Thread: ps vita gaikai

ps vita gaikai

do you think we will see a gaikai on ps vita or on a ps vita successor which will allow us to play ps3 ps2 ps1 and psp games through streaming ? Or would you like to see this ?

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    I personally don't think so as the vita is a portable device and you won't always be somewhere with Internet when you want to use it. Therefore to use it effectively you wouldn't be able to go anywhere without a solid Internet connection and so it wouldn't be portable.
    I can read your thoughts.

What if they made one with 4g then it should have a strong enough connection to stream games

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    I suppose in that case it may be a possibility but it would rely on people being willing to pay for the amount of data they use while using the service.

What if you could download them permanently to your ps vita ?
    And in theory could the ps vita handle ps3 games ?

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    I think being able to download games and play them offline and then just have to connect every certain number of days so it can check you are still subscribed to the service would work quite well yes.

I'm don't think that the vita would be able to cope with ps3 games but I could be wrong.

i personally think it could make the ps vita the ultimate handheld console if it worked. That being said i'd say one way they could try to make ps3 games work would be through an emulator but i could be wrong.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    It wouldnt be possible. Gaikai is a streaming service, not a file database. It wont happen. The bandwidth you would need would far exceed 4G and the amount of data that would be used would be insanely high. This is probably why they only mentioned it for the PS4. With Remote play i could see this working well, but even then it would still be processed by the PS4 and then sent to the PSVita. That said, its a service that requires a constant connection so having it on a portable handheld, probably a lot more effort than it would be worth. suppose youre playing on a bus, and you go into a spot where you dont get service, you get disconnected, dont get a chance to save your progress, and next time you have access to it, youre back at the last place you saved a game. Incredibly frustrating. This isnt going to be something that happens.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

Elite Guru
    The Vita can run PS3 code but you still need to optimize it for different hardware and lower the polygon count in models. Unless a PS3 game comes prepacked with a lower resolution model and modified code there's no way you can easily run PS3 games on it.

The vita has wifi, there's no reason you can't use Gaikai through it, also they said that this whole Gaikai thing was intended to bring Playstation games to multiple platforms including tablets via streaming, so if they can handle streaming games the vita can too. That's not to say it'll be feasible to play these game either way of course. Streamed content is subject to dropped packets of data, and inconsistent internet infrastructure so even if 4g and wifi are fast enough to stream the content to your devices chances are they'll be laggy and irritating to play. Supposedly they have a way to reduce the lag but that flies in the face of more than a decade of the universal understanding of what the internet is which would effectively make them wizards casting magic spells to circumvent the general laws of physics.

10. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    yet they announced you can play PS4 game with remote play ... so the PS Vita has to receive the signal from smoewhere to streeam it, right? so not by 4G but by Wifi I guess that's what Sony has in mind

[QUOTE=TheTenth666;6067790]yet they announced you can play PS4 game with remote play ... i know that could happen what i'm asking is do you think it could stream a ps3 game without the need for a ps3 not through remote play

on a somewhat related note what ps1/2/3 games would you like to see on vita ?

Forum Guru
    There is nothing that would prevent Gakai working on Vita.
    The current remote play is very similar on how it works. (another machine works as a server which receives input from client and sends compressed video stream to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
    The Vita can run PS3 code but you still need to optimize it for different hardware and lower the polygon count in models. Unless a PS3 game comes prepacked with a lower resolution model and modified code there's no way you can easily run PS3 games on it.
    No, it really cant.
    It's completely different platform, so you need in minimum full recompile. (most likely a lot more than that.)

Graphical assets are completely different things, you can make c64 display assets if you have enough memory for it. (yes, it will be slow. )
    Last edited by jlippone; 04-22-2013 at 06:57.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Its possible, and would be decent for people who missed out on older games. I wouldn't use it. I prefer to actually own my games.

Only real issue is that peoples Internet might not be good enough

16. Likes Fedos likes this post

would it be easier for sony to adapt the code then port it onto a vita game card ?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    If Sony has any brains they'll try put Gakai on everything they can. Thin clients on the user end is the whole point of a cloud gaming service. If the Vita can remote play games streamed from a console it can stream from Gakai.

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Its possible, and would be decent for people who missed out on older games. I wouldn't use it. I prefer to actually own my games.

Only real issue is that peoples Internet might not be good enough
    Yeah I agree with this. If they go the gaikai route for the Vita then they'll probably stop putting games on PSN that you can download. I'd much rather own my games, even if they are downloaded.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedos View Post
    Yeah I agree with this. If they go the gaikai route for the Vita then they'll probably stop putting games on PSN that you can download. I'd much rather own my games, even if they are downloaded.
    okay but do you think sony will ever go the route of making ALL their games downloadable on ALL their consoles cause that would be awesome
    or at least all platinum games ??
    Last edited by brenno99; 04-23-2013 at 21:14.

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by brenno99 View Post
    okay but do you think sony will ever go the route of making ALL their games downloadable on ALL their consoles cause that would be awesome
    or at least all platinum games ??
    Well, they do it alot with the PS3 and Vita now. I mainly want them to put up more JRPGs for the PS1 and 2. And I think one of the reasons why we haven't been getting many new updates of the classics is because they are planning to charge a fee with gaikai.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

for example if the ratchet and clank games went platinum on ps2 or ps3 (which a fair few of them are) they would then proceed to make them downloadable to vita

Good news people unless i heard wrong gaikai WILL be coming to ps vita sometime next year.

Thread Information