Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

Question about the Super Slim PS3.

I'm going to most likely be getting a Super Slim PS3 tonight and wanted everyone's opinion on it. I used to own the original PS3, and haven't owned a PS3 since then. I switched to Xbox 360 and have finally grown sick of paying for Xbox Live, so I'm getting rid of it and going back to the Playstation. I was a HUGE fan of the PS3 Slim, however, I really like how the new Super Slim model looks.

I've read a couple reviews where it states that the system feels cheap. Is that true? Is there any other annoying things about the Super Slim I should know about? I play video games daily and I want to make sure this is a good choice for me.

Thank you.

PSN Gamertag: Kertiously

PS4 Coming Soon

XBL Gamertag: VoKeM

Xbox One Day One Member

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like me. I stopped paying for Live too. Anyway I have the 500gig Super Slim and I like it. The disc drive is a bit noisy when you first boot a game but after that I dont really hear it anymore. Alot of people here dont care for the top loaded disc tray but I actually like it. I also like how small the unit is. I'm happy with it but your milage may vary.

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Items Baby ChocoboGhost in the ShellLightningTidusAtlus
    I got the white one and I've owned every generation of the PlayStation 3 at one point or another, and I must say that THIS is my favorite version. Some people will complain that the disk tray/top plastic part feels cheap and pasticy, but push those nay-sayers aside as this is a great console and looks superb aswell. Which color were you planning on getting? Personally, I love the white (hence why I own one) but the Blue (not sure if North America has it yet but Europe does) is also dead sexy. Not a fan of the red, but the Black is also nice.
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

Superior Member
    I'm a new owner of the SS PS3 and I just wanted to point out a thing or two..if you keep the PS3 in a shelf where there's not much room it's kinda hard to line up the Blu-ray Disc with the PS3 tray inside not to mention dark so hard to see just which disc is in the system.

Nothing to say not buy the SS over but just something that stuck out for me.

As far as the feel? What's it matter? Only time you'll be moving it is to clean around it a console isn't meant to tugged around..so the feel doesn't matter and honestly I didn't even think about how it feels.

But the Xbox Live thing brings up a question I been wondering about for PSN..I got the Uncharted 3 bundle and to play online I had to enter in a key code ..what happens if I buy a USED game that the code is gone or been used already? Would I have to pay Sony for a new key code to play online?

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTMIKE View Post
    I'm a new owner of the SS PS3 and I just wanted to point out a thing or two..if you keep the PS3 in a shelf where there's not much room it's kinda hard to line up the Blu-ray Disc with the PS3 tray inside not to mention dark so hard to see just which disc is in the system.

Nothing to say not buy the SS over but just something that stuck out for me.

As far as the feel? What's it matter? Only time you'll be moving it is to clean around it a console isn't meant to tugged around..so the feel doesn't matter and honestly I didn't even think about how it feels.

But the Xbox Live thing brings up a question I been wondering about for PSN..I got the Uncharted 3 bundle and to play online I had to enter in a key code ..what happens if I buy a USED game that the code is gone or been used already? Would I have to pay Sony for a new key code to play online?
    Yes.

Superior Member
    :/

How much are those?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    $10/8 each I believe. They're on PSN and are called 'Online Passes'.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Superior Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I got the Super Slim and so far I really do like it. It's very light and looks really nice in my TV stand. To whoever asked me about the color, I got black. I got the 250GB Uncharted 3 bundle. I used to LOVE Uncharted and had to jump on this bundle as soon as I saw it.

I'll post more feedback on the system after a few days of using it.

PS4 Coming Soon

Xbox One Day One Member

Extreme Poster
    Now take off the next week and close your door.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap3rThin View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I got the Super Slim and so far I really do like it. It's very light and looks really nice in my TV stand. To whoever asked me about the color, I got black. I got the 250GB Uncharted 3 bundle. I used to LOVE Uncharted and had to jump on this bundle as soon as I saw it. I'll post more feedback on the system after a few days of using it.
    Congrats on your purchase.

Master Guru
    I don't have a super slim PS3 but i'm sure it's a solid console. I just don't like that lame top loading disc tray lol. Feels like a step backwards.

Superior Member
    The top loading disc is kinda good in a way..one less mechinal part to go wrong as its a push button lid that slides to reveal the disc tray.

Apprentice
    I got my super slim on Wednesday. I absolutely love it. The disc tray is cool and love the blue colour on it. Please tell us what colour you got and whether you like it. Returning to the PS3 is something I've recently done from WiiU and I'm addicted again

Feel Free to Add Me on PSN

Superior Member
    I've now owned the Super Slim console for about 3 days now I believe, and just wanted to post some feedback on it.

The disc tray gets noisy when I'm playing a game online (i.e. - Black Ops 2, MW3), however it's whisper quiet when I'm playing a campaign (i.e. - Uncharted 3).

When I first started playing Black Ops 2, I had to download an update for the game. After downloading the update, the game would just not load. I had to reboot my system 3 times before the game finally started to work. I did some research on this because I thought about bringing back the PS3 and exchanging it for another model, however, I'm not the only person that's experienced this problem. People who own the original PS3 and the Slim PS3 have had the same issues. The good news is though, ever since that happened to me, it hasn't happened again. Crossing my fingers and I'm hoping it was only a one time thing.

Next thing, I downloaded the demo for God of War Ascension, and after downloading it, I booted it up and got to the menu where you press X to start the demo. The demo would just not load for me. I rebooted the PS3 twice and it seemed to fix the problem. Hopefully this won't happen again the next time I download a demo.

Other then those minor issues, the Super Slim has been great. My old Xbox 360 Slim (which I sold, btw) would give off so much heat, that after gaming for a couple hours the heat would begin annoying me. The PS3 Super Slim, however, gives off almost little to no heat at all and I love that! The disc loading tray isn't as cheap and annoying as I've read in article on various websites - I actually enjoy it a lot. The overall size of this machine is incredible too, I love that it's so compact and fits perfect in my TV stand. I'm also a big fan of not having to stress about the annoying power brick that the 360 has, instead just having one simple cable to power up this beast.

So far, I give this console a solid 9.5/10. If I ever have any other issues with the system or have some more feedback, I'll make sure to post it here!

PS4 Coming Soon

Xbox One Day One Member

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    First three days and youve had to reboot 5 times, it has already started making noise. These are stressing things that remind you of the death of your console. The looks shouldnt matter much tbh...it shouldnt be a suprise that it can play games...but congrats with the purchase anyway!

PSN ID
    Albavenger
    I do not recommend it. I bought the Assassin's Creed III 500GB model and it just does not run games as well as my Slim PS3 did. Mass Effect 3 was not playable toward the end due to severe frame rate drops and I had to restart the console several times for other games. (I've beaten Mass Effect 3 on my old PS3 with not a single issue) I loved my old slim, shame it broke :'(. The Super Slim also randomly freezes even on the XMB.

Superior Member
    I've had no problems on my super slim ..as far disc load noise if it has made any noise I haven't heard it over the surround sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Pap3rThin View Post
    I've now owned the Super Slim console for about 3 days now I believe, and just wanted to post some feedback on it.

The disc tray gets noisy when I'm playing a game online (i.e. - Black Ops 2, MW3), however it's whisper quiet when I'm playing a campaign (i.e. - Uncharted 3).

When I first started playing Black Ops 2, I had to download an update for the game. After downloading the update, the game would just not load. I had to reboot my system 3 times before the game finally started to work. I did some research on this because I thought about bringing back the PS3 and exchanging it for another model, however, I'm not the only person that's experienced this problem. People who own the original PS3 and the Slim PS3 have had the same issues. The good news is though, ever since that happened to me, it hasn't happened again. Crossing my fingers and I'm hoping it was only a one time thing.

Next thing, I downloaded the demo for God of War Ascension, and after downloading it, I booted it up and got to the menu where you press X to start the demo. The demo would just not load for me. I rebooted the PS3 twice and it seemed to fix the problem. Hopefully this won't happen again the next time I download a demo.

Other then those minor issues, the Super Slim has been great. My old Xbox 360 Slim (which I sold, btw) would give off so much heat, that after gaming for a couple hours the heat would begin annoying me. The PS3 Super Slim, however, gives off almost little to no heat at all and I love that! The disc loading tray isn't as cheap and annoying as I've read in article on various websites - I actually enjoy it a lot. The overall size of this machine is incredible too, I love that it's so compact and fits perfect in my TV stand. I'm also a big fan of not having to stress about the annoying power brick that the 360 has, instead just having one simple cable to power up this beast.

So far, I give this console a solid 9.5/10. If I ever have any other issues with the system or have some more feedback, I'll make sure to post it here!
    About black ops, I heard there was a problem with one of the updates for the ps3 version. So its probably just that.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information