed GTA5 will crush Splinter Cell and detract sales. I personally don't have a problem with the 'water cooler' stealth in games. Do a 10-15 minute segment of stealth, 3-5 mins of action then a little low point of exploring etc ala Tomb Raider Reboot

Feel Free to Add Me on PSN

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Ironside felt like he had done everything with the character, so it was him who decided not to voice Sam. However, they really screwed up with the replacement, it's really generic.
    I remember reading that, but he decided to leave based off of what they were doing to the franchise. He no longer wanted to be a part what they turned Sam Fisher into, so I still kind of see it as their fault as to why he isn't Sam Fisher.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    Well that sucks. Why does every single $#@!ing game nowadays have to focus on action, shooting and just being Rambo? What was epic in past SC is no more. Farewell stealth.
    Marketing. You go for the LCD (lowest common denominator).

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Lol! A game that was started based solely on stealth loses its identity. Might as well drop the name itself.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

30. Likes podsaurus likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Well that stinks. Last news I had read about it was that they were allowing for multiple methods to play the game, stealth still being one of them. I love stealth action games far more than run 'n' gun.

Thread Information