Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Do we have any college students on PSU?

Any college students on PSU? What's your current major and your final goal in college? What would you say to current high school students about to enter college? What kind of advice would you give them?

Me:

Major: Biology
    Current GPA: 3.59
    Goal: To apply to Dental School, get accepted, and become a Dentist

Advice for high school students:
    Always be aware of your financial aid if you live in the U.S. and receive pell grants. Too many credit hours can make you ineligible so pick your classes you take wisely. W's count against your federal aid as well.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Major: Film & Television Production (Adv Diploma)

Current GPA: Ok, could be better.

Goal: To get into post-production editing, sound editing and eventually to direct my own feature film in Hollywood. Dream Job? I wanna travel and film all over the world. The cultures, foods and values of almost every country and make a documentary out of that. And shoot with the IMAX camera, no less.

Make up your goddamn mind fast and stick with it. ALWAYS have a Plan B and possibly a Plan C. But if you get into Plan A. Stick with it, don't change your mind and certainly DO NOT take your study for granted. There are a handful of people in my program that do this and are struggling to make it through because they are lazy, assholes or just there for the sake of being there or taking a course. Because the beauty of these type of programs is that they weed out the losers from the winners. We actually have a policy that if you skip or come late for any class more than four times, you might be kicked out of the program. And this is because we have some huge productions coming up and we need reliable people on our crew, not people we need to depend our grades, money and time on that won't show up because of some silly excuse.

Anyway, the point is, make up your mind about your career goal/dream and stick with it. Do what it takes and what you think is right. Do not listen to other people, follow your dream, work your ass off and you will reap the rewards. Always have a Plan B and possibly a Plan C to fall back on. My Plan B was Travel and I got into that type of course quite easily, but I got into Plan A so I took that. Always take that route.

And finally, work your ass off to get where you want to be. Hard work will pay off for you. It might take a few years, or even a decade, but it WILL HAPPEN. The rest is up to you.

/rant&advice
    Last edited by Lebowski; 04-15-2013 at 19:57.

Unbound Mercenary
    Major: Business Administration
    GPA: 3.83
    Goal: To graduate, and get a better job. lol
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Friendship is Carrots
    Major: I never could decide on what to do. I was stuck between math, computer science, history, and geography, but could never come to a decision.
    GPA: I have no idea. Probably decent, sitting in the 2.5-3.0 range.
    Goal: I was forced into college by my mother, so I never had a real goal in mind besides just learning what I can. The idea of getting a degree was in place, but I never really cared too much.

I can't say I have any real advice for anyone in high-school. It would probably be bad advice for them as my perspective on things is so different from the norm.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Major: Film & Television Production (Adv Diploma)

Current GPA: Ok, could be better.

Goal: To get into post-production editing, sound editing and eventually to direct my own feature film in Hollywood. Dream Job? I wanna travel and film all over the world. The cultures, foods and values of almost every country and make a documentary out of that. And shoot with the IMAX camera, no less.

Make up your goddamn mind fast and stick with it. ALWAYS have a Plan B and possibly a Plan C. But if you get into Plan A. Stick with it, don't change your mind and certainly DO NOT take your study for granted. There are a handful of people in my program that do this and are struggling to make it through because they are lazy, assholes or just there for the sake of being there or taking a course. Because the beauty of these type of programs is that they weed out the losers from the winners. We actually have a policy that if you skip or come late for any class more than four times, you might be kicked out of the program. And this is because we have some huge productions coming up and we need reliable people on our crew, not people we need to depend our grades, money and time on that won't show up because of some silly excuse.

Anyway, the point is, make up your mind about your career goal/dream and stick with it. Do what it takes and what you think is right. Do not listen to other people, follow your dream, work your ass off and you will reap the rewards. Always have a Plan B and possibly a Plan C to fall back on. My Plan B was Travel and I got into that type of course quite easily, but I got into Plan A so I took that. Always take that route.

And finally, work your ass off to get where you want to be. Hard work will pay off for you. It might take a few years, or even a decade, but it WILL HAPPEN. The rest is up to you.

/rant&advice
    That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much longer til you graduate?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

PSU Technical Advisor
    Me. Though I'm about to graduate in 3 months.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much longer til you graduate?
    Two more years after this semester. We have a internship term, so it's win-win. And I actually might be getting an internship after this semester at a company that just opened this year in Toronto. If all goes well, this could really help me in the future greatly.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I was a college student until about 2 years ago.

Major: Finance
    GPA: 3.7

My goal was to find a good job where I could apply stuff learned in my major. Fast forward to today, very happy to say that I achieved that goal and continuously growing my career as a Finance professional.

El Presidente
    Major: Geography
    GPA: 3.67
    goal: honest to god I dunno! I'm doing the watershed concentration within the major and an environmental science minor as well. Lake Erie I know has problems so maybe stay local here and help to clean it up? Then I don't know. Whatever I can do to improve one small corner of the world would satisfy me or do something big, whichever is in reach for me.

Advice: As Dre said try to make up your mind quickly. High schools don't prepare you at all. In the last month I changed from History to Geography because I was sick of history. I still love to learn about it but realized this won't get me anywhere. What do history majors do for the most part? Teach....I DONT want to teach. I won't graduate next spring which will have been four years. I'll be done in two more years after the current one. Which is fine with me. I'm doing something I genuinely care about and that's my advice. Do what you care about and love above all else!
    Last edited by podsaurus; 04-16-2013 at 03:58.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Not in 7 years lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Major: Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics specialization)
    GPA: 3.92

Goals: Like every average person....get a career in my field once I'm done?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    The next piece of advice is what has been said many times. If you love what you're doing, it's not a job.

13. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    The next piece of advice is what has been said many times. If you love what you're doing, it's not a job.
    Freaking this!!!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    My major is Criminal Justice
    I just started and am about to finish my first term

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thread Information