Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Poster
    Items User name style
    One more PSN recommendation; Arc the Lad 3.

I never played Arc the Lad 1 and 2 (the sprites just look too chibi/deformed for my tastes), but I didn't feel I really needed it when I played the 3rd one.

2. Likes Gers likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gersfc View Post
    You love those NES JRPGs lol why do you recommend Dragon Quest III more than anything?
    It's regarded as the best RPG on NES and one of the best RPGs ever, it even has a freakin day and night system! :O

Was pretty cool back then though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    It's regarded as the best RPG on NES and one of the best RPGs ever, it even has a freakin day and night system! :O

Was pretty cool back then though.
    I downloaded a NES emulator so I may just check it out. A Day and night system back then must have been a pretty unique idea at that time

PSN ID: gersfc

Twitter ID: gers_PSU
    Twitch ID: 19gers87
    Youtube Channel: gers87fc

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    You should really softmod your Wii if you have one if you don't like playing on PC (same with me).
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Items Protect yourselfFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVAtlusTidusAuronFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I have a Wii and was going to do that, but my bro said something about needing specific games for it to work properly? Didn't read up on it to see if true

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    No it's one of the easiest consoles to mod since you don't need to open it or anything and all you're retail discs will still work etc.

Can't really tell you in this thread since it's against the rules but just google 'LetterBomb' and follow the instructions. You can PM me if you want or whatever, or you could just play on your PC but it is better with a Wii Classic Controller or whatever.

8. Likes Gers likes this post
    Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc

RPG Recommendations

Thanks! I'l read up on it man but expect a PM lol

Edit: Just had to buy an SD card of eBay as can't find the one I had, but when it arrives I'l give it a go
    Last edited by Gers; 04-16-2013 at 19:08.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Been hearing some good things about Suikoden, think that will be my next purchase. Also glad to see Breath of Fire IV get a mention, forgot I bought this game years ago and found it last week lol

You love those NES JRPGs lol why do you recommend Dragon Quest III more than anything?
    Suikoden 2 is my favourite game of all-time, not just RPG but ANY game.

Hit up the entire Suikoden series as well as Parasite Eve for some overlooked series. If you like SRPGs then check out Brigandine as well and Azure Dreams.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post

Hit up the entire Suikoden series as well as Parasite Eve for some overlooked series. If you like SRPGs then check out Brigandine as well and Azure Dreams.
    Suikoden 2 needs to be on PSN. Otherwise getting it for PSOne will be heavy on the wallet.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Suikoden 2 needs to be on PSN. Otherwise getting it for PSOne will be heavy on the wallet.
    If it came to PSN with trophies I would re-buy the entire collection in an instant to plat all the games.

Master Poster
    Items User name style

I hope Brigandine comes to the American PSN soon. I know its on Japan's though.

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc

That is the Suikoden that I have heard most about, to be honest because of how rare it is I guess. How does the first one compare to it though? As that is on the american PSN and think that will be my next purchase. Unfortunately though don't think I'l ever get 2 unless it is released on PSN

I'l read up on the other suggestions too

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    So far, I can pretty much second every recommendation on here. Each of the games recommended on here will do more than good enough to keep you entertained Gersfc. I will personally say:

Wild Arms
    Wild Arms II (these are the best two in the series. I love all of them though, so if you like them, give them all a shot).
    Grandia and Grandia II (One is better imo, but most people seem to prefer II. Both are amazing)
    Legend of Legaia: Sir_Scud, you are going to get a +rep from me for recommending this game. One of my favorite PS1 RPG's. The combat system was new and fresh, and the story kept me hooked. There is a second one, but it's no where near as good as the first.

And of Course, the Suikoden series. With the exception of Suikoden IV, they are all gems. II is easily the pinnacle of the series, but unless you play it on an emulator, it's going to kill your wallet buying this game. It costs a crapload (average $200.00 last I checked for a used copy), but for good reason. For it's time, and possibly still today, it stands near the top of what a JRPG should really be like. It's not my favorite game, but it's up there, and I honestly have a hard time finding ANYTHING in that game to criticize.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you pay the Suikoden games, there is NO shame in using a strategy guide. Character recruitments are crucial and a handful in each game are timed. If you want the full experience, play each game twice. Once without the guide, and once with it. And I'll throw it out there now, Suikoden V (one of the better PS2 RPG's) is missing a crucial section. So if you play it, use an online strategy guide, or ask a resident expert on the game.

Important note: Wild Arms and Suikoden are like Final Fantasy. There are elements that are shared in each game (Suikoden games are all in the same world) but each story is a stand alone. You will lose nothing playing them out of order, you just won't understand some of the fan-service and references.
    -FatesServant
    Last edited by FatesServant; 04-18-2013 at 17:14.
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Items Baby ChocoboGhost in the ShellLightningTidusAtlus
    Odin's Sphere.

It's a PS2 Greatest Hits but I never really hear people talk about it. I personally downloaded the digital copy off the PSN as retail copies are going for like 40-50$ a piece (Black labels, that is) But yeah. Vanilla Ware has a GREAT art style and it's just damn beautiful. I haven't played much as I have been playing a lot of FPS's and Sega games lately... But my RPG/JRPG loving side will come through soon enough. Just needed to take a break. I also bought a PS2 finally (FINALLY found a White slim.) so I have ALL the more RPGs to play
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

17. Likes Gers likes this post

Radiata Stories!!!! My favorite ps2 RPG of ALL TIME!

God...no one knows about such a great game. One of the best Rpg stories too. It was sad, hilarious, AND epic.

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbings_ View Post
    Odin's Sphere.

It's a PS2 Greatest Hits but I never really hear people talk about it. I personally downloaded the digital copy off the PSN as retail copies are going for like 40-50$ a piece (Black labels, that is) But yeah. Vanilla Ware has a GREAT art style and it's just damn beautiful. I haven't played much as I have been playing a lot of FPS's and Sega games lately... But my RPG/JRPG loving side will come through soon enough. Just needed to take a break. I also bought a PS2 finally (FINALLY found a White slim.) so I have ALL the more RPGs to play
    Thanks for the head's up man. Have never heard of Odin's Sphere but since it's available on PSN, I'l read up about it and decide whether to buy it or not

PSN ID
    Stabbings_
    Items Baby ChocoboGhost in the ShellLightningTidusAtlus
    Thanks for the head's up man. Have never heard of Odin's Sphere but since it's available on PSN, I'l read up about it and decide whether to buy it or not

I think it's only $4.99 or something stupidly cheap (atleast here in Canada)

I don't think the price will differ that much in GBR, but I could be wrong. Either way, solid game with a refreshing and different take on tradional RPGs.
    PSN iD - Stabbings_

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Quote Originally Posted by honomaru View Post
    Radiata Stories!!!! My favorite ps2 RPG of ALL TIME!

God...no one knows about such a great game. One of the best Rpg stories too. It was sad, hilarious, AND epic.
    Really? I think you're the first person I've heard of to consider Radiata story as their favorite game. I certainly played it, and I had a lot of fun, but the whole timed nature of the game killed it for me. I had a bunch of missions in the works and suddenly the game just catapaulted me into a no return scenario. I simply wasn't ready for it. Honestly, if it hadn't been thrown at me so randomly, I would probably have played through the game a second or third time, especially considering that the game isn't all that incredibly long (the story, anyways). I will definitely say that it was a unique game and I enjoyed it immensely. It was a good experience that I would recommend to people. Glad to know someone was able to appreciate the game for everything it does. Certainly an underrated title.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I'd like to mention this thread has been great, as I've now been looking into many RPGs I've never heard/played before. Now that I'm done with the FF series, time to try some new stuff

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc

RPG Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I'd like to mention this thread has been great, as I've now been looking into many RPGs I've never heard/played before. Now that I'm done with the FF series, time to try some new stuff
    Which games are catching your eye man?

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbings_ View Post
    I think it's only $4.99 or something stupidly cheap (atleast here in Canada)

I don't think the price will differ that much in GBR, but I could be wrong. Either way, solid game with a refreshing and different take on tradional RPGs.
    To be honest I'l probably have to get it through the North American PSN anyway. Most of the games recommended aren't on the European PSN but are on the NA Store.

Good that it's only $4.99, if I get a $15 voucher, I'l still have $10 to play with
    Last edited by Gers; 04-19-2013 at 07:36.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    One more recommendation; Alundra.

Its on the PSN store, and it was basically a Sony published 2D Zelda like game for PS1. It's arguably just as good, or better than any of the 2D Zeldas. Seriously.

The game also had one of the best soundtracks I could remember.

Counting Bro
    PSN ID
    gersfc
    Well just bought Grandia which was recommended. I was also looking at Alundra too (also recommended) but elected to go for Breath of Fire 3.

Just want to say thanks guys, been reading up on a lot of the suggestions and I will be buying more

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Suikoden 1 and 2 are the same but different. Suikoden 1-2-3 all have an interconnecting story but the protagonist(s) are different, but a lot of the supporting cast are the same. The only real differences between 1 and 2 is the story, obviously, and the graphics are cleaner and the story is twice as long. War battles are also done differently.

I was lucky and bought the first one before I got the 2nd one. It is a great game on its own, just hella easy compared to S2 except for 1 specific part that only matters if you want the true (secret) ending. Valeria is also broken beyond belief and she got nerfed, but still not by much, in S2.

That is the Suikoden that I have heard most about, to be honest because of how rare it is I guess. How does the first one compare to it though? As that is on the american PSN and think that will be my next purchase. Unfortunately though don't think I'l ever get 2 unless it is released on PSN

I'l read up on the other suggestions too

I find it strange that nobody mentioned Front Mission 3...
    it's a beautiful game and you should definately try it.

Highly recommend Grandia I have easily put in over 80 hours with no boredom setting in. This is also my 3rd playthrough of it.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information