anyone else stopped using your cellphone?

So I've ALWAYS hated having a cellphone and I used to keep it always turned off unless i wanted to make a call, then turn it back off again. Not surprisingly my friends got annoyed they could never reach me so they'd ask why did i even have a cellphone if I never use it? I thought about it, and around 70% of the day I'm in wifi coverage so why can't I just use my tablet and skype? I DID ending up buying a prepaid phone which was 100min for $10 and expires after 120 days and I used that until last november when it expired and I just didn't feel like renewing it. I'd barely used it at all, and i had an unactivated top-up card handy for emergencies. I dont do many phonecalls (as youve probably gathered) and wifi is mostly free so it seems like an obvious choice for me.
    Does anyone else do something similar? i technically have a cellphone in my possession but it doesn't work since its expired and I really don't see any point in reactivating it until there's an emergency situation.

Forum Guru
    I always have a cellphone with me and it's always on.
    So if I need to make a call or if someone really needs to call me, they are able to do so.

Thing is that those requirements are rarely met and I usually make less than five calls within a week. (and receive less.)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I couldn't live without my phone, its my connection to my friends and without that social aspect my life would be pretty depressing.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Unbound Mercenary
    I have a cheap ass pay-as-go phone, and use it very rarely, if ever. I'm not into texting and other $#@! like that, if I want to talk, I'll call and in a 5 minute conversation, solve something that would have taken like 15 text messages. smh
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I don't get it. :/ If you are so comfortable with using a tablet and Skype what is it you don't like about a cellphone? Is it the contract costs?
    Smartphones nowadays are like small tablets with cellular capability which is in essence exactly what Skype does, communication.
    Just on a different network.
    Last edited by MjW; 04-15-2013 at 12:53.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    I have a cheap ass pay-as-go phone, and use it very rarely, if ever. I'm not into texting and other $#@! like that, if I want to talk, I'll call and in a 5 minute conversation, solve something that would have taken like 15 text messages. smh
    I'm the complete opposite I find phone calls induce pointless conversations. If i want quick information I text.

Saying that i probably make about 150 minutes of calls a month but send well over 2000 texts a month

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    i make over 400 phone calls a month i get over idk 20 calls a day i send over 3k texts msgs a month and get around 5k msgs

yep i cant turn it off

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Never went to the extreme of switching the phone on only when I want to make a call.

I don't like skype, sound quality sucks, some online frends use it to communicate in BF3 (since BF3 doesnt have VOIP) but when someone calls the group it minimises the game.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    With actually making calls with my cellphone, I maybe do 100 mins/month (not much of a phone talker), I mostly text and use the data connection. I think that is why I lot of carriers here are going with unlimited calls/texting now with their phone packages, most people use the data and since bandwidth speeds have been increasing with 4G LTE, etc. the usage is doing nothing but going up so that is why we are now on tiered data plans instead of unlimited like it us to be.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    I have an unlimited data plan I only pay 12.50 a month for 300 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. Last month I used over 7GB of data alone

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    raremew
    Items Linkin ParkUser name style
    Well I kinda stopped. I rarely use it as is. Maybe to text my mom, or call friends at times. but i really dont have anyone to text anyway. i mean i have alot of mins on my phone but im kinda anti-social..so i dont really text to talk much.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    I have an unlimited data plan I only pay 12.50 a month for 300 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. Last month I used over 7GB of data alone
    Is 7GB alot? I see the ads on TV saying "200MB data" and comparing to what we use on a PC or whatever its a pathetically low amount.

Forum Sage
    7GB is a fair amount of data to be using on a handset over 3G. I stream a lot of video (YouTube Netflix, BBC iPlayer, CatchUpTV ect) to my phone when i'm either at work or out and about. I also download files on to my phone.

If you're just checking emails and stuff like that then 200MB should be enough, i'd use 200MB in a day or 2 easily though.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I just got a Pantech cellphone a few days ago.

I got a cell phone because I needed one. I travel quite a bit and need to get in touch with people. It's also better to make long distance calls from my cell than the house phone.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Thread Information