View Poll Results: Where do you stand on Call of Duty in the next-generation?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to see a MAJOR overhaul of the franchise

11 73.33%
  • I would love to see some MINOR changes to the franchise

4 26.67%
  • Stick to the current formula

0 0%
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX

PSU Community Poll: Next-Gen Call of Duty

Six years ago now, Activision and Infinity Ward released Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which unveiled a multiplayer mode that would become the standard for online first-person shooters to the present day. Activision has won awards and experienced record sales with each successive Call of Duty release, sticking to this money-making formula with only minor tweaks and additions along the way.

The likelihood that this formula will change when the next-generation comes around is low, but nevertheless the next-generation holds a lot of promise for the FPS franchise in terms of features, graphics, capabilities, etc.

In the event that Activision and Call of Duty developers were looking to make changes, big or small, to the franchise in the next-generation, what changes would you like to see? Please be specific!

Also, I've placed a little poll above to gauge where you guys stand.

EDIT: For clarification -

MAJOR changes refers to changes in the time period of the game, the online structure, etc.

MINOR changes refer to things like the number of guns offered, the number of maps, expansions, and so on.
    Last edited by Steve; 04-14-2013 at 17:48.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Apprentice
    I'd have to say dedicated servers. Surely there've made enough money to warrant it for the best selling franchise on PS3. I would love that, to fix the hit detection and lag compensation BS. So I'm saying major overhaul. I like the Xp system and I like the structure of the maps/ season pass.

Its going to look amazing, I'm praying for BF4 graphics (17min demo) as the multiplayer graphics
    Last edited by The Anderlation; 04-14-2013 at 17:49.

Feel Free to Add Me on PSN

3. Likes Steve likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The call of duty formula is like a famous pancake recipe at a local restaurant. People who like it will keep coming back until they stop making the pancakes, and people who don't, will eat their favorite pancakes and argue which is the best.

To change a popular formula runs that risk of isolating COD fans who loved the formula, with the justification of trying to appeal to both sides of the argument. Its simple, if you don't like COD, then find another FPS to play, god knows there are a lot out there to play.

Minor changes will be made to keep the formula from stagnating, but it will be kept in all its award winning glory until gamers stop buying it, which will happen on the same day that hell freezes over. My only hope for the future of COD is that it stirs up the formula just enough for me to justify purchasing it.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    The gameplay is fine, they just need to work on the visuals really.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    All good points being made, and I agree. Like I said in the original post, the likelihood of anything substantial actually changing is very slim. In this thread I'm looking more at "what if..." scenarios. What are some changes Activision could hypothetically make that would be awesome for the next generation of the franchise?

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Major overhaul or no buy.

Gameplay should stay the same as its so fluid and almost perfect for an FPS, but design choices on the levels, stories, settings, its all getting old. Maybe more open levels with actual vehicles not just scripted scenes

Forum Overseer
    All I want is an MMO and I won't even touch other shooters. If they could just do an MMO, I'd love it.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    All I want is an MMO and I won't even touch other shooters. If they could just do an MMO, I'd love it.
    Yeah, a MMO FPS would be excellent. I was very hopeful and excited about MAG, but we all know how that one turned out.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I would love to see major changes to the series, but we all know that's not going to happen until the record breaking sales start to decline rapidly. They make too much money off the series to radically change it to the point where they gamble losing their giant base in efforts to change the formula.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I would love to see major changes to the series, but we all know that's not going to happen until the record breaking sales start to decline rapidly. They make too much money off the series to radically change it to the point where they gamble losing their giant base in efforts to change the formula.
    What are some specific changes you'd like to see?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Yeah, a MMO FPS would be excellent. I was very hopeful and excited about MAG, but we all know how that one turned out.
    Yea, we don't talk about that one. Sony had so many chances to really show what the PS3 was all about...we should've seen many more MMOs...even the PS2 had Everquest and that's better than any MMO on the PS3.

Thread Information